When Yun-seong returns, what's your ideal moveset for him?

I’ve never cared for Yun-seong’s attitude and personality, off quirk I’m sure, but I was hopeful when Hwang came back for SoulCalibur III that we could have them both like the Alexandras, alas SoulCalibur IV promptly crushed my soul.
Pun detected.

Hwang has zero appeal and is so boring. If it weren't for him existing in Seong Mina's story he'd be completely forgotten again.

It will be massively disappointing if he actually got some of Yun-seong's unique moves from his Crane/Swoop/Land Walk stances. That'd be the 3rd character Hwang will steal moves from other than Mitsurugi and Xianghua lol.

Last edited:
Hwang has zero appeal and is so boring. If it weren't for him existing in Seong Mina's story he'd be completely forgotten again.

It will be massively disappointing if he actually got some of Yun-seong's unique moves from his Crane/Swoop/Land Walk stances. That'd be the 3rd character Hwang will steal moves from other than Mitsurugi and Xianghua.
salty.jpg

Hwang moveset > Yun-seong moveset

(Yes, I'm being petty lol)

no need for anything off the rails gimmicky
This is what I'm worried about not just for Hwang but for other upcoming characters. Having moves locked out in Soul Charge is enough but others locked on special stances on hit/stack requirements is a bit too gimmicky. I hope Amy, Cassandra, and Hilde are the last ones to get this treatment.

Here's hoping that Hwang steals some Yun-Seong moves so that project soul is forced to put some more effort and yun-seong good after his trainwreck appearance in SC4

Here's hoping that Hwang steals some Yun-Seong moves so that project soul is forced to put some more effort and yun-seong good after his trainwreck appearance in SC4
But with that logic, if we take moves that made Yun-seong a trainwreck in SoulCalibur IV and give them to Hwang then wouldn't Hwang be a trainwreck in SoulCalibur VI? 🤔

I'd rather Hwang gets his own moveset back based on Assassin from SoulCalibur II and/or his own moveset from SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition. I know I've said this plenty of times but my support for Hwang is mostly for his moveset and not the character itself. Hell, I'd actually be satisfied enough if Yun-seong comes back but with Hwang's moveset instead of his own. I'd be playing Yun-seong the most out of any characters if that happens.

================================

When it comes to fighting games, I actually rarely end up playing my favorite "characters" or waifus/etc and usually end up playing the character whose moveset I enjoy or feel most comfortable playing. If my favorite character has a moveset that I like then great but if it doesn't then I move on to a character who I can actually enjoy playing against other people.

With that said, I'm still very iffy about the fourth character in Season 2. It could very well be Hwang but that doesn't necessarily guarantee his moveset. Hwang coming back as a reskinned Yun-seong is a lot more disappointing than Yun-seong actually being the fourth character. At that point, all hope is lost.

But with that logic, if we take moves that made Yun-seong a trainwreck in SoulCalibur IV and give them to Hwang then wouldn't Hwang be a trainwreck in SoulCalibur VI? 🤔

I'd rather Hwang gets his own moveset back based on Assassin from SoulCalibur II and/or his own moveset from SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition. I know I've said this plenty of times but my support for Hwang is mostly for his moveset and not the character itself. Hell, I'd actually be satisfied enough if Yun-seong comes back but with Hwang's moveset instead of his own. I'd be playing Yun-seong the most out of any characters if that happens.

================================

When it comes to fighting games, I actually rarely end up playing my favorite "characters" or waifus/etc and usually end up playing the character whose moveset I enjoy or feel most comfortable playing. If my favorite character has a moveset that I like then great but if it doesn't then I move on to a character who I can actually enjoy playing against other people.

With that said, I'm still very iffy about the fourth character in Season 2. It could very well be Hwang but that doesn't necessarily guarantee his moveset. Hwang coming back as a reskinned Yun-seong is a lot more disappointing than Yun-seong actually being the fourth character. At that point, all hope is lost.

Hwang can have a few Yun-seong moves here and there. Nobody complains about Sieg/Nightmare. As long as it’s kept to a minimum the it’s fine.

