Z.W.E.I. General Discussion/Q&A

i'm not seeing how this character can be good. All of his EIN stuff seems like its easily defeatable, or maybe i'm just missing something. Does Zwei have any defense against anopponent just sidesteping and attacking after 4[A]? If only the recovery from the summon was faster, or at least 4A (no EIN) had faster recovery. Same thing with 1{B} but against fast TCing moves. What are you supposed to do against that? Yeah you can just block after doing only 1B, but there's no offensive option for Zwei, and his punishment sucks so you can't even do much to punish their punishment attempts.

So since most of his EIN moves are apparently just gimmicks, what does that really leave him? Just a bunch of slowish, unsafe normals. Seems like you really gotta outplay your opponent to win.
Honestly this is what I'm worried about, I've been playing ZWEI since Day 1, and it honestly hasn't gotten much better in terms of finding viable strategies. For the most part, it just takes too much effort to get a win with him, 4[A] and 1{B} can't be practically used to make everything safer. Totally agree on the lack of punishment and unsafe normals... I need some fresh tech to mix things up XD

In the process of trying to find a new main.... will give my inputs when i have more time in actual vs playing field

as for now....

I find that using his basics and staying at mid range as much as possible for defense

and going in for throw/mid mixup when you have an obvious advantage might be the style that fits ZWEI the best.. but really gotta try it out...

another thing is you really need to know your opponent's style by a lot.. and i feel that if you're not good at observing habits and reading your opponent... this character isn't suited for you.... if you don't have the patience to turtle.. this character might not be for you either.... (not saying turtling is the way to play with him.. but there will be times when you need to...)

it's unfortunate that his throw range isn't that good because he's got such a strong throw game... with decent front throws... A throw leading into massive combos... and B throw... if you know they'll tech or not will lead to either big damage (if they stay down) or lead to tech trap that gives you great frame advantage.

there's still a lot of stuff to be uncovered with ZWEI..... that's not covered here yet

will get back when i actually have more experience

-LAU

mabye it's alredy known, but jsut in case:
b+k(BE),Knife fiend B (56 dmg, if add 2k it's 68dmg)
b+k(be),b+k(on block), Knife fiend B, 66a+b (77dmg)

i don't think it's realy useful(mabye near walls), but he have it.
B+K doesn't give advantage on block.

Been playing around with his B+K BE in practice. Knife fiend B ofcoure lead to an unblockable, you can follow it up with 1k or 66a+b. For 70ish.
Now if they try to step out of the unblockable and you do knife fiend A you can get some awesome damage. Following it up with 66a+b does 109. Or you can CE into the usual finish for 174(!) on a run counter, or 169 on a normal hit.

Is there a certain way I have to practice this in training mode? Everytime I try I always end up getting the 3b blocked.
Set it on guard. That's it. You just have to hold down A the whole time and do knife fiend B while holding A.
After that you should be able to land a 3B to combo after EIN if you're close enough.

Since playing him Day 1 he really needs the meter to be effective. Get through the first round with abused strings and basics then when you have meter whore the crap out of his b+k BE mixups. He definitely needs the momentum to be effective and he's only going to be played by really solid players in tournaments in the long run.

Might have to play him like Keev's NM and just do unblockable cancels all day.

I'm surprised there is no thread for this move yet but i cant really figure out where to use it. Will it be part of a string of combos, is it for tech traps, or maybe it has some decent properties that help in a mixup game. Let's discuss this mystery move.

I throw it our sparingly against rushdown characters. If I'm getting my space taken away or am getting against the edge, I'll try to throw this out, though the hitbox and safety are terrible.

Here's my 66B+K tech.

B+K BE 66B+K UV A+B is like 128 damage or something. Too bad I've never gotten it to work and the A+B likes to whiff a lot too, but it is possible.

4(A) 66B+K R makes it safe. I've had some success with gimmick, but I think people also pick up on it pretty fast. I usually get interrupted out of any 4(A) setup that doesn't instant release. Maybe I'm just bad at Zwei.

I don't know what 66A is on block, but I've landed 66B+K follow ups afterward.

I suspect that it can also get you out of some canned 50/50 mix-ups that other members of the roster have a difficult time with, but I don't know of any yet. The combined range and speed seem to make a 2A interrupt a safer option in most cases.

Zwei is definitely my favorite character so far. The whole concept with the wolf and a small sword really appeals to me.

However, Zwei can turn out to be really tricky when you're up against certain characters. I have a couple of friends who are playing Mitsurugi really aggressively and for the most time I don't stand a chance. I'm fairly new to this game and Zwei might not be the best choice for a beginner, but I still consider myself to be good enough to beat most characters I'm up against. To put it simply; I will not give up.

