SOULCALIBUR 6: News, leaks and information discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitsurugi & Sophitia: Iconic characters. Have crossed over.
Groh, Xianghua, Kilik, Nightmare: Seem like central characters to the story.

I'm guessing the priorities will be Ivy and Taki next since they tend to be early reveals (along with Natsu.) Popular characters from the early games. Keep in mind Ivy seems hard to program and probably so would Voldo so he would be in the following reveal. I'd rather they just get Siegfried over with. Of course Maxi also seems like a possibility.

I'd love it if the alternate costumes the characters got actually served as indications of story progression, so that we can easily rectify discrepancies like Nightmare/Siegfried. Like, once you get past the point where Sieg frees himself, Nightmare's alternate design is used from that point forward. Since it seems like recolors are used for mirror matches, for now. I wouldn't be surprised if the other costumes are held back from being revealed for story purposes.

EDIT: Shower thought, it'd be weird if the new costume still had Sieg's distorted voice. Ah well.

Last edited:
Ok so I wasnt the only person that thought feet looked bad.

Armor break is really horrible and I'm able to get over the small gripes but this here is really unforgivable I dont want to have a shirtless barefoot character by the final round with clubbed feet. Besides its like they dont want people to appreciate the time and effort that went into the design when you can just knock all the designs off the character.

Bad mechanic that needs to be looked at.

Aesthetically there is a noticeable difference between undressing your character (like a CAS) or showing your character with their clothing damaged by an opponent (mainly SC4 armor breaks). Losing an entire article of clothing seems unpolished and imo the only exceptions would be a headpiece (helmet, hat, eyepatch..etc) but that is probably human nature to pay extra attention to another person's face.

What I've noticed is that the texture files of the SC4 armor breaks were more-or-less the same as the unbroken state (save for darkened shadows in certain areas) plus transparency where the rips in the clothing occured.

The characters aren't all finished yet, and graphics polishing will be one of the last things they do. I don't understand griping about graphics right now.
There's a reason I noted that the textures look rough in the game's current state.

That aside, the DOF issue has been a persistent complaint. If they're actually improving that, that's a good thing. Not a gripe.

I imagine the reason armor breaks cause more dynamic change in appearance in SC6 is because unless I'm missing something they have no HUD element for showing it, so you'll have to be able to tell what's already been broken from a glance at the character.

But it looks bad and weird, and that doesnt explain losing your shoes.

Mortal Kombat did a thing where you could notice tears and rips in clothing, scars, blood, dirt and mud. Thats "dynamic"

Having your shoes blown off to reveal one gigantic toe with lines separating them into chicken fingers is pretty bad.

Team Soul has this antiquated "cool clothing deterioration during a match!!!" mechanic that had more of a place as a PS2 game.

At least have an option to disable in a tournamet mode or something. Yikes.

Ecchi is very popular in Japan.

Much of what I find exasperating about SC is because of Japanese taste / market. Siegfried's impossibly thick 1500 lb sword with a stick hilt and no pommel, modern-anime-inspired (rather than historical-fantasy-oriented) characters, loli, ecchi, armor break, Dampierre's butt-poke, characters announcing moves in cinematic cutscenes, etc. Of course, there are also aspects I enjoy that are due to Japanese influence, e.g. Yoshimitsu's hilarious weirdness, mystical / magical abilities, kiai… Just wish SC as a series was tilted slightly more towards the serious end of the spectrum.

I don't understand griping about graphics right now.

Graphics can be refined somewhat, e.g. with respect to lighting, DoF, and special effects. Maybe small model and animation tweaks too. But the fundamental engine, modeling, animating and texturing is already done. We're almost certainly not going to see a huge improvement or an essentially different system.

Therefore it is somewhat disappointing that we are re-using models from SCIV & SCV, as well as an engine from years ago. The improvement from SCV to SCVI appears incremental at best, rather than wowing with next-gen level work. Fighting games used to be able to push hardware to the limit since they featured relatively few models & environments. SCVI looks more like warmed-up leftovers than a stunning new cuisine. Now, the baseline is already high – it is not like SCV looked bad per se. But it is arguably no longer impressive.

