The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

I'm not going to front on this one guys: I'm super happy with how this one turned out. It's a rarity in this medium where the final product arrives so close to where I originally imagined it, with so little compromise to technical and asset limitations. Although it has a handful of clever elements, this is not the most technically complex design I have ever done, but it is one of the more beautiful, by my own measure--and without question one of the closest-to-the-mark reference designs I have yet managed.

2B: Dream of the New Age

View attachment 84907

This creation takes me somewhere -- it's very enchanting. good job! 👍

Hey, anyone want to look at my Hwang? Yes, I know that's a terrible, terrible joke, but I couldn't resist: it has, afterall, been 16 years in the making! Anyway, here's a trio of original takes on our long absent and well welcome swordsman; with some ideas off the bat, I actually finished these very shortly after the DLC was released a couple of days back, but am just finding time to share them.

The first leverages the Quo Vadis weapon set, the long hair and Hwang's physique to tap into the classical "sword and sorcery" genre of film and literature--you know: your Conans, your Kulls, your Dars, and their assorted more B-movie brethren. I suppose with a name like Quo Vadis maybe it should have been a sword-and-sandal character, but honestly the morphology of that weapon is more Xena than Xenophon. Anyway, and admittedly simple design, and I'm not sure that the midsection wrap shouldn't have more of a more rough and hide-or-fur-like pattern, but I think it all comes together pretty well.

The second design is another in my series of 'cosplay'/'hybrid' designs (main roster SC characters used as a base to try to capture the design of a non-SC character, or something in between the two). As always, I'll be interested to see if the reference is picked up on by anybody, but I'm pleased with this one regardless: the merged aesthetic works whether you know the inspiration or not, I think.

And last but not least, a new entry for my series of designs meant to hearken back to the Shaw Bros. era of classic Kung Fu flicks--a foil of sorts that looks good standing opposite my Kiliks developed in the same oeuvre.

Hwang: Hyperborealic

0-Lookatmybarehwang03.jpg

Lookatmybarehwang15.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang01.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang08.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang12.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang16.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang10.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang04.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang02.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang11.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang05.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang09.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang13.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang06.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang14.jpg
Lookatmybarehwang07.jpg

Hwang - Cloak of Chaos

0-Lookatmyredhwang33.jpg

Lookatmyredhwang07.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang30.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang15.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang17.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang08.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang11.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang09.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang05.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang01.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang10.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang06.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang03.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang19.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang12.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang04.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang20.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang16.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang13.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang27.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang21.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang22.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang28.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang24.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang23.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang29.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang25.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang35.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang32.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang31.jpg
Lookatmyredhwang34.jpg

Hwang: Manchu Methods

0-Lookatmypurplehwang24.jpg

Lookatmypurplehwang04.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang18.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang16.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang17.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang02.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang11.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang13.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang14.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang08.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang03.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang01.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang12.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang05.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang19.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang15.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang06.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang20.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang10.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang09.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang21.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang22.jpg
Lookatmypurplehwang23.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, anyone want to look at my Hwang? Yes, I know that's a terrible, terrible joke, but I couldn't resist: it has, afterall, been 16 years in the making! Anyway, here's a trio of original takes on our long absent and well welcome swordsman; with some ideas off the bat, I actually finished these very shortly after the DLC was released a couple of days back, but am just finding time to share them.

The first leverages the Quo Vadis weapon set, the long hair and Hwang's physique to tap into the classical "sword and sorcery" genre of film and literature--you know: your Conans, your Kulls, your Dars, and their assorted more B-movie brethren. I suppose with a name like Quo Vadis maybe it should have been a sword-and-sandal character, but honestly the morphology of that weapon is more Xena than Xenophon. Anyway, and admittedly simple design, and I'm not sure that the midsection wrap shouldn't have more of a more rough and hide-or-fur-like pattern, but I think it all comes together pretty well.

The second design is another in my series of 'cosplay'/'hybrid' designs (main roster SC characters used as a base to try to capture the design of a non-SC character, or something in between the two). As always, I'll be interested to see if the reference is picked up on by anybody, but I'm pleased with this one regardless: the merged aesthetic works whether you know the inspiration or not, I think.

And last but not least, a new entry for my series of designs meant to hearken back to the Shaw Bros. era of classic Kung Fu flicks--a foil of sorts that looks good standing opposite my Kiliks developed in the same oeuvre.

Hwang: Hyperborealic

View attachment 85927

Hwang - Cloak of Chaos

View attachment 85944

Hwang: Manchu Methods

View attachment 85980

Hello, these first images seem interesting to me compared to your wishes, but I hope for a little artistic outburst in the final vision of these three characters ... can't wait to see ... Ah yes, the era of Shaw Bros films with this delightfully old-fashioned and classy charm

Hello, these first images seem interesting to me compared to your wishes, but I hope for a little artistic outburst in the final vision of these three characters ... can't wait to see ... Ah yes, the era of Shaw Bros films with this delightfully old-fashioned and classy charm
Thanks D--I appreciate the interest. :) Forgive the delay in response: one of those weeks. As you correctly surmised from my comments, these guys were rushed out without final polish in order to not be too late to the Hwang celebration. But that said, none of these three is actually going to be getting much more than some minor revisions, I don't think. I know that might seem strange, because many of my creations push the asset count to the limit--a propensity I know is shared by yourself as well as several others here. But at the same time, I am big defender of the idea that not every creation needs (or even necessarily benefits from) maximum detailing. Yes, it's certainly true that a failure to sufficiently develop the detail work on a concept is one of the most common and most limiting oversights that inexperienced CaS designers make, but I also think that sometimes more experienced CaSers can become obsessive about cramming as many clever flares as possible into a design, resulting in a final product that is too busy.

Of course, to some degree this is a matter of individual technique and style: for example, it makes perfect sense to me that your designs almost always utilize maximum ExEq and patterns--because you create characters that are often inhuman and wild (in the best possible way), and you need to create solutions to shortfalls in the editor kit. But to use my own case as a counter-example, while I sometimes do similar crazy-concept designs, my portfolio is all over the place and sometimes includes reference works or concepts that borrow from art and costume design from many different sources. So, to use my trio of Hwangs above to illustrate my point and explain why they will only get a little more detail work:
  • 'Hyperborealic' Hwang is a take on classical sword and sorcery heroes, particularly those of the B-movie variety: these guys were often half clad in impractical, vaguely-defined "warrior in the wastelands" garb, so giving him much more in the way of clothes will undermine that concept;
  • 'Cloak of Chaos' Hwang is one of my cosplay/hybrid designs, and the idea is to make him as close as possible to the target design, so anything that does not serve that interest is to be avoided.
  • 'Manchu Methods' Hwang is meant to borrow from a particular era of wuxia film, where costume design was very simple and followed certain tropes, one of which I am leaning on here--there's only so much flair that can be added here before that aesthetic is compromised.
Incidentally, I hope this doesn't come off as an ambivalent response: all of the above commentary aligns with thoughts I had when reading technique discussions here in the last couple of months--discussions which I did not have the time to engage with when they took place, but which I found interesting. But in addition to not having the time to engage then, said discussions also took place in the portfolio threads of other artists, and I didn't want to hijack their discussions or be contrarian with regard to their advice in their own threads. But I find it a very interesting topic all the same and couldn't resist the opening to engage with it here! That said, my Hwangs will get some degree of revising when I can find the time, and I'll ping you to get your impressions when I do!

Thanks D--I appreciate the interest. :) Forgive the delay in response: one of those weeks. As you correctly surmised from my comments, these guys were rushed out without final polish in order to not be too late to the Hwang celebration. But that said, none of these three is actually going to be getting much more than some minor revisions, I don't think. I know that might seem strange, because many of my creations push the asset count to the limit--a propensity I know is shared by yourself as well as several others here. But at the same time, I am big defender of the idea that not every creation needs (or even necessarily benefits from) maximum detailing. Yes, it's certainly true that a failure to sufficiently develop the detail work on a concept is one of the most common and most limiting oversights that inexperienced CaS designers make, but I also think that sometimes more experienced CaSers can become obsessive about cramming as many clever flares as possible into a design, resulting in a final product that is too busy.

Of course, to some degree this is a matter of individual technique and style: for example, it makes perfect sense to me that your designs almost always utilize maximum ExEq and patterns--because you create characters that are often inhuman and wild (in the best possible way), and you need to create solutions to shortfalls in the editor kit. But to use my own case as a counter-example, while I sometimes do similar crazy-concept designs, my portfolio is all over the place and sometimes includes reference works or concepts that borrow from art and costume design from many different sources. So, to use my trio of Hwangs above to illustrate my point and explain why they will only get a little more detail work:
  • 'Hyperborealic' Hwang is a take on classical sword and sorcery heroes, particularly those of the B-movie variety: these guys were often half clad in impractical, vaguely-defined "warrior in the wastelands" garb, so giving him much more in the way of clothes will undermine that concept;
  • 'Cloak of Chaos' Hwang is one of my cosplay/hybrid designs, and the idea is to make him as close as possible to the target design, so anything that does not serve that interest is to be avoided.
  • 'Manchu Methods' Hwang is meant to borrow from a particular era of wuxia film, where costume design was very simple and followed certain tropes, one of which I am leaning on here--there's only so much flair that can be added here before that aesthetic is compromised.
Incidentally, I hope this doesn't come off as an ambivalent response: all of the above commentary aligns with thoughts I had when reading technique discussions here in the last couple of months--discussions which I did not have the time to engage with when they took place, but which I found interesting. But in addition to not having the time to engage then, said discussions also took place in the portfolio threads of other artists, and I didn't want to hijack their discussions or be contrarian with regard to their advice in their own threads. But I find it a very interesting topic all the same and couldn't resist the opening to engage with it here! That said, my Hwangs will get some degree of revising when I can find the time, and I'll ping you to get your impressions when I do!
your point is defended and I understand the dilem of a risk too tempting to overload a character which would be the opposite of the desired result. to each his own style and desires to create ... and have fun

Variety is the spice of life, my friends! The designs in this gallery that lean most towards that 'artsy' approach you two are talking about (if I understand your meaning correctly) would tend to be the ones with white borders--my originals. In those instances, I am embracing only my own creativity and I tend to go a little more hog wild, in both a technical and stylistic sense. By comparison, if I do a reference piece, I am trying to capture someone else's design aesthetic--and more than that, the source character may vary in medium across multiple types of cinema, animation, fixed mediums, literature, historical imagery--there's even been a puppet and an action figure in there--and any of these can constrain the approaches on how you render that design.

Meanwhile, my main roster custom designs tend to be somewhere in between these two. Even setting aside my 'SC character playing the role of a non-SC character' hybrids, a lot of my main roster custom designs tend to be situated in particular historical contexts (often ones the actual characters would not find themselves in, even in SC's whacky canon), or particular pop aesthetics. Though I guess that's true of most of us, to lesser or greater extents.

It may also help to put a finer point on what I mean if i explain something about my own process. Often times I come into a design already having a fairly clear image of what I am aiming for (either because it is a reference piece or I had the idea for a custom or original design before I sat down to make it) and I just go about putting it together in the manner that seems to make most sense. But for a huge portion of my main roster customs and my originals, I actually for free-form at the beginning: I will start with my main roster model or figure out the parameters of my custom model and then begin testing various hair, colouring and body detail work to try to find some inspiration. From there, I build outward in layers (in both the literal and the figurative sense), including object work, as the concept becomes more and more clear--occasionally going back to rethink earlier decisions, of course.

So with an approach like that, I definitely know the temptation to just do each of those layers to the maximum. And I do indulge that impulse quite frequently: I mean, with 90%+ of my designs I am frustrated by the 3 object cap or various other limitations of the editor (though of course finding creative work-arounds is a part of the fun with CaS). But I also try to listen to the creation and let it tell me when it is done, if that makes any sense--and I'm not sure it should, but that's the best way I can think to say it!

Last edited:
Now that i think about it, you're totally right man. our OC characters tend to be more artsy than our cast edits. that's so true.

Last edited by a moderator:
I join you on the design method ... either with a plan, a predefined idea under the influence of various media or by developing ^ by trial and error if I do not have a precise idea, but less fruitful for me

Now that i think about it, you're totally right man. our OC characters tend to be more artsy than our cast edits. that's so true.
And that's just a part of the spectrum: at one end we have reference designs (whether that's a recreated cast XP from an earlier SC game or a design that references non-SC media) and at the other end we have original creations. With the former, the major question tends to be how you are going to create a design as close as possible to the ideal in your mind's eye. And with the later, the focus falls more upon discovering that image. For me, the custom mainroster/cast designs are various combinations of these competing (but not mutually exclusive) types of creativity. But at the end of the day, fully custom designs are, by definition, always going to be a better barometer of the artist's unique style.

I join you on the design method ... either with a plan, a predefined idea under the influence of various media or by developing ^ by trial and error if I do not have a precise idea, but less fruitful for me
I'd like to be able to say for certain which approach leads to the best outcomes for me. But honestly, except in a handful of cases, I've forgotten which of my full customs and cast customs are the result of firm concepts before I began practical work on them and how many resulted from experimentation and free-flow process. I think it's about 30-40% of my (non-reference) designs are the latter, but I can't remember which are which in most cases. But I do know that at least a handful of my all time favorites are concepts that probably would not have occurred to me but for a half-random combination of assets. In fact, I keep a log of photos of interesting effects that I stumble on while working one concept, which I notice would be useful for an entirely different kind of design; these too have lead to some of my favorite concepts.

Anyway, I should probably stop yapping and get back to contributing something. Can I get your impressions on who to upload next, guys, from among Amy, Cassandra, Haohmaru, Ivy, Kilik, Mitsurugi, Nightmare, Seong Mi-na, Siegfried, Talim, Tira, Voldo, Yoshimitsu, and Zasalamel?

I build these characters in this register of free expression and certainly under the unconscious influence of so many achievements relating to my personal culture ... also sometimes with interesting finds that I download for later use or not. The result is dictated either by a voluntary approach to a desired character in most cases with all these influences in my possession, or even by trial and error without a predefined idea and more random in the final result. In these two cases, there are advantages and disadvantages subject to the limitations of the materials conferred by SC6 ...

2 characters represent a hell of a challenge in my opinion: Voldo and yoshimitshu ...

Sorry my friends i was bored out and stressed out for misc. reasons.

Hyperborealic is a cool name, just missing some grit (wounds, blood) and ExEq surprises tbch. But i understand where you were going with the clean look as an hommage.
The others ones are cool, with some soul reaver / kung fu movie feel :)
I totally agree with all the comments and yes, i tend to do exactly as you say, sometimes my designs end up overcrowded because of the way my mind works.
I think SuperDurand has a point too regarding using themes and inspiration rather than Trial and Error, but i do both and that's probably why i end up pushing the boundaries a bit further like some other outside the box thinkers here (Umbra4Life to just name one)

I will be posting a couple CAS soonish, just need to edit...

@SD, you of all people are certainly capable of doing awe-inspiring Yoshi and Voldos (with hats!), come on :)
I did only a few i must admit, but i think pretty original in a weird way :)

@SD, you of all people are certainly capable of doing awe-inspiring Yoshi and Voldos (with hats!), come on :)

Yes, it is possible and above all very complicated. These two characters are so unique, atypical that I cannot visualize a result that matches their particularities. I have often tried, without succeeding. The result often ended up in the recycle bin. I think Voldo is the super chalenger for me. Lately I'm glad I did something with astaroth, even though I still find him too wise

Sorry my friends i was bored out and stressed out for misc. reasons.
Welcome back, Vil! I hope all is well (or at least improved) offline. Can't wait to see what you have in the chamber for us!
Hyperborealic is a cool name
Ahhh, it's so nice to have you back, my punster pal--I can always count on you to catch the self-indulgent, euphuistic word play. ;)

I totally agree with all the comments and yes, i tend to do exactly as you say, sometimes my designs end up overcrowded because of the way my mind works.

Yeah, mine too, sometimes--it's still the case that more often than not, I am irritated towards the end of a design that I couldn't do everything I wanted because of the asset cap. But maybe its a consequence of being once again crazy busy with many different obligations, or maybe its a sign of accumulating age, but I find lately I am having an easier time laying off the gas--sometimes even before I hit the asset limits.

I think SuperDurand has a point too regarding using themes and inspiration rather than Trial and Error, but i do both and that's probably why i end up pushing the boundaries a bit further like some other outside the box thinkers here (Umbra4Life to just name one)
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong: inspiration and a clear concept can't be beat and makes things so much easier: the designs I create from an image that is somewhat clear in my head even before I start practical work are still in the majority. But I know my work as a whole would be a lot more pedestrian if I didn't occasionally take time to let the process itself have a turn at the wheel, if that makes sense. I'm sure you know what I mean: feel like your work is a tribute to that experimental approach, if anyone's is!

2 characters represent a hell of a challenge in my opinion: Voldo and yoshimitshu ...
Yes, it is possible and above all very complicated. These two characters are so unique, atypical that I cannot visualize a result that matches their particularities. I have often tried, without succeeding. The result often ended up in the recycle bin. I think Voldo is the super chalenger for me. Lately I'm glad I did something with astaroth, even though I still find him too wise

Oh man, you picked the two toughest choices from that list, from my perspective! I totally agree with you that that these guys are particularly idiosyncratic and therefor present some of the biggest challenges to use as the base for custom designs: building on top of them--in a way that 1) leverages their unique features but 2) also manages to create something unique and creative--is quite a bit harder than it is with the average main roster character/model, imo. This could take a while!

So, I've got about a dozen new designs I threw together on a lazy evening the other day: let's see how far i can get into putting them up today. Some of these are definetly more polished than others, but the way big chunks of time seem to disappear in a blur these days, I figured I'd share these while it was on my mind and the forum is kind of active.

First up, per the suggestion of our man Durand, a Voldo custom. This is definitely one of those 'letting the design unfold as it goes' cases, per our recent discussion above, and I really like how the dark gothic fantasy vibe took shape: he definetly looks like he would be at home in Bloodborne or Bloodstained: RotN. I considered doing some experiments with stickers to give a more defined visage while maintaining the deep blood red colouring, but ran out of time: maybe I will make a variation down the line. But I like this version in any event: one of the difficulties with a Voldo custom is working around the bdsm mask. Here, I decided to make that limitation a virtue. The scissors were a no brainer as the weapon: what could better fit the Victorian horror vibe?

Voldo: Barberous

0-ALittleOffTheTop09.jpg

ALittleOffTheTop16.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop05.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop19.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop29.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop18.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop14.jpg

ALittleOffTheTop08.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop01.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop02.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop15.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop03.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop04.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop17.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop07.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop06.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop21.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop12.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop10.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop22.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop13.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop11.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop23.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop20.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop25.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop26.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop24.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop27.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop28.jpg
ALittleOffTheTop30.jpg

A modern and somewhat westernized variation on Yoshimitsu's perennial demon-outlaw-highwayman milieu. This one also started with a little experimentation, but once I had the head more or less settled, the rest of the concept fell into place pretty quickly. It really does need some body art and some insignias on the vest to tie the idea all together, and I think the color balance needs some tweaking, but I'm pretty happy with the core build here.

Yoshimitsu: Heaven's Demon

0-Apostrophe04.jpg

Apostrophe15.jpg
Apostrophe02.jpg
Apostrophe10.jpg
Apostrophe09.jpg
Apostrophe06.jpg
Apostrophe05.jpg
Apostrophe03.jpg
Apostrophe07.jpg
Apostrophe08.jpg
Apostrophe16.jpg
Apostrophe13.jpg
Apostrophe12.jpg
Apostrophe17.jpg
Apostrophe14.jpg
Apostrophe01.jpg

Last edited:
And now for a small menagerie of designs which leverage the animal masks which I have mostly eschewed in SCVI to date. First up, veritable flock of variations on a theme: only after the fact did it occur to me I should have varied the sizes and body morphologies on these guys more, in addition to the other details. In any event, I have to say that Hwang's style and assets have opened up some interesting new design paths.

Aevian: Rude Awakening

0-TheBird90.jpg

Aevian: Polly

0-TheBird83.jpg

Aevian: LordyHawke

0-TheBird55.jpg

Aevian: Cardinal Rule

0-TheBird07.jpg

Aevian: Sparrowing Opponent

0-TheBird76.jpg

Aevian: Achaman

0-TheBird68.jpg

Aevian: Homer

0-TheBird56.jpg

Aevian: Blue Sky Strategy

0-TheBird80.jpg

Aevian: Night Singer

0-TheBird65.jpg

Last edited:
I decided to go in a different direction from the usual hulking affairs that this piece of headgear (quite understandably) inspires. I tried a number of different patterns to keep the gold threadwork of Cassandra's outfit consistent across Minnie's additional...idiosyncrasies, in a consistent fashion, but ultimately settled for a plain color in the midsection--still think I might experiment more with that in the future as, despite its several quirky aspects, the detail work is a little plain jane right now. Still, if I know my audience right, this will surely get some smiles--and probably some rolled eyes, and that's fair too. ;)

Minnie Taurus

0-UdderlyBadass02.jpg

UdderlyBadass06.jpg
UdderlyBadass05.jpg
UdderlyBadass04.jpg
UdderlyBadass03.jpg
UdderlyBadass01.jpg
UdderlyBadass11.jpg
UdderlyBadass09.jpg
UdderlyBadass08.jpg
UdderlyBadass12.jpg
UdderlyBadass10.jpg
UdderlyBadass14.jpg
UdderlyBadass15.jpg
UdderlyBadass13.jpg

I gave serious thought to using the neo-classical archetype for satyrs for this one, but ultimately decided that, aside from the fact that this theme of characters was inspired by the masks, the more ancient conception of the creature gave the design more weight, especially if you want to believe this guy as a fighter. Another case of the outfit looking a little shallow, I will grant, but still, the core design really makes me feel like he could be a character in a Ray Harryhausen film!

Satyrical

0-TheGOAT14.jpg

TheGOAT07.jpg
TheGOAT05.jpg
TheGOAT01.jpg
TheGOAT08.jpg
TheGOAT12.jpg
TheGOAT04.jpg

TheGOAT02.jpg
TheGOAT03.jpg
TheGOAT15.jpg
TheGOAT09.jpg