The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

I won't belabor the description guys: it's a horse man. A man with a horse's head. And a mustache. It was kind of fun to do a design essentially in black and white, for a change. I like the idea that he has the exterior coloring of an arabian horse, but applies warpaint in the form of zebra patterning, and so included a variation to that effect: ahh, sweet silly head canon!

Ramirez

0-AHorseOfCourse06.jpg

AHorseOfCourse01.jpg
AHorseOfCourse07.jpg
AHorseOfCourse05.jpg
AHorseOfCourse03.jpg
AHorseOfCourse08.jpg
AHorseOfCourse02.jpg
AHorseOfCourse10.jpg
AHorseOfCourse09.jpg
AHorseOfCourse11.jpg

Last edited:
And just a couple of silly concept pieces, both of which would only improve marginally with more detailed surface work. First, a turtle: this fellow resulted from a series of experiments that I did on what I hoped would be a brilliant design scheme: I wanted to create a Voldo custom design where there was a strong rabbit theme when standing up with Voldo's lanky build and body posture, but then have a turtle look when in Mantis Crawl stance--you know, for a clever 'tortoise and the hare' thing. Unfortunately, despite a bit of experimentation, I couldn't get anything that truly looked decent in both positions. So this is just a little something I threw together in five minutes when I gave up on that lofty concept: this guy isn't even a true design, as the cracks are very much showing when he is standing upright. But I do like this picture because, I imagine he is saying to Drona....

Achilles.jpg

"Sup?"

And then there's this one, also fable-based. Very underbaked, I will grant, but until I come up with a better use for the wolf mask for my little menagerie here, it will do.

0-WhyGrandma04.jpg

"My, what a vicious backswing you have, grandma!"

Last edited:
These next two, I'm pretty happy with. The first is also the last of my animal mask group--and also the only one where the concept actually is meant to be a person wearing an animal mask, rather than an animal person. Historical designs can be hit and miss with the editor's assets, but as I said, I am relatively pleased with these next two. The only little detail that I forgot to employ before I snapped these images is that the "blades" in the psuedo-macuahuitl should be darker to better capture the fact that they should be made out of obsidian.

Ocēlōtl

0-GetJaggyWithIt06.jpg

GetJaggyWithIt03.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt01.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt09.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt02.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt07.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt10.jpg
GetJaggyWithIt04.jpg

Last edited:
I considered making this design also with an animal mask, but I didn't think that approach worked as well with the approach to the eagle warrior (besides, I already went to the well on that asset with the Aevian designs). So I took a different tact on the aesthetic. I think it works pretty well, although I am still experimenting with the color balance on the feathers and some other elements. And obviously the basket is so kitschy that it only works from certain angles as a simulated woven shield. The tlacochtli looks better on it's own, but unfortunately I couldn't think of a way to render an atlatl with just one object asset, more's the pity.

Cuāuhtli

0-KnightRaptor10.jpg

KnightRaptor03.jpg
KnightRaptor02.jpg
KnightRaptor11.jpg
KnightRaptor17.jpg
KnightRaptor04.jpg
KnightRaptor05.jpg
KnightRaptor01.jpg
KnightRaptor14.jpg
KnightRaptor08.jpg
KnightRaptor06.jpg
KnightRaptor15.jpg
KnightRaptor12.jpg
KnightRaptor07.jpg
KnightRaptor16.jpg
KnightRaptor13.jpg
KnightRaptor09.jpg
KnightRaptor18.jpg
KnightRaptor19.jpg
KnightRaptor20.jpg
KnightRaptor22.jpg

Here's a reference design for a character I have taken a crack at with every version of the CaS editor to date, and which I've been meaning to attempt in VI for a while. Not perfect by any means, but I like the outcome all the same.

The Wind on High

0-Kyofu12.jpg

Kyofu04.jpg
Kyofu18.jpg
Kyofu05.jpg
Kyofu08.jpg
Kyofu06.jpg
Kyofu09.jpg
Kyofu01.jpg
Kyofu07.jpg
Kyofu14.jpg
Kyofu02.jpg
Kyofu11.jpg
Kyofu15.jpg
Kyofu10.jpg
Kyofu16.jpg
Kyofu17.jpg
Kyofu03.jpg
Kyofu19.jpg

Here's a reference design for a character I have taken a crack at with every version of the CaS editor to date, and which I've been meaning to attempt in VI for a while. Not perfect by any means, but I like the outcome all the same.

The Wind on High

View attachment 87286

this character reminds me of a protagonist of the knights of the zodiac ...

