Sword State Tips

BLDave

[09] Warrior
just a worthwhile thread sniped off of CF.com, thought the people here would like to see it too.

'Sword stance tips? Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a couple weeks now to improve my play. I decided to use ivy in sc4 because i've always thought she was unique. I've had a lot of success with her, but I'm having a lot of trouble learning to use her sword form. Are there any pointers or tactics that can help me improve?'

Sword stance or SW is, in my opinion, her hands down best stance. In fact, i find myself using it almost exclusively.

some great tools;

FC 3B - bread and butter of this stance. long range low that gives advantage on any hit, and is safe on block. Abuse this and make people really really want to block low. This is the glue that holds sword stance pressure together.

6 - great move, decent damage, good adv. Good to interrupt when you can, and a decent punisher, assuming youre in range.

3B - TOO good. safe, pushes out and forces crouch on block. hurts the guard meter quite a bit, advantage forever on hit and damage forever (for now) on CH. i spam this move like its my job, and really, why not.

66B - advancing high. use it carefully. you want people to block this. rapes guard.

WS B - damage forever (for now). this makes people NEVER EVER EVER want to block low versus ivy. mix it in with FC 3B and watch people simply shut down

2A- staple for people who try to interrupt or for ivy to interrupt with.

WS A - catches step, good damage, and good advantage on hit. use this to train people to not step against FC 3B/WS B mixup. again, these 3 moves can shut an entire game down.

66A- stops step, adv on hit.

she has other good stuff, but if you play it smart, using this move set can allow you to FIRMLY control the pacing of a match. there are few things in this game as high pressure as ivy crouching at point blank range, because she can KEEP giving herself advantage while the opponent has to make a choice between

-interrupt and get ticked out of it because ivy is at advantage

-step and get CH out of it by 2A or WS A, both give advantage

-block high and eat FC 3B which resets the mixup, leaving ivy at advantage

-block low and take back advantage, but the risk is eating a WS B, which no one wants to do

guess right a few times and you can watch a good players brain actually turn into powder.

there's a bit more to it than that of course, and its not a win button, but it is very strong tactic out of a very strong stance

Sword Stance

Great info.. It's cool to see everything you do on screen written down. Now If only I could figure out how to get in sword stance in the first place. :P

Sword Stance

Add CS/CS JF to the lockdown Dave.

And Coiled has a very strong mixup as well but this is about Sword stance, not Coiled.

Sword Stance

CL A+B mixup? I abuse the living hell out of that.

CS is the single scariest piece in the arsenal for SW. If you're not scaring them to duck up close, you're doing something wrong.

Sword Stance Tips

Sadly... Ivy only has 2 Flashing JF attacks. They are of course iCS and the 5-Hit Mistresses Justice.

Sword Stance Tips

Sadly... Ivy only has 2 Flashing JF attacks. They are of course iCS and the 5-Hit Mistresses Justice.

This 5-Hit Mistresses Justice is the most difficult move of Ivy for me, even comparing to iCS. I can hardly execute the third or the fourth flash. Orz

By the way, I was wondering that what is this flash in the below video, at 0:30.
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mbLQfJVxE&fmt=18
That happens to me sometime. Being hit, surely not am I performing iCS.
Could it possibly due to ukemi or something like that?

Sword Stance Tips

By the way, I was wondering that what is this flash in the below video, at 0:30.
http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9mbLQfJVxE&fmt=18
That happens to me sometime. Being hit, surely not am I performing iCS.
Could it possibly due to ukemi or something like that?
It's a just ukemi some moves let you perform just ukemis so you can recover earlier/faster.

Real helpful guide btw really helped me a lot since i had no idea what to do in sword stance haha other than 6 heh

Sword Stance Tips

Thank You! Having practiced these Sword State tips has saved my ass more times than I can count. I still don't rely on Sword as a main stance, but these are absolute essentials to know for any Ivy that a) accidentally gets stuck in Sword and doesn't know what to do with it or b) is getting her ass handed to her by someone that knows all of her Whip/Coil tricks, and needs to pull off a fast change-up.

