Was SCIV a failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So going to tekken and "not looking back" since it came out isn't implying you think tekken is better? Oh, and if you want a game community, go to SF. No other fighting game is really going to top its competitive community.

I'm not saying SC4 is immune to criticism, but your criticism is beyond ridiculous. All of it is opinion based or just complete moon logic.

And if you play SC4 offline so much Arti, why did nobody EVER see you at any offline tourneys, that yes, did happen in your area?

Because I work full time and I work weekends. So It'll be a lot easier after I graduate in May.

I only have the oppourtunity to go to gatherings right now.

Is my opinion not valid because the last tournament I signed up for was back during Soul Calibur 2?

Clearly it works for Tekken and Street Fighter, both of which are miles ahead of the Calibur community.
This is funny to me.

Uh.....I could've sworn that the entire Street Fighter community that plays competitively would agree that SF is THE most brain-dead, noob friendly, easy SF games to ever be released and they ONLY play it because its new. The SRK community itself would even tell you that. Go see for yourself.

OoooOOOhhhh so what you're saying is why is such a great game on the decline. Well you sure phrased it different.

SC4 is on the decline, because we suck as a community, we lack organization, we lack leadership, basically for a second time in a row we shit on our own game.

We pay too much attention to what the elites of this community have to say, and very little to the most important people in any community. The noobs.

Being good at a video game doesn't make you intelligent. And it pretty much means anything you say is a danger to the community because what you say carries a lot weight, despite being a self centered, egotistical jerk.

And elites make a lot people feel like they're nobodies whose opinion isn't worth shit. With that why would you even show up to a tournament.

Our game caters to noobs, our community doesn't. So basically we negate our own user base, a lot people play the game, but they want nothing to do with us.

That's my take on it.

Since Tekken 6 came out, I havent looked back. And to think I dropped Tekken in 99 for this series. I think with each addition to the series the system has become more and more watered down and Namco's SC division flat out shits on us.

When Tekken 6 came out in October and the netcode was TRASH, the community went apeshit and we got a patch that fixed online tenfold. By DECEMBER, mind you. Meanwhile, a 5 bar connection in SC4 still isnt as good as the best 2 bar connection in Tekken 6. Bitching for what seems like a little over a year now.

There are so many things wrong with this game when you revisit it after playing top notch 3d like Tekken/VF that it blows my mind that

-The idea of step is destroyed by moves that should track and dont, and moves that shouldnt track that DO. Horizontal mids can be stepped.
-Moves have an absurdly large amount of properties that randomize matchups and make for scrub button mashing ie: (tech high, guard crush, fast startup, +frames, CF gauge etc etc)
-Tiers are skewered. Low tier has 0 options against S tier.
-No reward for defense. Turtles lose faster. Bulldogging is the primary form of aggression. (in a FIGHTING game?) lol @ Talim vs Sets

Im surprised I played SCIV as long as I did. These forums are decaying. SCIV is starting to be omitted at tourneys. Broken Destiny is still only on that stupid pink Hannah Montanna PSP.

I check on my friends list and see people still play this game religiously. For what? Why be good in a game that the community and even the developers have turned their back on? At least SC4 lasted longer than SC3, but between Street Fighter 4, Blazblue and Tekken 6 this game is literally dead and burried.

In what respect is Soul Calibur 4 a success? Because I unfortunately have come to the conclusion that the game I used to love more and anything is pretty much damaged beyond repair.

1. Stepping and tracking verticals ARE a little imbalanced in this game. I would really like to see the tracking on certain verticals to be toned down a bit, especially when they have other properties that make them really good. That being said, I'm sure they could have found a balancing between what we have now and the overpowered step of SC2.

2. Scrub button mashing? How many of these scrubs win tournaments?

3. Tiers exist in every fighting game. Certain characters could and should be toned down, but to be honest their are worse imbalances in other fighting games.

4. No reward for defense? Each defensive option in the game has it's rewards. Guarding usually puts you at advantage or gives you a free hit, successfully stepping/backdashing a move gives a free whiff punish, spacing can be used to put you in an advantageous position. The purpose of the Soul Gauge is to encourage people to vary their defense. I don't see what the problem is here.