I considered making this design also with an animal mask, but I didn't think that approach worked as well with the approach to the eagle warrior (besides, I already went to the well on that asset with the Aevian designs). So I took a different tact on the aesthetic. I think it works pretty well, although I am still experimenting with the color balance on the feathers and some other elements. And obviously the basket is so kitschy that it only works from certain angles as a simulated woven shield. The tlacochtli looks better on it's own, but unfortunately I couldn't think of a way to render an atlatl with just one object asset, more's the pity.

interesting the headdress ... Very good idea!

this character reminds me of a protagonist of the knights of the zodiac ...
Oh, one of the saints? I can't say as I am anything more than cursorily familiar with the original series from back in the day, but I know the general thrust of the story. I'd be curious to know which design you thought this was reminiscent of, though, just out of curiosity: it is in fact an reference piece, but the franchise which provided the inspiration is a different one entirely.

Cuau is the looker and best of the bunch...others cool too and funny (dat wolf). You gonna give SD some crazy hat ideas
Haha--you're right: I hadn't realized it, but every one of those designs had something crazy going on with their head, whether it was utilizing the animal masks that I've mostly avoided up until now, or creating something a little more idiosyncratic. I guess it should be no surprise that this drop caught the attention of the two CaSers perhaps best known for crazy headgear!

You know, the funny thing is, I trialed more than dozen crazy helmet configurations on that last Yoshimitsu there, before settling on the one I did (for the time being anyway: archived the rest for experimentation), because it really spoke to me. And now I am noticing that (if you strip away some of the extra stuff) you already did virtually the same thing with your 'Crom' design.

I also saved that design for last/almost didn't upload it because at first I didn't like the color scheme I had chosen for it and almost re-did the surface work. But on second look the colors grew on me--and once I did upload it, it attracted the most likes of all that last group. Just goes to show, you never know what people will connect with in your work! Anyway, SD's suggestion of Voldo and Yoshimitsu has resulted in about a dozen additional proto-designs for those two, more complete versions of which you will probably see in the coming weeks, time allowing.

hello, the series goes back too far for me to tell you the character in question. When I looked at your character, I said to myself ... (hold on !!! it reminds me of a character from this series, just an echo of my past stuck on the small TV screen). In addition, the original series has benefited from multiple successful extensions ... Undoubtedly the trident, and the breastplate of YOSHIMITSU ... An allusion to this animated .....

For a trip down memory lane....

Some SCIII & SCIV Original Randos

This is truly a blast from the past!. your character Xilian do look a lot like the custom outfit i made for xiangua. great minds think alike👍 but wait, was the feather always on the helment like that?

This is truly a blast from the past!. your character Xilian do look a lot like the custom outfit i made for xiangua. great minds think alike👍 but wait, was the feather always on the helment like that?
Yes, I guess so--though I will admit I had forgotten about that detail myself until i went to link that image: I even did a double-take to make sure that it wasn't the tassel of the sword popping through in the background or via bug. Next time I have the game booted, I will make a point of checking, because I didn't recall a helmet tassel either (which, if so, so much for my great memory! :D).

Last edited:
Yes, I guess so, so though I will admit I had forgotten about that detail myself until i went to link that image: I even did a double-take to make sure that it wasn't the tassel of the sword popping through in the background or via bug. Next time I have the game booted, I will make a point of checking, because I didn't recall a helmet tassel either (which, if so, so much for my great memory! :D).
same here, my memory is terrible lol. well, it has been about 12 years since i played SCIV tho. oh yeah, i been meaning to ask you - are those SCIII pics recent or you took those years ago? you're a lucky bastard if you still have SCIII lmao

same here, my memory is terrible lol. well, it has been about 12 years since i played SCIV tho. oh yeah, i been meaning to ask you - are those SCIII pics recent or you took those years ago? you're a lucky bastard if you still have SCIII lmao
The creations themselves go back to the first year that SCIII was out, but I took the photos just this last year after I started uploading more recent creations here and decided to mix in a handful of legacy designs as well. I've kept a PS2 all of these years, in large part specifically for those rare occasions I want to play SCIII with old friends--just about every other great classic game on that platform you can find a port for, but not SCIII. And it's not the most balanced competetive title in the series, but what can I say: I want to be able to play any SC title on a whim if I choose to. Actually, in recent years I've been tempted to build a System 242 arcade cabinet just for the sake of once again playing the far-superior SCIII:AE. As to the CaS, I should count myself lucky that I still have them after all this time: SCIII:CE was infamous for save file corruption bugs, but I never had to contend with them myself, thankfully, possibly because I used a dedicated card for the game.

