What would you rate SCV out of 10 ?

A nice solid 8.4/10. PS's best effort in the amount of time that was given. I think many things can be expanded upon to make this one of the best fighters of the current generation. I mean, no arcade release means there are going to be a few bugs. This version is pretty much an arcade release and we're testing it thoroughly for them. If that's the case then the revised edition of SCV will definitely be superb. *cough*nerfmaxi6a+bbeorillneverbuyanothernamcogameagain*cough*

People bitching about GIs costing meter: GIs were useless anyway. Only JIs really did anything. Now a GI will give you somewhere in the realm of +23. Which is monster.
People bitching about mimics: Tsunami + short development time = A few corners cut.
People bitching about aPat and Omega: They're actually sort of rad.
People bitching about old characters not coming back: Go play those old games if a polygon model is all you play the game for.
People bitching about tracking and hit detection issues/QS4G/QS214/G888: Mah nigga.
People bitching about 6A+B BE > LI A (BE): It gives me the heebee jeebees.

And really, people who are saying Soul IV was better. You serious? Go back and play that now that you've played V and see what you think. Take them nostalgia goggles off.

And really, people who are saying Soul IV was better. You serious? Go back and play that now that you've played V and see what you think. Take them nostalgia goggles off.

Yeah. SCIV was fundamentally flawed. the game was so slow the matches would make me nod off.

SCV just needs more content, really. it's foundation is good.

8/10.
The fighting engine is so nice to play despite the new bits they added. Music and graphics are so gorgeous.

The only real thing I didn't like is the lack of *good* single player modes. Edgemaster Mode plz.

Story mode centred around the Alexandra siblings isn't a plus either. BUT, When the budget kicked in those cutscenes were nice to watch. (Apart from the "epic" showdown between Nightmare and Siegfried at the start. I mean who would have thought the final battle between Edge and Calibur would be so bland?)

Overall you do get the feeling that this game *wasn't* meant to be a Soul Calibur game. It was meant to be something new but became SCV due to Namco being a bit cheap.

If there ever is a SCVI its going to be made from an awesome base.

7/10, wtf 3 mimics removal of 3 original styles, no arcade endings, and "whos all this new people" "what purpose is there for everyone that wasent in story mode" and a noobed up moveset throught the roster,

I was a 2D fighting game player that tried SC5 as my first 3D. For reference I mainly stick to SNK fighters. In all honesty I had a lot of fun playing SC5 at first, but the more I played the more put off I became at certain characters who are vastly overplayed and imo overpowered. The character diversity online is poor. The netcode is great at 3 bars and above which is common even in cross continent play, and Create A Soul is really fun (wasted a lot of hours on it lol). I never bothered with story mode because I don't care about it.

I would say SC5 is a fun game but it doesn't feel competitive to me. What people consider competitive is subjective but to me it's solid balance and this game appears to lack that. I'm not a fan of the input system either. It's simplistic yet frustrating at the same time, but maybe this is just because I'm coming from 2D to 3D. It's also really hard to block in this game. Not the act itself, but knowing how to block. In most 2Ds you can crouch block everything except overheads which are easy to spot and react to. In SC5 you have to know every single string for every single character before you even have a chance of blocking correctly, and many of the mixups have ambiguous animations. I found this to be frustrating.

This game feels like a 6/10 to me. I'm not compelled to play it much anymore because I already know 9 times out of 10 it will be vs Natsu, Nightmare or Xiba. I wouldn't recommend it to my friends unless they had a lot of disposable income.

Non-Existant Traditional Single Player Content: -2

Non-Existant Arcade Mode Endings (lending toward the exploration of the entire roster): -1

Step G Reincarnated: -3

4/10

If at the present $40 price-point.

Non-Existant Traditional Single Player Content: -2

Non-Existant Arcade Mode Endings (lending toward the exploration of the entire roster): -1

Step G Reincarnated: -3

4/10

If at the present $40 price-point.
Get out.

People bitching about mimics: Tsunami + short development time = A few corners cut.

You know, I think this goes to show how utterly self-entitled and selfish current gamers are. Japan goes through a miniature apocalypse, and we still bitch at them about content. No, you can't give Capcom as an example, Namco's headquarters was much closer to where the tsunami hit than Capcom's was.

Just going to reiterate (in short) mostly the same sentiments.

