Yoshimitsu JF General

Man at first I thought I was doing something wrong, nice to see it isn't just me thats having problems with this. Anyone have any good tips for doing this with the regular stick layout? I like using just the 4 buttons rather than have a bunch of side buttons set to random stuff, just feels kinda like cheating otherwise.

Try my setup with R1 as A and R2 as B+K! It's pretty natural once you get used to it!
Natural for that one move, maybe, but not for anything else (at least not for me). My R1 is currently A+B. Now, I could move that to L1, but then how would I hit A+K? It would have to be R1 plus K... doable but awkward. And I presume to hit A+B+K you now grab both R1 and R2, which is also ok but not ideal. My whole reason for button bindings is to completely eliminate the possibility of poor timing on simultaneous press; having to hit multiple buttons undermines that goal. Maybe a+b:B+K would still register as Parting Thrust? I have to test it.

Again, the obvious answer is that I have to sit down with the game on and work out a control scheme that will work for me... it’s a personal thing, haha. But thanks for the input.

Screw button mapping. :P

Here's my tips for a stick:

If you did aB+K the old plinky way by holding your index finger slightly forward with your middle and ring fingers level to pop IV ear slicer, you can still sort of do 5 earslicer the same way. Curl your index finger slightly so your fingernail hits the edge of A and the other two fingers pop B+K.

I still goof it up probably 25% of the time, but practice will fix that.

PS the uppercut -> earslicer goes really screwy if you are sidestepped or behind the opponent. wth, Project Soul....

Hey I don't know if this has been said, but you can do the parting thrust pretty easily if you have an arcade stick. Bind A to a button and B+K to a button next to it, and then glide your thumb across them. I can get it about 95% of the time.

Proof below. I did this at 3 AM so I messed up a few times, but you get the idea.

BTW my binds are

(A) (B) (K)
(G) (A) (B+K)

The second A and B+K are there only for Yoshi.

Hey I don't know if this has been said, but you can do the parting thrust pretty easily if you have an arcade stick. Bind A to a button and B+K to a button next to it, and then glide your thumb across them. I can get it about 95% of the time.

Proof below. I did this at 3 AM so I messed up a few times, but you get the idea.

BTW my binds are

(A) (B) (K)
(G) (A) (B+K)

The second A and B+K are there only for Yoshi.
thats for the tip this helps soo much, at least if the tournament being played doesnt ban button binding, but this setup is very practical.

neorussell: yes MCF is much easyer to do,like sc3 imo :)

I used...

Code:
[A]  [B]    [K]
[G]  [B+K]  [A+B+K]

The slide from this positioning is more natural, IMO. You still use your normal placing of A, but just slide away from it for the parting thrust.

i also use
A /B/ K
G/ B+K/ A+B+K

sliding A to B+K is like doing cr.MP xx RH legs with chun, so the motion isnt to awkward for me. I'm like 70% with it now.
kinda off topic, but after 3A,B [BE], a:BK sometimes the opponent is too far away to hit DNK. do I have to hit a:BK earlier or later?

nah the mapping that dragon fall posted is more practical, true you have an extra A, but i can hit the jf 95%.

can someone confirm, 2a:B 66B 66A+B

even w/ this mapping i still feel that 6k is still a better optiom for damage

nah the mapping that dragon fall posted is more practical, true you have an extra A, but i can hit the jf 95%.

can someone confirm, 2a:B 66B 66A+B

even w/ this mapping i still feel that 6k is still a better optiom for damage

Yes that combo works but iMCF 66B DNK 3b or FLEA66 is better

I think that 66A+B gives a few extra points of damage over the doorknocker option if the combo starts with MCF. 66A+B seems to miss though if you start the combo with parting thrust.

On PS3 pad :

X = B+K
[ ] = A
/\ = B
O = K
R2 = G
R1 = A+B
L2 = A+K

I have a 50% rate on good launching the parting thrust

After only being able to get it out about 50% of the time I decided to try the A = R1 - B = B+K method and now I can get it about 90%. It's still a little awkward to think about and it replaced my throw binds so I'd definitely like to master the conventional way.

