A tale of souls and swords, eternally retold (SC6 edition)

Hi,

First off, i am alive thank you !
Regarding CAS, I won't resume i think i forgot most of my secret sauce techniques, and i don't think i will go through the hassle of creating / editing / posting which has become a chore to me tbh. I truly admire that some of you still stick around and produce such great and imaginative stuff, but i moved on, as did many others. So i am just throwing in a drawing that i did recently, trying to hone my skills in Digital Painting towards a more realistic approach yet closer to caricature or painting than to a 121 rendition.
I use Krita and a specific drawing and blending technique using a ref picture in the corner of the Krita workspace (credits to S. Tepes) and it's both pretty fun and quick (meaning : 4+ hours for this one)

View attachment 93316

I want to do an artbook with all my recent drawings. including some of those. I haven't even started :)
Well, the important thing is that you are still finding time to indulge your artistic pursuits. Any artist who works in more conventional, free form, and challenging mediums understands that something like CaS is a fun but ultimately limiting indulgence that is highly variable in how long it can hold the creator's interest. And the community evaporated particularly quickly on this entry--a symptom of SCVI's overall limited sticking power, no matter how much it has been built up as a supposedly strong entry in the series.

So it's understandable when anyone decides the cost-benefit ratio is unfavorable at this point, particularly when you factor in the time it takes to curate and share content and the diminishing returns in terms of the volume of community feedback and creative exchange. I hit that point myself rather early on this time around, though I have enjoyed a brief second wind recently, inspired in part by the persistence of Glitch and some others in plucking away and exploiting some creative new techniques; the amount of community product may be tiny already, but the average quality is higher than ever at least. I'd hoped I could finagle an extra couple of designs out of you too, with some appeals to ego, but if you're gonna be all adult and responsible about your time, FINE! :D But I will expect to see you slinging some designs come SCVII, mind you! ;)

First off thanks for taking the time to comment and i feel the admiration and respect you have for me and that humbles me...
Ah, tu es mon frere dans creation, Vil, tu le sait!

just doing live drawing sessions with kids based on what they love and get their reaction and thanks.
They usually come up with some character they like and i take it from there and create my own variation.
Ahh, that sounds like fun! Personally, I get pretty focused and drawn in when I work on art--which is weird, because when it comes to discussing just about any other process, I'm happy to operate, demonstrate, communicate and have nice feedback in the experience. Almost any experience really--intellectual, professional, personal. But art is the one thing that draws me more into contemplative silence, at least in the creation phase. Afterwards I am happy to elaborate and pick apart and explain--albeit after the fact of the actual artistic effort, it must be said!

If you want to see more SC stuff from me, maybe if you haven't, check out my old thread, of course the presentation is sub-par, and if you have then you know all about my SC creation journey so far :
You totally nailed the ego trip everyone has to some degree posting here, it's how humans are,

Alas, I went through almost all of those pages a while ago: there may be a few in the middle of the two backthreads I looked through that I missed, but I mostly went through all of your stuff hosted here. Actually, I was sufficiently impressed with enough people here that I read through all (or close to all) of the threads of probably 20+ people, and of those I would say there are 10-12 whom I would consider to be in the uppermost tier--who are all at about a roughly even level of capability and are more separated by style, and a bit by particular talents.

If I was pressed, could I pick out a few names from that list that are especially good at delivering at a high level consistently? Yeah, but I prefer not to do that, tu sais. It's already presumptuous (if not pompous) enough to have such a short list, when you consider there were close to 300 threads in the subforum for the SCVI era. ;) I mean, don't get me wrong, I have about as informed a perspective on this topic as they come, I'd like to think, so of course I have opinions. But the people who most impressed me have mostly heard from me repeatedly, so I rely on that as an indicator of my esteem, rather than declarations or rankings.

All that said, I do think you are one of the best and really did distinguish yourself as maybe the most clever early thinker (at least for this community) in terms of pushing the utility of objects, in much the same way Glitch has more recently stood out as discovering niche approaches to surface work. Indeed, you both stood out in having unique styles and out-of-the-box thinking. The sad truth is that in this "medium" (if you can even properly call it that), the technical ceiling is so low, that eventually with even moderate artistic talent a dedicated creator can max out the options after a few years of tinkering. And some of us have been doing this in iterations of the editor for closing on 20 years now. So what ends up standing out to me are people who surprise me, who show ambition, and who have clear artistic vision.

Of course il will be there given a SC7 (which i doubt will happen anytime soon)
Je pense 2026 a moins, j'ai peur.... But I'll hold you to that anyway. ;)

I have been supporting this game in my own non-competitive way for many years, buying almost all DLCs and having a blast with the editor and the game and this forum too...you might find very funny SC5 games on my youtube before the compilation videos era...
Yeah, you know, I went big on supporting VI: bought multiple copies for multiple platforms, all of the DLC...and honestly, in the final analysis, definitely my least favorite (and for me, the least inspired feeling) game in the main (numbered) series, going back at least a while. Honestly, I think you need to go back to SCIII to find as big a case of mixed bag and design exceeding the grasp of development resources, leading to an uneven experience that has a lot on offer, but is crippled in it's fundamentals.

Vi i not an awful game, by an means. It had some good balance, lots of interesting ideas, and a lot of potential overall, but it fumbled a number of things I consider essentials. Creation actually carried my interest much more (and at a much earlier point in my time with the game) than ever before: usually comepetive multiplayer has been my main thing, and then creation a quaint, but slowly improved, artistic distraction that got a fair bit of interest from me as the years draw on. Here, they lost me on the gameplay, experience, and overall presentation for the core features so early, I got drawn into the creation while the community was still somewhat hot for it.

I will post a few random drawings here showing different techniques then i might not stick around too much, sorry for that :)

TRAD. PENCIL ART :

View attachment 93327

TRAD. SHADOW ART (BACKGROUND I DIDN'T DRAW TO BE FAIR)

View attachment 93328

DIGITAL OIL PAINTING ART

View attachment 93329

Merci !

Take care Vil! Meilleures souhait!

Last edited:
I just looked at your latest posts. You really have the creative fiber in you. You can be proud of your contribution, which is one of the most remarkable, talented...I'm waiting for the next episode of SC7 to still enjoy your indispensable presence.

First off thanks for taking the time to comment and i feel the admiration and respect you have for me and that humbles me...
You totally nailed the ego trip everyone has to some degree posting here, it's how humans are, but if i take drawings, for instance i take immense pleasure of just doing live drawing sessions with kids based on what they love and get their reaction and thanks.
They usually come up with some character they like and i take it from there and create my own variation.

If you want to see more SC stuff from me, maybe if you haven't, check out my old thread, of course the presentation is sub-par, and if you have then you know all about my SC creation journey so far :

Of course il will be there given a SC7 (which i doubt will happen anytime soon)
I have been supporting this game in my own non-competitive way for many years, buying almost all DLCs and having a blast with the editor and the game and this forum too...you might find very funny SC5 games on my youtube before the compilation videos era...
and yes, i don't have neither time nor willpower to do any single CAS, i moved on to better more-open world games like PS5 Ghosts of Tsushima for instance which is amazing.
I did try to make some Halo CAS upon Halo Infinite launch, which totally blew me away btw (single player)

I will post a few random drawings here showing different techniques then i might not stick around too much, sorry for that :)
Sorry for the bad quality, i use the snipping tool for more convenience...

TRAD. PENCIL ART :

View attachment 93327

TRAD. SHADOW ART (BACKGROUND I DIDN'T DRAW TO BE FAIR)

View attachment 93328

DIGITAL OIL PAINTING ART

View attachment 93329

Merci !

So glad to hear you're doing well Vil, and your art is beautiful!

This one is admittedly kinda weird, it's a straight ball-pen drawing i did in one go, while being in a rather bad mood.
I don't know why, but most peeps i showed it to really liked it.

View attachment 93688
When I look, it reminds me of a record cover in the iron maiden style, minus the color. I appreciate this creature straight out of the infernal abysses à la lovecraft and this human head decapitated by the unnameable. The monochrome accentuates with this combination of red this vision of horror that I love. Your bad mood is of a creepy nature

GOOD made the troll
ain't a troll, but an orc, but maybe you meant your reply as some kind of trolling just to see the orc's reaction :))
beware though, he is kinda grumpy as you can judge from the drawing, you got balls to call him a troll (notice the thingy dangling from one of the club's spikes haha)

ain't a troll, but an orc, but maybe you meant your reply as some kind of trolling just to see the orc's reaction :))
beware though, he is kinda grumpy as you can judge from the drawing, you got balls to call him a troll (notice the thingy dangling from one of the club's spikes haha)
Indeed, it is an unpardonable offense for an orc.
The sentence is expeditious and final to restore an exemplary honor

Indeed, it is an unpardonable offense for an orc.
The sentence is expeditious and final to restore an exemplary honor
I'm the troll, because I'm about to say this to my friend: Vil, what is it with you and the genitals? Est-ce un truc francais, dont je n'ai jamais entendu parler? Je ne veux pas etre ignorant culturellement!

Edit: And anyway, Vil, what we really want to know is...can you build him as a CaS?

Last edited:
I'm the troll, because I'm about to say this to my friend: Vil, what is it with you and the genitals? Est-ce un truc francais, dont je n'ai jamais entendu parler? Je ne veux pas etre ignorant culturellement!

Edit: And anyway, Vil, what we really want to know is...can you build him as a CaS?
Yes indeed. There are a lot of french expressions around genitals but let's stop right there before we get moderated. Of course i could but already did all kinds of orcs and uruk hai so don't provorc me :) you can try though if you want !

