The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

Well @Glitch-mode22, I did take a crack at a few SCV creations yesterday, of which this was my favorite outcome. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to appreciably share the object and surface detail work on this one (which were really quite creative and quality, if I do say so myself), since proper screenshots are not an option on the hardware I was using. In fact, you can't imagine the absurd amount of effort I had to go through just to generate and share this handful of mediocre images that muddy the contrast and flatten out all the detail. Seriously, any human being who ever worked on creating proprietary file systems for hardware for the sole purpose of locking down a user's own content should be f@#&ing ashamed of themselves: if there were any justice or meaning in the universe, the gonads of any and every such person would turn cancerous and kill them before they could reproduce... Well so much for the great SCV experiment: and what a pity too, as even just a small amount of time tinkering around reminded me of just how many great assets SCV had that could have been game changers had they been retained into SCVI.

Anyhow, is she hell-sent, or corrupted by dark power, tainted by a substance or entity, or just the hybrid spawn of an Old One? I don't know, I was just shooting for a general sense of blightedness--somehow alien to the natural order. I'll have to see how well I might replicate her in VI.

Netherious Warrior

IsThereSomethingOnMyFace00.JPG

IsThereSomethingOnMyFace01.JPG
IsThereSomethingOnMyFace02.JPG
IsThereSomethingOnMyFace03.JPG

Last edited:
Whoa! she looks menacing😮 i love the whole design - the sticker work and the batwing item looks really good. i agree with everything you said. even tho i prefer SC6, SCV does have a certain magic about it. the brave edge mech is way better than the soul charge mech - i'm not sure why they changed it. anywho, i can't wait to see what else make on there😁👍

For a little two hour project, I'm rather happy with how this one turned out, especially as regards the helmet, though I'm afraid that a lot of the detail work (there and elsewhere in the design) is getting lost in the contrast with these rather low resolution images--for not the first time, I wish I had done my asset unlocking on my PC copy of this game, gah. I created a number of color variations trying to synergize with the locked in elements of the Enlightened One's torso piece and the surfacing limitations of some of the objects and still create a dynamic look, but with the final design I decided to walk it back to more minimalist color and instead used texturing to give a bit more depth and polish. Odd that I seem to be creating more designs for some of my least used franchise characters, but when inspiration strikes...

Voldo: Cyborked

0-DeusExBachina51.jpg

DeusExBachina46.jpg
DeusExBachina05.jpg
DeusExBachina03.jpg
DeusExBachina04.jpg
DeusExBachina10.jpg
DeusExBachina12.jpg
DeusExBachina01.jpg
DeusExBachina22.jpg
DeusExBachina32.jpg
DeusExBachina34.jpg
DeusExBachina48.jpg
DeusExBachina52.jpg
DeusExBachina50.jpg
DeusExBachina02.jpg
DeusExBachina07.jpg
DeusExBachina09.jpg
DeusExBachina11.jpg
DeusExBachina13.jpg
DeusExBachina08.jpg
DeusExBachina29.jpg
DeusExBachina14.jpg
DeusExBachina16.jpg
DeusExBachina17.jpg
DeusExBachina18.jpg
DeusExBachina23.jpg
DeusExBachina24.jpg
DeusExBachina25.jpg
DeusExBachina33.jpg
DeusExBachina35.jpg
DeusExBachina36.jpg
DeusExBachina39.jpg
DeusExBachina38.jpg
DeusExBachina40.jpg
DeusExBachina53.jpg
DeusExBachina56.jpg
DeusExBachina54.jpg

Last edited:
The idea here was to take Ivy rather diametrically opposite her general aesthetic and clad her in armor. This was my favorite of a number of different approaches, but I don't know... I feel like it still needs something--perhaps further work on the headgear: the simulated veil and metalwork face doesn't really pop as intended, especially in still images, making it look a little comical. And to be perfectly honest, it's very samesy with a few of my past designs, particularly my 'Palladian' Sophitia. Still, something here with some further iterations. Whether they will ever be forthcoming, mind you...

Ivy: Adornment

0-GoldenGoose01.jpg

GoldenGoose03.jpg
GoldenGoose04.jpg
GoldenGoose06.jpg
GoldenGoose05.jpg
GoldenGoose09.jpg
GoldenGoose08.jpg
GoldenGoose12.jpg
GoldenGoose07.jpg
GoldenGoose02.jpg
GoldenGoose11.jpg
GoldenGoose10.jpg

Last edited:
And since Raphael got a reference design, might as well do one for Amy. Does need a little bit of work to reduce the clipping issues in certain positions, but I was pleasantly surprised how doable this one was.

Amy: Bell of the Brawl

0-ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieveInBeatdowns05.jpg

ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieveInBeatdowns03.jpg
ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieveInBeatdowns01.jpg
ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieveInBeatdowns04.jpg
ClapYourHandsIfYouBelieveInBeatdowns02.jpg

Last edited:
Since Sophitia has a longstanding story arc of slowly losing a battle to the corruption of Soul Edge, I thought it might be interesting to do a take on her becoming Nightmare. It's a pity that Soul Edge is not amongst her possible weapons in this entry, but even that detail lacking, this may be my favorite of this little recent batch of output. Several slightly different versions here with different combinations of features representing marginally different levels of transformation.

Sophitia: Nightfall

0-OfferYourSoul39.jpg

OfferYourSoul05.jpg
OfferYourSoul06.jpg
OfferYourSoul07.jpg
OfferYourSoul08.jpg

OfferYourSoul38.jpg
OfferYourSoul21.jpg
OfferYourSoul33.jpg
OfferYourSoul17.jpg
OfferYourSoul20.jpg
OfferYourSoul37.jpg
OfferYourSoul01.jpg
OfferYourSoul24.jpg
OfferYourSoul25.jpg
OfferYourSoul03.jpg
OfferYourSoul36.jpg
OfferYourSoul22.jpg
OfferYourSoul09.jpg
OfferYourSoul34.jpg

Attachments

• OfferYourSoul02.jpg
    OfferYourSoul02.jpg
    816.8 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul04.jpg
    OfferYourSoul04.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 79
  • OfferYourSoul10.jpg
    OfferYourSoul10.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul11.jpg
    OfferYourSoul11.jpg
    549.4 KB · Views: 75
  • OfferYourSoul12.jpg
    OfferYourSoul12.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 77
  • OfferYourSoul13.jpg
    OfferYourSoul13.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 72
  • OfferYourSoul14.jpg
    OfferYourSoul14.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul15.jpg
    OfferYourSoul15.jpg
    695.6 KB · Views: 77
  • OfferYourSoul16.jpg
    OfferYourSoul16.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 78
  • OfferYourSoul18.jpg
    OfferYourSoul18.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul19.jpg
    OfferYourSoul19.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 79
  • OfferYourSoul23.jpg
    OfferYourSoul23.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul26.jpg
    OfferYourSoul26.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 77
  • OfferYourSoul27.jpg
    OfferYourSoul27.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 79
  • OfferYourSoul28.jpg
    OfferYourSoul28.jpg
    625 KB · Views: 79
  • OfferYourSoul29.jpg
    OfferYourSoul29.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 77
  • OfferYourSoul30.jpg
    OfferYourSoul30.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 76
  • OfferYourSoul31.jpg
    OfferYourSoul31.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 77
  • OfferYourSoul32.jpg
    OfferYourSoul32.jpg
    899.9 KB · Views: 74
  • OfferYourSoul35.jpg
    OfferYourSoul35.jpg
    627.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Since Sophitia has a longstanding storyarch of slowly losing a battle to the corruption of Soul Edge, I thought it might be interested to do a take on her becoming Nightmare. It's a pity that Soul Edge is not amongst her possible weapons in this entry, but even that detail lacking, this may be my favorite of this little recent batch of output. Several slightly different versions here with different combinations of features representing marginally different levels of transformation.

Sophitia: Nightfall

View attachment 91932

You know what's crazy? i had a dream i was playing a soul calibur game; and Sophitia had a malfested form or something. the way you designed her face looks almost identical to that dream malfested version😮 also, my newest Taki design was inspired by that same dream- almost a copy and paste. that can't be a coincidence - SC7 confirmed 😁😂

You know what's crazy? i had a dream i was playing a soul calibur game; and Sophitia had a malfested form or something. the way you designed her face looks almost identical to that dream malfested version😮 also, my newest Taki design was inspired by that same dream- almost a copy and paste. that can't be a coincidence - SC7 confirmed 😁😂
Oh, that is a crazy coincidence! Yeah, I think that outcome for the face was alright--the best element I thought to add was certainly the horn erupting from the forehead and dripping blood from the sore; I'm really happy with how that turned out--but I am going to make further variations on it to try to get it to look not just withered and worn and blistered and desiccated, but also truly twisted and reshaped in a malfested way, on a more than just surface level. I mean, the current approach sort of does that, but you know how it is: the tools are extremely limited in that respect and really create the need for some out-of-the-box thinking when it comes to cobbling together those effects. And as if the standard limitations aren't vexing enough at times, there's also some bugs that come into play when you try to layer certain stickers--but look who I am talking to: you would know that better than anyone!

Anyhow, I hope to find the time to polish it a little further, but all in all, she's one of my favorite pieces of design that I've done in the last year as is: thematically I think she just works and does look like what you'd expect Sophitia to look like if she was transforming into Nightmare, in that way that SCV Nightmare was formed from Raphael as the new host, as a matter of narrative told partly through design. A lot of my other concepts when I've taken a moment to sit down in the last year for occasional CaS experimentation have just not gotten where I wanted them and made me re-assess once again whether SCVI's editor was really much of an improvement in the final analysis. But I really couldn't have expected better than I managed in this case, based on where I started and what I wanted. So a pleasant surprise on the whole. :)

On a side note, I think it's just super amusing and fun that we keep creating these counter-point designs contemporaneously through dumb luck. Especially because that Taki design (particularly the second iteration in your most recent post) is one of my all time favorites of yours: very slick and refined and polished, and your technique just fits like a glove for the outfit. Full disclosure: I'm going to stea-- cough ...I mean...repurpose... that pumpkin hair technique at some point, I am certain! One of these days we are going to have to trade some CaS files to get some images of these designs in the same frame--they are (dare I say it) destined to fight, it seems. ;)

Last edited:
Ahh okay, i gotcha. oh, you like the second version of custom Taki? thank you so much man💗 that's exactly why i made two version of that design - i already knew some people would like the first version more or some people would like the second version more ect. i agree, that's probably my best design at the moment. the pumpkin hair technique? here, lemme help you out -

Slot #1: 0 2 -3 -49 -27 -48 174 180 0
Slot #2: 0 4 -2 -43 -43 -40 -101 -180 180
Slot #3: -1 6 2 -46 -50 -50 57 -99 0
I hope that helps👍

L'idée ici était de prendre Ivy plutôt diamétralement opposé à son esthétique générale et de la revêtir d'une armure. C'était ma préférée d'un certain nombre d'approches différentes, mais je ne sais pas... J'ai l'impression qu'il a encore besoin de quelque chose - peut-être un travail supplémentaire sur le couvre-chef : le voile simulé et le visage en métal n'apparaissent pas vraiment comme prévu, surtout dans les images fixes, ce qui donne un aspect un peu comique. Et pour être parfaitement honnête, c'est très similaire à quelques-unes de mes créations passées, en particulier ma Sophitia 'palladienne'. Pourtant, quelque chose a choisi ici avec quelques itérations supplémentaires. S'ils ne seront jamais à venir, attention...

