Viola : Current Issues, and what needs to be fixed.

Is Viola Overpowered? Be Honest...

• Total voters
Just curious...how many Viola's are in the top 25 ranked players? I'll think she's overpowered when it appears tourney players start selecting her more when they get further in brackets. The higher the stakes, the more likely a character would be selected out of probable victory. If that is indeed happening, then yes - she's overpowered. But still, utilizing that power may be difficult enough to make a nerf pointless. I'd like to let things settle a bit and watch how characters get utilized as they're better understood before I speculate too much.

Just curious...how many Viola's are in the top 25 ranked players? I'll think she's overpowered when it appears tourney players start selecting her more when they get further in brackets. The higher the stakes, the more likely a character would be selected out of probable victory. If that is indeed happening, then yes - she's overpowered. But still, utilizing that power may be difficult enough to make a nerf pointless. I'd like to let things settle a bit and watch how characters get utilized as they're better understood before I speculate too much.

This isn't exactly the best way to figure out the effectiveness of a character for two reasons: 1.) That bracket will get more accurate over time as to who's dominating the scene (it hasn't had much yet). 2.) Top players will always be top players, regardless of who they're playing. TBH, there's not many people maining cerv/alpha in the top 25. I think Viola outnumbers the alpha/cerv players, too. Does this mean she has better tools? Not really.

Well there is this one glitch that annoys the hell out of me:
When you go into W/o orb stance and set up a 6B+K and try and throw to mix up, it cancels it automatically... WTF?!

Nah i mean Set A+B BE. That is the correct input for this BE no? Where at the end she calls the ball back to her by sliding it on the floor and says "I'm tired of this".

Are you sure these 3B 6A+B combos arent techable? Cause everytime i tested those out it never combos. They always ukemi out of it.
A+B(BE) is the correct input, we mean the same move. A+B not B+K where the orb floats to Viola, Yue :)
6A+B 2B+K(BE) combos for sure, its a matter of holding 6A+B for correct amount of time and hitting them in right moment in the air. I wrote it somewhere in the combo thread i think.
Oh right I never use A+B BE lmao.

Oh right I never use A+B BE lmao.
probably nobody ever uses it as it is now - one of the worst BEs in the game.

IMO it would be just better to bring 2B+K BE to what it was in 1.01, where it did 10 damage instead of 20 and slightly nerf the damage of 6A+B on an airborne opponent.
I also agree with bringing back 2B+K(BE) that deals 10 dmg, but i definitely want 6A+B on airborne to go. Not only because of the damage but because of the length of Viola's combos - they are long enough without it.
And of course bug fixes are a must.

She's not too overpowered. Here are some chances that I think would be good:

* Fix that goddamn 44A BE glitch - wasting meter FTL
* Lower damage on B+K BE to 25 or 30 - less than it is currently, but higher than pre-patch.
* Revert 2B+K BE to original damage.
* Revert 66B to pre-patch status i.e. only KNDs on CH. As it stands, you can get a 90+ damage combo off it for only 1/2 a bar of meter.

And that... should be sufficient.

probably nobody ever uses it as it is now - one of the worst BEs in the game.

Try JS Tira's 66B BE for size.

What about ghost orb? I'm torn. It's confusing to the opponent. But dangerous if they catch on before you're done ghosting. (Ghost orb = 6AB, B+K, immediate 4A+B. The orb does two full rotations but is transparent and passes through the opponent.)
Plus, I still don't see what's wrong with a character that's supposedly difficult to use having high damage potential.

Try JS Tira's 66B BE for size.
as far as i know, you can at least use it in combos

What about ghost orb? I'm torn. It's confusing to the opponent. But dangerous if they catch on before you're done ghosting. (Ghost orb = 6AB, B+K, immediate 4A+B. The orb does two full rotations but is transparent and passes through the opponent.)
Plus, I still don't see what's wrong with a character that's supposedly difficult to use having high damage potential.
ghost orb is a bad glitch. Why would you prefer to confuse opponent instead of having a move that is +16 on block as well as on hit, or even +18 (combos into 3B) with correct angle?