Overall, yeah this game does have some imbalances, but really, what game doesn't? The real problem is that Namco didn't support this game the way they do Tekken, that's all. No arcade release, only 1 patch, no online patch, etc.

So yeah, Namco did screw up in a few major ways. At the same time though, people seem willing to stick with other fighting games that have just as many if not more imbalances. Soul Calibur is just a game that happens to attract a lot of casual players. Most of the real fans are still playing.

Artilust: You're a failure. Learn how to play the game against someone good. You clearly developed a more effective fighting style in Tekken if you're enjoying that more. SC4 was a success because we're still here and still loving it. Now go away until you can ask a valid question without sounding like an imbecile.

oh ok.

Uh.....I could've sworn that the entire Street Fighter community that plays competitively would agree that SF is THE most brain-dead, noob friendly, easy SF games to ever be released and they ONLY play it because its new. The SRK community itself would even tell you that. Go see for yourself.

Hmmm. Somehow you mistaked the Street Fighter community as being one game.

Turbo
CE
Alpha Series
III
IV
vs

The SF community is loads stronger than any of the other fighting franchises.

You'd think that Tekken and SC would stick together. I wonder why not.

The Blazblue community is basically the Guilty Gear community. The BB boards is a sub-forum of Dustloop.

Since Tekken 6 came out, I havent looked back. And to think I dropped Tekken in 99 for this series.
There are so many things wrong with this game when you revisit it after playing top notch 3d like Tekken/VF that it blows my mind

But I didnt say Tekken was a better game stupid.

QED. Stupid.

You'd think that Tekken and SC would stick together. I wonder why not.

The Blazblue community is basically the Guilty Gear community. The BB boards is a sub-forum of Dustloop.

The GG/BB players are just as split as the SC/Tekken players are. Many GG players hate BB.

Nit nit nit nitpick.

And you aren't trolling.. Right..

You obviously haven't kept up on the GG/BB community. But a LARGE group of GG players hate BB.

And Tekken generally doesn't like SC4 because they classify it as a "button mashing game" because it's simply less daunting in what you have to learn. Also, they freak at hilde, and say movement sucks.

What kind of "monstrosity" topic is this?
Artilust, just what is your logic?
Because your argument isn't valid at all.

Hey c'mon at least SoulCalibur IV wasn't as bad as King of Fighters 12

I really wanted to like that game (still kinda do) but it's basically 60 bucks for training mode and versus and that is just unacceptable. SNK spent 3 years on it and then they don't even include a story mode, a record feature in training, or half decent online play. Biggest disappointment of 2009 for me.

i read this topic and laugh. the community has even picked back up a little recently. maybe not on the forums but online play has been crazy since christmas...i know 12 or so ppl just in my neighborhood that got SC4 over tekken and SF this christmas.top 3 reasons:

SC = noob friendly
It's the most logical in terms of gameplay(u cant juggle some1 across the whole fuckin map)
Character variation. also i had 1 guy(my neighbor) say this: "SC has 2 sets of characters that are similar but nowhere near the same(nightmare/Seig, and the sisters) but even if they have the same move its not executed in the same maner how many times can u make a character that can throw fireballs???? lets ask street fighter....Ryu,Ken,Akuma,Sagat,Sakura,Dan...hes like that alone makes me not want to play SF(his argument of course can be debated but that was y he didn't play SF. not enough variety he said) every character in SC has a personality and that personality comes out in their fighting style. some more than others of course(tira im talkin to u) the differences u can make are amazing ya sure ken and ryu are different but nightmare and seig...man that's like night and day. u cant play nightmare and seig the same way. but u can play any of the above characters in SF the same(if u choose so)"...and that is what my neighbor had to say.

he hasn't even had SC for a month and that's the impression its left on him....i remember my 1st beer

me i love SC always have and always will. the community will never completely die. it may go through a drought but it always picks back up. i am enjoying my time online teaching the new comers the basics(reminds me of when i started). looking forward to teaching more noobs in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back