Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

mTc4ClC.png

Abyss at this point is a Soul Charged Zasalamel though. An Abyss costume would be cool for SC6 but we don't need him as a playable character plus he will return for SC7 anyway so I see no need to have him yet.

@artard4321 — Why is Rock so high on your chopping block list? He’s easily offering the least of the six I posed, unless he does preserve the dual axes style. Is it because of “STONE”? If yes, and I’m assuming Hilde is your “YELL”, then “STAR” is for (guest star), I’d suppose. It’s not that I don’t agree that Hilde is unique and would sell, it’s just the prospect of having a “complete” roster combined with the huge narrative push that SoulCalibur VI has that keeps her out, in my mind.
Aside from the obvious STONE code name, I actually have Rock there because he's part of the SoulCalibur I roster which this game is based on and we're lacking in the "big man" department. We only have Astaroth as our "big man" while other fighting games usually offer a variety. Tekken 7 has Jack, Kuma, and Gigas while Street Fighter V has Birdie, Zangief, and Abigail. At a game design standpoint, the inclusion of Rock with a revamped fighting style can be a great addition to the game for those who want to play a heavy type character that isn't Astaroth.

If Rock does get added, which we expect him to because of STONE, I can only hope that his style of play differs from Astaroth while maintaining the feel of playing a heavy type character.

Also, the narrative thing was thrown out of the window with the addition of Amy. If they can fit her in then they can come up with something for Hilde. Hell, if they can find a way to fit Geralt into the story then they can find a way to fit Hilde. Also, if I recall, someone asked Okubo about whether the game's timeline excludes characters like Z.W.E.I. and Viola as potential DLC characters and he shot it down saying it was a non-factor (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time and I can't find the source). Also, 2B was added into the game without having a Soul Chronicle so I doubt the narrative would be a reason to prevent Hilde from joining the roster.

Last edited:
Regarding the Xi sword and Shield they only have to be items that he carries, it doesn't need gameplay representation.
As a feral lizard, why would he carry tools that he wouldn’t use? He’s also got a shield in that art, much like his Lesser Lizardman brethren. I might believe an origin story where he’s human, having the sword and shield, then casting them aside as he realized what he had become, but he’s posing menacingly in the Schwarzstrom badass poster, as it were, sword and shield proudly displayed.

But that they’ve even bothered to bring the three shields with axes that are already in the game, I don’t see them backpedaling to make Aeon himself use dual axes. Not only that, Lizardman’s story is that of a human meeting a cruel fate, abandoned by the gods, and gradually losing his humanity. This is shown from his transition from sword and shield to axe and shield to dual axes to become more beastly over time.

Aeon can simply have his lore expanded so that he has a history of dual welding axes before being turned into a lizardman and uses them in SC6 when we play him.
I very much doubt it, considering the Spartan encountered in Libra of Soul using a sword and shield like Sophitia. This is another hint that this would be the default weapon for Spartans, for which Lizardman is one. If we were going to push the spear and shield style, it would make far more sense on Aeon than Cassandra as was discussed eons ago.

As for his new abilities in SC5 there's nothing lore wise to say he only got them at that time period, his new abilities are only implied due to what we have seen him do in past games. The wings are the only things that I would say he developed after the events of SC4 but the rest can be in SC6 as is.
Not true, the lore that he got these abilities is that he ate Kratos and absorbed his powers, as well as progressing in the 17 years past the point of having any humanity left, the good sense he would gave to use a shield would be gone, opting for a second weapon.

I mean look at his designs from SC3 and SC5, they're near enough identical so it's not as if he mutated into something vastly different during the events of SC5.
Granted, Aeon is by far the most radically changing character, looks-wise, thanks to the various colors, body part augmentations, frills, feathers, and what have you, at the end of the day, he’s still a lizard, will always be a lizard, and thus will have commonalities between his appearances. He becomes less human and gains powers from eating his foes, “transformation” is a bit of a stretch, but he does evolve over time.

It could have been a thing for SoulCalibur V, alas...

