Talim vs. the rest of the SC4 cast

Well I'm used to fighting at range from fighting against a really good Seong Mi-Na player in InsaneKhent. I realize she's easier to deal with than say Kilik or Ivy, but still tactics are tactics. Mine usually go as follows:

1. "zig zag step". Probably not an official term, but it describes my way of moving forward a few steps, then stepping right/left and guarding, then running in full speed a few more steps (if they didn't react yet) and guard and repeat. This way, (even if you get hit) you'll be a lot closer than you started and can use that to your advantage.

2. GI. Successfully repel impacting, (JIs in particular) will automatically move you within range of at least her 4BB. Not that you should use 4BB as a follow up necessarily, but just note the range difference. Even GI-ing Mina at tip-range (where she's most deadly) will bring you to this semi mid-range distance in one shot.

3. 22_88K! This move, to me, is invaluable for closing distance. It moves forward, tech steps most verticals, (provided the timing is right), and TJs low horizontals at the same time. It also TCs in it's initial frames to avoid quick highs (It's also a decent move once you're in close due to it's speed and safety, but that's a whole different discussion)

Also note that, while risky, Talim's farthest ranged sequence of moves is 11_77B~6 AS A+B (or if you can nail it at will, the AS K whiff JF). I prefer to use AS K as a followup instead. Since her other AS options are, if blocked, a major safety hazard, I think that would be the safest bet.

BUT, if you do manage to bait them with 11_77B you can do anything you want. WL A/K if their attack is short ranged, WC if their attack is linear, or even AS A+K if you manage to leap over their head.

11B is invaluable to getting in IMO.

A well placed 11B can get you initiative. On block 11B 6 A+B and 11B 6 A+K will both make the opponent hesitate to retaliate immediately. At which point you can go directly into WC mixups. It's somewhat unsafe but it immediately puts you in a position to pressure if successful. Not to mention a lot of characters have trouble punishing 11B 6 A+K on block anyway.

This is also true. I was mainly considering it as a whiff baiting tactic, but if the move is blocked you're exactly right.

I've started using that glitch with 11_77B lately, and it's amazing how many players fall for whatever attack you have planned next.

Hmm, sorry, maybe 'glitch' is not quite right.

I was talking about her Fake Leap. There was a whole discussion about this somewhere, but I couldn't find the exact posts... Instead I got the video on YouTube. Credits go to to Dogysamich for finding it, I think.

When at all possible, dont stand next to them. That's where their strongest mixups are. And because they have good lows, you actually have to check low.

Especially against Set. I got to play SC4 against people again last saturday (heck, I actually played SC4, period), and I got introduced to that fact.

ONE, TWO, THREE! END OF THE LINE!! ONE, TWO, THREE! END OF THE LINE!
-duck-
..... END OF THE LINE.

*throws controller*

IMO
Good Matchups: Amy, Schezerade, Taki, Maxi, Lizardman, Xianghua, Setsuka
Bad Matchups: Voldo, Zasalamel, Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Hilde, Siegfried, Nightmare

Not really comprehensive in any way, but when using her, I found her to have the most interuptable moveset... which is sad, since she would be my quaternary character.

You say Taki and Setsuka are good matchups for Talim? Not discrediting your opinion at all, but I'm interested in why you think so.

IMO
Good Matchups: Amy, Schezerade, Taki, Maxi, Lizardman, Xianghua, Setsuka
Bad Matchups: Voldo, Zasalamel, Astaroth, Yoshimitsu, Ivy, Hilde, Siegfried, Nightmare

Not really comprehensive in any way, but when using her, I found her to have the most interuptable moveset... which is sad, since she would be my quaternary character.

Good matchups:Amy, Maxi, Lizzy, X, Vader, Yoda,Mina, and Mitsu
Even: SK,Hilde, yoshi, Yun, Crevy,Zassy, Sisters
bad: Algol, Ivy, Sieg, Nightmare, Ash the pokemone trainer(lol astsaroth), Vodlo, and raph

These are the ones I feel comfortable with. I disagree on a few parts, but pretty soild overall. the evens are characters I go at it without many problems. Also, Mitsu in the good match ups section because, I like fighting him, and it doesn't seem so bad like others ones.

Well, I know Talim's shenanigans can really mess up an unprepared Setsuka's FC game. Most of the characters, except for Asty and Ivy because they're tall, and Kilik, because Asura kills all of Talim's options and he outranges her, can lose alot of setups when facing a evasive Talim.

The problem is when they start playing safe and poking all the time. Talim's going to have problems with any character, besides Rock, Mina, Zas, and Yoda, when they do that.

For example, I was playing a good Yun player who threw all his setups to the wind when I kept avoiding them and did nothing but block and counter. I couldn't do much, since he kept dodging my throws.

The problem is when they start playing safe and poking all the time. Talim's going to have problems with any character, besides Rock, Mina, Zas, and Yoda, when they do that.

For example, I was playing a good Yun player who threw all his setups to the wind when I kept avoiding them and did nothing but block and counter. I couldn't do much, since he kept dodging my throws.

Actually, Mina can be a real problem for Talim as well in the same sense. Just because she can just keep poking you at range.

Whenever I've played against Setsukas (as rare as that is) they just seem to interrupt a lot of Talim's attacks. Whether it's her 4A, WS B, or Umbrella, something always seems to stop Talim's options cold. Her linear JFs are easily avoided with WC on reaction, but Setsuka just has the range/speed/damage advantange over her.

But yeah, good turtling style can be a pain to deal with. A lot of characters have problems handling this if done properly. Some of them have exceptional CF games though, so it doesn't really effect them. Talim has a decent CF game herself, but not quite as good as say Voldo, Mina, or Setsuka.

Talim is an underrated character.
I think a lot the misconceptions regarding talim's strength, lies in the the PLAYER'S inablity to adapt her playing style against certain characters/players rather than her overall character being of low quality.

I myself being oblivious of this too.

I usually do fine with her against everyone but sometimes a great Maxi comes along and I'm pretty much fucked.

Talim is an underrated character.
I think a lot the misconceptions regarding talim's strength, lies in the the PLAYER'S inablity to adapt her playing style against certain characters/players rather than her overall character being of low quality.

I myself being oblivious of this too.

In my opinion, the only major problem Talim presents even for those who can adapt properly is simply her overall damage output. I can't count the number of times where I've outplayed my opponents and lost because of lack of damage. She has to work a lot harder to get the amount of damage from her best moves/combos that many characters can reach in 3 or 4 hits.

I can say that while making my counter attack list I've noticed things that help Talim's chances increase against matchups I used to think were horribly one-sided. (i.e. Taki). But the fact that Talim doesn't really seem have any matchups in her favor is probably a big factor in why she's considered so low.

Back