Hwang doesn't have to pillage moves from Yun, we've already seen what Project Soul can do with characters who shared moves with others, plus the way Haohmaru has turned out shows just how creative the team is at the movement. If you want an idea what Hwang could turn out to be just think about how you could expand his signature moves. His most iconic signature moves going all the way back to Soul Blade is when he does the splits. Hwang can have a split stance by either doing :1: :(A):, :2::(B): or a quick splits stance with :B+K:. From there you could do unique moves, a super crouch (ducks mids), rising launchers, go full Capoeira, shit would be mental to see and not a single crane stance in sight, which can be expanded on for Yun who is basically representing Korean Taekwondo.

If both Hwang and Yun Seong are on the roster, will they actually differentiate their weapons more ? (Differing movesets is obviously going to happen).
They both have single edged chinese style Daos since we last saw them but I think its a fantastic opportunity to create more differentiation between the 2 of them.

In comparison:
Noticeably different weapons
Kilik and Seong Mina: bludgeoning staff vs heavy hyeopdo
Raphael and Amy: Long rapier sword vs short rapier sword

Semi-different weapons:
Siegfried and Nightmare: Double edged zweihander vs single edged great sword (plus Soul Edge is so visually iconic it will be hard to confuse one for the other)

Not that different:
Sophitia and Cassandra: The short swords are practically identical and the shields only differ from the logo.
Yoshimitsu and Mitsurugi (and even Haohmaru): Yoshi has his flag and a spare wakizashi

I don't want Hwang and Yunseong to be so visually similar where you have to see them in motion to tell them apart.
I was looking through historical korean swords:http://www.arscives.com/historysteel/korean.swordlist.htm

I'm thinking its easier to keep Yun Seong's Blue Storm as is (since the model's already done in SC4) and update/upgrade Hwang
• Should Hwang have a single or a double edged sword ?
• Should Hwang's sword have a pronounced curvature or be relatively straight ? Keep in mind that Setsuka and Taki both have straight swords with only 1 cutting edge.
• Should Hwang's sword be one handed or two handed ? Can extend the handle so its a hybrid that can be used both 1 handed and 2 handed (sort of in between Yunseong and Seong Mina's weapons)
• Is his sword going to be broad (usually hand in hand with a deep curve) or relatively narrow ? (broadword vs sabre)

I think single edge and one handed has to stay. Hwang's sword can be less broad and have less curvature of the cutting edge.

Accessories like tassels, iron rings on the flat edge of the sword, an ornate crossguard seems like its not enough to differentiate the weapons.

If both Hwang and Yun Seong are on the roster, will they actually differentiate their weapons more ? (Differing movesets is obviously going to happen).
They both have single edged chinese style Daos since we last saw them but I think its a fantastic opportunity to create more differentiation between the 2 of them.

In comparison:
Noticeably different weapons
Kilik and Seong Mina: bludgeoning staff vs heavy hyeopdo
Raphael and Amy: Long rapier sword vs short rapier sword

Semi-different weapons:
Siegfried and Nightmare: Double edged zweihander vs single edged great sword (plus Soul Edge is so visually iconic it will be hard to confuse one for the other)

Not that different:
Sophitia and Cassandra: The short swords are practically identical and the shields only differ from the logo.
Yoshimitsu and Mitsurugi (and even Haohmaru): Yoshi has his flag and a spare wakizashi

I don't want Hwang and Yunseong to be so visually similar where you have to see them in motion to tell them apart.
I was looking through historical korean swords:http://www.arscives.com/historysteel/korean.swordlist.htm

I'm thinking its easier to keep Yun Seong's Blue Storm as is (since the model's already done in SC4) and update/upgrade Hwang
• Should Hwang have a single or a double edged sword ?
• Should Hwang's sword have a pronounced curvature or be relatively straight ? Keep in mind that Setsuka and Taki both have straight swords with only 1 cutting edge.
• Should Hwang's sword be one handed or two handed ? Can extend the handle so its a hybrid that can be used both 1 handed and 2 handed (sort of in between Yunseong and Seong Mina's weapons)
• Is his sword going to be broad (usually hand in hand with a deep curve) or relatively narrow ? (broadword vs sabre)

I think single edge and one handed has to stay. Hwang's sword can be less broad and have less curvature of the cutting edge.

