Asta Match-up List

Hey, here are the characters which I think are the worst match ups for this big guy in order, following these chars there are the Alexander family, which gives him hard time, but the advantage is not as notorious as with these 3 chars IMO.

1.-Cervantes: Asta depends on grabs to deal big damage and his CH 6B and 22_88B, but Cervantes just doesn't care, I've been playing Cervantes a lot lately, and playing against a couple of great Asta players, and I've been connecting Cerv's B+K on reaction to his 22B, also, when in need, Cervantes can punish 22B, Bullrush, and a lot of more things with his CE, the MU feels like 7-3 for Cervantes.

2.-Natsu: This is a no brainer, the b***h, it depends on the player to take advantage of Natsu's adavantage in this MU, the damage output of Natsu is great, and her speed allows her to do some crazy frame traps on the big guy.

3.-Mitsu: Poking, range and speed is strong in Mitsu, also, bullrush be is hard to apply when fighting Mitsu, so it's not so easy to condition a good Mitsu player to stand still, Mitsu's 33K is a great tool vs Asta, as it's fast enough and in block, Asta's option ain't great, at most, Asta can trade with 2K I think with Mitsu's 2A, you will have to guess most of the time.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to play the golem again. Even though I hate this fifth Calibur with a passion, it seems my love for Astaroth is even stronger haha

I left the game on the shelves for more than 6 months so now i'm trying to grasp any changes in the metagame but so far not much has changed and the tier list seems to have evolved in what I foresaw.

I agree with Lolo about those 3 characters, Cervantes Natsu and particulary Mitsu are hell for the big guy.

I also think Alpha is a really horrible match-up as long as the Alpha can get his staple combos consistantly and punish throw with maximum efficiency (aka FC3A+B). 33B and 66B makes zoning a very hazardous task for Asta, at best. His throws do even more damage than Asta's (unless wall) and he got way better mid, and even a near-invisible low with 1A:A:A.

Algol is horrible too seing how he dominates Astaroth at all range. His whiff punish game is excellent and works so well if Astaroth trying his own zoning. He even got custom combo on Asta for some 100% damage. He punishes throw at 75 without any BE, and it can go to 75% easily. A lot of pushback moves that Astaroth cant really fight. The weakness of Algol are not exposed against the golem (step, block punishing).

Omega can be a pain too. Her DNS goes under a lot of mids like 44A, she punishes every zoning mistake with great, superior damage. Her close range game is very effective also with 66B mixups.

More generally I find the near-infinite number of TC moves in this game to be a real killer for Astaroth. I cant picture our guy better than in the lower mid right now, but who knows.

Love everyone !

Hey there, getting ready for Cannes?
I'm back in the game too, can't miss the annual nerd-holiday in Cote D'Azur ^^

On the tiers and metagame:
Cervantes is a pain in the ass. On the paper he could rape Asta, AutoGI's, CE punishing even the classic bullrush, great step, great punishers if he ducks any throw. Besides that, 66K BE is very risky, since Cervy has a ton of high damaging options, or double hitting moves, or great recovering moves.
This means you just can "Rage" through aB, 66B, 66A and other few moves (I got my 66K BE blocked even after a "Raged" 3B).

Mitsu: never met decent ones (besides DTN, but that was online), but I can understand why he is a problem, basically he got great mids, big damage, insane frames close range BUT you can scare the shit out of him with well timed 22B BE on his main mixups. Main annoyances: mitsu's 33K, 1B.

Omega: much more annoying than Pyrra, mainly because of damage and range. Basically she's a faster Asta, same damage, better punishers, better CE and better overall movement. I think that Just Guard and GI's are the only way to gain some breath and turn the tide once she's close (and she will).

Alpha: probably the worst matcup for Asta, we all know that Alpha is dope in any department BUT he's actually pretty linear. If you notice most Alphas just move around and wait for your attack to start the slaughterfest, if you don't risk or whiff moves he'll eventually attack, and that's when it's fundamental to spot windows for step. Can't rely on frame traps too much against him, even on -6 he's still a threat.

Algol: not too much to add, you cleared pretty well his advantages on the Golem.

On the game evolution in the recent times, I can see, for my experience, a great imprevement of general use of JG, which hurts Asta's old B&B pressure and zoning tools.

- 44[A] is good only on big whiffs, like Night's CE, and post GI
- 4(B) only on grounded opponents but maybe still a little useful, if well mixed.
- B, B6 is suicidal, for crouching opponents is much less riskier 4K or any other mid
- 66K in general has to be done with wierd ad varied timings, since a lot of people now option select JG after you block a move of them.
- 22B for guard pressure is great, but risky if not done on forced block situations (when JG timing is very strict).

I d0n't think Asta is mid-low, I still think he's a high tier, but needs loads of experience in every single matchup, I don't see any "all around", solid gameplans.

Hey Satanaxx!
I wont enter any solo tournament at Cannes as I still hate the game and dont want to take it too seriously. I mean it's pretty clear even Namco dont give a fuck about it so I wont either haha
Anyway I'll be there to chill with my people and play casuals, even some FT5 I think !

