Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Hi :)

New to the forum but did watch the stream and chat, which btw I have to ask what has happened to the stream? Anyway, just saying hello and asking as a pretty bad Viola player what's most important to get down. Spacing to keep people out and whiff punish or getting to grips with knowing what's unsafe, and more to the point what the best punish is for an unsafe attack?

Anyway I'm really bad with her but I do love her style and felt like it was time to actually put some proper effort in to researching her, so I'm asking this as a starting point and also what the best thread for a pretty bad Viola player (SC5 is my first SC game lol)

Viola's attacks are stronger VO. And several moves get added hits. 66A+BB for example. Anyway, the character is complicated because she has a rather large arsenal. It's good to know all your options whether in VS or VO. Get to know her and keep trying new things. Learn at your own pace and enjoy.

The thing that's fun about Viola is that so many of her moves can loop into other moves. You can literally walk across the screen doing that with sends and recalls. Like VO 6B+K 22KB 6AB 22AB 6A+B etc...you can string it all together to make the orb go back and forth so frequently your opponent can lose track. Especially when you start to mix in recalls and canceling one recall into another recall before the orb reaches you like 2B+K to B+K, or 6B+K to 2A+B.

What the best fast Viola's low poke? 2K? What about 1K or something else?
:2::K: is i15, which is as quick as I think it gets for her lows. :1::K: is i18, which isn't too much worse. Of course, FC :K: is i14.

Other than that, :6::A::A:'s second hit is Low, and the initial hit is i17. Not exactly what you're asking for, but still in the running for quick low, maybe =/

If only :2::A: was a real low...

thank you for using the little icons, Slidikins. Normally I look over the threads and they mention the 6B VO and all of that and I just scratch my head in confusion.

Also, You can cancel recalls? What sort've purpose does that serve?

No problem. I don't normally use the icons but it is far less confusing when glancing over information.

As for cancelling recalls, take this example. You're fighting Nightmare/Xiba/Dampierre and you've been pressuring him with sets and recalls all match. It's round 3 and he (let's use Nighty) has been sitting on some bar looking for an opportunity to wallop you. You pressure him with a Set BBB and just as you recall it-- auto Guard Impact Critical Edge.

Recalls are pretty linear and straight forward and easy to guard impact if you can read Viola's tells. To avoid eating a CE (especially one that's like 110 damage like Xiba's), cancelling a recall into another one can throw off their timing and add another layer to the mind games.

Normally I look over the threads and they mention the 6B VO and all of that and I just scratch my head in confusion.
This might help you understand :
http://8wayrun.com/threads/basic-notations-and-terminology.58/
Plus, the adopted notation for Viola with orb is "ORB". For without orb is "SET".

Basically, if a person reacts to one type of recall you can cancel it into another. It adds to confusion especially if you keep the orb in motion. Slidkins is right, they are all pretty linear. But if you side step during a B+K or 2B+K the orb will track you. I like to mix in 4A+B before a recall reaches me to cut down on people who sidestep and charge after a recall.

No problem. I don't normally use the icons but it is far less confusing when glancing over information.

As for cancelling recalls, take this example. You're fighting Nightmare/Xiba/Dampierre and you've been pressuring him with sets and recalls all match. It's round 3 and he (let's use Nighty) has been sitting on some bar looking for an opportunity to wallop you. You pressure him with a Set BBB and just as you recall it-- auto Guard Impact Critical Edge.

Recalls are pretty linear and straight forward and easy to guard impact if you can read Viola's tells. To avoid eating a CE (especially one that's like 110 damage like Xiba's), cancelling a recall into another one can throw off their timing and add another layer to the mind games.

That would still get CE'd. Any range you can do BBB at, the third B will hit before you can cancel it.

The real use of cancels is to do things like BBB on hit or CH into a 6B+K then further pressure. It also works to cause the ball to retrack at range, and there's several orb attacks that can be cancelled as well just to keep pressure on.