Credits to DrCreateaCas for the helmet tutorial, i did change a few things and made my own tweaks to the helmet and overall design, but he inspired me to try what is probably one of the most challenging RCas i ever did, probably even harder to pull off than my Mando or my Predator.
Could have refined with a bit more sticker slots

Here is a couple of pics, i also made sure he looks good without his infamous helmet, let me know if you wanna see a pic of his face

1661106049777.png

1661106084336.png

The glow is not an aftereffect, the saber looks like that provided you use the right blade / blade color / pose / lighting / angle, kina like a light katana :) Only one combination of those will achieve that effect in game and in ed.

1661106157889.png

I might post some video, and some pics of his alt style if you like him.
I got a couple bonus pics ready too :)

Vil

Big props to both of you: that is certainly a better Darth Vader than I would have thought could be made with the current editor. Makes me wish we had seen more collaborations here at the height of activity.

Thanks ! I must say after all those years honing my skills (and then getting rusty :) it is always a pleasure to be struck silly by another creator and get inspiration from him. As i said CAS is a very time-consuming hobby and doing my own Vader took a good chunk of my saturday morning, i mean hours of work.

So you my good friends, here is a lot of bonus pictures (and a bonus CAS that you will find either goofy or genius idk :)
as a token of my gratitude and to DrCreateaCAS (and RustedBlade) for pushing me to repost some CAS after a while.

A star wars themed video will be posted on youtube and here at a later date when i get time to work on it.

Dark Lord of the Sith bonus pics :

Upper Eq break (the eye effect is only possible with a very special race and a 2 eye color choice, one of my Jedi CAS tricks :)
1661146793545.png

This stage suits him well in-game...
1661147196604.png

E-Vader ! / ALT STYLE (GROH) moveset suits him well, and he is using Darth Maul Double-Bladed Light Saber :)
1661146887601.png

Highs and Manda-lows
1661146967699.png

Introducing Mando remastered, now he is using Beskad, the beskar made sword !
Bounty notice in his hand, will be delivered to the target before the fight, or just discards it, because this is the way :)

The glow effect is not added, again, a color / lighting / angle trickery for some added Star Wars Vibe

1661147723843.png

1661147873161.png

1661147913107.png

1661147946449.png

Bonus CAS : ANUBIS
An addition to my egyptian roster.

Remember this drawing of him i made :

1661149337194.png

Now it never really worked with the wolf head for me, so i tried a sea-lightly different approach this time :)
Don't know if it is good, but should make you giggle at the very least...
Four different animals in this CAS !

1661149486121.png

1661149519755.png

1661149553141.png

Probably post a vid as well later on, as Hwang style with all the magic effects fits an egyptian god just good and i never used that style before on any of my egyptian CAS.

Voilà c'est tout les amis ! Merci

Drop the youtube page so i can sub. That mando looks amazing!
Thanks ! I must say after all those years honing my skills (and then getting rusty :) it is always a pleasure to be struck silly by another creator and get inspiration from him. As i said CAS is a very time-consuming hobby and doing my own Vader took a good chunk of my saturday morning, i mean hours of work.

So you my good friends, here is a lot of bonus pictures (and a bonus CAS that you will find either goofy or genius idk :)
as a token of my gratitude and to DrCreateaCAS (and RustedBlade) for pushing me to repost some CAS after a while.

A star wars themed video will be posted on youtube and here at a later date when i get time to work on it.

Dark Lord of the Sith bonus pics :

Upper Eq break (the eye effect is only possible with a very special race and a 2 eye color choice, one of my Jedi CAS tricks :)
View attachment 94163

This stage suits him well in-game...
View attachment 94166

E-Vader ! / ALT STYLE (GROH) moveset suits him well, and he is using Darth Maul Double-Bladed Light Saber :)
View attachment 94164

Highs and Manda-lows
View attachment 94165

Introducing Mando remastered, now he is using Beskad, the beskar made sword !
Bounty notice in his hand, will be delivered to the target before the fight, or just discards it, because this is the way :)

The glow effect is not added, again, a color / lighting / angle trickery for some added Star Wars Vibe

View attachment 94169

View attachment 94170

View attachment 94171

View attachment 94172

Credits to DrCreateaCas for the helmet tutorial, i did change a few things and made my own tweaks to the helmet and overall design, but he inspired me to try what is probably one of the most challenging RCas i ever did, probably even harder to pull off than my Mando or my Predator.
Could have refined with a bit more sticker slots

Here is a couple of pics, i also made sure he looks good without his infamous helmet, let me know if you wanna see a pic of his face

View attachment 94146

View attachment 94147
The glow is not an aftereffect, the saber looks like that provided you use the right blade / blade color / pose / lighting / angle, kina like a light katana :) Only one combination of those will achieve that effect in game and in ed.

View attachment 94148

I might post some video, and some pics of his alt style if you like him.
I got a couple bonus pics ready too :)

Vil
Impressive, very impressive, young jedi

Back