Sword Stance Tips

Also, guys don't forget to show some love for: SW 1K
- Very fast, so good interrupter
- Mix-ups (SW 1KBK) are decent
- Very good opportunity to buffer iCS (especially on CH)
Dunno, but this knee works perfectly for me!

Also another somehow useful tool of SW is: SW 6B8 (or SW 8B+K) (better known as lick)
- Nice "punishing" tool (ok, little damage of course)
- Mix-ups (SW 6B8,K or SW 8B+K,K) are decent

Two tips:

- SW 22_88K has two versions, the other one is 2A+K, which is safer (-15) and does more damage. The only problem is that it normally switches us to Coiled State with no good followup. The trick is to use SW 2A+K during stance cooldown, so that you can follow up with SW 214K.

- SW BB - 2nd B tracks sometimes magically and it takes only 10 blocked BBs to CF. Pretty good for a safe i15 mid...

I love SW BB personally also. Her most decent BB.

Oh, and I found more love for SW 66K. This is Ivy's bullrush IMO lol. XD And this TC's to boot, so it avoids all of taki's fast A options.

66K on block is safe. 66K on hit gives enough frame advantage that it'll trade only with an i13. Any slower and it'll become a CH, which leads to 40~50 dmg with her SW CH 66K ~ 2A+B combo.

If your opponent blocks after a 66K on hit... iCS/CS. =]

If I recall correctly, SW 66K is punishable on block by some characters, because it's something like -11 or -10. So it's not completely safe but this move is really good though. The only weakness I can think of (apart from moderate recovery on block) is probably its small range. Also, it's very difficult to step this move. So it works good as anti-step tool :)

First of all, thanks for all the great information in this thread. It's really helped my budding Ivy and convinced me to focus on SW.
After scanning through the moveset half a dozen times my attention has locked onto 7_8_9:B:- it's a special-mid, but it's quick, with decent damage and range to boot. It also seems to KD under certain conditions. Does this move have any merit outside of the situational usage of most jumping attacks?

First of all, thanks for all the great information in this thread. It's really helped my budding Ivy and convinced me to focus on SW.
After scanning through the moveset half a dozen times my attention has locked onto 7_8_9:B:- it's a special-mid, but it's quick, with decent damage and range to boot. It also seems to KD under certain conditions. Does this move have any merit outside of the situational usage of most jumping attacks?

This move is a great move for the following reasons.

1. On ch, sw 214k is guaranteed.

2. This move can be used in all 3 of her main stances. Holding g while jumping and pressing b allows you to use it in cl and wp.

3. It therefore is a great follow up to a lot of moves because its quick. Cl 66a and 33_99bb come to mind.

This move is a great move for the following reasons.

1. On ch, sw 214k is guaranteed.

2. This move can be used in all 3 of her main stances. Holding g while jumping and pressing b allows you to use it in cl and wp.

3. It therefore is a great follow up to a lot of moves because its quick. Cl 66a and 33_99bb come to mind.

SW FC 3B -> iCS?

So basically we all know there is no strict buffer window on SW FC 3B. The issue I've been having is that when I start buffering early into the recovery of SW FC 3B, I always get regular CS. If I pause a bit, I get iCS. I'm doing the command the exact same way. I don't understand why this is happening.

SW FC 3B -> iCS?

So basically we all know there is no strict buffer window on SW FC 3B. The issue I've been having is that when I start buffering early into the recovery of SW FC 3B, I always get regular CS. If I pause a bit, I get iCS. I'm doing the command the exact same way. I don't understand why this is happening.
I can't really understand what you are trying to say here my friend...
If it's not trouble for you, could you repost this a bit more...umm...different? ;p

just a worthwhile thread sniped off of CF.com, thought the people here would like to see it too.

big THX to you BLDave. your guide really helped me to get a feel for ivys swordstance! i now understand which moves are good in different situations and now i also can switch to swordstance, because i know what i can do with it ^^ now i need to master it *FG*

Back