Technical Jargon: Just Guard, A Smurf's Tale

JG Basics – Smurf Stylie!

I see a lot of people kinda lost to the applications of JG. So I wanted to write about how to do JG itself, the 4 basic applications I see people using and the technical nonsense that ensues as a result. Oh, and break it down so the people who don't get the technical stuff will understand WTF I'm talking about :)

Doing the JG itself. - The JG is done by tapping G quickly. This will create a window after you release where your character will JG any attack it would have guarded.

Frame by frame breakdown – According to thread X Shout outs to noodalls for testing all of this accurately!
The JG input begins and ends on an 8 frame cycle. Consider the input frame 0 and the end of the window 7.
If you release from frames 1-4 you will JG until frame 7.
If you successfully release there is then a window until frame 30 where you cannot JG if you do not successfully JG an attack. If you successfully JG there is no cooldown applied.
If you hold G before frame 7 that frame ends the JG window and you will guard as normal from that frame on. Cooldown applies.

Laymen terms – The faster you release guard, the bigger the window of JG.
If you release G slowly you may not JG at all.
If you try to JG you must wait half a second before trying it again. So, if you try to JG twice in a row the 2nd time you can get hit.

What does JG do?
Shortened recovery time often resulting in free damage
No pushback, so you're at a better range to take free damage
Meter gain (I want to say you get like 1/4 a BE from a JG... I will test later to fact check)

Looking for opponent JG's - If you want to think about it in terms of animation then it's the beginning of the animation of your character releasing their guard. So when you see someone releasing guard in specific situations you are seeing them fish for JG.

1 - JG on Reaction – This is as simple as I see it and I react to it with a JG.

Examples: Astaroth 22B in most situations except some force blocks from grounded you can JG this on reaction. It takes away a huge amount of guard damage from his arsenal and will give you free punish damage.

Higher level applications: This goes as far as your reaction time can carry it, just be careful when you push it. Lots of people trying that are getting too comfy not holding the guard button and get caught looking. Don't strike out trying for something that has free poke as your reward.

2 - JG on String Attacks – This is when you JG string followups.

Examples: Pyrrha 66B BE – This is the prime example of a move that you must deal with using a JG with many characters. It's advantage on block, does tremendous guard damage and the first hit tracks very well... It also leads to a damaging combo on all hits.

All you need to do is see her flash golden with the 66B and the followup will always come out. So react to that and time the JG for the followup timing.

Higher Level Applications: You can apply this to almost any multi hit BE. If you really want a challenge you can start using it for things like B,B and push the limits towards doing faster and faster stings.

Danger Zones: Delayable strings may have different timings, if you JG aimed at a later timing the early timing can make you explode. This can also work both ways

3 - JG Option Select – This is where you time your JG into a frame where your opponent will attack you if able. The basic concept is to time the JG to hit the fastest attacks. This means you release guard in a timeframe where the opponent literally has no attacks fast enough to interrupt

Example: Ivy does her 2A+B and afterwards the opponent has an advantage. As Ivy when choosing to defend you can time JG to their fastest buttons and guard the slower ones. The reason this is such a great setup is 2A+B forces the opponent into crouch. Many characters have faster attacks from the crouching state which are unsafe to JG and the ones that are safe give you enough advantage to press a strong mixup.

Higher Level Applications: You can apply this almost anywhere you would otherwise choose to guard. Get creative, but be mindful of the cooldown if you do this. You can't JG something on reaction after you try to OS a JG.

Danger Zones: The most prominent one in this is just to faster attacks. If the opponent starts using slower attacks and you slow your OS to target them, you will be releasing guard during the point where his fast pokes can hit you in many cases. Depending on the matchup, you might not really care... But you must be aware of it.

4 - JGing Delayable Attacks – This is a lot like JG on reaction, but it's got different danger zones. They are attributed to the 2 types of delayable attacks in SCV. Some delays allow you to release whenever you like and some delay to a point even if you release before that point.

Examples: Astaroth 44[A] is a perfect example. There is a window for the first portion of the hold where whenever you release A your attack comes out. After that when the guardbreak starts charging, you will always have the same impact point. So you want to react to the point of no return and then commit to it after holding guard for the shorter portion of the move.

Higher Level Applications: Astaroth has another really prime example of how to apply JG to a situation with his 3K,[A] delay string. Now this is a string high with a delay that can always be released and hits mid at it's highest level of charge. You can still OS this by crouching, then releasing guard for a JG and rising during the JG. This will even work if you rise into the high portion if you do it properly, just be careful not to time it too early.

Danger Zones: With any delay there will be a vulnerable window before you can JG, so be careful when you release guard. Make sure the opponent has committed to the point of no return so you don't accidentally get hit by the window before then. If you want to guess at it with some of the ones with infinite release times, make sure the partial charge isn't going to murder your life off.

I hope this helped you guys. See you next time.

Good read. I like how Astaroth was used as an example throughout most of the article.

Honestly, I prefer to GI over JG. The chars I play have poor BE options, so meter is spent mostly on CEs/GIs. A lot of people will automatically try to re-GI and this allows me to bait the attempt out and score a huge chunk of damage or land a throw.

