Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I’m still curious how an archery-based character would work. Probably has moves like the polearms up close but at reduced range (like Groh’s when both blades are attached) and arrows would be good for playing keepaway with some Cervantes shenanigans.

But I could guard and kick..? And I checked to see if a button was physically stuck and it wasnt. It resolved itself as soon as the round ended.

I’ve also never had an issue with a button physically being stuck before.
Well, it's not 100% certain, but I will say that on more than one occasion I've had exactly the symptoms you describe (some buttons working, some not, sometimes relieved partially by exiting a match or game, sometimes not), and I jiggled every button on the control, to the point where I was satisfied it was not the cause of the input lockdown. I then moved on to trouble-shooting every possible software/hardware issue I could find for that particular console and/or game. And only after eliminating all other possibilities did I come back to the controller to do a deep clean and discover that, yes indeed, something was sticking intermitently (but non-obviously) and this was cancelling some (but not all) other inputs. So I've learned to treat that as the default assumption with that particular issue. It's not the only possible explanation, but in my experience (especially with the most recent generation of hardware) it's the most likely one, even if it doesn't seem to be so at first.

I’m still curious how an archery-based character would work. Probably has moves like the polearms up close but at reduced range (like Groh’s when both blades are attached) and arrows would be good for playing keepaway with some Cervantes shenanigans.
Could be like Viola from Eternal Sonata, using punches and kicks up close, with knockback, then firing arrows to follow-up.

Stab people with arrows when up close, and have several keep away type moves to regain distance.
I think its still a terrible idea. I mean, one has to suspend disbelief for all Soulcalibur movesets, but that would be truly awkward/unbelievable looking. Some guests have featured bows/crossbows mixed into their repertoire and that's all well and good. But a full-on bow-melee fighter? Goofy in the extreme.

Season 2 CaS
DLC CaS A.2
DLC CaS B.2
latest
DLC CaS C
latest
DLC CaS D
latest

Wait is this legit?

Which game in the series would you say is more casual friendly? SC2 or SC6?

I'm encouraging a friend to try for the offline content, but I can't help but feel that SC2 has that in spades. Libra of Souls has the weapon master component but it doesn't feel very fun or compelling to me...

At the same time SCVI has the fabled character creator though.

Soulcalibur III is the perfect SC game to me, and I hope we get a revival of some of the systems/modes from SCIII in SCVII. COTS, Tales of Souls and Soul Arena were innovative ways to build off of SCII's accessibility and innovation.

While you are correct, I cannot recommend SC3 to people unless they are willing to use a PS2 or an emulator.

With SC2, you can play on 360, ps3 or now XBOX One. And then the gamecube emulation seems to be the easiest and pain free of the standard def era of gaming.

I feel that the development philosophy going into SC2 is something we will never get again in a soulcalibur game.

So I love 6 for the revival that it is, but it's trying to compete in this esports, dlc, microtransaction streaming market. Whereas SC2 was a standalone package full of unlockable content and singleplayer modes. The great competitive aspect of it was the cherry on top, not the sole driving force.

I hope SCVII can bring us back to this approach with at least standard offline modes like survival, time attack, etc. Because unlockables don't seem to be something that will ever return.

There's a dimension out there in which the latest SC game is the perfect cocktail of 2's music and costume variety, 3's single-player content and newcomer quality, 4's... something, 5's stages, and 6's, you know, actually good gameplay/tight character balance.

I feel that the development philosophy going into SC2 is something we will never get again in a soulcalibur game.
I felt it was more "SoulCalibur was already perfect. How do we make it better?".

4's roster as a whole, to be honest. Just add Hwang to it and I'd have no complaints. Would prefer Grøh/Azwel over Algol as well.
There's no reason why Hwang and Li Long shouldn't have made it to SoulCalibur IV, when Amy did. If they had brought all three of them, it would be practically a perfect roster. But SoulCalibur IV has clunky gameplay... that's its biggest flaw. That and the terrible online netcode.

Back