Subjectively, I also find it annoying that the focus appears to be on stuffing the game full of special effects (explosions, trails, energy splashes, etc.) that make it harder to see the actual fight going on. It may be flashy at first but feels like it will be tiresome and detract from the main event, viz. a clash of two weapon-wielding warriors. Again, it's moving away from the idea of historical fantasy, and more towards anime magic. I know that is a big part of SC's DNA… I'm just saying my personal ideal for the series lies on a slightly different point on the spectrum of realism vs. cartoon.

All of this is coming off more negatively than I intend. In reality I am hyped for the game and eagerly consuming all the new content. I also understand that people have different tastes.

Last edited:
These are all the by-product of esports and marketing towards casual gamers who think Third Strike is boring and Marvel vs Capcom 2 was too hard to play.

Didn't someone say that Kilik's is the only soul charge with unique properties?

Thus far, the ones with the most unique properties are Groh's and Kilik's. With Groh, he gains the ability to use additional strings and the ability to teleport in addition to infinite use of his CE. With Kilik, boosted damage on all his attacks plus a different CE from his normal.

The transformation thing really bugs me. I get how theyre doing the SC2 thing where Soul Charge changes the properties of certain moves but in 6 it actually drains from a meter and opens up new moves, still not a bad thing but the transformation is still weird when you see kilik transform right back after the meter drains...evil seed didnt work that way

Maybe I'm being too critical, but we have been down this "make the game cool for casuals" road before and SC has died in less than a year every time.

Cant go wrong when you have the blessing of your core base. I need Namco to take that into consideration.

The transformation thing really bugs me. I get how theyre doing the SC2 thing where Soul Charge changes the properties of certain moves but in 6 it actually drains from a meter and opens up new moves, still not a bad thing but the transformation is still weird when you see kilik transform right back after the meter drains...evil seed didnt work that way
He's wearing the mirror still though so the evil seed shouldn't even be possible. Makes me think of Edgemasters' SC1 ending.

But it looks bad and weird, and that doesnt explain losing your shoes.

Mortal Kombat did a thing where you could notice tears and rips in clothing, scars, blood, dirt and mud. Thats "dynamic"

Because you notice if your shoes are gone. You don't notice so easily if there are just smudges of mud on your ass or a bleeding kneecap.

Sure it looks ridiculous, not denying that. But from what I understand it isn't just a cosmetic thing this time around, so it has to be immediately recognizable through all the movement and effects. If you have to look too hard to see the subtle change to the model then the mechanic becomes fundamentally useless.

Equipment destruction is back to how it was on SoulCalibur IV, where broken areas take more damage, so there is that, but there is something else that SoulCalibur IV had that SoulCalibur VI could also easily have, which would take out the need for over the top breaking, the meters on the left and right:

vASuzpW.jpg

I honestly don't understand why so many of you hate the armour breaks so much. Yes, they don't make much sense, but if they don't change the gameplay or stats in any way? It doesn't make much sense, but I like armour breaks. Tbh it feels lazy that you mostly lose whole parts of it, when SCIV had nice details like torn cloth, but whatever really.

Last edited:
It wasn't nearly so bad on the main cast in SoulCalibur IV. If it could be implemented that way across the board, custom characters included, I don't think many would have a problem with it. It's just that having your characters reduced to just underwear is very much defeating the purpose of having detailed designs in the first place, not only for custom characters but also for the main characters for SoulCalibur VI we've seen so far except Nightmare.

I honestly don't understand why so many of you hate the armour breaks so much. Yes, they don't make much sense, but if they don't change the gameplay or stats in any way? I doesn't make much sense, but I like armour breaks. Tbh it feels lazy that you mostly lose whole parts of it, when SCIV had nice details like torn cloth, but whatever really.
Theres a certain character that the game has when you have a fully clothed Ivy vs Mitsurigi in beautifully designed costumes themed around the story.

A naked ken doll vs a naked barbie doll is just kinda ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back