Will Broken Destiny get a console version?

Will part of Broken Destiny come to PS3/Xbox360?

• I hope so, and I think so.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • I hope so, but I have no idea.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • I hope so, but probably not.

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • I hope not.

Votes: 14 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If Project Soul wants to make this "end-all-be-all" Soulcalibur game, they need to do a few things first. Increase the size of people's movesets (like in SC2). Put while-landing moves back in (like in SC2). Put advance and retreat guard back in (like in SC2). Make guard crushes worth a damn, and allow you to re-GI in state (like in SC2). Make a large part of people's movesets both cancellable and delayable (like in SC2). Now that I think about it... I'm explaining Virtua Fighter here.

Why not just remake SC2? Although all of those features are very appealing, I doubt that's gonna happen in an update. Maybe SCV.

I hope that BD comes to consoles as a patch or DLC. Either way doesn't matter to me because I will buy it if it's DLC.

I think balance needs some minor tweaks, namely certain characters getting a buff. The biggest thing that needs to be fixed imo is the wonky hit detection and unexplainable whiffs. Patch up the netcode and give us something better playable online and SCIV will never leave my console.

I was thinking about the nature of so-called on-disc unlocks, and the benefits of it, and how I don't want to give those benefits up, namely the fact that people online can see and interact will all my so-called DLC.

In the likely event that Broken Destiny becomes a paid add-on for SCIV, the only way to maintain that on-disc level of convenience would be to put all of the truly new content into a mandatory patch, and then make people pay ala carte to unlock the premium pieces of it, but any basic rebalancing of the existing game would have to be free. The only problem with that is keeping the file size of the patch down, since it would be bloated with hidden content. I hope that's what they do, though.

Shout-out to my Rock Band brothers who never get to play their DLC online, ever.

It would be great if Broken Destiny becomes the ARCADE PORT!!

Then Namdai would be full of WIN!!

I think the comment made in the interview about lowering the entry level is probably regarding inputs or that whole tutorial mode. That tutorial mode thing would make it much easier for beginers to play the game and if in it they actually have a way to help beginers out with inputs that would be great. For the casual gamer it's total bs to have to search online to find out how to pull off JF's and then spend hours mastering it. Also they may have just made the timing on some inputs a little less strict to help out new comers. I know some people who wanted to play this game and other fighting games more competitively but quit because they didn't want to spend hours mastering inputs.

I think the comment made in the interview about lowering the entry level is probably regarding inputs or that whole tutorial mode. That tutorial mode thing would make it much easier for beginers to play the game and if in it they actually have a way to help beginers out with inputs that would be great. For the casual gamer it's total bs to have to search online to find out how to pull off JF's and then spend hours mastering it. Also they may have just made the timing on some inputs a little less strict to help out new comers. I know some people who wanted to play this game and other fighting games more competitively but quit because they didn't want to spend hours mastering inputs.

If someone can't perform Soulcalibur inputs they probably won't get very far in competitive gaming. Unless they play Brawl.

If someone can't perform Soulcalibur inputs they probably won't get very far in competitive gaming. Unless they play Brawl.

Honestly, Soul Calibur is an intimidating game. Whenever my crew and I are playing and there's a new person over, they WILL NOT play. They always pass. We haven't been able to get someone who doesn't already own the game to play with us. Newcomers will sit and watch the entire time, get right into it, but refuse to play because the game itself "looks complicated".

However, throw Street Fighter in and they'll play in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure what that says about Soul Calibur, but the action on screen certainly looks intense. It can and does scare away a lot of players. I'm definitely against dumbing this game down any further, but if Namco has some sort of plan to draw in new players, it can't be all bad.

Amen, brother. Amen.

In Madison, we have this girl who rolled in to a tournament one day, but is so intimidated by the way we play, she'll never enter, even though she keeps showing up every week. She's a fellow fan, and now a friend, and clever to boot, but she thinks competetive play looks unapproachable, and no mode in SCIV offered her any structured help there.

Most Soul Calibur inputs are pretty basic but I'm only talking about a few moves here and there. Personally for me it took some time to get Kilik's FOTD(but I still screw up) and JF Asura I've never been able to do. In past SC's I used to use Ivy a little but I cant do her command throws in SCIV. Also a ton of characters have combos with a lot of just inputs so if someone constantly screws up the combo it's like playing handicaped. Yea you can change characters but how many people change their main like it's nothing.(most people stick with who they like most). Also I know one move or one combo doesn't define a character(besides Hilde :p) but it suck feeling like you play a watered down version of your character. I can perform most of the JF's in the game but there are some I'm relatively certain I'll never pull off. Also I know a stick might help people who have these issues but particularly new comers won't want to whip out the cash to buy a stick and/or really feel uncomfortable using a stick.