Well nothing follows up with it except 2K. (whenever i do it im like *Reaction = Profile Pic*)
FC B (or 2B) is the most damaging followup. FC A (or 2A) connects as well. That doesn't make A+B(BE) any less miserable though :P

* Revert 66B to pre-patch status i.e. only KNDs on CH. As it stands, you can get a 90+ damage combo off it for only 1/2 a bar of meter.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! The timing is strict anyway. At best do some slight damage scaling but DON'T revert it back to pre-patch status, this is probably the best and most helpful (while not being ridiculous) change she has got.

^ IKR. B+K BE would be over powered if was easier to land. I think her power is a nice compliment to her difficulty but...I guess I'm alone. But mark my words, if this is the last patch and she gets nerfed - as people figure out her match-up she will be poop and everyone will be crying for a buff again.

This isn't exactly the best way to figure out the effectiveness of a character for two reasons: 1.) That bracket will get more accurate over time as to who's dominating the scene (it hasn't had much yet). 2.) Top players will always be top players, regardless of who they're playing. TBH, there's not many people maining cerv/alpha in the top 25. I think Viola outnumbers the alpha/cerv players, too. Does this mean she has better tools? Not really.
Sorry. I just figured with money and glory on the line people would try to use what ever advantage they could. So in my mind, if one character had more power etc... over others people would utilize that character regardless of preference because well...greed would take precedence.

^ IKR. B+K BE would be over powered if was easier to land. I think her power is a nice compliment to her difficulty but...I guess I'm alone. But mark my words, if this is the last patch and she gets nerfed - as people figure out her match-up she will be poop and everyone will be crying for a buff again.
You can get a B+K BE after you hit them with SET 4A+B, in case anyone didn't know. :P I'm pretty sure it combos. I might be wrong, though.

You can get a B+K BE after you hit them with SET 4A+B, in case anyone didn't know. :P I'm pretty sure it combos. I might be wrong, though.
Yeah, also on the second hit of ORB 6B+K, on the hit of SET B+K, or SET 2B+K. 44A BE also combos with SET 6B+K. But the timing's tight and for some reason I end up hitting 4B+K instead of 44ABE. But when you get it off you can use SET 6B+K to hit confirm before 44A BE. SET 6B+K also works for me as a good set-up for 6AB B+K BE.

idk, in my personal opinion, viola is perfect the way she is(minus all the orb glitchs) i dont think shes OP, all those things are simply gimmicks.... shennanigans.... ya Shes broken when you play against scrubs, i say her damage output is fine, i mean her LNC juggles and b+k* junk is pretty on the high side, but.... violas normals are subpar when compared to the damage most characters get on their normals..... as well, most of her combo starters are unsafe( unless u counter hit...duh) , most competent ppl can punish on reaction.

so idk, i don't really play viola like most ppl do, so i guess i wouldn't know much about her combo damage..... don't really go for combos( even though my title says going for combos lol)

but seriously, i think instead of looking at violas combo potentials....which is what her charecter design is based around... i think we should look closer at her normals

The main thing I find unbalanced about Viola is her ability to just liberally apply pressure with the balance skewed in her favour in terms of risk/reward. Having the ability to attack and defend simultaneously essentially with orb pressure is a bit out of line IMO. The ability is go into block stun induced mixups so freely is unnecessary given the damage she scores when you guess wrong and the relative safety of said tactics. Also her CE giving you a free win in low damage situations is unneccessary. Make the stun shorter and the vortex stronger to give the mixup or damage on hit but not the free UB. My 2 pennies.

The main thing I find unbalanced about Viola is her ability to just liberally apply pressure with the balance skewed in her favour in terms of risk/reward. Having the ability to attack and defend simultaneously essentially with orb pressure is a bit out of line IMO. The ability is go into block stun induced mixups so freely is unnecessary given the damage she scores when you guess wrong and the relative safety of said tactics. Also her CE giving you a free win in low damage situations is unneccessary. Make the stun shorter and the vortex stronger to give the mixup or damage on hit but not the free UB. My 2 pennies.
Makes me wonder why the voting polls are so close...haha

Back