Lierre : Parure

View attachment 91888

Design assez simple, par nécessité, mais vous ne pouvez pas nier qu'il y a une ressemblance !

Raphaël : Dire Corsaire

View attachment 91921

For me, it 's zoro!!!

For me, it 's zoro!!!
Ah yes, the other Man in Black!

Ahh okay, i gotcha. oh, you like the second version of custom Taki? thank you so much man💗 that's exactly why i made two version of that design - i already knew some people would like the first version more or some people would like the second version more ect. i agree, that's probably my best design at the moment. the pumpkin hair technique? here, lemme help you out -

Slot #1: 0 2 -3 -49 -27 -48 174 180 0
Slot #2: 0 4 -2 -43 -43 -40 -101 -180 180
Slot #3: -1 6 2 -46 -50 -50 57 -99 0
I hope that helps👍

Here we go, just a couple of very small tweaks, but they do make for a noticeable improvement.

NightfallU01.jpg
NightfallU02.jpg

I also did some updating of 'Adorned' Ivy, creating two new variations with more balanced and stronger color schemes, as well as cleaner helm builds. I think the results both sell as Ivy quite a bit better than the original vanilla design.

AdornedU02.jpg
AdornedU03.jpg
AdornedU04.jpg
AdornedU17.jpg
AdornedU08.jpg
AdornedU10.jpg
AdornedU12.jpg
AdornedU13.jpg
AdornedU14.jpg
AdornedU16.jpg
AdornedU11.jpg
AdornedU15.jpg
AdornedU05.jpg
AdornedU07.jpg
AdornedU06.jpg
AdornedU09.jpg

And while we're at it: here's an alternate helmet build for 'Cyberborked' Voldo...

CyborkedU01.jpg

Made an effort at recreating my 'Netherious Warrior' design in SCVI. The assets for the SCV version are actually better in this instance, but I was able to get a close approximation:

NetherU02.jpg
NetherU01.jpg

Sharper colors for 'Bonnie on the Highway' Hilde...though now that I look at it, I should have also taken the time to adjust the objects a little to avoid the clipping that seems to occur for every other posture:

BonnieU.jpg

And last, still trying to dial in Ri's outfit...

RiU01.jpg
RiU02.jpg

I actually did five variations on this theme--some of which were meant to be Astaroth in minotaur armor, and others of which looked more like actual minotaurs using Astaroth as the base--but only two are close enough to finished to warrant sharing at this point.

Astaroth: Seeing Red (Cretan Crush)

0-Seeing Red28.jpg

Astaroth: Seeing Red (Black Angus)

0-Seeing Red33.jpg

Seeing Red01.jpg
Seeing Red02.jpg
Seeing Red04.jpg
Seeing Red03.jpg
Seeing Red06.jpg
Seeing Red08.jpg
Seeing Red09.jpg
Seeing Red10.jpg
Seeing Red11.jpg
Seeing Red15.jpg
Seeing Red18.jpg
Seeing Red20.jpg
Seeing Red19.jpg
Seeing Red05.jpg
Seeing Red21.jpg
Seeing Red13.jpg
Seeing Red07.jpg
Seeing Red14.jpg
Seeing Red16.jpg
Seeing Red22.jpg
Seeing Red23.jpg
Seeing Red31.jpg
Seeing Red29.jpg
Seeing Red27.jpg
Seeing Red36.jpg
Seeing Red24.jpg
Seeing Red12.jpg
Seeing Red34.jpg
Seeing Red25.jpg
Seeing Red26.jpg
Seeing Red32.jpg
Seeing Red35.jpg

Last edited:
Another update post, with some polish on some previously shared designs.