Accessories like tassels, iron rings on the flat edge of the sword, an ornate crossguard seems like its not enough to differentiate the weapons.
I actually made a post a little over a year ago in this same thread about one of them using a Korean sword (some of the swords kind of look like a one handed Katana). It's possible that Hwang could end up using Blue Storm (Jian) instead of Blue Thunder (Dao) and that Blue Storm could be retconned into being a "Korean Sword" instead.
HwangSC4.gif
Hwangcon1.jpg

Problem with this is that it ends up being in conflict with Xianghua instead. But I think it would work out if they rework Blue Storm from a double-edged blade to a single-edged blade. The original game he appeared in, Soul Edge or Soul Blade, was low poly anyway so there's some room to work with for retcon.
121-k020.jpg

Something like this shouldn't be in conflict with Taki's weapon since her weapon is short in length while Setsuka's weapon is long in length. A medium sized version of the weapon above the size of Xianghua's weapon would be distinguishable enough in my opinion.

Or if anything, Yun-seong could also switch to a Butterfly Sword which is a shorter Dao. This works since Yun-seong appears to be more acrobatic than Hwang. He could trade length for more speed and this weapon is very distinguishable from a Dao.
Double_Sword_with_Scabbard_MET_36.25.1487a_c_001_Apr2017_brightened.jpg

I actually made a post a little over a year ago in this same thread about one of them using a Korean sword (some of the swords kind of look like a one handed Katana). It's possible that Hwang could end up using Blue Storm (Jian) instead of Blue Thunder (Dao) and that Blue Storm could be retconned into being a "Korean Sword" instead.
HwangSC4.gif
Hwangcon1.jpg

Problem with this is that it ends up being in conflict with Xianghua instead. But I think it would work out if they rework Blue Storm from a double-edged blade to a single-edged blade. The original game he appeared in, Soul Edge or Soul Blade, was low poly anyway so there's some room to work with for retcon.
121-k020.jpg

Something like this shouldn't be in conflict with Taki's weapon since her weapon is short in length while Setsuka's weapon is long in length. A medium sized version of the weapon above the size of Xianghua's weapon would be distinguishable enough in my opinion.

Or if anything, Yun-seong could also switch to a Butterfly Sword which is a shorter Dao. This works since Yun-seong appears to be more acrobatic than Hwang. He could trade length for more speed and this weapon is very distinguishable from a Dao.
Double_Sword_with_Scabbard_MET_36.25.1487a_c_001_Apr2017_brightened.jpg
yeah you had a good post I was trying to also look into "authentic" korean historic weapons. I agree that a lot of them look like one handed katanas.

Dual butterfly swords are actually surprisingly badass but the range is like taki lol. It would be a huge change for Yun Seong and I don't know how his mains would feel.

1586585282421.png

Xianghua stole Hwangs soul blade weapon in SC2......

Also when I said its okay if hwang took some moves from Yun-Seong I didn't really mean that he needs to take a lot.

I need to test out the characters but I know in at least SC2 or SC3 xianghua hwang and yunseong have all at least shared a move or two.

A few stuff plucked from Yun-Seong is fine as long as Yun-Seong gets something else in return! Or they can give deleted moves to hwang that Yun-Seong used to have in SC2/SC3 that he no longer has, etc.

View attachment 72301

Xianghua stole Hwangs soul blade weapon in SC2......

Also when I said its okay if hwang took some moves from Yun-Seong I didn't really mean that he needs to take a lot.

I need to test out the characters but I know in at least SC2 or SC3 xianghua hwang and yunseong have all at least shared a move or two.

A few stuff plucked from Yun-Seong is fine as long as Yun-Seong gets something else in return! Or they can give deleted moves to hwang that Yun-Seong used to have in SC2/SC3 that he no longer has, etc.
I think Hwang should keep the moves that were originally his. There are also some moves that I like from Xianghua but I think some of them should be removed for the sake of uniqueness. A modified version of Assassin's moveset from SoulCalibur II is a good start, then add some new moves from Hwang's SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition moveset.

Hwang and yun in the same game would literally be selling the same guy for dlc twice. Yea lets not do that
Hwang and Yun-seong were far more different from each other than Sophitia and Cassandra were. If anything, Hwang is a bit more similar to Xianghua in terms of moveset than he is to Yun-seong but still played differently compared to both. If Cassandra and Seong Mi-na can come back playing differently to Sophitia and Kilik then Hwang and Yun-seong can both come back in the same game playing differently as well. As long as they aren't sold in the same Season Pass or back to back (end of Season 2 and beginning of Season 3) then it'll be fine for the most part.

Back