Where would you put Yoshi on the tier list?

But, from what I've read, 66B no longer works as a combo if you use it after using a:B+K in air. This alone makes most of Yoshi's combos do less damage.

Not much less. A lot of people still don't seem to be aware of this, so allow me to explain:

In any stun combo, when finishing with 66B, the opponent would take far less damage if he did not press any buttons on the ground. Attempting to tech made the 66B deal around 20 damage, while not teching reduced it to 6-8; against people who know this, I would just drop the 66B and dash up to them for oki.

This nerf does drastically reduce his damage from single-hit launchers (3B, 66B, 33K), but those are not as common in real matches as the stun moves. Besides, 66B still has a nice alternative in INT K -> Door Knocker (unless they removed that as well).

He may not be the absolute BEST character anymore, but he still looks plenty top-tier to me. He got off easier in this patch than Cass or Ivy or (especially) Voldo; I think Namco wants him to be strong since he's a "technical" character. That's been their attitude toward Mishimas in Tekken, after all...

-Josh

if yoshi is low tier its only because the learning curve is a long tedious process SC4 is my 1st SC game and YOSHI is my main and if used properly yoshi can punish from any stance he's in and it doesnt matter if hes in front of you or on the side of you

on a side note people online are going to say anything to psyce tou out just too throw you off your game ignore them ,play your game and do what feels comfortable for you if small combo sets work for you do it if you prefer high damage moves that dont lead too combos do it if you put too much thought into what the opponent is saying youve just started defeating yourself

if you play a 100 different people that play the same character i bet they all play that character differently even using the same range of moves. DO YOU too hell with them

and thats my advice for the day LOL

Crazy Yoshimitsu,this is skull maru (i miss our matches i'll be back on in 2 to 3 weeks), but Visdisdik is right. you shouldn't let Kageuchi get to You like that. and in my opinion yoshimistu is high up there on the tier list. Im picking up yoshimitsu and Ivy =)

So there's this post, and the post on the setsuka arena that both basically unanimously say that Kageuchi is completely retarded.

Any others that I missed?, its mildly amusing to me seeing a general community consensus against one idiot.

Also, why do you people still play with him? Just don't, eventually he'll only be able to play with his own if everyone avoids him.

Tiers, shmiers.

Tiers should only be defined as the character's relative capabilities at the very top limits of human skill. Sorry for stating what to many of you is probably the obvious, but it seems that many people forget that, or don't understand the concept. Ease/difficulty of learning, versatility, power moves, and online capabilities don't have anything to do with Tiers. It's one of those concepts that was once the province of the elite, that the masses have ignorantly chosen to adopt, and mangled in the process, and when I see the mangling happen, it annoys me.

- Only the top 2% or so of serious players in the world should even be listened to, when it comes to tiers. Was the OP's "top level player" one of these people? I wouldn't know. And I am not saying here, that people outside the top 2% aren't entitled to their opinions... of course they are. I'm just saying that you shouldn't listen to them lol.

- Even those top 2%, still need time to judge the tiers properly. It's nowhere near time for them to come to final agreement on the subject. Although there's no lack of fun in listening in on their early opinions, of course. And I am not saying here, that the top 2% aren't entitled to have come to a final judgment on the matter this soon after SC4's release... of course they are. I'm just saying that you shouldn't necessarilylisten to them lol x2 + ;). There was the case of Chibita's Lion in Virtua Fighter 4... Lion was considered 'mid tier' until Chibita showed up and won the world tournament with his crazy and creative combos...

- Moreover, only the top 10% or so of serious players in the world should even possibly CARE about Tiers. And even then, only if they are making some kind of personal quest to develop their training up into the top 2%, and from there to make a bid for a world tournament win or something. And yes, I realize that a lot of 8wr's population is that type of peoples.

- For the vast majority of us (and here's me!! this is where I am in the scheme of things), Tiers are irrelevant as all fuck. For us, it's more of a simple question of who's better at the game and knows their character and their opponent better. And ease/difficulty of learning, versatility, power moves, and online capabilities... all those things that don't factor into the Tier system... might factor highly for us, in our character choices, or how we go into a battle.

End rant.

And oh, btw, Yoshi fucking rules. Is he a top-tier character? I just explained how I wouldn't know and shouldn't care. Is he fun as all fuck to learn and play and does he kick ass? YOU BET.

im gonna disagree with you. having a higher tier character is deffinitly easier to win with, as long as you do a little training. but yea, if your one of those people you go to a friends house and only plays there for fun, then stick to the run of the mill characters(mitsu, kilik,etc...).and since im no master of this game(which im happy about. if you get me), i cant tell my opinion on yoshi.
but lets not make this another "tiers do/dont matter" thread

Yoshi is a great character.. He has alot of mix ups, fast launchers and fast lows and some fast unblockables. Yoshi is like an all round character and seem pretty high tier to me. Sorry but your friend is an idiot, let him play a good yoshi and watch him die ^-^. not me though :I i use ivy...

I decided a week ago to start learning to play Yoshi. I'll never regret doing double suicide to win. Although I main with Cervantes, Yoshimitsu FTW. :D

Yeah, Yoshi is a high tier, after 1.03, he lost some punch, but only for a couple of combos, and after 1.03 I have discovered many many combos wich are stronger than any 66B finisher.
Up to this day, I'm still discovering combos, tech traps and more, and there's more to discover.
In close range no other char beats Yoshi's options, where he fails is at long distance, he doesn't have many options to deal damage at long range, but he has te tools to get in.
His throw game is among the strongest in the game (He is the only one able to grab the App), as well as his RO game, great pokes, decent lows, time is on his side, the closer to the end of a round, the stronger Yoshi becomes, great evading and interrupting options, ok step, mostly safe if played wisely, decent SG damage.

Agreed, but what do you mean "he's the only one able to grab the App"?? You mean the B+G~4_6?

I would place Yoshi near the top-end; because he's very useful when his skills are utilized to their fullest abilities.

I would place Yoshi near the top-end; because he's very useful when his skills are utilized to their fullest abilities.
No offense (Promise i'm not bashing or flaming ya), but this is a ridiculously open ended/ mildly pointless post. You could say that about any character. Example: Zas is also very useful when his skills are utilized to their fullest abilities. Look at Omega ^_^

I also believe Yoshi is top though. Pretty much going to repeat what lolo said but he has ridiculous RO, very good Oki (33A+B, iMCF), Safe, i11 punisher, overpowered time attacks, iMCF (best move in the game IMO, short possibly of hilde's C2 A), awesome evades, great mind-games, and phenomenal versatility.

Tiers, shmiers.

- For the vast majority of us (and here's me!! this is where I am in the scheme of things), Tiers are irrelevant as all fuck. For us, it's more of a simple question of who's better at the game and knows their character and their opponent better. And ease/difficulty of learning, versatility, power moves, and online capabilities... all those things that don't factor into the Tier system... might factor highly for us, in our character choices, or how we go into a battle.

End rant.

And oh, btw, Yoshi fucking rules. Is he a top-tier character? I just explained how I wouldn't know and shouldn't care. Is he fun as all fuck to learn and play and does he kick ass? YOU BET.

I couldn't agree more. :)

Tiers are important in tournament play. Unimportant in casual play. Yoshi is high up on the list. Very solid.

Back