Would your opinion of the series change if they took it into M-rated territory?

I heard that the "fully clothed" thing as in armor/clothes breaking off is going to be taken out. so that would ease up on the mature - sexual content - rating.
I think it's a good thing that they're scrappin' the whole "armor breakin'/clothes destroyin'" mechanic [if they actually are] because the mechanic as a whole was kinda pointless. The costumes hardly changed at all...unless it was a custom costume, that is; your character would end up practically naked by the end of the make when you use a custom costume. Though, when I said the "fully clothed" line, I wasn't talkin' about that mechanic. What I was talkin' about was the female characters' default costumes as a whole, and how they "cover" them up oh, so completely [again, I'm starin' at you, Ivy; plus I'm glancin' at you too now, Taki]. I agree with you though, scrappin' the armor breakin' mechanic would ease the sexual content up a bit, but not much when the women have been "fully clothed" like this throughout the series, and have only gotten more "covered" after every iteration.

There's no real reason for blood. Blood and gore, at this point, would mostly be just aesthetic additions that add nothing to the gameplay.
For Mortal Kombat the whole blood thing started off as a gimmick, but it's become deeply ingrained into the series. Those X-Ray moves are brutal as can be, and arose from the concept of all the gore from the first game. They've become the God of War for fighting games.
For Soulcalibur as a series, there's no prerequisite for it and no reason for it. Sure, they're using weapons, but the series as a whole is inspired by jidai geki--fuedal weapon fighting dramas. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai, two of the most popular, have sword-fighting action with very little blood.

Now, I'm not saying blood would be instantly bad. But if you want to make something bloodier, you need to have a starker and darker atmosphere appropriate for it. Just adding in blood out of nowhere would be extremely alienating. SCV's atmosphere, from what we've seen so far, is very bright and very colorful--blood has very little place in it.

That's true GrayGuy7. I mean Shura's costume practically screamed, "LOOK AT MY ASS!" I was okay with talim having that tube top with those short pants but in SC4 her pants were see through and I'm thinking this is a 15 girl showing off too much. I really liked Taki's second costume in SC2 and wish they'd bring that back or something really similar. People need to realize that a woman can be sexy or really good looking without showing off a ton of skin. I think Pyrrha's cute and Cassandra(1st costume SC2) looked really badass. I hope Namco gets behind the movement of making badass female characters look a little more conservative. (the new tomb raider) Not saying every female character needs to be that way. I can't imagine Mina being fully clothed without showing at least some leg or something. just me opinion folks.

Now, I'm not saying blood would be instantly bad. But if you want to make something bloodier, you need to have a starker and darker atmosphere appropriate for it. Just adding in blood out of nowhere would be extremely alienating. SCV's atmosphere, from what we've seen so far, is very bright and very colorful--blood has very little place in it.

That's ironic in a way because they said they were looking at Tim Burton for their atmosphere.

I don't think blood and gore would add anything substantial to the game. The level of realism is pretty low anyway, adding blood for the sake of looking realistic would actually run counter to the overall style of the game, in my view.

Oh bleah, no blood, please. :X
One time I saw this guy watching an MK battle, he was commenting on it and then he saw a sudden storm of blood and gore. He's like, "I feel like a--BLUUUGGGHHH!" He nearly puked and my chest was hurting from so much inward laughter. xDDD

it doesnt need blood. Thats everyones first instinct, you cut people why dont you bleed. But if you hit a guy in the face with an axe you should die. one hit... whats the fun in that? if you want to play a game that lives in logic then go play bushido blade, and if you havent heard of it theres a reason for that.

if you want to play a game that lives in logic then go play bushido blade, and if you havent heard of it theres a reason for that.
I just went and looked that game up on Youtube. The concept's not that bad, a weapon based fighter where you have to successfully parry and block your opponents attacks to survive because you can die from 1-3 hits. I don't like how it does the matches because they seem like they could last forever on account of the screen not havin' a HUD to indicate HP or a timer. But I do like how they did their stages. I think open-ended stages would be a cool concept to implement in SC.

I like the series the way it is. If I want M rated content, I'll go play Dead or Alive or Mortal Kombat. I'm happy with how tame Soulcalibur is in comparison.

I'm rather surprised that DOA4 gets an M rating where SC4 gets a T. What makes SC so tame compared to DOA?

an 'M' rating is bad for overall sales and distribution of the game. for that reason alone, i couldn't support adding blood and guts and whatnot. i certainly would love to see it, but i'd rather have more kids owning the game.

My wife and I prefer our SoulCalibur flashy, overly-dramatic, and gore-free.

Even though I've read that it's a pretty good fighter, I choose not to play the new MK because of its gore. Gore is a well-established component of the series, though, and removing it would take away a key element MK fans enjoy.

SC never had gore, doesn't need gore, and would probably lose two fans in my home if gore were added into the mix.

In doa peope are killed and is a lot heavier on the partial nudity and sexual content. That's probably why.

The deaths are all well within the T range, the only main character "death" is if anything tamer than Tira's death in SC4. The actual in game partial nudity I was thinking was similar, but then I remembered some of the CG cutscene completion rewards. I think Christie's stripper assassin ending probably did it single handed. DOA3 was rated T.

Anyways I guess that answers my tangent question. As to SC, I find no need for it to add violence and gore that would push it into an M rating. It's stylish and violent enough in a lovable campy way without blood and guts flying everywhere. As of SC4 I think they're pushing it with the partial nudity as far as ratings go, but then I think we're far to prude to start with when it comes to rating skin shown, so if SC does for some reason slide into an M on that front it wouldn't bother me. A digital pair of boobies? Ohnoes that's gonna scar a kid for life... no, no it won't. Stupid.

I don't think the bruises would go over well. After all this game is a form of art and it wants to capture the beauty of fighting. Bruises like skin hanging off or muscle tissue showing is not beautiful in terms of SC's art style. At least that's the way I take it.

Back