First up, 'Dane-ish': no radical changes here, but definite improvements on the surface and object work throughout. I'm still a little frustrated at how simple the attire is; honestly, with regard to SCVI's version of the editor, it feels like straightforward historical designs can be the most difficult to effectuate, with medieval designs of both western and eastern origin being particularly difficult in terms of limited assets--and interestingly, the problem is actually more pronounced with male than female asset selection. Nevertheless, the tinkering here has made a big difference in the final quality with this build, and I consider it a modest success in terms of finally getting to where I wanted it from the start (even if it is a bit plain jane, despite the detailed headwork). Speaking of which, several different versions of the face here, all of which I think reach to that viking element in different ways.

SoCloseGoshDaneIt27.jpg

SoCloseGoshDaneIt04.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt08.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt07.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt01.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt11.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt05.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt12.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt13.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt25.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt15.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt16.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt17.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt14.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt18.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt28.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt24.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt19.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt29.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt02.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt20.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt26.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt10.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt23.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt06.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt03.jpg
SoCloseGoshDaneIt21.jpg

And another reference design, also based on an interpretation of a historical figure as represented in contemporary media. I originally assigned 'Bao Longtu' Xiangua's style, since her Huan Dao was the best of the weapon options. However, with Hwang's style and weapons now an option, he looks much better with it--with the added little benefit that he can seem to be serving a writ/warrant/judgement now. ;) That said, even considering the constraints of the reference point, I'm still not altogether satisfied with the surface work here, particularly as regards the lower elements.

Judgement09.jpg

Judgement01.jpg
Judgement02.jpg
Judgement03.jpg
Judgement05.jpg
Judgement06.jpg
Judgement04.jpg
Judgement08.jpg
Judgement07.jpg
Judgement11.jpg
Judgement10.jpg

I tried to create a variant for my 'Envy' design--or more accurately, another SCVI variant, since I've been iterating on this design/OC since SCIV. This effort just did not come together quite as I may have hoped: it's something about the color balance and the patterning on the top. Still, looking at it now, I wish I had made the space to save this design because I think it could get somewhere with some tweaking. In any event, the previous version is far superior, I have to say.

Enviouser01.jpg
Enviouser02.jpg
Enviouser03.jpg
Enviouser04.jpg

I'm going to start sounding like a broken record here, and my own worst critic, but this next one is another design that I'm not so sure of. In this version, I've subdued what was originally a very bold color scheme by desaturating, darkening, and tweaking the pattern influences. It's definitely looking cleaner, but I'm still fundamentally unsure about the underlying design. Anyhow, 'Seong Mi-na: Bad Penny of the Night' 2.0:

YesMadam03.jpg

YesMadam02.jpg
YesMadam04.jpg
YesMadam01.jpg
YesMadam06.jpg
YesMadam07.jpg
YesMadam08.jpg
YesMadam09.jpg
YesMadam10.jpg
YesMadam05.jpg

And lastly, a very slight update on '2B: Eh 2, Brute', with some extra surface detail work and a little more conformity with the target A2 design.

AhToo.jpg

Well, that's it for the updates. I have to wonder (with traffic being what it is right now) if these additions serve any purpose other than my desire to compile the new versions in one place, but hopefully someone gets something out of some of these images or the rambling musings about technique. In any event, a few new cast custom original designs (all of which I am fairly happy with) are also finished and coming up next--just as soon as I can find time to upload them.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
I'm pretty happy with this pop fantasy-esque Mitsu design, particularly as regards how the more subtle object and surface flourishes worked out. As is typical of my more recent designs, I couldn't seem to settle on a color version, so you'll find a variety here: the first might actually be the best in terms of color balance, but most of the others have more engaging detail and I have to say that, against my expectations, the ruffled collar actually looks pretty good with the brown/blue accent version.

Mitsurugi: Jagged Edge

0-SoEdgy11.jpg

SoEdgy26.jpg
SoEdgy21.jpg
SoEdgy15.jpg
SoEdgy29.jpg
SoEdgy28.jpg
SoEdgy31.jpg
SoEdgy04.jpg
SoEdgy14.jpg
SoEdgy17.jpg

SoEdgy16.jpg