The two shoulder buttons slide is very very good, I get like 90%+ with it. Unfortunately it totally messes up my bindings. The way I see it, I really want to have A+B, A+K+B, A+K, and B+G all bound to something. That leaves no room for A or B+K. If I get creative with multiple presses, I can do the following:

L1: A
L2: B+K
R1: A+B
R2: A+K

That lets me do A+B+K by hitting both triggers simultaneously, which isn’t too difficult, and still lets me slide input a:B+K with a good success rate. Unfortunately, I’ve lost my B+G grab... hm, gotta think a little more.

Reactions: mkl
The two shoulder buttons slide is very very good, I get like 90%+ with it. Unfortunately it totally messes up my bindings. The way I see it, I really want to have A+B, A+K+B, A+K, and B+G all bound to something. That leaves no room for A or B+K. If I get creative with multiple presses, I can do the following:

L1: A
L2: B+K
R1: A+B
R2: A+K

That lets me do A+B+K by hitting both triggers simultaneously, which isn’t too difficult, and still lets me slide input a:B+K with a good success rate. Unfortunately, I’ve lost my B+G grab... hm, gotta think a little more.

Pressing two triggers for A+B+K is pretty smart I'm going to start using that for a bit to see if it's comfortable.

I really think now they should patch it to the way it was in 4.
There is no way to do that move on pad unless you totally mess up the bindings.
When I binded it to square and x it became like a easiest just frame ever, but there's no way I could ever play like that.

Edit:
I have finally figured it out. lol
I have everything mapped like in SC4 (L1 B+K, L2 B+G, R1 A+B, R2 A+K) and I can do partying thrust almost 100% consistently.
I slide my thumb over A like I would do with iMCF but in the direction of empty space above the square/X button. This way I'm releasing A fast enough to do the move.

I was unfortunate enough to lose the wireless USB dongle for my stick a couple weeks ago, so I'm on controller until my eightarc arrives tomorrow...I don't usually button bind (old Tekken habit), but for this game I may have to start doing it.

Currently on my DualShock, I've bound L1 to A, L2 to B+K, and R1 to A+B+K. I hold my right hand over the controller, not under (again, Tekken style). The left shoulder buttons I use solely for Parting Thrust with a sweep of my left index finger. I've tried various methods of using L1 and B+K normally to do A+B+K, but it wasn't coming out consistently (because I do Parting Thrust with a sweep, I'm not going to use L2 with my middle finger to press both shoulder buttons at once, which also only tenuously works). Hence the A+B+K on R1, which I can actually slide to with my right index finger (from triangle to R1) as necessary.

Don't know that I'll keep the same/a similar layout when I get a stick again, but I've found it the only way to do Parting Thrust.

MCF is another story...still can't get the hang of doing it consistently on a controller. []

Edit:
I have finally figured it out. lol. I have everything mapped like in SC4 (L1 B+K, L2 B+G, R1 A+B, R2 A+K) and I can do partying thrust almost 100% consistently. I slide my thumb over A like I would do with iMCF but in the direction of empty space above the square/X button. This way I'm releasing A fast enough to do the move.
This is exactly how I had my SCIV layout, for which I did Parting Thrust via tap A, tap L1 (fast). Is that how you’re performing it? I’m also missing a B+G grab so I’ll probably have to go back to this setup. Are you using L2+R2 for Edge moves? I thought this was a clever solution, but in practice it ended up not being the most reliable for me...

EDIT: I’m making a separate topic for button layouts since I think it’s a useful bit of info for people to discuss, even outside of the specific issue of Parting Thrust.

Has anybody been able to get it consistently (or even at all) on a stick WITHOUT button mapping? I can honestly say I tried it for about 20 minutes straight and got it 0 times... Scrub status.

since i have some big ass hands, i used my left thumb to press a and then my right thumb to press b+k on the controller. I just use my left thumb and slide across a, then press b+k normally. It's all about how fast you can release a, kind of like just guard.

Back