Things you DON'T wanna see in SC6

Soft rebooting the weapons would be good. As I said, I do not hate the successors per se, but just because they are new skins of veterans. However, there still would be the problem with "characters deemed too old": I'd rather have Leixia being Xianghua's third cousin's brother's wife's step-niece's great aunt (twice removed) than sacrificing her mother (though I've never been a fan of Xianghua).
They'd be more interesting if they were unrelated warriors of alternate origins. There were probably other types of Chinese/Japanese warriors in history from other regions so they can just add new characters representing other areas and sub-cultures. I don't like the idea of successors in general.

In regards to the story and gameplay discussion thing, it should be gameplay > story always.

no one is gunna wanna play a damn FIGHTING game if its gameplay is shit. I dont care how good the story is.

If you really want good stories buy games that focus that like rpgs, telltales, ect.
Gameplay is above anything. But gameplay is the obvious thing to have. People act as if gameplay was a feature, like "Hey, the gameplay is good". Oh really? Its almost like its not supposed to be, BUT IT IS. Gameplay is supposed to be good, having a game with bad gameplay its like having a "food" that its not edible, it doesn't make any sense, because thats the only thing that cannot change. Story, on the other hand, is an actual feature, alternate modes are actual features. Good gameplay is not a feature, its a MUST. Also, if you think Story isn't important, tell me, why do we even have characters with personalities and stories? Why are people complaining so much about replacement characters? Why do we have cool unique characters instead of just things like this?
human-body-depositphotos_14152006-Male-body-shapes---human-body-outline---posterior-and-anterior-view---full-body.jpg

If we don't need characters with stories, we don't need them for anything but gameplay, and we don't need them to have appearences either. Just give us like, 10 of these hominid things, one of each color and moveset, and we're done.

They'd be more interesting if they were unrelated warriors of alternate origins. There were probably other types of Chinese/Japanese warriors in history from other regions so they can just add new characters representing other areas and sub-cultures. I don't like the idea of successors in general.
But the sucessors in SCV have good potential stories, they just went... well, nowhere, because it didn't happen. Also, I'm pretty sure they intend to re-do the SFV storyline.

Why are people complaining so much about replacement characters?
well because some people are casuals ? And only play the game till they finished the story and then fulltime CAS. I´d rather have 3 more characters with unique fighting styles and no personality than a fleshed out story mode.

Gameplay is above anything. But gameplay is the obvious thing to have. People act as if gameplay was a feature, like "Hey, the gameplay is good". Oh really? Its almost like its not supposed to be, BUT IT IS. Gameplay is supposed to be good, having a game with bad gameplay its like having a "food" that its not edible, it doesn't make any sense, because thats the only thing that cannot change. Story, on the other hand, is an actual feature, alternate modes are actual features. Good gameplay is not a feature, its a MUST. Also, if you think Story isn't important, tell me, why do we even have characters with personalities and stories? Why are people complaining so much about replacement characters? Why do we have cool unique characters instead of just things like this?
human-body-depositphotos_14152006-Male-body-shapes---human-body-outline---posterior-and-anterior-view---full-body.jpg

If we don't need characters with stories, we don't need them for anything but gameplay, and we don't need them to have appearences either. Just give us like, 10 of these hominid things, one of each color and moveset, and we're done.

But the sucessors in SCV have good potential stories, they just went... well, nowhere, because it didn't happen. Also, I'm pretty sure they intend to re-do the SFV storyline.

My point is at the end of the day how much impact does the story add besides be fluff for the game?

well because some people are casuals ? And only play the game till they finished the story and then fulltime CAS. I´d rather have 3 more characters with unique fighting styles and no personality than a fleshed out story mode.
Too bad for you, because thats how games work. Games are made primarily for the fun of the consumer, not just for professionals. As such, it must be as entertaining as possible.

My point is at the end of the day how much impact does the story add besides be fluff for the game?
It increases fanbase, adds originality and gives money/fame to the developers.

That's SCV: 3 mimics and no story xD

Thats maybe how other games work yea. But you dont buy fighting games for the story. Yes i played alot of single player content in sc but i dont remembers shit about the story. You play that stuff to unlock characters and weapons and what not and then hop into versus mode and play against your friends offline or in the case of scV online. Not saying that character backstorys dont make them more appealing but i dont need a full story mode for that just write that shit down and copy paste it in the game.

The thing with the Soul series is that the story, while quite short, is usually well written. Everything supposedly goes well together. However, SCV was half finished (and that's overestimating), with gigantic plotholes, and lackluster characters and fighting styles. We didn't get the minimum "required" (for a Soul game) storyline, plus we got bad gameplay. SCV was a failure in many points, so indeed in fighting games the gameplay is usually more important than the story, but here we didn't get any.

Also, I agree with Macaulyn: video games are made for entertainment, not for the "professional" scene. I like my fighting games with some story, else I'd play MUGEN or rip some characters and put them in Unity.

well yea sc5 was half finished we can all agree on that but the gameplay was amazing compared to its predecessors. It was still a great game even without story and all that. Sc4,Legends,LS thats what you call a failure.

Many moves remained useless AND badly implemented. Variations in playstyle is more difficult to achieve... Though I assume my opinion is due to me not being more than a casual, seeing some "stars" of the game playing the same combos over and over again makes me want to have useless moves rather than a repetitive playstyle. If I want a simplified fighting game, I'd take "Evil Zone".

there are still more than enough moves in the game there is no need to have fckin A+K inputs for everyone and 50 stances that dont do shit. And even if there were only 6 moves for each character playstyles can be very different btw.

There were better things than in SCIV that's for sure, but I consider bad gameplay a game that makes me fail many moves because of coding errors. SCV is in the "one step forward, one step backward" idea: some things are improved, others declined.

Gameplay is above anything. But gameplay is the obvious thing to have. People act as if gameplay was a feature, like "Hey, the gameplay is good". Oh really? Its almost like its not supposed to be, BUT IT IS. Gameplay is supposed to be good, having a game with bad gameplay its like having a "food" that its not edible, it doesn't make any sense, because thats the only thing that cannot change. Story, on the other hand, is an actual feature, alternate modes are actual features. Good gameplay is not a feature, its a MUST.
It is a must and it is also subjective. Gameplay changes with each installment and balance patch. That's why people keep bringing it up. I already saw some dude in this thread complain about Viola. There is no one-size-fits-all to gameplay like you are making it seem to be.

Back