Voldo Combo Discussion

Yes that's an awesome back throw setup. Depending on where they are after 1B, you can even wall them for a juicy wall combo with 1K, making it a very dangerous situation for the opponent.
Although, it is character dependant.

66B BE W! is awesome.

After some more testing (I spent about 45 minutes with it), and I've come to the conclusion that against those characters you listed in the original post, you can get a back throw set up if you pick them up with 1(B) while they are face-down, head-towards. They also have to be holding Guard during the mixup. A fine example is BS WR B, 1(B).

Alas, those kind of situations are rare (and most of the time, it's not worth it).

Only the 66B BE W! one seems worth it damage and potential damage wise.
Btw, once they took the 1K W! into wall combo they will fear this situation.

Best wall combo I found after 66B BE W! > opponent duck > 1K W! is :
delay 666B B+K] MCHT K
delay 666B 66B BE 4K

Granted, the 1K W! is angle dependant.

So I made a character reference for the 1(K) BS 2(B), Back throw. The characters that it works on are left untouched. The characters that only get front thrown are covered in Black. The Black and Red color signifies that character will be side thrown. The rainbow colored portraits will get back, front, or side thrown depending on the mimic'd character. This is another interesting study as certain characters will get back thrown as one mimic, but not another. The Red Question Mark means those characters won't get thrown at all. The attempt will whiff unless the throw input is delayed a frame or two.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20140224_013835.jpg
    Snapshot_20140224_013835.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 426
Nice work !
The picture is a very good idea and way better than the boring way I list character haha.

66B BE 1B] into BT throw will get definitively work on more characters.
I will test that as soon as I get home (or you can do it, it would save me time haha).

On a side note :
Probably known but, after 1K], you can add a bit more damage (like 2dmg or something like that) with step into combo.
1K] 88 CE MCHT K deals 70-71dmg instead of 68dmg IIRC.

Nice work !
The picture is a very good idea and way better than the boring way I list character haha.

66B BE 1B] into BT throw will get definitively work on more characters.
I will test that as soon as I get home (or you can do it, it would save me time haha).

I really do not think you can get a back throw consistently against other characters if you do a 66B BE W! 1(B). I tested this on a dummy laying face-down, head-towards, from all different angles and I couldn't get a back throw against any of the other characters in that snapshot. You may get one here and there if you delay the grab attempt only slightly, but this does not warrant a stamp of "guaranteed" against those characters because it's inconsistent. You have a chance of it happening, but it's unrealistic to assume it will. With those characters I left blank on the snapshot, it will always grant a back throw at the fastest input. There's no chance of it not happening unless your timing was too slow.

On a side note :
Probably known but, after 1K], you can add a bit more damage (like 2dmg or something like that) with step into combo.
1K] 88 CE MCHT K deals 70-71dmg instead of 68dmg IIRC.

Yeah, this is true, I will do this sometimes if the 1(K) hit in a close proximity. Most of the time 1(K) pushes them too far away so I need to step forward in order to get the BS 2B+K, MCHT K to connect. The CE definitely seems to have more range than BS 2B+K lol.

I actually made the full 66B BE W! 1B] study.

66B BE W! 1B] will give you :

BACKTRHOW AGAINST : Patroklos, Leixia, Natsu, ZWEI, Ezio, Siegfried, Xiba, Ivy*, Cervantes, Night, Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, Alpha Patroklos

SIDE THROW AGAINST : Raphael, Pyrrha, Hilde, Aeon*, Tira**, Maxi***, Dampierre, Omega Pyrrha, Algol

FRONT THROW AGAINST : Astaroth

* = 1B] will not connect if Voldo is on opponent's left side

** = 1B] will not connect if Voldo is on opponent's right side

*** = 1B] will either not connect if Voldo is on opponent's left side or the throw will not connect.

1B] will not work against Viola at all.

PS : The throws were not delayed at all. For an exemple, after a 66B BE 1B] situation throw is faster than Mitsu's BT B+K

There is more to this than meets the eye. I was just in training mode testing these out, and I noticed something right away against Lexia. If you pick her up by the legs when she is face-down head-away you will get the back throw. You won't get it after any of the 1K's or BS WR B's because those leave her feet-away head-towards. Weird. I need to mess with it more.

Last edited:
i recently decided to step up my voldo game from casual user to maybe a new secondary or something. i've been having some surprising success with just doing BT CR mix-ups, but i don't know how well that actually works against better people. some of the hardest stuff i have problems with is just character-specific punishment, but that just comes with experience and reading some post on the match-up thread.

Back turned CR Mixups are *kind* of Voldo's bread and butter.

Not so much mixups between Blindstance CR moves, but mixups between Blindstance 2A+B or Blindstance CR B/Blindstance WR B.

That's just one step, though. It might be his most time tested, thoroughly used mixup aggression in soul calibur 5, but you need to know more than just how to do that. you need to know your opponents potential responses, what to do if they punish your BS 2A+B (which will likely lead to front turned wakeup options), what defensive options your opponents are left with if they successfully block the CR/WR B, and finally, if you've been successful and hitting your opponents repeatedly with BS 2A+B during the backturned "Voldo Grinder" when to know when they're likely to wakeup with a vertical wakeup attack, leacing you free to pre-emptively use a blindstance grab and sidestep their vertical for a side or potential back throw.

All easy things to understand, but getting it intuitive could take a few months.

Voldo's grabs and BT options make him a potent threat. Also, his MC options are great for completely halting his opponent's momentum. Sometimes in back turned, I go straight into MCHT (BT A+B~G) to trip up my opponent.

Underused combo variations :
CH BS WS A BS 66BK BS A+B~G > 77dmg
CH BS WS A BS 66B 66B BE > 83dmg RO possible

CH BS WS A BS 66BK W! BS 2A > 77dmg opponent standing
CH BS WS A BS 66BK W! BS 2B] > 77dmg

2 more damage than the "normal" CH BS WS A combo (without clean hit, of course).

Is the stun on LF B BE long enough for you to get up and 66B BE? Can you also follow it up with 1B?

Yeah, but you only get that big of a stun from a high air hit CE. You can also get up and 666B, which will catch right tech, but can be left teched. Didn't test 1b, but i doubt that would work.

Back