Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

WOW! I did catch a glimpse of Aeon. 4B follow up after 66A looks ok. Hopefully it's guaranteed if 66A hits. The tweaks for every character looks solid. Well at least trailer wise lol. I guess Namco is actually going to follow up on this game. Thank you for the video posting :)

WOW! I did catch a glimpse of Aeon. 4B follow up after 66A looks ok. Hopefully it's guaranteed if 66A hits. The tweaks for every character looks solid. Well at least trailer wise lol. I guess Namco is actually going to follow up on this game. Thank you for the video posting :)

I don't think that 4B after 66A was guaranteed, it was a counter hit. You can see Patroklos try to attack after getting hit with 66A.

Sources: http://www.soularchive.jp/SC5/adjust/index.html
https://sdtekken.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/soulcalibur_v_battle_system_update_march_2012.pdf

-4A (Symplegades): more difficult to evade sideways.

-B.B.B (Turnus Style Furious Drought): lengthened opponent's freeze on 2nd attack. 3rd attack can no longer be evaded with ukemi.

-6bA+B+K (Sandland Battalion): decreased damage (50→30).

-3B (Rising Grit): changed to maintain distance on block.

-1B (Mezentius Style Camel Blow): lengthened opponent's freeze on hit or block.

-4B (Sand Gale Dart): created distance after normal hit and block. Lengthened opponent's freeze on hit or block. Opponent falls down on counter hit.

-While standing A.B (Desert Carrefour): opponent no longer faces backwards on 1st attack hit.

-66 or 33 or 99A (Grit Draft): shortened freeze for performing the move. 66A maintains distance on hit.

-66B (Camilla Style Dune Riser ~ Sand Winger): During Sand Winger K (Atomic Revenger) can be delayed longer.

-A+G (Mezentius Style Sand Tomb): lengthened attack reach. Same change to B+G (Mezentius Style Santana Storm) and 214B+G (Mezentius Style Reptile Rumble).

Heh, interesting. I've got a lot I want to say, but I'm just going to wait until I can get in the lab with this patch. Thanks for posting this MJ.

66a and 1b safer are great buffs! seems like a very interesting character now, altough still far from the top. throw buffs is very interesting too

4A- Cool buff, but unless it also got more vertical range it's not really a big deal.
BBB- Good.
6B BE- Retarded nerf but really doesn't matter all that match in the grand scheme of things (unless range got buffed crazy amounts and it's just not mentioned. i'll take that trade)
3B- I don't entirely understand this- does this mean there's no more pushout? This could honestly break him competitively. I was one of the few on here that thought Aeon was a solid mid, judging by the pre-patch stuff- the buffs in this patch don't seem to make up for the removal of 3B pushout ON PAPER. Lab testing might tell a different story, of course.
1B- Sounds like more frame advantage/safer. As it should have been.
4B- This is like my favorite LM move and I'm so happy to see these buffs. nnnnnnggghhh
WS AB- Well that sucks. I loved the safe turn around on WS A.
66A- I do not understand the wording. No pushout? :/
66B- Bigger hitconfirm. It already had a huge hit confirm, so it's really just a change for scrubs, I guess.
Throw range- oh thank god.

I'm pretty sure for 3B opponents won't move backwards on block anymore. One nerf that I extremely don't like since it's his staple poking tool. I guess 66A is good considering he possibly has better frame advantage on hit now that we have less cooldown and opponents don't move backwards on hit.

Seeing these changes just confirms in my head that he's, more or less, a whiff punisher. Just wished they could've made SW felt more complete of a stance. Either way, I'll look before making big opinions.

I was all on board for these changes until you mentioned "maintained distance on block" probably means no more pushback.

That would actually be a very good thing if they improved the safety of a number of his close range attacks, but, well...

66A isn't safer, but it causes no pushback on hit anymore, which is good. Now you can can actually take advantage of the +2 on hit that you get. It's good they figured that out because till now, with the pushback, you pretty much had no options at the distance you were. Whatever you would try would be out of range and if you tried 66A again, they could interrupt it as you were getting there. That was one of his major issues , actually. Now you can probably like AA after 66A on hit. And that's good.

Increased grab range is sweet, of course. He's gonna throw all day now. My apologies to fanboys, but a nerf on his 6B$ makes sense. It's i15 and the damage was just ridiculous. Get over it. 1B$ is still there to do damage. Also even though it pains my heart, I understand the nerf on 3B. That move basically never got punished for the huge reward it would give. That just makes it fair. And it's still only -14, meaning the risk/reward is still worth it in most situations.

