Viola Video Discussion

Haha true, and thank you. I been kinda grinding hard on improving myself.

Sometimes you cant tell if you're getting better or not, unless people compliment you or tell you. (For me anyway)
Unless you're watching replays of yourself.

Took me 3 years to realize that Viola can punish Natsu's 66BBE and Nightmare's 4KK by crouching 2nd hit and then stand up and do 6A+B for massive damage. I didn't know I actually have enough time to do all that.

Are there Viola's string punish videos somewhere? Viola has so few ways to punish anything so I want to make sure I am not missing out free damage.

Last edited:
Took me 3 years to realize that Viola can punish Natsu's 66BBE and Nightmare's 4KK by crouching 2nd hit and then stand up and do 6A+B for massive damage. I didn't know I actually have enough time to do all that.
Since meter is required to get big damage off of 6A+B, it's probably better to just 44A BE. The 2G ~ 44 input is a bit less lenient but having 44A primed for quickdraw is half the character, anyway.

As for a string defense guide, there's this thread, but it's incomplete. Most of the string defense guides are, partly because they're a lot of work and partly because string defense tends to be mostly independent of the defending character's idiosyncrasies.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the smartest approach would have been to make a general, character-independent string defense guide that with information about where strings jail, what directions to step, how negative the attacker is after having the string ducked/stepped/JGed, etc., and then each player could fill in the blanks using the available frame data and whatnot. Which is really the main problem with this type of guide (I've made this error in my Aeon punishment guide, so I'm guilty as well) is the duplication of information that's readily available in the frame data. The exceptional stuff not gleanable from the wiki is what ought to be documented; if a high string jails on block, or if a vertical string can only be stepped to one side, if a move pushes back too far to punish, that sort of thing.

If I remember to do so, I'll write up a separate post outlining in more detail how we (i.e. SA contributors) ought to approach the documentation for SCVI. If we can achieve a similar leap in the quality of information from SCV to SCVI that we saw from SCIV to SCV, we'll probably have the best documentation of any fighting game community (although Smash autists cheat by datamining their games).

oh shit, I meant to post it in general discussion, but somehow I posted it in video discussion instead. Is there really enough time to stand up and do 44A? Every time I tried it, they are always able to block it.

6A+B and 3B are both 18 frames, and I have time to stand up and do it, but it's somewhat difficult for 3B to come up. I always ended up getting 33B instead of 3B even though I only pressed 3 once. 8A+B at 19 also works and is super input friendly.

Last edited:
oh shit, I meant to post it in general discussion, but somehow I posted it in video discussion instead. Is there really enough time to stand up and do 44A? Every time I tried it, they are always able to block it.

6A+B and 3B are both 18 frames, and I have time to stand up and do it, but it's somewhat difficult for 3B to come up. I always ended up getting 33B instead of 3B even though I only pressed 3 once. 8A+B at 19 also works and is super input friendly.
Judging by the JG frames, 4KK and 66B BE are -30~-35 when ducked. It's probably easiest to imagine the duck-and-punish as a single unit of action in order to eliminate the hesitation that could botch the punish.
3B would be harder after ducking than 44A since the RCC adds 5 frames to its startup. If one where to JG instead of ducking, it'd be the easy option (66B BE isn't even 44A-punishable when JGed).

Why crouch? Just 3b. It ducks during the start up. It's kinda like when I used to duck Natsu's 66bbe then 4b as Raph. It adds an unnecessary step.

Why crouch? Just 3b. It ducks during the start up. It's kinda like when I used to duck Natsu's 66bbe then 4b as Raph. It adds an unnecessary step.
Does this actually work? The main benefit to manual crouching is that it's immediate and indefinite. In general, 3Bs have poor tech crouch properties; Viola's is only TC F9-16, which is slow and rather short.

Last edited:
I remember when I tried it, I always get hit out of it so I only did crouch then FC B before until I came across other options. I only remembered using Viola's 3B to duck under Viola's AAB/BBB

I'm not sure if it can actually be applied to those cases in actual fights, but it's worth trying out.

On the topic of stuff that I haven't tested yet; CH 44a 3b

Oh, and more wall game stuff:
Juggle - 6a+b ws 44a
High wallsplat / BT wallsplat - 1b / 6b+k 6b b+g. There's a lot more to this, but these possibilities should mean a lot to Viola players, including some of the earlier wall stuff I posted.

Back