Soulcalibur VI General Roster Speculation Thread

SoulCalibur VI: which 3 characters do you most hope for?

• A brand new character

• Amy

• Cassandra

• Hilde

• Hwang/Yunsung and/or Lizardman

• Rock

• Setsuka

• Viola

• Z.W.E.I.

• Other: Abyss, Algol, Dampierre, Elysium, Leixia, Li Long, Patroklos, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
But the animation is not the same. I literally just showed it. They could maybe have redone a few animations for when the Lizardman race uses Sophitia's style, but that's an inordinate amount of effort for what is clearly the cheapest game in the series.
If you see the frame people paused showing him standing as Sophitia the shield itself looks slightingly closer to his body, I imagine it is due to how the anatomy of the model works.

@LisaK The only weapons that Sophitia and Cassandra shared in SoulCalibur III were the Omega Sword and Blue/Red Crystal Rod. And starting with SoulCalibur III, Cassandra got the Digamma Sword instead, and stopped using the Red Crystal Rod, which I feel like was just put in out of obligation. I would say Sophitia/Cassandra and Patroklos/Pyrrha are about equal in sharing/not sharing weapons.

That being said, Lizardman has always had his own weapons, ever since getting his axe. And Sophitia only got the Xi Sword in SoulCalibur II, and stopped having it after that. I feel like it would be reasonable to assume that Lizardman in SoulCalibur VI would have the Xi Sword as his primary weapon, with his axes as alternate weapons.

The Lizard CaS shows the same idle pose as sophitia but when you compare the block animation and block pose, sophitias arms go straight into the block while the lizardmans arms fall and then raise into the pose similar to that picture.

I'm not Lisa but that's a good point. Maybe we might get some more unexpected weapons. At least the nodachi is back, but it wouldn't suit any of my main CaS OCs. Nightmare also has a japanese club/kanabo for fans of a certain monster girl.

I don't know if the arcade SC2 which lacked Sophie had the alternate weapons. SC2 regardless had the best weapon variety but so did Soul Blade of all games. I think looking at the wiki Sophie had a rapier before the Sorels. Let's hope there's a good weapon variety.

@LisaK The only weapons that Sophitia and Cassandra shared in SoulCalibur III were the Omega Sword and Blue/Red Crystal Rod. And starting with SoulCalibur III, Cassandra got the Digamma Sword instead, and stopped using the Red Crystal Rod, which I feel like was just put in out of obligation. I would say Sophitia/Cassandra and Patroklos/Pyrrha are about equal in sharing/not sharing weapons.
I was talking about the design of the shields being the same (ice - fire blade/ metesashi & dark blade), the swords are different. The shields of Pyrrha and Patroklos have more variety in terms of design.
Sophie x Cassie_SandS.jpg
Pyrrha x Patroklos_SandS.png

Last edited:
Ok so Cervantes got leaked, they showed tira and Okubo confirmed the wizard guy as playable his name probably being Azwel. This leaves us 3 slots left. My bets on Raphael, Hwang and Lizardman. What's your guess? Who do you want it to be?

However I'm torn between Lizardman and Inferno for the last slot

Do to Lizard men being a CAS race

For me the only reasonable characters for the last 3 slots are Raphael, Hwang/Yun seong, Lizardman, edge master or inferno. Let's be honest hilde and Cassandra and characters like them will be DLC

As for the CAS slot id imagine you click on tira 3 blank slots will appear and the CAS slot as well

If we get Raph and Yun/Hwang, then I presume the DLC is going to be waifus. Whee. I may use them for parts, especially if Setsuka gets that long ponytail she had in IV since Taki's is too short.

Tbh the last 3 slots could be Raphael, Inferno, and the CAS slot and make Hwang/Yun Seong DLC hopefully not

I was talking about the design of the shields being the same (ice - fire blade/ metesashi & dark blade), the swords are different. The shields of Pyrrha and Patroklos have more variety in terms of design.
Ah, yeah, well I feel like most of that can be attributed to SoulCalibur II having too many weapons per character, and they put the design focus on the weapons, not the shields. This stopped being an issue with SoulCalibur III after the weapons per character number was dropped.

Either way, I think Lizardman has more than enough chance to be in the game, for the arguments brought up in this thread. Sophitia herself having axes is just weird, very different to Xiba having a halberd or Leixia having a curved sword. Imagine doing Twin Angel Step with an axe?

Going by that logic, Nightmare shouldn't be holding Soul Edge with one hand because he didn't do that until SCIII (after Siegfried broke free of Nightmare, no less). Well, here we are...
What does that have to do with anything? I'm showing that the generic Lizardman in that trailer has the same blocking animation as SC1's Lizardman. I don't understand how having one type of Nightmare precludes us from having an unrelated type of Lizardman.
If you see the frame people paused showing him standing as Sophitia the shield itself looks slightingly closer to his body, I imagine it is due to how the anatomy of the model works.
And if you see the frame I posted you can see that it's the same one as the SC1 Lizardman animation. My point is that these pieces of information contradict each other and we don't know which one is more telling (though I will say that we don't see the beginning of the animation, so he could be transitioning from an attack into blocking—favoring the not-clone interpretation).
I feel like it would be reasonable to assume that Lizardman in SoulCalibur VI would have the Xi Sword as his primary weapon, with his axes as alternate weapons.
Yes this is what I think. The clipping of the ax with the shield probably means that, if Lizardman is a proper character with his own style, the sword is his primary weapon and the ax is just an alt.

