Soulcalibur V Art/Wallpapers

Going 180° in direction, this old guy gets absolutely no love as a character... but man, those eyes....

Edgemaster - Grisly
Ap5SqfI.jpg

Sure, all the attention goes to the glam and glitz, pretty designs/customizations, big strong muscles and boobs from the rest of cast but let's be clear about one thing. This old guy can whoop all their asses...

Looks dope

Good stuff. She looks a lot like viola anyway you look at it.
Are the body proportions in SC5 and SC4 identical for returning cast?

I never really looked in detail to compare the other models between the two games for any similarities/differences in size, scale and/or proportion. Generally, it looks to be the same as I think they didn't change the base reference for environmental constants. Aesthetically, all of these characters sure did age well if we are to believe the 17 years that have passed ~ if they were any more true to life, I'm not sure how people would really respond to that. lol

Amy / Viola don't share same proportions for obvious reasons. Amy is younger, shorter so her face is like shrunken in leaving the eyes to look a tad bit bigger. It's basically the same approach as you would when you draw human/age proportions in graphic illustrations. That is if they are the same character to begin with but I agree, those eyes are a dead giveaway. That isn't to say Project Soul could make up some crazy BS story to the contrary.

I can say however that Ivy did not go down in (cup) size as one might assume (in response to the developer supposedly "toning down the game") ~lol. Infact they stayed practically the same. But then again, all of the model constraints can be controlled as desired by a variable setting in relationship to bone attachment, vertex scale of polygons, and physics. That's basically how the CAS bodies are setup - they are essential one-size fit all and just tailored to each character with preset variables to handle those constraints.

24wrnz5.jpg

ofga1.jpg

ZuNi7SF.gif

larger youtube link: http://youtu.be/oT-SyTiyLnk
Soul Calibur already has a very detailed "breast physics" engine. That other "notable" game out there? What's this "soft engine" they speak of?

But oddly Ivy in her default 2P outfit, she's looks a bit slimmer but probably intentionally so since the concept design was by Mari Shimazaki who helped design character concepts for Bayonetta, (who's characters are way more proportionally exaggerated - tall & statuesque with super long legs to flail blade and pistols).

Anyways, here's an inspiration from the other night after an evening of way too many drinks...
Finally got around to putting this to digital paper... lol

Ivy Valentine - Go Home, You're Drunk!
mWAkB5H.jpg

Those of you who remember the official promotional ads prior to Soul Calibur V's release will recognize the parody. The original advertisement was somewhat similar with a different color scheme and read something to the effect of "Go Big or Go Home" - at least the English language versions.

Last edited:
very informative. I've always been interested if the default T-pose for the cast were true to their biographical heights. Obviously you told me that there is a variable regarding bone attachement (hence the giant hands) but I'd imagine that the bone-joint variables is universal amongst all the regular cast.

Just out of curiosity (and I wished I woulda gotten into 3D graphics)- what program are the above screens from?

I've always been interested if the default T-pose for the cast were true to their biographical heights. Obviously you told me that there is a variable regarding bone attachement (hence the giant hands) but I'd imagine that the bone-joint variables is universal amongst all the regular cast.

Yeah I noticed that with a lot of the popular XNALara/GMOD Source models since it seems to be the raw model that were directly ported over, particularly with the hands being larger than normal. I imagine the hands were modeled that way for a reason because of the nature of the game since everyone is carrying a weapon of some sort so the need for more intricate bone and related kinematics that have to go along with it. Other fighting games probably don't have to worry about this so much since they are simply hand to hand brawlers.

p1En1uX.gif

Some examples of proportional changes applied whose constraints are independent from model mesh.

Like in all games and 3D applications, the model-mesh is rigged to the bones but the actual anatomy here is corrected by other elements within the game engine. Animation that is unique to each character are applied to the bone and thus variables to other components in procedural order. There's obviously a "human" bone for male and female gender but then there's also non-human characters to account for like Nightmare and Lizardman. I believe Yoshi has his own unique structure as well if I recall.

The model height is actually true to the standard they set out when they designed all these characters - just like in that (infamous) breast size chart which also shows character height. So yes, Amy and Talim would be anatomically shorter than the other characters in the game. Here's a T-pose screenshot showing the said height sizes.

2zf4io6.jpg

Yeah Natsu is actually really tall but her hair gives her some added height - just like in that chart.

Just out of curiosity (and I wished I woulda gotten into 3D graphics)- what program are the above screens from?

These are screenshots from the very last version of Softimage aka XSI - one of the best 3D programs out there (IMO) since its initial release in 2000. Autodesk, the guys who make AutoCAD acquired the company in 2008. They are discontinuing it at the end of the year ... mother @&#*(&$!... so they can focus and port the tech behind this software into their other flagship 3D programs - Maya & 3DS Max, both of which I really don't care for.

