Talim Video Archive

OOF, that was some ouch against Yoshi. The biggest problem I've had with Talim, and this isn't you in particular, is the ability to initiate with a low is slow, predictable and doesn't do enough damage. Yoshi's air style is quite a bit stronger than Talim's and the character tier difference is blatantly obvious the last match when you get a string of 4 mixups (I believe) to initiate a match and Yoshi gets a stun and his 2 hit to finish the combo and you both have equivalent life. You beat him 4 times in terms of move choices, while he beat you only twice, but the life differential would make you believe that you were playing equally well. To compensate I personally have failed(watching too much clone wars but leaving this phrasing I am), but Talim is merely my 4th character after Siegfried, Mitsurugi and Raphael. One thing I tried was writing a chart of EVERY low move that Talim has and playing with the visual reminder of my moveset for lows. It didn't help...K-A is bad and not an actual combo, leaping can be countered easily with any midair attack and trying to mixup will finish with legitimate damage but forces you to massively outplay your opponent. I mean...massively...like you have to beat your opponent with move choices 20-30 times per battle. Comparing this to a Siegfried battle where 5-6 decent choices deal 100% damage and you can see the tier difference clearly. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer in terms of constructive criticism but that's because Talim isn't a character that has a lot of flexibility at a high level. A lot of her moves fall into the same category of counter, making it rather simple to counter the majority of the initiates if not all of them.

I will say that there's a distinct lack of sidestep and counter-hit in your current game and it would be great to add some of that in. You have a great straight-on feel but in tournament play it's pretty guaranteed that a pause of over probably 250ms will cost you the guaranteed ability to initiate even when you are playing a female charcter against a male one. By sidestepping during a period of relaxation mentally you can continue to "play the game" while giving yourself a little mental break and ensuring a limited set of moves will be used to hit you during this period. I would liken this to crouching in terms of the reduced moveset that will be used against you and the easier ability to defend. The reason this is so important to my talim play is I need this ability to step back and think extremely often because Talim is not even a top 3 character for me. With a reduced offensive ability I rely heavily on my defense (I am also regarded as the best defensive player in my playgroup) and with a narrowed moveset it becomes far easier to defend. I'm not saying this is something you should pick up immediately and use in tournaments, but if you give sufficient time for the knowledge and attitude to sink in it could allow you to take your more relaxed and logical attitude that you take into casual games and apply it more frequently to a tournament and more competitive atmosphere.

Warble, the problem is that Talim has a shitty sidestep, and her moves give weird counter-hit properties... IE, many times they just DONT. I've hit people counterhit all the time with 1A+B, and I rarely ever get counterhit properties from it.

My biggest problem I have with Talim is that in order to get in, she must attack... and of course, her attacks have slow frames to impact, so opponents can always just BB or 3A or whatever and they pretty much interrupt everything Talim has. The way Talim wins is to force the opponent to pause and wait; when it comes down to it, all a good player needs to do to win is to stop pausing and just always attack; more often then not, Talim is at disadvantage. And since she has to attack to get in, that pretty much means that against long range chars like Astaroth, Kilik, Seong Mina... hell, to Talim, everyone has long rong... well against long range chars, everytime Talim GETS HIT it will be a free counterhit to the opponent.

I am the same way. But I feel like she's more difficult to master this time around then in the other games. do you feel that way?

yea she is a little harder to master this time around, you gotta get used to her fighting style, cuz it changed a little. i really miss how she used to do WC A+B in soul calibur 3, and i used to use 3B,6B.
but hey she is my character and ill keep on fighting with her. i wanna get as good as i can with her. i play this game at school on the 360, but my PS3 copy is coming in the next few weeks.
GO TALIM!!!!

I'm not sure but, don't you think you were playing a little bit to "safe"? I think you could've been more aggressive during that match. I understand they were casual matches and all but it actually seems like you're playing pretty defensively throughout all of your vids even the ones from the tournament.