Bangoo would be feasible for using the Aeon dual axes style, too, if they felt changing Rock to do so would be too lateral of a move. It might could be a nice surprise, but it feels like Bangoo is on the same train as Salia, Dürer, Jacker, and Kalnypolok, characters permanently doomed to storyboards, side stories, and concept arts. Maybe seen in-game as a custom character, but not likely beyond that.

i would love that actually, aeon was so fun in SCV. i'd imaging he'd still have some of rock's moves too.

I also wouldn't mind if aeon was brought back as lizardman's soul charge mechanic, though i'm not sure if that's lore friendly.

i actually would be upset if stone referred to rock, as i think it'll be difficult for him to stand out against Astaroth. he'd need a crazy gimmick imo.

Aside from the obvious STONE code name, I actually have Rock there because he's part of the SoulCalibur I roster which this game is based on and we're lacking in the "big man" department. We only have Astaroth as our "big man" while other fighting games usually offer a variety. Tekken 7 has Jack, Kuma, and Gigas while Street Fighter V has Birdie, Zangief, and Abigail. At a game design standpoint, the inclusion of Rock with a revamped fighting style can be a great addition to the game for those who want to play a heavy type character that isn't Astaroth.

If Rock does get added, which we expect him to because of STONE, I can only hope that his style of play differs from Astaroth while maintaining the feel of playing a heavy type character.
This is a fair assessment, it just clashes with the idea of unique fighting styles, since Rock and Astaroth are, in lore, literal copies, so it can be a challenge to truly differentiate them. I believe he is in as well, but he’s still a weaker contribution, from a gameplay standpoint, than Li Long would be.

Also, the narrative thing was thrown out of the window with the addition of Amy. If they can fit her in then they can come up with something for Hilde. Hell, if they can find a way to fit Geralt into the story then they can find a way to fit Hilde. Also, if I recall, someone asked Okubo about whether the game's timeline excludes characters like Z.W.E.I. and Viola as potential DLC characters and he shot it down saying it was a non-factor (correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time and I can't find the source). Also, 2B was added into the game without having a Soul Chronicle so I doubt the narrative would be a reason to prevent Hilde from joining the roster.
This, however, is not. Amy has had her backstory since SoulCalibur II, in Raphael’s profile biographical information. It is simply the first time we see it play out in a story mode, because SoulCalibur II was heavily lacking in that department, having to read stories instead of seeing them, for the most part. Nothing was changed or retconned to allow Amy to fit in SoulCalibur VI’s roster, her story was simply allowed to be seen rather than read for the first time.

The question about character inclusion was posed by Kayane, if memory serves, and Okubo’s response was very much a PR non-answer, a glorified “we’re not ruling anything out, anything’s possible, but we aren’t telling you, go away”. We didn’t know the details of story modes at the time, nor did we have full context of what SoulCalibur VI covers, just bits and pieces. We do now, and contextually, SoulCalibur V characters are impossible, and SoulCalibur IV characters are just out of reach, begging for inclusion but destined for SoulCalibur VII.

As I mentioned in another later post than the one you quoted, Hilde might possibly have an in, and it’s far from impossible, but if they’re keeping her keynote of entering the battlefield when Algol awakens, which hasn’t happened yet, and won’t happen until SoulCalibur VII, then she likely won’t appear until SoulCalibur VII.

2B not getting a Soul Chronicle is also logical, as per her trailer, her story canon takes place well in the future, on 2B’s timeline, on Earth, where Ivy is still alive due to her immortality. It wouldn’t have fit on the SoulCalibur VI timeline, and wouldn’t have added much. Hilde, on the other hand, as well as any other returning non-guest, seems obligated to have a Soul Chronicle, which must obey the timeline, and all events take place before SoulCalibur II starts.

Edit: Typo fix and added ending bit about 2B.