Pros:
Better netcode.
Quick step and less generous lateral tracking of BB's.
Versatility of some of the new BE moves.
Overall game balance feels solid.

Cons:
Story mode.
Removal of classic characters/moves.
Weak single player content.

Bottom line: 7 of 10. Passable game which still plays well on all technical levels, and reasonably fun to just play casually online. I don't feel like it lives up to SC4, let alone SC2. Could be much, much better than it is.

I would say SC5 is a fun game but it doesn't feel competitive to me. What people consider competitive is subjective but to me it's solid balance and this game appears to lack that. I'm not a fan of the input system either. It's simplistic yet frustrating at the same time, but maybe this is just because I'm coming from 2D to 3D. It's also really hard to block in this game. Not the act itself, but knowing how to block. In most 2Ds you can crouch block everything except overheads which are easy to spot and react to. In SC5 you have to know every single string for every single character before you even have a chance of blocking correctly, and many of the mixups have ambiguous animations. I found this to be frustrating.

Kind of ironic you think those are all negative points, because that's actually what I like in 3-D fighters. I'm pretty mediocre at most 2-D fighting games, but SC is probably the fighting game I'm best at. I've been playing since SC2, and the heaviest 2-D game I played was hundreds of hours of Guilty Gear back in the day, for reference.

Yes, input is simple and in general even simple moves are much more punishable in 3-D fighters than 2-D but that shifts the difficulty more toward decision making rather than execution. You have to use the right moves with the right timing, and its more crucial to use them in the right situations as compared to 2-D.

Same with the difficulty in defending. I agree with your general assessment but I find that to be a strength -- besides just the high-low game, you have step game, guard breaks, unblockables, and just generally having huge move lists with branching variations to strings adds a lot of possibilities. Mix-up and mind games become more open than 2-D fighters where you can comfortably low block most things as you said. Again, I feel like it favors strategy and decision making. It's a different flavor of game, which I like more.

I'm not going to give numbers, just rough sentiments.
Single player/ casual - low scores. Previous versions of the game had better single player experience.

Multiplayer physical - high scores. It was fun. End of story. Hard to gague technical aspects of it as players were - in fact - button mashing.

Multiplayer online - PSN - moderate scores. Woo! Okay, I need more experience with this before I go ahead and say my full experience, but when we actually played it was cool. However, the first game I played disconnected before the third round. PSN, by the by. I heard XBL doesn't have that problem, which would give them a higher score than PSN.

Graphics: 10/10 the best looking FG out there, each character and stage is highly detail.
Sound: 10/10 music is superb, one of the best OST in the series
Story: 6/10 nice try, but no ending per character and no explanation on what happened during those 17 years, is retarded.
Gameplay: 8/10 glitchy and unbalanced, but this could easily change for a 10/10 with a patch.
Extras: 5/10 almost non existant

Final score 8

Now this is a fair review with no fanboy shit, you can not take points away cause your fav character is not in or cause there are 3 mimics, I mean, that sux! but is stupid to let that affect the score.

My opinion:
- Graphics: good but not superb 8/10
- Sound: very good 10 / 10
- Singleplayer content: 3 points for the editor, the rest is ... 3/10 (Maybe the reason is the tsunami, maybe not, but the fact is, there is not really much which is worth playing)
- Online Mode: 8,5 / 10 Nice work there.
- Gameplay changes: hard to rate them. I personaly dislike most of the changes. I still get no real "soul-calibur-feeling" in SCV even after spending hours of online gaming. I like the speed, i like the "not so overpowerd lows" but i don't like everything else. I hate bemus with too much focus on combo-playing and now sc5 feels like such a game: "waitin' for a whiff and execute your 50 to 90% life loss super combo" Thats boring, at least for me. The defensive gameplay lags here also (JG is too difficult to do and non-escapeable stuns suck). i think the gameplay rating varies from 5 (dislike the changes) to 9 (like the gameplay changes). so its a 5 for me.

And really, people who are saying Soul IV was better. You serious? Go back and play that now that you've played V and see what you think.

SCIV has the deeper and better gameplay (in my opinion) and yes i'm serious about that. in fact i started playin sc4 again and i don't miss anything sc5 has to offer except for the better netcode.

I'll narrate my experience with the game and keep track of the score.