Yeah, when people catch on to those combos they can duck or sidestep the recall. Cool thing is as soon as they duck you you can cancel the recall into 6A+B before the orb reaches you. You can also not hit the last B and they may duck expecting the recall which will leave them open for a 3B launch. As far as side-steppers go you can cancel the recall into 4A+B but you have to be wary of distances for that attack. Too close and the opponent is safe and the orb will just rotate around the two of you harmlessly. 22AB would work up close if you just skip the last B in the AAB/BBB combos. It also recalls the orb after a horizontal attack that stuns them enough that they can't dodge the recall. Works for me against most players.

Ah thanks, this helps!

If only :2::A: was a real low...

That would be absolutely amazing. I REALLY don't see why 2A had to be a special-low >_> The one thing I dislike about Viola is her lack of good lows. None of them give an advantage on hit...

Ah thanks, this helps!

That would be absolutely amazing. I REALLY don't see why 2A had to be a special-low >_> The one thing I dislike about Viola is her lack of good lows. None of them give an advantage on hit...

Lows shouldn't give advantage on hit. And to be honest, I don't know any lows that do give advantage on hit in SC5. They're all negative or KND (which leads to oki or combo). Same with Viola.

Also 2A should not be a low. Ever. An i13 that leaves you at +8 on hit as a LOW? No thank you. Candidate for most broken character in SC hands down if that ever happened.

You guys just need to get more into the SC system and understand how it works. Lows are meant for poke more than they are for anything else. Poking and footsies are everything in SC.

And 6B+K 1K is our advantage low...
The more I work and play with Viola, the more I see how good she is...

Yep, I said really early after I first started messing with 6B+K that it was her best move hands down. So many ways to apply it, and they're all really good.

To be honest, I think it's easily top 10 moves in the game.

To be honest, I think it's easily top 10 moves in the game.
The 2A was just wishful thinking; I know that would be terribly broken if it were a real low, just as recalls being real lows would just be god tier.

But I do love 6B+K. It's just awesome. Makes moves safer, opens up new combos, threatens your opponent... I'm starting to throw it out haphazardly just because I always get a return on it...

Lows shouldn't give advantage on hit. And to be honest, I don't know any lows that do give advantage on hit in SC5. They're all negative or KND (which leads to oki or combo). Same with Viola.

Also 2A should not be a low. Ever. An i13 that leaves you at +8 on hit as a LOW? No thank you. Candidate for most broken character in SC hands down if that ever happened.

You guys just need to get more into the SC system and understand how it works. Lows are meant for poke more than they are for anything else. Poking and footsies are everything in SC.

Ah I see. Yeah Im not too familiar with SC mechanics, I have only played Soul Edge, SC4 and SC5 now (SC2 only with friends). I'm kinda lost on the subject of frame data as well since I had only been interested in Seung Mina whose frame data sucked so bad, I assumed that everybody else must have had it better. But then again, Mina had some nice lows that granted her advantages, guess I miss that :) Thanks for the info!

Yeah I like using that and 44k. Regarding the latter, I rarely see anyone use this move but I'm quite fond of the move.

Yeah I like using that and 44k. Regarding the latter, I rarely see anyone use this move but I'm quite fond of the move.
I don't use it often due to the startup (I swear, playing online adds 10 frames to anything on my end -_-) but that STC is amazing. And it's just cool sliding on your knees like a rocker.

to be honest, i have never evaded a horizontal mid with 44K. I doubt if it is really a STC and not just a TC. I even went into practice mode and tried evading Pyrrha's 11A[A] second hit with it and couldn't do it while with 1B (which actually is an amazing STC) it is quite doable.

New to the forum and new to SC, starting with Viola.

1. Whats the best use of her CE?

2. I notice with her blocked CE, some people do 1K, then 3b. What makes this effective? Is it because the CE hits mid, so a low kick will cause a guaranteed hit, and then you get a guaranteed launch? Is there a way to get out of this at high level play?

3. Her 44A BE on hit .. is there a specific window to get a launch off of this? I cant seem to get the timing down and the launch gets slammed right back down by the last hit of that string

Back