Last edited:
As a feral lizard, why would he carry tools that he wouldn’t use?
There's a period in the lore that he went crazy in a village when the evil seed engulfed the world, he could pick up axes from the village when he goes on a murder spree plus the village could be where he takes up residence meaning he's in the vicinity of his holy weapons. This would also mean we could see and play Aeon in his human form before his capture which I think would be incredible to play through. Also in a way due to all the games Aeon is a weapon master and ambidextrous, his skills are reason why he was picked by Hephaestus and Fygul Cestemus. Really surprised you're not seeing the possibilities for expanding Aeon's backstory.

I very much doubt it, considering the Spartan encountered in Libra of Soul using a sword and shield like Sophitia.
Considering the likes of Azwel and Groh have never been mentioned in cannon until now and the fact LoS is very loose with it's events to the point it's fan tier garbage (meeting Talim in 1586-1587 would make her a literal 10 year old child with teets) you cannot take all the events of LoS with any real merit, the cutscenes are about the only thing that I would say are cannon plus there are two endings based on player choices meaning they're what ifs until SC7 comes around confirming what is cannon.

Not true, the lore that he got these abilities is that he ate Kratos and absorbed his powers, as well as progressing in the 17 years past the point of having any humanity left
I've seen no evidence of this, sounds like fan fiction especially considering the actual God of War games. Kratos killed Ares, Zeus and Hephaestus plus he's alive and well in Norse mythology now. Aeon stronger than Kratos, I think not.

I think SamSho characters are popular but only inside FGC, correct me if i'm wrong but there isn't a character that has a popularity level of Chun Li, or Scorpion for example. That's why it wouldn't make sens to me they put a Samsho guest in SC6, but still everything is possible with Bamco.

Like i think Darli Dagger is cool, but i'd still way rather SC would have its own Black woman Woolie icon rather than just put Darli in SC. Actually what would be sick is that they put a new character that would be an ancestor of Tekken's Raven/Master Raven clan, it may have Raven code on its name or not idk about that, preferably be a female in that case also.

If they're gonna put a guest, at least let it be someone who is super popular, inside and outside of FGC, someone like Geralt for example, someone like Artorias.
I think they should still make their black female character from the Black Panther Warriors from Libra of Souls. She fights with a panther and bow and arrow. She would be an accurate character. Maybe one of the first outright devote Christians in the game because that region of Africa had accepted Christianity at the time. Her panther could or could not be Malfested but their bond could conquer the Evil Seeds corruption. She could be more centered to stopping Azwel rather than Nightmare since he didn’t seem to bother Africa that much. She would also be our first real Black character because there’s no evidence that Zas isn’t just another race/gender inside that black man’s body. So it technically puts in him the list but detached the character as well. That’s just an idea I have shot here and there.

On another note...Their Hong Kong/Taiwan account dropped two videos this morning for Code Vien and the other some Harvest looking game that reminds me of Flint the Time Detective art style. But still nothing on Cassandra. Is Soul Calibur going to be the first one in and the last one out?

There's a period in the lore that he went crazy in a village when the evil seed engulfed the world, he could pick up axes from the village when he goes on a murder spree plus the village could be where he takes up residence meaning he's in the vicinity of his holy weapons. This would also mean we could see and play Aeon in his human form before his capture which I think would be incredible to play through. Also in a way due to all the games Aeon is a weapon master and ambidextrous, his skills are reason why his was picked by Hephaestus and Fygul Cestemus. Really surprised you're not seeing the possibilities for expanding Aeon's backstory.
Playing as Aeon in human form for the first time would be pretty incredible, I’ll admit, much like playing as weakened Cervantes was at the start of his story. And if we do get that, it seems to only strengthen the idea that he will have the Xi Sword, for that part of his Soul Chronicle. I’m all for expanding his backstory, but it needs to remain consistent.

Considering the likes of Azwel and Groh have never been mentioned in cannon until now and the fact LoS is very loose with it's events to the point it's fan tier garbage (meeting Talim in 1586-1587 would make her a literal 10 year old child with teets) you cannot take all the events of LoS with any real merit, the cutscenes are about the only thing that I would are cannon plus there are two endings based on player choices meaning they're what ifs until SC7 comes around confirming what is cannon.
Azwel and Grøh are being used as plot devices to tie some things together and explain some leaps in logic, as tools to help the narrative be cohesive. Azwel is behind the more sinister plots, and Grøh... remains to be seen (though we all know my predictions for his future, by now).

