Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown

SolidSonic

[09] Warrior
I guess I should start by saying this game is finally coming to console as a downloadable game next summer, as seen here:

They're promising online support for both platforms this time.

Now guys, this is the most complex, deepest 3D fighting game out there. It takes a lot of practice and dedication to make it work.

But if you have the drive, the fighting experience is very rich and rewarding.

I implore you to look inside...and take the challenge.

begs the question,

"what took you so long?"

also begs the question,

"why bother?"

hell, 5 years later you might as well just come with VF6. smells like somethings not right in the house of the hedgehog... still.. better late than never i suppose..

Hey, this is just the announcement. The game itself is about a year away (though I think it will beat TTT2 to the market, which works well for me). It is a long time coming but I wouldn't say too little too late. It's not like VF had a huge following in the first place so this is great news for people banging on Sega's door to get it to happen.

Sounds I'll be spending a lot of time in 2012 playing 3D fighting games. The only 2D fighter in 2012 seems to be SFxT (I like 2D more but the most important 2D, XIII, will be out this year). The big 3 of 3D (Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken) are all going to be releasing new installments in 2012.

yeah, i know, i read the gamespot article.

still.. 5 years? banging on sega's door for VF5? why not bang on the door for Vf6 now.. it's not that i think it's pointless, i'm happy for the VF fans who finally get to play this game, just.. feels like sega is not bothering to develop VF6 but they still want to capitalize on this fighting game revival so they just release a home version of a 3-4 year old arcade game in the summer of 2012...

also that interview felt like gamespot was talkin with a robot.

still.. i give it the golf clap.

It probably took so long because of the numerous revisions that they've made to the game, and now they're at a point where they feel like they can release the game to console, and not do something that would kill the game such as having different version of the game on console, or have the console version different from the arcade version.

Then the other reason why it took so long is probably due to them still making money from the game being in the arcades in Japan while everywhere else in the world VF is not as popular. Plus operators need to make their money back from buying the arcade board. Plus they're going to save money by making the game download only then trying to go through the effort of releasing the game at retail.

It would have been nice if it came out sooner, but you're getting a solid fighting game that's balanced and tested in the arcades. I'm excited.

And Sega better not do something dumb like announce VF6 after I buy this game.
Dude, you know they will. That's how Sega rolls with this franchise.

Well, I had some fun with VF5 Online long ago...But I also remember being extremely frustrated. (then again, most of my FL, is fighting game players of various skill levels so, heh) bah, no matter. will be getting this. Fun is to be had.

of course they will. my guess is that they're trying to raise attention for VF and to build up a solid online fanbase.

eitherway, finally a way to play VF online. the single player mode got boring SO quickly. i wonder why they still haven't implemented a some kind of storyline apart from the generic tournament type of thing.

There's some story in Virtua Fighter concerning an organization called "J5". They're the ones who kidnapped Kage's mother and turned her into Dural, have some involvement with the Bryant siblings, and sent Goh after Akira.

But it's really minimal exposition.

There's some story in Virtua Fighter concerning an organization called "J5". They're the ones who kidnapped Kage's mother and turned her into Dural, have some involvement with the Bryant siblings, and sent Goh after Akira.

But it's really minimal exposition.

Actually, it's J6. They're supposed to be the world's six largest corporations banding together for world political and economical takeover. One of those ways is by creating the ultimate super-soldier, in the form of the DURAL project, which is why they organized all those tournaments; to collect data and test their Dural puppets. And they also kidnapped Sarah and brainwashed her into a puppet for VF1 and 2, as she was the next candidate for the Dural project after Kage's mom (who was a failure, I think).

But nobody knows this, because AM2 doesn't even put character endings in their VFs....

I hate to break it to you, but if history is any indicator, there is a very good chance of this happening. It happened just after VF4E and VF5 were released for PS2 and 360, respectively, and it'll probably kill the hype for VF5FS just like it did with those games.

That said, OMFG SO FUCKING HYPE HOLY SHIT GIMME GIMME GIMEMALKSDJFLKASDFLKAJSDFLKADSF.

VF4 had one more iteration before VF5 came out (Final Tuned). That one never made it to consoles.

The gap between FT and VF5 was somewhat considerable, IIRC.

Yeah, what I meant was that Final Tuned was announced just after VF4E was released on PS2. Similar scenario with VF5R being announced just after VF5 came to 360.

Back