Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Hi, new to the forums and playing as more than casually in fighting games, and I have decided to up my game as wel las use viola for my main. I had some questions and I figured this would be the best place for them, if this is in the wrong place I greatly apologize. Anyway here we go....

1) What is the best way to start learning Voila, would it be getting the top 10 moves down perfectly then going into combos then learning when to use them or would it be better to start learning the combos move by move and then when to use them?

2) From watching vids of Viola matches it seems she is a heavily offensive rushdown (as close as it gets in SC at least) type of character, is this character?

3) What is her best move(s) for punishing

4) What is the best move to set the orb, do most people just use one way to set it, is it best to just use b+k to set before a combo or is it better to use a combo to set it then another combo to use it, and I mean generally as I know there isn't an answer as is only one is best for all situations

Thanks in advance for any answers!

1) I'm not sure of the best way to learn her, as she plays differently than the other characters and has different answers (or, most of the time, no answer at all) to what your opponent's character can do. I think that learning the ends and outs of the character and when you should be doing what is essential to playing her well.

2) I don't think she's that type of character, though she can be, depending on how your opponent plays.

3). Her punishment is pretty ass. bb(b) is her best punishment in most cases.

4). I think you generally should play by ear how to set the orb. Honestly, since most people are expecting you to set the orb, they try to wait and fish for CHs. I'm going to try experimenting with playing Viola mostly with the orb to just to change things up.

I have a question. Does the speed of an attack change between ORB and SET? I know the reach and damage does, that comes in handy.

I have a question. Does the speed of an attack change between ORB and SET? I know the reach and damage does, that comes in handy.

Are we talking about impact frames (start-up), lag (ending) or safety on block?

Her safety on block is different between Orb and Set. Sometimes orb attacks are safer, but I think that most of the set attacks are safer than orb.

Her impact frames are the same for Orb and Set with the exception of three moves:
2A+B ORB i15 vs SET i19
6A+B ORB i29 vs SET i25 (latter can be charged of course)
22A+B ORB i27 vs SET i36 (yuck.)

I don't know if she freezes longer and if whiffing is more dangerous with one than another. I'm guessing only those three aforementioned moves have changing lag frames.

Are we talking about impact frames (start-up), lag (ending) or safety on block?

Her safety on block is different between Orb and Set. Sometimes orb attacks are safer, but I think that most of the set attacks are safer than orb.

Her impact frames are the same for Orb and Set with the exception of three moves:
2A+B ORB i15 vs SET i19
6A+B ORB i29 vs SET i25 (latter can be charged of course)
22A+B ORB i27 vs SET i36 (yuck.)

I don't know if she freezes longer and if whiffing is more dangerous with one than another. I'm guessing only those three aforementioned moves have changing lag frames.
Thanks. Just out of the blue I thought "holy shit, am I missing an entire dynamic!".

Natsu is much, much easier than Viola. I can win with her twice as much as I can with Viola despite using the former a fraction of the amount I use the latter. :P
Yup Im sure that thought is universal, Natsu I sometimes consider a braindead char, I mean 66B, 88B, A:6
she does so much easier damage and she has a good step lol

I haven't watched any of my vids but I think I'm playing too rigidly with Viola. I'm starting to think that I need to throw more w/Orb stuff into my game fo certain matchups (Read: stupid characters like Mits). It should be able to deal with a lot of spacing stuff through 3b alone. Also, I'm going t experiment with using b+k recalls to extend pressure. I'm also realizing that 2b+k setups are rather unexplored and am going to work on that.

As I said at Evo, I think the time of getting away with a lot of Viola gimmicks vs. high level players is over. This is a good thing, though; while it makes winning undoubtedly harder, it gives us more concrete answers. As someone who can play 90% of the cast competently, I think it's sad that I can answers t things with other characters much easier..still this shows how truly complex Viola is and why I fell in love with the character.

So, at least until thenext tournament, I am going to exclusively play Viola, whether it be for fun or learning. If I come up with anything new...we'll, you all will have to ask because I have thisthing where I assume people know all the stuff I do. =p

I need help with the 3B AAB 6A+B i cant do the 6A+B part. it doesnt seem to work the opponent just gets right up

You need to buffer the second move into the end of the first. Also, it's just a tech trap, not a combo - if the opponent techs left, you whiff.

I need help with the 3B AAB 6A+B i cant do the 6A+B part. it doesnt seem to work the opponent just gets right up

You have to do a slight hold on it. An easy way to get the timing down is to release it just as she hits them if you buffer it after aab.

Also, I thought the mod here was supposed to compile all of this info into the first post.

You have to do a slight hold on it. An easy way to get the timing down is to release it just as she hits them if you buffer it after aab.

Also, I thought the mod here was supposed to compile all of this info into the first post.
So i have to hold the 6AB and release when she hits with her orb?

'Buffer' means to start inputting the move before the previous one has ended. A tech trap is where if the opponent is on the ground and they ukemi in a certain direction, you hit them. :1::A+B:, :6::6::A+B::B: hits grounded and all ukemi directions except left.

'Buffer' means to start inputting the move before the previous one has ended. A tech trap is where if the opponent is on the ground and they ukemi in a certain direction, you hit them. :1::A+B:, :6::6::A+B::B: hits grounded and all ukemi directions except left.
Thanks so much ;o

Back