• The game is incredibly fluid and feels surprisingly different. Awesome training mode. Stating point: 10/10
  • Nice aracade mode, but no endings: 9/10
  • You realize that both GI and JG are stupidly pointless and risky: 8.5/10
  • Incredible story mode prologue and first battle: 9.5/10
  • You realize that those amazing movies are replaced by crappy, monochromatic drawings: 9/10
  • The budget strikes back in!: 9.5/10
  • Incomprehensible second half of the story: 8/10
  • Greatly improved online: 9/10
  • Amazing CaS mode: 9.5/10
  • Nonsense CaS limitations and lack of ANY cool pieces from the start: 9/10
  • Legendary Souls seems like a very fun challenge and has a huge amount of nostalgia: 9.5/10
  • You realize that after Siegfried the AI becomes ridiculously hard: 9/10
  • Disappointing feeling after finishing LS and getting pretty much nothing for clearing the hardest fg mode ever: 8/10
  • CaS unlocks give you a reason to keep leveling up 8.5/10
  • THIS GAME PLAYS F**KING AWESOME AND THAT'S WHAT TRULY MATTERS!: 9/10
9/10 overall. I don't see why you people give the game such low scores for bullshit nobody really gives a crap about. Story sucked? No Taki/Setsuka/Kilik? (which are actually still in) No special versus? OMG TALIM Y U NO IN SCV? (a character I only fought against online like four times in the whole four years I played SCIV) DAMPIERRE Y U AINT GOT NO STAGE???
WTF is this, GameFaqs? Or is it IGN?

I'll narrate my experience with the game and keep track of the score.

• The game is incredibly fluid and feels surprisingly different. Awesome training mode. Stating point: 10/10
  • Nice aracade mode, but no endings: 9/10
  • You realize that both GI and JG are stupidly pointless and risky: 8.5/10
  • Incredible story mode prologue and first battle: 9.5/10
  • You realize that those amazing movies are replaced by crappy, monochromatic drawings: 9/10
  • The budget strikes back in!: 9.5/10
  • Incomprehensible second half of the story: 8/10
  • Greatly improved online: 9/10
  • Amazing CaS mode: 9.5/10
  • Nonsense CaS limitations and lack of ANY cool pieces from the start: 9/10
  • Legendary Souls seems like a very fun challenge and has a huge amount of nostalgia: 9.5/10
  • You realize that after Siegfried the AI becomes ridiculously hard: 9/10
  • Disappointing feeling after finishing LS and getting pretty much nothing for clearing the hardest fg mode ever: 8/10
  • CaS unlocks give you a reason to keep leveling up 8.5/10
  • THIS GAME PLAYS F**KING AWESOME AND THAT'S WHAT TRULY MATTERS!: 9/10
9/10 overall. I don't see why you people give the game such low scores for bullshit nobody really gives a crap about. Story sucked? No Taki/Setsuka/Kilik? (which are actually still in) No special versus? OMG TALIM Y U NO IN SCV? (a character I only fought against online like four times in the whole four years I played SCIV) DAMPIERRE Y U AINT GOT NO STAGE???

WTF is this, GameFaqs? Or is it IGN?
All lies. This game deserves a 7.5 or 8.

1-Graphics: 9/10.
2-Sound: 9/10.
3-Gameplay: 9/10.
4-Character Creation Mode: 9/10.
5-Story Mode: 5/10 "Though if the made it Patroklos or Pyrrha's ending 9/10,but nooo that's the only story mode for the entire game/characters;booo".
6-Legendary Souls Mode: 1/10 "It's like fighting against a couple of characters in very hard/edge master mode,boring".
7-Quick battle Mode: 5/10 "Just titles?Why not CaS parts?Have to level up to get a few parts?".
8-Training mode: 7/10.
9-Versus Mode: 1/10 "Why can't we double the health bar or reduse it like in SCIV?Were the hell is Team battle?".

Over all Single Player modes: 2/10 "No Team Battle,No Survival Mode,No Edge Master Mode".

10-Online mode:
-Ranked Match: 3/10 "Can't create a session?Were is the leveling percentage?".
-Player Match: 9/10 "Why isn't there a (middle east) searching option just like the other regions?".
-Global Collesseo: 10/10.

Over all Online modes: 7/10.

-Oh yeah,the sexism,old men returned!women?hell nah!
Some didn't even age,and some,heck they didn't even state Maxi's reason "older than he looks" wtf?
And that is why Daishi should be fired immediately.

-Overall,i would give this game a 6.5/10.

Back