Can someone explain why Mitsurugi is such a pain in the ass for me? What am I doing wrong? My problem seem to be that he is always keeping distance and attacks in rapid pace. Most moves from Zwei are pretty slow and if you're not using the wolf it's hard to reach the opponent when he's at distance. So should I wait for him to make the wrong moves and then punish him? What's my best tactic when I meet fast characters who like to play aggressively?

Please let me beat my friend! I'm almost in tears here. T.T

Can someone explain why Mitsurugi is such a pain in the ass for me? What am I doing wrong? My problem seem to be that he is always keeping distance and attacks in rapid pace. Most moves from Zwei are pretty slow and if you're not using the wolf it's hard to reach the opponent when he's at distance. So should I wait for him to make the wrong moves and then punish him? What's my best tactic when I meet fast characters who like to play aggressively?

Then use the wolf (Ein) to reach the opponent. I have no problems staying across the screen and creating a barrier with Ein... especially if I have the life lead.

Mitsu can be tough because he can tech crouch some of your setups and he has good punishment if you're not careful. You really need to know when Mitsu is safe and when he's not. If he doesn't have meter, rush him down with a barrage of frame advantage. Mitsu can't do much about that.

As soon as he has meter, you have to be careful about what you try to punish. However, Mitsu is slow compared to most of the cast, so train the Mitsu player to respect your Ein follow ups (use no delay, then a slight delay). Once that happens, go into your pseudo-unblockable setups and the like.

Then use the wolf (Ein) to reach the opponent. I have no problems staying across the screen and creating a barrier with Ein... especially if I have the life lead.

Mitsu can be tough because he can tech crouch some of your setups and he has good punishment if you're not careful. You really need to know when Mitsu is safe and when he's not. If he doesn't have meter, rush him down with a barrage of frame advantage. Mitsu can't do much about that.

As soon as he has meter, you have to be careful about what you try to punish. However, Mitsu is slow compared to most of the cast, so train the Mitsu player to respect your Ein follow ups (use no delay, then a slight delay). Once that happens, go into your pseudo-unblockable setups and the like.

Thanks DrDogg!

As I said I'm new to this game (and fighting games in general) but I'm gonna give those tactics a try. I really appreciate all the help I can get.

I didnt see this mentioned but i also didnt look to hard, Zwei's Wr K RO on CH.

I wrote this a while ago after having a match agaist Tira were i won by RO with this move. I recently tried to do it again, to find out that it doesn't RO on CH or at all and didnt mean to mislead or troll anybody with this. Im guessing when i got the RO the Tira player was doing a Jump move and just happend to RO.

here's something that i've discovered.. i haven't seen it posted yet.. so i'm taking credit for it lol

1(B)hold it till he's automatically released, A+G, 4B BE, 66A+B, 1B- does about 100 damage...

here's a vid

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm trying to figure something out and it's driving me nuts.

So when you do B+K BE, Zwei's B+G only does 30 damage 'cause Ein doesn't participate. HOWEVER, it seems that with perfect timing, you CAN get Ein to hit during the B+G throw for about 76 damage. The problem is that I can't figure out the right amount of delay, since you can't do a B throw while holding B+K.

If this can be done consistently, it'd give Zwei an amazing mixup whenever he does B+K BE, since damn near anything into Ein's punch will do at least 70~80 damage (3AA, BB, A+G, etc.).

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I'm trying to figure something out and it's driving me nuts.

So when you do B+K BE, Zwei's B+G only does 30 damage 'cause Ein doesn't participate. HOWEVER, it seems that with perfect timing, you CAN get Ein to hit during the B+G throw for about 76 damage. The problem is that I can't figure out the right amount of delay, since you can't do a B throw while holding B+K.

If this can be done consistently, it'd give Zwei an amazing mixup whenever he does B+K BE, since damn near anything into Ein's punch will do at least 70~80 damage (3AA, BB, A+G, etc.).

I was just about to post another tag team throw option!! you read my brain. :) if i can mix that in with a B+G throw.. i'll be golden and having them duck when i'm up close!! here's a video of what the B+K BE , A+G looks like. does about 85 damage.

here's something that i've discovered.. i haven't seen it posted yet.. so i'm taking credit for it lol

1(B)hold it till he's automatically released, A+G, 4B BE, 66A+B, 1B- does about 100 damage...

here's a vid

Nice find, if you get them to start blocking 1B consistently this is a nice mix-up opportunity.

I found a really nice gimmick involving B+K BE.

If you activate the BE and follow up with another B+K, Ein comes out to do the usual B+K attack. After that though Ein actually does pop up once more to do the earlier BE move. In case the B+K hit and you got a kd, Ein will be late enough to not whiff above the grounded opponent. Pretty nice mindfuck.

So far B+K is the only move I found this works with, maybe there's more to it.

Back