Playing defensive is how you win... playing defense with Talim is very hard to do, its easier to go offensive. Which is one of her major weak points.

Jaxel's right ruinandchaos85 epecially with this talim. EX: when say cervantes does that move where he teleports up and comes smacking down to hit you, your instinct might tell you right after you receive the defensive impact of his attack you should attack, but that is wrong. with cervantes ive learned that right after his attacks that have an electric side effect after it you wait for his first attack and after that you will be able to punish him really good.
playing defensive some times is good but you cant play defensive forever or youll probably hand you opponent an easy CF.

In your example, it would've been better to sidestep it altogether, but I get what you're trying to say.

I take back what I said about the casual vids, I was thinking about the tourny vids when I wrote that. He was playing too defensively in those, but like he said earlier the pressure was getting to him, so it makes sense.

Also, to talimmaster, what's with the italics?

Good stuff once again Oofmatic. That FC 3B baiting tactic was pretty effective. Once that NM player caught on to punishing AA6BA's final high attack, he seemed to better maintain the in-close game on you a bit more. Highlight of the vids... baiting with the double AS flip from distance for damage. I need to work on that JF command more.

I'm going to upload some of my videos with my Talim. It not that great, but it get the job done I guess. Tyhe combos I miss were either ac or me just fucking up.

Hmm, a few issues with the video....

- There is never a reason to use 236B alone as a tech catch starter since the free damage is always a better option

- Some of those combos aren't guaranteed, like the AS KKKK juggle. Only one AS K hit has been free since SC2.

- Since you had text in the video, maybe you should've given credit to Oof for the tech 2X AS jump.

- The BT B+K, A+B in your video doesn't give a free throw attempt on block actually. You must've read it here on the forums but misunderstood how to do it. The command is BT B+K~A+B, which ends in a guard break before the free throw can be attempted. Your vid demo simply ends with the first command of the BT A+B 236A 236B string - a completely different move.

Hmm, a few issues with the video....

- There is never a reason to use 236B alone as a tech catch starter since the free damage is always a better option

- Some of those combos aren't guaranteed, like the AS KKKK juggle. Only one AS K hit has been free since SC2.

- Since you had text in the video, maybe you should've given credit to Oof for the tech 2X AS jump.

- The BT B+K, A+B in your video doesn't give a free throw attempt on block actually. You must've read it here on the forums but misunderstood how to do it. The command is BT B+K~A+B, which ends in a guard break before the free throw can be attempted. Your vid demo simply ends with the first command of the BT A+B 236A 236B string - a completely different move.

Some of thsoe were just the for the lulz. And thanks I misunderstood that BT B+K, A+B stuff man. But soe mwere just for some lolz, not a big deal. I knew they're were not guaranteed in the first anyway.

edit: Too asnwer your other complains about my video.

-Since you had text in the video, maybe you should've given credit to Oof for the tech 2X AS jump.

CY: Who cares really? It a neat trick, it doesn't matter who foud nit first. Sorry, if I sound like an asshole, but that just me.

-There is never a reason to use 236B alone as a tech catch starter since the free damage is always a better option

CY: I agree with this one right here. Can you explain some better options to me?

Also, I did B+K, but forgot to hold A+B. :)

The way your text reads in the vid for the 2x AS jump makes it sound like you came up with it IMHO, which is why I mentioned it. As for 236B follow ups, you put in the best options later on.

The way your text reads in the vid for the 2x AS jump makes it sound like you came up with it IMHO, which is why I mentioned it. As for 236B follow ups, you put in the best options later on.

Oh, I didn't wanto to take all of the credit for that 2X AS man. I jsut stated that something neat you can do with Talim. And I understand what you mean by me adding in the options of 236B. Also on a sidenote what did you think about my combo video overall man? Thank you for your opinions on my video BTW.

Yo, guys. Here's a few vids of me using Talim from a casual session with Sporko and InsaneKhent a few weeks back.

Any comments, advice, constructive criticism, and whatnot is welcome. The Talim Soul Arena needs some more life!

Back