Viola General Discussion / Q&A

'Buffer' means to start inputting the move before the previous one has ended. A tech trap is where if the opponent is on the ground and they ukemi in a certain direction, you hit them. :1::A+B:, :6::6::A+B::B: hits grounded and all ukemi directions except left.
So that means i do 66A+BB right after i do 1AB?

So that means i do 66A+BB right after i do 1AB?

Do it before :1::A+B: has ended, but not as soon as the move comes out. I'd say start doing :6::6::A+B::B: right after the actual attack comes out, while Viola is still in recovery frames.

I don't really like much :1::A+B: related shenanigans, though. The move is blockable on reaction and extremely unsafe.

This must have been asked before, but what practical combos are good for starting off with?

From the combo thread:
Set 3B; AAB; 6A+B (slight charge); 2B+K(BE); AAB; 66B; 66A+BB.
Cannot seem to get the AAB to connect. Any tips? Is this still a combo?

Edit: can't even get the delay right half the time.
Is there any easier alternative? xD
Combos aren't a priority for me at the moment. Figuring out her main game plan is more important, but it would be nice to get some free damage when possible.

Er... just do the AAB straight away. There's not much else to it. The appropriate charge time for 6A+B is harder to get down, mind - if you do it too early they can tech out, and if you do it too late, then it simply won't hit and you drop the combo.

If you end up having too much trouble with the charge time, replace 6A+B with 2A+B - less damage, but much easier.

Thanks!
I'll just use 2A+B for now.
I'm not that interested in full out combos.

edit: I was talking about the second AAB that I couldn't get to connect, and I still can't get it to connect even using 2A+B instead of 6A+B.

edit: 3B; AAB; 2A+B; 2B+K(BE); then what?
66B? 66B; 66A+B doesn't seem to work, though I'm not going to pretend my execution is good.

Thanks!

edit: I was talking about the second AAB that I couldn't get to connect, and I still can't get it to connect even using 2A+B instead of 6A+B.
You'll have to build up to it. There's no reason to not use full damage potential if possible. My guess is you're having trouble with the slight dash you need to do before the second AAB. Don't worry. I felt like I had a lot of combo's down solid then all of the sudden I've been dropping them. It comes and goes...then, hopefully at some point just becomes second nature.

Oh, I can't be bothered with learning :2::B+K: BE combos either. Not yet, anyway! I really think once you have her still-extremely-damaging basic combos down, there are more pressing matters demanding your attention as a Viola player. Also, I feel as though her metre is usually better spent on other things, even if you can do the extended combos flawlessly.

Thanks!

edit: 3B; AAB; 2A+B; 2B+K(BE); then what?
66B? 66B; 66A+B doesn't seem to work, though I'm not going to pretend my execution is good.

Oh right, the second AAB - that makes more sense to have trouble with than the first AAB...

In that case, what you have to do is after 2B+K BE, dash forward just slightly, then do AAB. If you dashed forward just right, it should work. If you can't do that consistently (and it will take a bit of practice), try 2B+K BE, B+K, 66B. Again, less damage, but much easier to land.

The 3B, AAB, 6A+B combo is definitely worth trying to get down though - a non-situational combo that does almost 1/2 life for just one BE is pretty awesome.

Do it before :1::A+B: has ended, but not as soon as the move comes out. I'd say start doing :6::6::A+B::B: right after the actual attack comes out, while Viola is still in recovery frames.

I don't really like much :1::A+B: related shenanigans, though. The move is blockable on reaction and extremely unsafe.
Actually i was wondering i cant seem too do it because it turns out to be 6+AB instead :[

That happens to me when I'm playing on pad occasionally. Some of my 236Bs on other chars come out as 6Bs too.
I think it's if the first 6 is input too early.
Try doing the 66 faster, and holding the second 6 ( like 6[6~A+B])?

That happens to me when I'm playing on pad occasionally. Some of my 236Bs on other chars come out as 6Bs too.
I think it's if the first 6 is input too early.
Try doing the 66 faster, and holding the second 6 ( like 6[6~A+B])?
thanks

the combo 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE 6B+K 66A is difficult to do for me. is it harder on a controller?
Note that it is character specific, I think. It hits on large characters only. You can simply use B instead of 66A. It works for all and deals almost, if not the same, damage and it is a lot easier. Some say it can be air controlled to the left though; I haven't tested it.

Back