I don't really care about BBB. It just makes sense that they would fix it. Though at i20 you usually have better options. But who knows, it might find some use now. 4A is lol. It just looks cool. No but seriously it might work after 66A if they try to step at close range, etc. The buff to 4B is pretty sweet though. Now there's gonna be a point to use that after a frame trap and not just to look cool. Though his frame trap game is almost inexistant it can still interrupt stuff I guess.

For WR A,B it sucks I guess. But if you're still at +12 on hit it's not that big of a deal:)
And for fly K I'm sorry but I really don't see the point yet. They can just step it so what's the point of delaying it? I don't know maybe it'll turn out to be useful.

So basically he has ups and downs. Gotta start playing smarter with 3B in exchange of having a better 66A. I can take that. Looking forward to adjust my gameplay to tomorrow's competition.

Tbh, I didn't use 3B as a poke that much anyway so I'll gladly take the improved 66A and throw range over it. I have fun derping with BBB too so it's nice that it's no longer completely pointless as an attack. Judging from the notes, Namco seems to realize that Aeon is better as a midrange wiff punisher than a close up brawler, so I think a lot of the buffs and nerfs reflect that.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to testing him out on Wednesday!

I wasn't expecting a slew of buffs that would vault him into top-tier, nor did I want them, so these notes I can live with. Reptile pretty much said most of what I was going to say, especially the "buff" to sand winger K, I don't really see the point of that either.

It's hard to get a feel for this stuff on paper, especially with the weird wording in these patch notes, for example:

-66 or 33 or 99A (Grit Draft): shortened freeze for performing the move. 66A maintains distance on hit.

What the hell is shortened freeze for performing the move? I assumed it meant faster start up frames, but people in the chat room told me I was wrong last night, *shrug*

It's really annoying when English patch notes have to be deciphered -_-

I'm actually happy with these changes, especially the buffed grab range. The only thing that saddens me is no more backturn on WS A, B. No more backthrow setups. But whatever, the other changes are pretty welcome.

So now that I have some time:

-4A: This is nice but I'm fairly certain that you'll still have to be pretty much rubbing navels with the opponent for it to hit.

-B.B.B: I'm glad it locks people down a bit more, but I still won't use it as I'm sure the last B is JG/GI/Step bait.

-6bA+B+K: AHHHHH DAMNIT. My free ~90 damage for an i15 is now only ~70.

-3B: No pushback on this is a big nerf to me. True it's only -14 on block, but that just means those dirty Grecians will stab me more often now.

-1B: So we get more block stun/hit stun on this, I wonder how much... like will we be using it like Pyr's use 4B?

-4B: This I like. Pushback, more block stun/hit stun AND it KNDs on CH. I'll be using this a lot more now.

-While standing A.B: Booooooooo, the BT from the A made it so good for screwing with people, like Reptile I wonder if it'll still be +12 or not...

-66 or 33 or 99A: Quicker execution is what I'm interpreting here and I'm thinking by ohhhh 3 frames making it an i16 (wasn't Lizardman's 66A i16 in SCIV?). That'd be nice, eh? hehe... The less pushback I'm not happy about as I don't really want people up close to me and away from the 'mid range danger zone' that I like to hover at. Oh well, I'm overall happy if the move is faster.

-66B, K: I think this is a pointless thing to change, but whatever, I'll gladly take more leeway to hit confirm, why not.

-Throw Range Increase: Hell-GODDAMN-Yes. This is my favorite of the changes. He's a large framed character, why was he throwing like a small? A FINE buff!

I'm thinking the wording on 66A is implying it's a little safer on block, but I could be wrong

Yea I believe so after talking to a few people about it, faster recovery frames, so he recovers faster on both hit and block.

-66 or 33 or 99A: Quicker execution is what I'm interpreting here and I'm thinking by ohhhh 3 frames making it an i16 (wasn't Lizardman's 66A i16 in SCIV?). That'd be nice, eh? hehe... The less pushback I'm not happy about as I don't really want people up close to me and away from the 'mid range danger zone' that I like to hover at. Oh well, I'm overall happy if the move is faster.

I love the change to 66A actually, if he recovers faster on hit and no push back, you can actually take advantage of the plus frames on hit. I actually like getting up close with Aeon.

GGs to Reptile tonight. Man, felt like a scrub quite a few times there, you definitely know some good setups and how to get into someone's head, and I really commend you for the just guarding of 66A and such. Hope I didn't do too badly there.

Though I should play you more (and learn to not care about the win-ratio, I was beating myself up there), it could help rid me of a few of my bad habits since you know Aeon, and just a few other things I do too. Such as I find myself still trying to SC4 step g sometimes, and that was giving you free 66A counter hits.

And lastly, I finally know what it feels like to get hit by 1B BE ring outs, though I'll still have no pity doing it on others =)

Back