I'm leaning towards CaS being the slot opposite of random or Inferno. They're probably interchangeable.

If Inferno is not playable, not!Jafar will be in its slot. Either one seems like he'll be unlockable in some way if that center icon means anything. An unlocked-by-default Azwel will be on top with Cervantes as his "rival."

Voldo and Astaroth seem to be obvious opponents to Yoshimitsu and Maxi.

Raphael and maybe Cassie will oppose each other on the row with Mitsurugi's trio (w/ Geralt and Taki.) They generally come off as opponents to one another. Raphael could be on top if Inferno isn't playable and the wizard is unlockable. Both of them are malfested fathers of sorts who become humanoid monsters.

Worst case scenario has Rock and Aeon being opponents to one another.

Koreans and Talim will be at the bottom rows as they're generally buddy-buddy with each other.

I'm hoping they do something different with Lizardman this time. Perhaps... sword/axe??

IMO it was quite a dumb move to put his race on CAS. People who want his model, want his moveset. I dont think it will look right to see Lizardmen doing anything else. Just like it didnt look right to see human CAS using Lizardman's style. I mean we gotta figure you cant change much with that model anyway. Will it have voices? Or a difference in gender? They should scrapped him as a race and instead just gave us Lizardman.

I'm fine with having Lizardman as a race and Lizardman as a character. More options is never a bad thing, an artificial limitation that existed before no longer exists, and I'm always glad for more freedoms. I'm assuming we'll get monster sounds and growls finally in customs, which was a long time request for people in CaS, same for being able to make skeletons and other races without worrying about armor break ruining the character by destroying their racial features as was the case with SoulCalibur V.

It's going to be hard taking them serious with Sophie's style doing girly twirls and stuff. Did I bring up how Mi-Na and Siegfried lack the supernatural abilities their replacements got for their CEs? Same with Lizzy and possibly Yun-Hwang since Xianghua uses some of that SC power.

Ok, let's actually analyze this bitch frame by frame.

liz2.png

• Frame 1: at first glance this looks just like like Sophitia's idle stance. It could also be a transitional frame from a shared move, like AA or something, which he whiffed right before the start of the shot. Inconclusive by itself, but clearly not representative of the entire animation as we can see with the rest of the frames next to it.
  • Frame 2: Another transitional frame.
  • Frames 3 and 4: these look identical to his SC1 idle.
  • Frame 5 and 6: I've already compared these to Sophitia's and old Lizzy's block stances, and they look pretty different, especially the position of the arms.
This analysis paints a very different picture from the single frame people have been posting. I'm a bit more optimistic about his chances now, though of course we'll have to see.

Would his axe, assuming he's using Aeon's style, really clip like that though? I do know that Aeon would have a sword...

...Unless it's Cassie...

Let's start with what we have, for absolutely certain:
Code:
            Siegfried  Zasalamel  Nightmare  
Xianghua    Maxi       Sophitia              Ivy
Yoshimitsu  Kilik                 Grøh       
            Mitsurugi  Geralt     Taki       
                                             Random

I see these slots as non-negotiable, personally:
Code:
            Siegfried  Zasalamel  Nightmare  Lizardman
Xianghua    Maxi       Sophitia   Astaroth   Ivy
Yoshimitsu  Kilik      Inferno    Grøh       Voldo
            Mitsurugi  Geralt     Taki       Cervantes
                       Wizardman             Random
Astaroth and Voldo, I feel like we've all kinda agreed that that's where they're going to go. Lizardman, if included, which seems like he really will be, should ride with the Schwarzwind square in the upper right corner. Inferno and Wizardman being important plot-central characters and unlockables, in all likelihood, puts them in the center. Inferno being in the center of everything also carries great symbolism. Cervantes only has two spots left on the "evil" side, and vertically opposite his daughter makes more sense than otherwise.

We still have Seong Mi-na, Talim, and Tira to place among these slots, and Tira only really has one possible spot, that being below Taki, considering that's the only "evil" slot left. Though Seong Mi-na is pursuing Soul Edge, this means she has to be somewhere on the left, but opposing Tira just doesn't seem right. I don't even really think she qualifies at having a rival among any known characters, which is why I put her in the lower left corner. Same goes for Talim, who could go in the center, like Zasalamel, but she's just not important enough to the plot which seems to be what the center pillar is all about, so the only really other logical spot for her is below Yoshimitsu.

That leaves speculation, and why I feel like the other two characters are Hwang and Raphael. Hwang works to oppose Lizardman, since they shared a stage in SoulCalibur, and he also fits right in with the "heroes" section of the board, since he replaced Xianghua for Korean versions of the game, so being right next to her makes a good deal of sense. And Raphael and Tira were in opposition in the SoulCalibur III title movie, so their "rivalry" has somewhat a precedent, though that's kinda weak, I'll admit, it's at least something. So this is why I believe the final result has to be:

Code:
Hwang        Siegfried  Zasalamel  Nightmare  Lizardman
Xianghua     Maxi       Sophitia   Astaroth   Ivy
Yoshimitsu   Kilik      Inferno    Grøh       Voldo
Talim        Mitsurugi  Geralt     Taki       Cervantes
Seong Mi-na  Raphael    Wizardman  Tira       Random

Back