BTW, you guys check out that cheesy b-rated web flick (homage to the 80's/90's cliché) that's making the rounds - Kung Fury? lol... my kind of film... I would love to make a cheesy b-rated Tarantino-esque grungy grindhouse Soul Calibur spin-off movie -lol

Last edited:
Following on the heels of more "Cervantes-esque", here's his "feminine side" if you will...

Shura - Lone Woman
N3a0Nrp.jpg

Designed by artist Hiroyu Oku (creator of manga series Gantz), I guess she's another popular character among SC fans. Again, it's too bad she was never endowed with any unique weapons or fighting styles. However I always felt that out of all the other female characters her "endowments" were somewhat unique and peculiar... probably because well, they seem to gravitate more naturally? ~lol

So you're sitting alone in a tavern having a drink, and a beautiful woman wearing a translucent veil starts looking at you with these piercing eyes offering if you want to play with her pink glow ball...

Viola - Serenade Gypsy Glow
I2q4PL4.jpg

...then she starts speaking gibberish about how the Moon is red like wine and other silly metaphors about the heavens and the stars, pretty colors and odd shapes. She murmurs something about "effort" and "talent" being "meaningless" and suddenly forgets what she said to you in the last half hour.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, haven't updated here all week. Started work last week after a long vacation, so I need to get myself oriented with stuff at work (it's like riding a bicycle). Moving forward, I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do stuff around here but I'm sure I will want to whenever I can. Anyways, this weekend I will be putting together my main rig that I mentioned a few posts back since I have all the needed parts now. I think I may even be able to build another extra system or two (HTPC?) with some old spare parts lying around so after this build I may end up just doing that.

Anyways, I don't want to turn this into a discussion about CPU parts, so if anyone is interested, here are the specs.
1zh2r93.jpg

New system
CPU: i7 5960x Extreme 8 core/16 thread processor
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth X99
Memory: 32GB DDR4 Quad Channel
Graphics: Asus Strix Nvidia GTX 970
Storage: 240GB SSD system drive, 3TB secondary drive, 2x2TB Raid 0 scratch disk, 240GB SSD cache dedicated, 4TB backup storage
CPU Cooling: Noctua D15 air cooler (sucker is HUGE!)
Power: Seasonic 1050W
Case: Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra Tower

If I overclock the CPU (why wouldn't you with an Extreme edition chip and that big ass cooler?), I will at least get it to the same level as my previous system to at least 4Ghz. For me, first and foremost, stability is far more important than trying to benchmark performance. There's nothing more frustrating than putting together a new system and then trying to use it only to have it crash repeatedly while doing important work.

This is replacing my old rig which I still plan to keep and use as backup, renderfarm, and in case I need to access any old legacy stuff.

Old system
CPU: i7 990x Extreme 6 core/12 thread processor
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth X58
Memory: 24GB DDR3 Triple Channel
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 570
Storage: 256GB SSD system drive, 3TB secondary drive, 2x1TB Raid 0 scratch disk, 240GB SSD cache dedicated, 3TB backup storage
Power: Seasonic 1050W
Case: moving into Coolermaster HAF-922 mid tower

spares
CPU: i7 4770s, i5-4360T, i5-2500K

If I end up building another rig with the spare parts I have, I may just end up ponying up the money for the newly released GTX 980Ti and just move the GTX 970 into the HTPC rig (well if it fits) rather than go with something smaller.

Man!

Those computers are only 1.5 million times better than mine!

Do stuff when you can & want, you've already given us many masterpieces, we can wait.

Man!
Those computers are only 1.5 million times better than mine!
Do stuff when you can & want, you've already given us many masterpieces, we can wait.

You know I hate computers for a living ~lol. But anyone born from 1970s onwards, it's a part of your life (give or take). My first computer was a Commodore 64. It had a whopping 64K (kilobyte) of memory. It was awesome because it had the best graphics at the time - full 16 colors (screw Apple and IBM with their boring monochrome screens) - it was basically an Atari on steroids, lol (you can even plug two Atari controllers to it). It was certainly way ahead of its time, boots up instantly (no loading, just flick the switch) even went "online" back then with 300 Baud modem over a phone line even though there was no "internet". Of course telling this to anyone born in this century will probably have no clue what I'm talking about or any idea what that was like... cycle of life and death - grand.

Were you in Japan back in the day when Velfarre was still operating in Roppongi?
I got into Japanese pop culture from all that... lol. Listened to a lot of Trf. Those were the days. State side, it was places like the Tunnel and Limelight in NYC, my college years, that's like ancient history now...

I know TRF & may even have 1 of their CDs.

I don't go to Roppongi.

Have been in Japan since '92.

Back