Talim Video Archive

Thanks, I have a really hard time readjusting to offline though.. =(

I screwed up alot such as 6B coming out instead of 66B after WL K, releasing the A too early in BT B, 3B*A, not getting the WC B:B JF, not canceling the WL A+B unblockable on time (alot of those were meant to be canceled), and a bunch of other instances with input problems... I even brought Ivy back into the ring, cuz I rung her out, and wanted to tack on 33A for the chance of an armor break, but I buffered it wrong and pressed 3A instead, and brought her back.. lol

So yeah online is really bad for you if u plan on competing offline. =P That's why I won't play online for at least two weeks before a big tourney.

Good goin!

Ya after playin offline a lot I went back online.
Was frustrated and disappointed (even w/5 bars); offline's where it's at man.

Awesome work! I like your unblockable cancels, and that multipart near the end of the the tourney was well setup.

I need about 30 minutes in training mode after playing online before I play offline to get the JF timing back. You have to execute stuff a lot later than online, but I'm starting to adjust faster.

Once again, nice video and congrats on the win.

Pretty make agree with shauno. Liking the unblockable cancels, might need to incorporate that into my own game.

I screwed up alot such as 6B coming out instead of 66B after WL K, releasing the A too early in BT B, 3B*A, not getting the WC B:B JF, not canceling the WL A+B unblockable on time (alot of those were meant to be canceled), and a bunch of other instances with input problems... I even brought Ivy back into the ring, cuz I rung her out, and wanted to tack on 33A for the chance of an armor break, but I buffered it wrong and pressed 3A instead, and brought her back.. lol

So yeah online is really bad for you if u plan on competing offline. =P That's why I won't play online for at least two weeks before a big tourney.

I see that online play really does change your gameplay, because i notice the inconsistencies sometimes.

Overall, great match. I do believe that Senior's main problem against you was obviously FC3BB, which set up alot of your combos. Waiting for your next tourney videos! Keep up the great work. :)

SUP no parries offline. Are parries hard for you or something? 5 rounds, 20+ games, 3 total moves done by IVY...seriously you thought these were good games shauno?

Good point about FC 3BB off the ground... I tend to wake up with WS B in a pinch (or FC 2A) for speed, but I'm going to try and toss in FC 3BB for the potential damage.

Another thing on going from online to offline, I tend to screw up my AS and WL input timing since I almost always adjust my distance in the air. So after, say, a 2A+B, I'll input ~4~6 so I can do a short-distance WL into whatever I want to do aftwerwards, but offline it may come out as simply ~6 (Air Sault) because I do it too fast from playing online. So it takes me 30 minutes or so to get that timing back.

See thats what I'm talking about OOF... You talk about winning this tournament with Talim... But watching that video, you can clearly see that SOW just had no idea what to do. He was blocking nothing! Hell, even I was going very far in tournaments the same way, Talim has that surprise factor and if you dont know how to deal with that cheese, then thats it. Once your opponents start learning how to block Talim and defend against her, she loses pretty much 100% of her fighting ability.

Yes, you said "Correction: once people start learning how to block YOUR Talim"... But I see nothing with your Talim that makes her any different from anyone else's Talim (except your online to offline input scrubbery). I mean seriously, SOW looked like a total scrub in that battle. He's RUSHING DOWN against a Talim player? WTF? Just play long range poke games against Talim and she doesn't stance a chance.

nice match i totally didnt think of the AS B+K, A+B combo most of the time i either go low with AS A but that is very good. alos i did notice which is something that i didnt really pay too much attention to using in my talim game is the WL A+B unblockable cancel moves that is so awesome because it keeps your opponent guessing as to what's coming up next. congrats on winning the tourney!!!!!!!!! Its nice to see a talim player win, when i play with my friends, the only character i pick is talim and they tell me to pick someone else because i always kick their ass, so i told them i wanna master her and the only way of doing that is to play with her more and more. again congrats!!!

SUP no parries offline. Are parries hard for you or something? 5 rounds, 20+ games, 3 total moves done by IVY...seriously you thought these were good games shauno?

It's a fair question, and some of the stuff Jaxel brought up is fair as well. For the record, I've seen and played against better Ivys (Ivies?), but I wasn't commenting on Ivy. Yes, I agree that the player doesn't attack Talim properly (and I don't even play Ivy), but what is Oof supposed to do? If my opponent can't defend certain setups that I know have holes, then I'm being smart by abusing them.

The main point of my post actually was that Oof's Talim did some things that I don't currently do. I pick up on little things sometimes that add to her overall game, and now realize that if I currently get away with WS B when coming off the ground, I may have time (at times) for more damage with the slightly slower FC 3BB, especially if it isn't being punished properly on block. Not that WS B was the only thing I do, but this is another useful tool. He also has me thinking of some application of her WL unblockable in open ground, which I honestly never use at all.

Lastly, I don't see the value of unconstructively ripping up someone who is brave enough to post up their character in action unless they are acting stupid over it. That makes players not want to post up videos (or strats) at all, so the whole community loses out. So when at all possible, I'd rather support a fellow Talim user who is making an honest effort to win with her despite the shortcomings we all know she has.

I'm not sure I see the value of mopping the floor with an Ivy that does 3 moves, but I'm glad you're learning new transitions because that's one of the most important aspects of fine-tuning your Talim play. If this video helps you by golly you should use it. I prefer to wait for Jaxel to post his Talim videos ;-} not only does he have better opponents he's also the shiznit with Talim.

And...to not parry someone who does 3 moves by the end of the 5th match is not teaching good Soul Calibur!

Edit: Well, Jaxel, it's possible but there'd be no way to tell from this video :-) My gut says your move choices are safer but again it's just because the talim in the video we're referencing is abusing the opponent's lack of defense...as well as offense...

Actually... I think OOF has a better Talim than I do... I'm just trying to make a point...

Talim is the lowest of the low. She can't win against decent opponents.

That Ivy wasn't bad, but I don't see the point of using Ivy if you only use one stance and a very tiny handful of her huge, melon-sized... uh... movelists. WP seems far more ideal to me for dealing with Talim, since you can just dish out sweeping, long-ranged pain every time she starts trying to get near/leaping back/spinning around.

on paper whip sounds better than sword, but it's really the other way around.

In whip, ivy doesnt have alot of low frame attacks that can keep talim out, where as she does in sword. And even more ironic, SW ivy still outranges talim. Now, that's not to say WP is bad by any stretch of the imagination, as long as talim (or any character, really) will allow you to stay in WP and pick them off from long distance, then WP works fine, but alot of Ivy's long range moves in WP are slow enough to GI on reaction if you just sit in WP all day long.

I personally didnt think the ivy in that vid was bad, but oh god did he let alot of stuff go unpunished. BT B going unpunished? Dear god if I had that luxury. :(

I'm not sure I see the value of mopping the floor with an Ivy that does 3 moves, but I'm glad you're learning new transitions because that's one of the most important aspects of fine-tuning your Talim play. If this video helps you by golly you should use it. I prefer to wait for Jaxel to post his Talim videos ;-} not only does he have better opponents he's also the shiznit with Talim.

And...to not parry someone who does 3 moves by the end of the 5th match is not teaching good Soul Calibur!

Edit: Well, Jaxel, it's possible but there'd be no way to tell from this video :-) My gut says your move choices are safer but again it's just because the talim in the video we're referencing is abusing the opponent's lack of defense...as well as offense...

You may have missed it, but Jaxel posted two of his fights on the first page.

It is easy to rip into a player if you only have one video to judge by. If you have seen OOF in action back in SC3 you would know that he was and probably still is the best Talim player there is (i'll say on these forums to avoid extra arguments). Granted, this is just my opinion, but i've moderated the talim forums and OOF has been the one that has put in the most effort into playing Talim to her full potential.

So with this video, he may not have parried or did anything particularly insane, but he got the job done. Why change your gameplay when FC33B is effective 80% of the time.

In reference to what Jaxel is saying, it is true that Senior obviously didn't know much about Talim and when you are facing someone with an adequate knowledge of Talim then it is a much greater challenge.

I'm not gonna say much more, but i encourage more people to post up more videos. We're not here to see who's the best or to say you're crap but to learn from eachother's individual strategies and hopefully improve on our own Talim.

Here are my latest vids from the last tournament. I'll have some more vids of Talim vs Nightmare casuals up soon too.

I wish I had tournaments from my OCV this weekend... I was on TOP!

I wasn't playing well during the tournament... I dunno...

Wow, I've had plenty of ring outs like that one at 2:34 in the second video. They suck so much I can't help but to laugh.

I'd also like to ask, what's up with all the WL's in the second video? You left yourself wide open for a lot of those attacks.

Yeah, NeoRussell's Yoshi is pretty damn good, and he has alot more tourney experience than me, so I was losing focus and doing things like WL and AA6BA without adapting properly. I just gotta work more on dealing with tourney pressure.

Back