Why not just remake SC2?
I fully agree with Jaxel on this, although I would still want the just impacts, the stun system and the soul crush/critical finish systems all in place (and new characters which would disappear if they just "remade" SC2). Beyond that, I would like for hitboxes to be fixed and a the whole A<B<8WR<A thing to get sorted out (something SC2 did worse than SC4 but still needs improvement, IMO).

SC4 looks complicated because it's a 3D game. All 3D games look more complicated, especially when compared right next to a 2D game.

Thought I would join in...

My money's on DLC. DR had two releases - the $20 game, and the $10 add-on which gave you extras. My bet is that BD will be a $10 DLC (new modes, costumes, plus the new character).
I worry about the word "balance" when it comes to Project Soul. I mean, I may base my opinions on SC4 on a SINGLE character (Talim), but when I see a character's moveset and framedata that is SOOOOO out of whack when compared to the rest of the cast, it makes me wonder about the programming skills of the entire project. You can never have played the game before, and simply consider Talim's frame data, and her lack of range, and KNOW its fucked up. If the Project Soul programmers couldn't simply LOOK at her data and know she sucked...

That and they have a history of nerfing things that shouldn't be nerfed. Let it not be forgotten that they NERFED a large chunk of Talim's moves in the transition from Soulcalibur 3 to Soulcalibur 3 Arcade Edition. Cause you know, she was too good or something.

If Project Soul wants to make this "end-all-be-all" Soulcalibur game, they need to do a few things first. Increase the size of people's movesets (like in SC2). Put while-landing moves back in (like in SC2). Put advance and retreat guard back in (like in SC2). Make guard crushes worth a damn, and allow you to re-GI in state (like in SC2). Make a large part of people's movesets both cancellable and delayable (like in SC2). Now that I think about it... I'm explaining Virtua Fighter here.

Well, it sort of reflects on how Namco approaches their characters.

They do intentionally weaken certain characters for the purpose of providing a challenge to more seasoned players (quote unquote from an old interview years ago), and intentionally strengthen others for the purpose of giving beginners a fighting chance.

I'm not saying I agree with this approach (because you can make characters simple to use but not overpowered - take Paul and Jack from their own Tekken for example), but like you, I wonder how much time Project Soul puts into game balance. There seems to be far more emphasis on extra modes and the story.

Maybe it's because Tekken is intended as an arcade competition fighter, and SC is intended as a console game? I just have this hunch that if SC was intended for arcade comp (which it won't, lest it take away from Tekken's sales), balance would be a greater priority than it is atm.

Time for a new harebrained theory:

Why is Sony getting so much support for the PSP platform all of a sudden? Because soon all future PSP releases will be downloadable, whether they get a disc release or not, and the PS3 will be getting a firmware update that lets it run downloaded PSP games, which means we can download Broken Destiny straight to our PS3's. Of course, the PSP version will have a lower polygon count than SCIV, and won't look as good in HD, but uh... whatever.

This has been a harebrained theory.

They WILL release Broken Destiny on Console... they have no reason not to, its more money for them. However, it WON'T be add-on content, they will release it as it's own disc, or a $30 download bundle like they did with T5DR.

The exact same thing could be said for the LE content being released for DLC in North America, and the LE DLC is already on the disc.

I really don't get people who act like there is no reason to dislike Namco at this point, they release one half assed balance patch that didn't fix shit. Four overpriced DLC packs already on the disc. They release those retarded as all hell weapon packs, I mean really how many people downloaded those?! 30?! I bet you most of them thought they were downloading new weapons and not just unlocking those in the game. Then they wander off to go play with their PSPs, leaving us standing here wondering when they're going to actually try to balance the game.

I want to believe they are going to release DLC, I want to be as certain as everyone else, but looking at Namco's actions in regards to SC4 up until now they're either very stupid or very evil....or they just want to sabotage themselves I don't know.

And the PSP?! REALLY?! That laughable little failure of a handheld?!

The only thing that matters about the PSP is whether it can fucking do it, and if you've played the Tekken game it got two years ago, then you know it can. Anything else is system warrior bullshit. Nobody wants to listen to the poor baby who can't afford it, except all the other poor babies who can't afford it either. Try telling an old lady with a Wii that having only one game is a problem.

Well, it sort of reflects on how Namco approaches their characters.
I think its more than that... Project Soul (SC3, SC4), which is a different team than who did SC1 and SC2, doesn't have a tendency to actually FIX things. Instead of fixing things, they take things out. For instance, advance and retreat guard are gone, most likely because it was how they fixed VC. Gnouz Guard Impact in SC3 was pretty stupid; but instead of fixing Mina's 6K Auto-GI, they just took it out. I can't even explain why while landing moves are gone, but I'm going to assume its because they were the cause of another bug that they didn't want to spend time to fix.

About Talim... I think that was intentional. Some people enjoy limited characters. Though for the rest of the cast i can't say...

Back