About Talim in Libra of Soul in 1587, they do contextualize her encounter that she is still in training, so it fits. Her gameplay appearance disparity is just like Tira in Soul Chronicle, both Talim and Tira, as well as Amy or anyone else, for the most part, has their appearance as of 1590, as a matter of technical limitation and gameplay mechanics. They weren’t going to make a ten-to-sixteen year old model for Tira fights when she was technically those ages, and the same holds true for Talim, they weren’t going to make another model for her being twelve years old.

I would think it more than reasonable that the “good” ending is canon, considering Libra of Soul could have killed off Azwel, but didn’t, so the likelihood that Grøh is actually dead is slim to none. The different paths hardly alter the story at all, to the point why I’m not even sure why they did the moral choice system in the first place. Tons of questionable design decisions in Libra of Soul.

I've seen no evidence of this, sounds like fan fiction especially considering the actual God of War games. Kratos killed Ares, Zeus and Hephaestus plus he's alive and well in Norse mythology now. Aeon stronger than Kratos, I think not.
I’ll admit, the stretch that Aeon actually ate Kratos is a tongue-in-cheek joke, but it is lorebound that Ares told Aeon to feed on his enemies and he would gain their powers, and he absolutely does do this. Kratos was in Broken Destiny, and if we are canonizing guests, for the sake of argument, it’s technically possible. Perhaps instead of literally eating Kratos, he just got a chunk of his leg, and due to Kratos’s immense power, it rubbed off on Aeon. But yes, it’s mostly a joke that the dual axe style is literally ripped from Kratos, in a shameful lack of shame.

it seems to only strengthen the idea that he will have the Xi Sword
You seem to have this notion that weapons for characters are tied to the hip which isn't true not only for Aeon but for Rock as well as he's gone from a great axe to a great club (if he returns for SC6 he will have his great club as the axe seems redundant at this point in the franchise to use). We are in a fortunate position that the original games only told lore through tales rather than a chain of events like we have seen with SC6, the characters of SC6 have some leniency in this department, you shouldn't be so ridged in your ideas for established characters because as we have seen the stories for SC6 are an expansion not a rewrite. Be optimistic.

You seem to have this notion that weapons for characters are tied to the hip which isn't true not only for Aeon but for Rock as well as he's gone from a great axe to a great club (if he returns for SC6 he will have his great club as the axe seems redundant at this point in the franchise to use). We are in a fortunate position that the original games only told lore through tales rather than a chain of events like we have seen with SC6, the characters of SC6 have some leniency in this department, you shouldn't be so ridged in your ideas for established characters because as we have seen the stories for SC6 are an expansion not a rewrite. Be optimistic.
Because for the most part, they are. Rock’s axe was destroyed by Aeon, as a lore explanation for why he dropped it in favor of the mace, which he wielded from then on. They only wrote that in because of Astaroth taking over the giant axe weapon, to be certain, but by and large, unless there’s a story reason for it, everyone keep their base weapon the same between games.

My money is on Rock having his original axe as well as his hammers. The event where the axe is destroyed will be in his Soul Chronicle.

I agree that the story being told as a single narrative is much stronger than it was before, and that it opens all kinds of opportunities for expansion and depth, and in that regard, I don’t think I’m not being optimistic. The stories have taken what already existed and expanded on them, but they haven’t, for the most part, just thrown things away for no good reason.

Because of the recent discussion of Aeon/Lizardman I've just come across this.

Guess we could have Hilde's moveset after all. :P

I'm just going to come right out and say it: I like Dampierre. I think they should add Dampierre (or at least his style) to every Soul Calibur game. It is the most fun and unique style to play, and it's nice having a sort of jokey character in the game.
It's nice to meet someone sharing your unpopular opinion.
Le Bello!

Back