Wow! that is so cool. oh yeah, i forgot about the save file corruption bug. for me it only happened when i had auto save on. i wish i kept my ps2- i don't even remember what my created characters looked like on SCIII lol i know i had ninja character tho. that's pretty cool man.👍

Wow! that is so cool. oh yeah, i forgot about the save file corruption bug. for me it only happened when i had auto save on. i wish i kept my ps2- i don't even remember what my created characters looked like on SCIII lol i know i had ninja character tho. that's pretty cool man.👍
In addition to that post, you can find a handful of others smattered throughout my threads, since a small portion of my recurring designs which have been reinvented across multiple versions of the editor (such as Grachus here), originated in SCIII (also true of Grachus; actually, I think Grachus may be the only original character I have attempted to create in every version of the editor). And as it happens, Grachus is one of about 15 of my previous SCVI designs that I have updated in recent months but never found time to share the newest versions of:

Grachus03.jpg
AndAGrachyNewYear.jpg

Drat, I am just realizing I neglected to give him back his legate's baton after rebuilding this new version from scratch. I'll have to remember to update the update! Anyway, I will say this for SCIII's editor: it may feel primitive in some respects today, but there's gotta be about two hundred legacy CaS items from that game that I would almost kill to have replicated in the current engine for use in the present version of the editor. Lo-fi they may have been, but I think that first selection had some of the best style available in any CaS-enabled SC game.

Last edited:
Here's one for the Nier fans. Of course, it's exceedingly difficult to get a good match with the little design idiosyncrasies of the torn-up outfit. I really did throw a large number of combinations of approaches and techniques at the problem, and this is the best of the resulting versions. Not perfect, but close enough for me to be pretty happy with the result. Presenting:

2B [Critical Logic Error: Client and Unit ID Identical, param

<?xpacket end='w'?>ÿÛ C

%# , #&')*)-0-(0%()(ÿÛ C

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ÿÀ æ." ÿÄ ÿÄ \ !1AQa"q‘¡2±ÑðBRÁá#bñ$3r‚’¢²CScs4ÂÒ%Dƒ³t„“£Óâ&5Td´ÃÄ6EFu”ÿÄ ÿÄ - !1AQ"aBq2Rð#‘¡ÑÿÚ ? ñc3¾)¢f¦?Λft÷þµêyÃ)f}iÂ8ißúÑR‘–^¦Œ”Œ‡æiµ+udçùbÙõp&FYyüéwzÖvt¥±Èù~´ý^Gõ«[ ìùÒÙ?¦TI…IÝε°÷ÔƒGÈq<ª‚R&¼ÑØÈðÌük9z8ûoý¦óTÇ +øÎׇúE]J¥:˜áãY÷„ÏyYÆhåY¤v·ëÆŽ)gžþtíøþUe±Âº¹ûAi“¿Î ”ç‘«
ryÍM–åc)ó«jDl€6yïçW-ÚRÌ 5vÖÔ,
Úå'‰ç].„í¯L§IWγùVØ8#ω¯PèûJB Àùš„á(BƒœïQûlj®–Ù€Üe¨ÌÉù×n\»my½H¨i1¾¥'Ÿ„U¤}äSFt·šz‚;ÍD‰&§¢G˜
›y©Twšv¶prßN“1™ŠŒRñ£HA¥=ü)ÁËSYÒN•Dg¼Ó*&'^úløÓsùÓA“P¥ŸRxÒ)ž´¤«)<i·œé
hcQVìÑ»øÖoÄÔDŸçR m„å¿utŒÔ¼=i ‰“G>&$jyÝõ02ÐùÐÒyÑF‚‹á¨hä|ê$Gu2ÓÖ™B¢ªq‘Ò##åQñ ${´ßO@§@‘õƦ@“»Æª´ò§“:Ó¨g>³Ê˜'΃&ÜjCJ#çRðõ«I-¢7Ÿ¯
pªŠ@"”Á0=&ùc¾œ¡ŒÌTf#—Iô”(Éô@Ó/
ãþ›XAÈGÆœ¨: 9ëNIäp1FšØ„ærßN@ž"THISMUSTNOTCONTINUEœ¸éÊ¥µ€£¼iŠ³ÓãAÏ—ˆ¦$N_
ªØéVtTS»èÕD“¸útPs4híjk²§J%_WBȉ>09ÕËT•ª œÿ :d[t}µJÜL€3;ÏνK ´HlHÜu'ñ+p}¶!`ÁßÇñôÌ9ØŸúzpñrZm¨Ìú0 ùT…$V°IÓŸëRM2D?8äb‚šFU$‰OׂNU b3¬ØÔL
q•GÆ–|k:2¥M¾š9S´ãJÙ‰¨æ¤s&jõ©ËÆ¥J)5§ßLr:}õ
&)·IÒ¤ "Šaé©E*É1Ò8ÔRQ×<èg2sʘ-1ûÇëJ‚²Ëp§$ñÖ&`™ÎMtbÓ3ÝH|â¢I“:OÔ[×ë®ÙˆúßGIʱZ‚€c(ŽúŠ†fEI*ÙTŽb²Ò²ÓÔ ãXR|»èE"søÓµ£#‡Öú6êS|h©Lçõȉ9gQ4bŒ¤SCPÌýn¢Ub4ãJhTHISMUSTNOTCONTINUEŸçOèÖ¶N•j{éÄÅ"RG>4³ãK~”Ðê‘éY¤2¤7tTp2Ï^úxüé#õ¥¼ÐME(äM6óR6óH‰§Šn5cQJ<
mæ”b8S@5:‰R "š8ñõ4í#³õ4á#èšq–T¨FÙüÍ>ÈççHèi¼j;8Ê’uúçMãNcV)Go]ÔdÌiúÕtõãF gYüë5*g!Ξ5çL=d£HϾiŠsК†úPd£úÓ.ðð¤Dÿ :¶ ?_šFC…#‘Ï}HsúÖ¤mžF–Ç#¯0ª@k•
Ú QÀ;é’(©H×
M9O*z^5$THISMUSTNOTCONTINUE
FuŒÌ~tdç>ÈÖ¥«”AÒ£Õóô«1ÝH'/£V×U`Ý7—ó£ êp$d@lóL[DՌƴŠê>4ìéX¶&c.óK«Ó/X IÈúÓlƒ9¶4@áëSHÓœRŠ¶´lª`3¦IãZ1Lîõ¡-¼Î\7š² Šb<ª•))º‰o==M]#3§×1@;…;ãw©©lc`p[ åV×UU#3£õl¶ <;Í
M‰ÐS± @"¤CZ–ÀáëR ËCAǯ:Š‡/:1~µdzÔµ¥u
Q.Te~·PV5$v³9ʤ“Ïá0cSŸ}I:r?H@táð§Ä:`e¤'<℘3I'Lè@‘”ÑéüêQ4îï©Œ“—?Î 7T“<r¬Øvœ
ÀÓ(fN~t¶¹ü)L󨆬‰¨Zœª9Ó(®ZအšGq½$²OVHHó?„s®ñÁ‘ ®{hd¸žz··‡âÌlºrÞ8ð˜Qži'Ïç]^:Ш@Œ¤þó®}hOækÏ—Šë"°AËu>Ìâ{èÑõ¦Æ;«'@ìýOëO³–CÊh ñ™¦ÈœÀª öU¸ï¥Õ¨ê|(á êÔ¶ÎC!΃¥`˜ÊŠ”THISMUSTNOTCONTINUEÎóSØ^4T ŸÄÔ´$ˆã]_GpÀò’#Œf¯ÄyÖ£ ¬F“ÄפôRÔ 2÷ŸÆ®ŠtßèEJÏ3õáSBŒÄü)¥µcšïþ#[öDNdk\Í›™øðã[ÖNæ3‰ùן9·I]–wðù×NÇ×™®KrT3ËÉ®ƒÙ×wækÓÁ59Vþáñ©)ž”ŠÌëè+¾œDƒ¸ÓJ¸PÊÕÄù~•²>¢
´|·QœgÆ«%g}µD}o¢Ã*Ò]õ2£'8 %b2©I™‹Ø©$œ½ß[ÍUlçVÛ3?Íj
‘•;¨hÐqÏãD^µšÔM;»éÆúP(¢µ)+u!¬SÅ5 4')«
Ðò¡‘™TÆj¹Þ4ãAE¨”Ädr¥±¯¨+Ί´æ¬²ý*;÷iˆ8ž4“¯«“˜H"4ÙÔ‰:MN
qk><2¯HITHISMUSTNOTCONTINUEÚ… ;@§)¯íŽÞ.I×!A‘©ðš’IŒŽ]Ô-¨Þ<éçëÖ™¨Ï¼|6ÑüGÊ ;ãÊœIÞiоÚ?ˆùR×?Ê£ŸçM÷¿J´¥=Ät’~ñš‚IŒI:Nu$Á‘OPƒ®T§˜©läæs€THISMUSTNOTCONTINUE)µÐšTHISMUSTNOTCONTINUEcw÷Sé¸Ô‘$ÉåP:$Û Î^¦Äa¨Ÿ@iDgH Ö{ª¤Dä<M$ï¤$9VRFdçLA;é‡q¥<Àï©'ˆ S ;ý)k9åÊž Yñ¤í¬éRŒæ¤’LŠIßQüjIÕIÀΤ8NZ|j`²>µ›ZèÎF¬´<: eV#ë:Åâ…#• IúÖŠ“±[‚€#Ç#Â’MHCQ
yh%)<¿3^Ž?N<žSVBF´5êN´e´Î‚±ÙÆ IŸÐSŒó΢gŽtãQ:ÌiDBà Iò{¨}óM¼äjÐZJÌý(süªš—è(©^Yœû…fÆ¥[Bã|xU†œÎ ϸq¬ð¾áDB÷Ï~•›‹RµšpÏ,÷
°•NŸYÖ[œ„ñÜ8Ÿ]mÍ$Ÿ.uÊÇIVÁò5THISMUSTNOTCONTINUE,ùP’©åS¾³cQ #]iTHISMUSTNOTCONTINUETHISMUSTNOTCONTINUETHISMUSTNOTCONTINUETHISMUSTNOTCONTINUETHISMUSTNOTCONTINUETHISMUSTNOTCONTINUEg':iæ)M%¨‘™ZSætÒ¢N|ÿ J`¦Ó…1ßNN»ª2k@ˆ×Z@Ò–|iÆ{ªFŠQR1™æ„q¥4fixÒ©"¤É9RJZ—y¦
’iNŸ3O±ËãI*Ö´@r©@•Ëe%¢`>‘-œŒä¨äg:øªõ÷›¸@¹AEÕªú¥¥^ðÙ$zWßa;/6´Ä¡iXï$ž~èóÛçDØÂ>Ñ‘ˆÁ°éÆIR‡VøJBçµø³;Z@¬rùòßWìǤ?î¿MðûÕìûà-:‘÷šqPFzAI2 ç}Rý™fáÖIÛQHW∃ã_«;5¶

Timed System Reboot Initiated...
Memory Integrity Test...
Loading POST Protocols...
Self-Run Check...
Free I/O...
Res Stack Compiled...
Operator Online {Parameter: SID Disabled}...

Et 2, Brute

0-Coming@2-06.jpg

Coming@2-01.jpg
Coming@2-02.jpg
Coming@2-03.jpg
Coming@2-04.jpg
Coming@2-05.jpg
Coming@2-07.jpg
Coming@2-10.jpg
Coming@2-08.jpg
Coming@2-11.jpg
Coming@2-09.jpg
Coming@2-15.jpg
Coming@2-12.jpg

Last edited:
I've had a fair few more designs done for a while now, but finding the time to upload has been difficult in recent weeks. But I'm going to try to drop one here every other day or so until the reserves are all up. First up, a somewhat generic soldier. I'm still back and forth on the combination service dress coat with the camo fatigue pants, but otherwise pretty satisfied with her--particularly given the limitations on this variety of attire. But even having created the design, I can't entirely tell if she is meant to more a straight-laced patriot and protector, and dutiful paragon of service, or else the unflinching and dangerous lieutenant of some Bond-villain-esque despot. Regardless, she seems tough as nails, and I like how it turned out in that regard.

Majeure Conflit

0-TheRightHand12.jpg

TheRightHand02.jpg
TheRightHand01.jpg
TheRightHand04.jpg
TheRightHand03.jpg
TheRightHand05.jpg
TheRightHand06.jpg
TheRightHand08.jpg
TheRightHand11.jpg
TheRightHand09.jpg
TheRightHand13.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the few designs I had previously shared here at 8WR that I never bothered to compile into this thread. Groh is probably bar none my least favorite character in the franchise from an aesthetic and basic mechanical perspective, and this customization doesn't have a particularly polished or inspired costumization, but it is my only Groh design and I do think that the concept of a kind of slightly animefied daimyo look for Groh actually works surprisingly well, so here he is to round things out. Besides, putting Groh here at the end may force me to go back to the editor and pump out a few newer and more innovative designs so that the SCVI section of this thread doesn't end on the note of such a lame character. ;)

Grøh: Grohu

Grohu00.jpg

Grohu03.jpg
Grohu02.jpg
Grohu05.jpg
Grohu01.jpg

Last edited:
Back