There's a serious problem with 3d artists in this game..

I don't really think it takes time off their hands, once they have to do them, to do them right.

The drawings are not "concepts" of the characters.

A concept is a sketch, not finished work, drawn by an artist in order to develop the design of the character. This is different from the official 2d art which, as much as the 3d render, is intended as a promotional vehicle and as a statement of how the character actually - definitely - officially looks. That's why there should be no conflict between the two.
Oh, I'm sorry that I'm no art expert. If I am honest, I think art sucks.

As long as the artwork is done anime/manga style and the in game style is more realistic, this will happen.

This!

And why all the complains now? if I recall correctly SC4 had even worst 3D renders, they actually didn't look one bit like their art...

Reactions: CFW
The only reason this wasn't an issue in the past is because they didn't have the capability to create anything in the 3D engine besides cartoony faces. As their capability grows, so too will the gulf between concept art and finished models. Personally, I have no issue with the art and 3D renders looking different. If they were to try to marry the two, either get more realistically rendered art or make the engine in a stylized manner like Naruto where it looks like we're playing an anime. But no half measures of keeping a realistic engine and plastering anime/manga faces on them, please. I don't want those (pre-5)DOA style doll faces in my Soul Calibur.

I don't want those (pre-5)DOA style doll faces in my Soul Calibur.

god no that would be terrible.

The problem with the doll faces is they look so low quality (like the anime bonus characters) and they make me wonder why people always say DoA had great graphics when the faces looked out of date.

When i say that we have to wait before judge

First Pyrrah
images

After less than a month
med_33952sc5_pub_ss_pyrrha1_001.jpg

yeah, even the opening intro with Pat looks 100 times better than the first time we saw him. there's alot more animations in his face now. i really can't wait to see the final product. it's amazing getting to watch this game go through the development stages. not only that, but actually have influence on it.

They have done a lot of work, but the stuff I'm focusing on is non-face elements. They left Natsu's pink sparkle nails out, she's got less hair.. It's stuff like that that would make the characters look much better.. :x

They have done a lot of work, but the stuff I'm focusing on is non-face elements. They left Natsu's pink sparkle nails out, she's got less hair.. It's stuff like that that would make the characters look much better.. :x

You want more bubblegum hyper ninja? .___.

Well, I saw the nails and i really liked 'em.. I hate the hair difference..

So to phrase it your way.. Yes, I want lots more bubblegum hyperninja.

All I have to say here is if you think that the 3D models do not stack up to the 2D CONCEPT (because that's what it is - anything that isn't a 3D model is a concept when it comes to 3D video games) then become a 3D modeler yourself and do it yourself.

I tried a bit of modeling myself for a project in my lab. I'm a CS guy, so I was new... and here's my impression.

"Fuck that shit."

I think the worst transitions 2D to 3D model in this installment have to be
Siegfried
ZWEI
Viola
in that order. Siegfried looks good in the official artwork, his 3D model looks like he'd been taking estrogens for the last 17 years. His face has not enough bone visible, a warrior like him, weighing very little when you take into account the fact that he's wearing heavy armor and wielding that huge sword, shouldn't have a gram of fat on his face.
ZWEI is no comment... No, wait. I have to. DEM LIPS. Why would you paste a narrow, female lipped mouth on a "badass" character like him? This is beyond my understanding.
And Viola looks like a cross between Tira and Natsu's faces. And this is really bad, because in the artwork she looks mature and almost aristocratic, and has a nice stern expression on her face, while the model is just... bland.

All I have to say here is if you think that the 3D models do not stack up to the 2D CONCEPT (because that's what it is - anything that isn't a 3D model is a concept when it comes to 3D video games) then become a 3D modeler yourself and do it yourself.

I tried a bit of modeling myself for a project in my lab. I'm a CS guy, so I was new... and here's my impression.

"Fuck that shit."
I’ve done some 3D modeling and I have great respect for the artists in this field, including the SC artists. I think in general they do a superb job rendering the art into models. But I also know that in the case of ZVEI it’s not a simple matter of “oh 3d modeling is so difficult” – they clearly chose to make his nose wider and lips full. Improving his model would be a simple matter of tweaking those two very obvious features, not some nigh-impossible subtle reshaping that only the Greatest Modeler Ever could accomplish.

Siegfried I agree simply needs a slightly more defined and angular jawline, but that correction would require some more judicious and subtle re-shaping to get right. Ironically I think it is more likely that Siegfried’s face will improve than ZVEI’s, simply because I doubt the designers will drastically alter ZVEI’s features at this point (and IMHO he needs some serious surgery to fix – serious, albeit easy).

Viola I have zero problem with. She looks more or less how I expected from the art and how I would want her to look from what little I understand of her character.

As a 2D artist I always admire the official artwork of the characters. I think it must be very difficult to do 3D rendering at this level of detail. There are a lot of artists working with 2D tools capable of inspired and beautiful work. Fewer artists have the technical skills to create 3D renders at this level and there is always a compromise that seems to happen in the process of their cooperation. I always prefer the artwork. No compromises.

It's really difficult to translate some things correctly from 2d to the 3d model. I've done it before. That may not be saying much, since I'm an amateur (at best), but it's not like they look completely different. Concept art are concepts.

Back