[Sydney, Australia] Version 4.0

Is it me or have people gotten a bit frosty? It's a bit early to be sandbagging... LOL. Anything going on this weekend?

i may not even use vader against you to start with, but if he is allowed i will be using him on the day. you may not even vs me and from the people i knwo that are going no one but me will use a SW character. just because some characters are allowed that you are not overly used to doesnt mean that you shouldnt attend. I for one have never played a decent yoshi player offline also there are a bunch of characters that my offline experience is not the greatest with, but im going to play anyways. play for fun mate.

you are right to assume none of those are the case :P

im also under the impression he is allowed, my argument was more that i was told by the organisers that i could use him, then i got shitty cause that may not have been the case. i like sc4 more than sf, and i stick by the fact that its lame to ban characters, including sf ones.

this aint the US. if we followed their example then we couldnt use algol either, now that ban was pure lameness by sore losers who couldnt be bothered taking the time to work out all of algols flaws, and there are quite a few.

anyways just play for fun whether they can be used or not.

I'm not a fan of Algol because I think he's boring to fight, so I'm not opposed to the US ban on him.

If I was in Sydney or it was easy for me to get to Sydney, I'd have no problem coming for fun. But since that's not the case, I'm coming to win or at least lose to a more skilled opponent. I'm not up for taking the trouble to head up to Sydney only to lose to a character I have minimal experience against who's banned in any other tournament I may attend.

But as I said before, it's your tournament and your rules. You can do as you like. It just means I won't be attending.

DrDogg - http://www.couchwarriors.org/real

You might wanna go here too. It's in Melbourne this sunday.

That is all.

Yeah, I've been looking into that. However, I haven't been impressed with what little I've seen of the Aussie fighting game community (skill-wise). I know it's primarily due to a lack of competition here compared to other areas of the world in certain fighting games (I know you guys are solid in games I don't play), but it still doesn't motivate me to play. ;) If I go to CW I plan to win it despite the fact that I haven't touched the game in two weeks and won't be playing on my own stick.

We'll see though. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. If the comp here is good and I can practice more before the Sydney tournament, or possibly get some of the guys here to go to the Sydney tournament, then I'll go no matter what the rules are.

Dr D,
I'm sure if you looked into it, you could get a Virgin Flight up here for about AU$200 Return. It's an hour flight.
Or you can catch a coach (12 hour drive though) which will prolly be about $50 cheaper.

But either way.

LG,
I have nfi what's happening this weekend. Sunday I'm busy from 2pm and I got a meeting on Friday. So unless it's on Saturday, I can't make it.

Ljkabookie: Star Wars characters are definitely ok, I passed the message on to Ziggy a couple of days ago, and he said he'd update the website by this Sunday at the latest. He's a busy guy!

Dr Dogg: I use Yoshi and don't have too many problems with a:B+K. What I do is use my left index finger on A, and my middle and ring fingers from my right hand on B & K. It's actually pretty easy to hit A with your left hand, without even really taking your hand off the stick.

But yeah I really hope that people love Soul Calibur more than macros! And I hope they love Soul Calibur more than they love banning characters from tournaments!
rofl.gif
Those rules are locked in at this stage.

I don't want to drag this out, but will just address this one point.

3. Judging from the conversation in this thread, I was under the impression Vader and Yoda were allowed. However, your argument is flawed since characters are banned in SF as well (ST Akuma).

The reason ST Akuma is banned is because there is absolutely no counter for air hadoukens in Super Turbo. If Akuma was allowed in tournaments, nobody would use any other character. It is really important that you understand this logic, if you're going to use it in an argument.

The main reason Yoda/Vader are banned in the US is because the characters aren't available on both consoles unless you pay money and there's no guarantee everyone is willing to pay money for a character they probably won't even use (I'm a good example of that). If Namco had put both characters in both versions of the game from the beginning there would be no issue, just like Apprentice isn't banned.

If you can afford to buy lunch, you can afford one unlockable character.

To play SC4, you need a TV, console, game disc, controller, and a chair to sit on. I think you can afford lunch.

Yeah I'd definitely like a lot more practise sometime soon. My online isnt working and I have noone to play against offline apart from you guys so progression is sloooow. Versus mode against cpu on edgemaster is about all i can do. ^_^; Learning to play without throws much? Haha.

This thread had me seriously considering taking up Yoda just to mess with people. His forward tumble thing is so cute. And his Force GI-throw is really cool! But I dunno, it looks like a lot of work. Maybe after I lose OHN.

I really hope you can make it, DrDogg! I'd really like to see how people from other countries play! Forgive us for our seemingly backwards ways and nasal accents! XD

Heh. Don't forget the power that is Yoda 6B followed by 10 seconds of running to reach them afterwards. So yeah... is there anything going on this weekend?

I don't want to drag this out, but will just address this one point.

The reason ST Akuma is banned is because there is absolutely no counter for air hadoukens in Super Turbo. If Akuma was allowed in tournaments, nobody would use any other character. It is really important that you understand this logic, if you're going to use it in an argument.

If you can afford to buy lunch, you can afford one unlockable character.

To play SC4, you need a TV, console, game disc, controller, and a chair to sit on. I think you can afford lunch.

I mentioned ST Akuma because a comment was made about characters not being banned in SF. It had nothing to do with why a character is or isn't banned.

Also, I never said I couldn't afford to buy Yoda/Vader. I said I wasn't "willing" to. And aside from this tournament, it's unlikely I'll face him in a tournament environment unless the rules for US Nats are changed.

Any idea how many people are expected to show for this?

bludeblu... I play based on frames and whiff punishment which isn't like the typical American. I play very safe and take very few risks for the most part.

Well there's about 10 from our group going, I have 4 friends who don't play seriously, but play other FG's coming, and I heard last time there was about 20 people or so.

who's hosting this w/e? im happy to host if no one else does for saturday (to get to mine you would have to train to rockdale and catch a bus from the station, its about a 3 min walk after you get off the bus to get to mine but ill pm instructions if i end up hosting). but if i do someone will need to bring another ps3 unless your all happy to wait for games hehe.

i need practice lol i havent played for a week and a half, been addicted to playing co-op games... and reading rosario+vampire manga (and i dont usually read manga) but it kicks the shit out of the anime, which is only good for the occasional laugh.. im up to date on the manga now and found out it comes out monthly ... nooooooooooooooo!!! cliffhanger FTL.

If I had a way to lug it around I'd bring my PS3.
And you think monthly Rosario+Vampire is bad - Read Claymore. you'll want to go punch the author in the face to make him work faster.

As for saturday - I only know LG and Bailey's contact details. I can't get in touch with anyone else - ie Charlie etc.

im waiting for the second season of claymore to air, as i know that they deviated from the manga and the anime was just so awsome, i dont want the awsomeness of the manga to ruin the anime for me.

if you have fansubs ill trade you for mine, probably not during a sc4 day tho cause it will take a long time to get through all my anime lol as im sure if you have a lot then yours to hehe. i cant watch raws cause i only understand about half of what they say, depending on the anime sometimes i can only understand a quarter. and dubs are just shockingly bad...

if no one posts by around 9pm that they will host, then I will and just post up if you want to come and ill pm you directions on how to get to mine if your interested.

put me in for +1 if someone else hosts as my cousin would like to try his kilik out hehe, and i think that his ivy would improve watching davo's ivy game.

So can we get a show of hands? Who is heading over to Ljkabookie's tomorrow? At the moment, pencil me in as a maybe, because I'm heading out tonight for a birthday party so I may or may not be able to drag myself up tomorrow morning. LOL.

Back