Ive actually had real trouble just grasping the concept of JG. If tried in training mode and just couldnt get my head around it. So I just gave up all together and like Echo01 have just stuck to GI's. Thank god maxi has a i16 BE I can use.

Thanx Bib. Turns out I was trying to JG on impact and not slightly before.

Good stuff, I use JG in all the applications listed above but I did not know the specific lengths of the JG window and its cooldown.

It's very interesting to hear that shorter taps grant you longer windows. I assumed the window would begin after releasing G and would have the same length no matter what. Guess I should change my tapping technique.

To clarify, the cooldown is 30 frames after the first frame of hitting G? Not 30 frames after the JG active window ends?

Another useful application for JG is pushing through zoning. If you play a short range character and block a poke from a long range character, the long range character may push you right back out again or at least force you block again after you waste a lot of time running in.

However, you can shift the risk/reward in your favor by dashing in and tapping G at the timing of an immediate poke, and then dash forward after the JG ends for when they don't attack so you can up close. Guard if your JG fails and you see a delayed attack.

For example, Astaroth attacks with a 4A at tip range and you block (+0). From here, you likely can't reach him with anything to beat his backstep, especially not anything that will beat some of his followup attacks too. Choosing to attack right away to beat bullrush or another 4A or 22B can land a CH, but he could just backstep and whiff punish. Also you could guess wrong on the vertical/horizontal mixup. Moving forward can put you in range to use moves to beat these options, but moving forward wastes time. So you could run in and guard but you could get pushed out again!

So a good option here is to run in and JG. Whatever Asta throws out here is likely launch punishable on JG, and stuff that's fast enough to stop backstep-catching moves will come at a predictable i16-i20 timing. If he does nothing you'll have gained ground.

This of course doesn't beat everything but it's pretty low risk and allows you to hurt Asta real bad for something that's usually safe or requires a dangerous guess to punish hard.

I don't like your definition for option select JG. The seems much more like a just guard frame trap to me.

An option select JG to me would be more like Mitsu JG 3b against Xiba 4b+k where 3b is free after a jg and punishes the stance transition after a wiff jg. There are a ton of these situations in the game.

I don't really see JGing delayable attacks as different than JGing on reaction.

I think you're missing twitch jg where you just guard whenever the opponent does any move even though you're not reacting to a specific move. The window on jg is open long enough that you will catch most high/mid attacks that will be done from neutral with the same input and you're only vulnerable to relatively fast lows and throws.

Will there be a continuation of this which discusses its meter building, frame advantage strategy, and nullified pushback properties?

Those are really what make JGs shine

I don't like your definition for option select JG. The seems much more like a just guard frame trap to me.

An option select JG to me would be more like Mitsu JG 3b against Xiba 4b+k where 3b is free after a jg and punishes the stance transition after a wiff jg. There are a ton of these situations in the game.

I don't really see JGing delayable attacks as different than JGing on reaction.

I think you're missing twitch jg where you just guard whenever the opponent does any move even though you're not reacting to a specific move. The window on jg is open long enough that you will catch most high/mid attacks that will be done from neutral with the same input and you're only vulnerable to relatively fast lows and throws.
You see your definition of option select looks to me like dealing with strings... To each his own. Half asleep so I can't think of a better way to put things.

The difference with JG on reaction from with delayable moves is almost entirely in understanding the point of no return. Some moves don't have that window where they are fully committed and because of that it creates no safe point to release guard. I felt like that was enough where I should distinguish it as it's own thing, mostly because it entails a different set of risks.

Twitch JG is indeed viable, I just don't have the reaction time to do it so I didn't think about it. You should be careful though because human reaction times peak at around 1/5th of a second which is 12 frames... So you can get caught with your finger off the G button if you try that vs some of the faster attacks in the game.

I did not know at the time... I should have added it when I linked the thread and my apologies for not giving shout outs where they are well deserved. Thanks for all the work testing, I wouldn't be nearly as good at JG if I didn't have that thread just because you are the only one who realized the faster the G tap the bigger the window

I would like to suggest some additional info on JG. If You JG certain multihits like Algols BT A+B for example you character auto-JG the rest of the hits on his own. The other thing that i am curious about is, can you JG attacks during wake up? I havent really tested this aspect cause I cant figure out how to properly set up a situation in training where an you get hit at the exact frames of your wake up and if a JG is possible or not.

BrewtusBibulus thank-you.

Slavi, I've looked into JGing on wakeup, to be honest it's a pain in the ass to test. Check my post history though, as what I've tested will be there somewhere. I doubt I'll do any more with it.

Do you guys know how many advantage frames just guard gives?
I noticed that when you hit JG in a very safe move, it´s pretty difficult to punish the opponent. I mean, it´s not something universal (for example, sometimes I can use 3B of Mitsu after a JG, and sometimes only B.B or a faster move).
thks!

Live streams

5 Viewers
VitaminDCosplay
VitaminDCosplay
Making Your Waifus, Taking Your Song Requests

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads