What would a [serious] bare-handed style play like in Soul Calibur?

You people forget Viola's claw hand. The coolest weapon you never saw. Put one of those on both hands and you've got a new fairly unique* weapon style with alot of potential and some of the coolest weapon trails in the game.

*Fuck you Vega

Or just go all Wolverine with it.

I believe that a purely unarmed style is just too thematically out of place to work. Not for any story reasons or shit like that, but because Soul Calibur is, first and foremost, a weapon-based fighter. Adding a fist fighter just puts a hole in the (and I hate saying this phrase) artistic integrity of the game, and not for any real benefit. If someone wants to play a fighter where they punch people to death, there are plenty of those already--it wouldn't be drawing in new players, and if it did it'd be for the wrong reasons. Besides, guest characters fit that role already. However, I do like styles like Yun-Seong's, where he still has a weapon but also focuses heavily on kicks.

Just my opinion. Plus, Devil Jin's animations are fucking awful and if there was a fist fighter, they'd have to be a lot better than that garbage.
Heihachi actually looked kinda cool.

Maybe a boxing style with some wrestling moves mixed in? Like Pankration. It was introduced to the Greek Olympic Games in 648 BC. It would look similar to Tekken's Steve Fox, I suppose.

Huh. Well, SC sets itself apart from other 3d fighters by being weapons based. Not saying we just shouldn't have one </story> but I, for one, would cringe every single time something sharp impacted with his/her knuckles XD It looks jarring, a little like Sc4 Shura firing off invisible guns :) In fact, the whole presence of a barefist fighter might be a bit jarring (not unlike DJ...)
But I think this is a good compromise :
You people forget Viola's claw hand. The coolest weapon you never saw. Put one of those on both hands and you've got a new fairly unique* weapon style with alot of potential and some of the coolest weapon trails in the game.
*Fuck you Vega
Or just go all Wolverine with it.
Like uh... that butterfly guy from DW. Zhang He :)

ZhangHe2.png

VegaComicArt2.jpg

I'm noticing a pattern here.

drunkenfist!

it consists of eight stances that you could activate, would be good to combine that with having them switch within combos.

you know that drunkenfist vs yoshimitsu would be graceful

Soul Edge (The first of the Soul Calibur series) is where you can break weapons leaving him/her empty handed, but they can fight with their fists. W/o any luck I can't find any youtube vids of SE involving characters using their bare fist to fight against each other.

A truly bare handed fighter wouldnt work in this game, you would have to incorporate a weapon in some form.
TKD would be good with some sort body armour, bladed or some sort (obviously long legs) a move list in the same form as maxis would work.
Dampierre is basically a hand to hand fighter, his animations work due to his lanky figure.
Or play tekken ^^
Soul Edge (The first of the Soul Calibur series) is where you can break weapons leaving him/her empty handed, but they can fight with their fists. W/o any luck I can't find any youtube vids of SE involving characters using their bare fist to fight against each other.
lol I remember that, its involved standard tekken 1s and 2s and a throw universally applied.

You do know what she does is TKD, one of the shop chars I think had this.
Having more JFs would be good, but it would deter a lot of players from the game who dont have the execution skills required.

I'd like a bare handed grappler in Soul Calibur. Maybe nothing weird like a pro wrestler, just a martial artist with a nice powerful command grab.

Shigen from Last Blade actually is pretty cool!

Back