I agree with everything you said but in the end there's too many negative match-up for him to be a high tier character IMO. I guess time will tell.
I almost forgot how Patroklos is very hard to handle too. Stupid throw punishment, close-range is unbearable, fucking 236A and B+K can really wreck Astaroth too. Do I need to mention the bugged A+B aGI and 66B being a very good frame trap on Astaroth ? haha

LOL, way to hate the blond fucker!
Yes Pat is insane in some ways, but somehow I don't find him so difficult to handle, not as difficult as the others and the Pyrras.
Luckilly his movement is not lightning fast and B+K and other moves can be stepped and punished.

SC V is broken in many ways, but I find it still fun. At least there is no SC IV Hilde

Good to have you Saitoh playing Asta again, the game is what it is, and about Pat yeah, the MU is hard, but it is for both sides, Pat needs to be in range to work those 66Bs, 1Ks, etc, while Asta can stay out of those as much as possible and still deal big damage, so basically Pat is gonna eat some CH 6B, CH 4A, CH 3A+B, and if desperation invades the Pat player, is gonna be readable about 66B cause it is one of his most ranged moves, so the 22Bs are going to start working.
But yeah, basically, whiffing anything vs Pat = big damage.

And for Alpha Pat, I do think is in aPat's favour, but I really haven't got much exp in that MU, but damn, his grabs and punishment in general are very strong, and aPat unlike Pat, doesn't care about being spaced out, he can get in really quick.

Is there any way to defeat a really good Mitsu player without using JG? I'm not good at JG and I played a Mitsu the other day that spanked me. I think I got maybe 4 or 5 pokes in the whole match.

JG isn't something you need to win.
So the answer is definetly yes.

JG is fundamental against certain uber-moves you can't permit your opponent to whore.
i.e. Pyrra 66B BE, Asta's 66K BE and so on.
Also, you have to learn how to fight against JG. Asta doesn't have good, multi hitting moves, basically everything charged can be easilly JGed, and even fast retailations are exposed to opponent's option-select.

Mitsu has to stay OUT of the fuckin' way, and has to fear to whore mid attacks, so make him understand that 22B BE => Titan is just around the corner, waiting for his sorry ass.
Punish everything you can punish, try to anticipate 4Bs, use 8B here and there to discourage close range 2As, 1K, 2K,B, throws.

It's a hard matchup, expecially since the explosiveness of Mitsu's damage, with 2xCEs he can even the round in the blink of an eye.

Here's my match-up list for Astaroth :

Aeon : 4-6
Algol : 3-7
Alpha : 3-7
Cervantes : 4-6
Dampierre : 6-4 (??)
Ezio : 6-4
Hilde : 4-6
Ivy : 5-5
Leixia : 6-4
Maxi : 4-6
Mitsurugi : 3-7
Natsu : 3-7
Nightmare : 6-4
Patroklos : 3-7
Pyrrha : 5-5
Omega : 3-7
Raphael : 7-3
Siegfried : 5-5
Tira : 4-6
Viola : ?
Voldo : 4-6
Xiba : 6-4 ??
Yoshimitsu : 4-6
Zwei : 5-5

I know I may sound pessimistic but I still cant picture him to be better than lower mid atm.

Dampierre was a pure guess I admit. No real idea for Xiba too.
All 3-7 I'm pretty sure of it but still can be wrong.
It may be 6:4 for Astaroth against Siegfried.

Here's my match-up list for Astaroth :

Patroklos : 3-7
Pyrrha : 5-5
Omega : 3-7

Why is Pyrrha only a 5-5 compared to the other Alexandras? Surely she has the same tools (Fast TC etc) that make the other two good against Asta. I would just like to hear your reasoning.

Viola vs. Ast and Natsu vs. NM, IMO, are the worst matchups in the game, but I do not agree with so many 7-3's. Then again, I play a pretty turtle heavy Ast, he's not my primary character, and I play most of my characters the same way.

I cannot see Asta vs. Pat being 7-3 as the only time it gets really bad is if Ast is in the corner and, even then, the corner is where Asta can get halflife combos, forcing both characters to guess hard or turtle. The only thing is that Pat's frametraps become much better in the corner.

I'd like to understand why you believe that about Asta vs. Algol. I cannot see it being any less than 5-5.

Alpha's pretty cheep.

I used to think Mits vs. Asta was way in Mits favor but then I realized that Mits has to either try to space Asta out (like I said, I play a turtle Asta so this actually helps me) or keep attempting to use frametraps on Ast (which makes him susceptible to Asta's CH game). Most of Mits TC take a commitment and also get CH easily. Because of all this, I feel like, once Mits is close, he has to guess more than a lot of the cast.

I agree with Natsu vs. Asta.

I can't understand why you have oPyr as 7-3 and regular Pyrrha as 5-5. I'm guessing frametraps and DNS B but I still can't see that making the matchup so bad.

Raph vs. Asta is definitely 5-5 or 6-4 in Asta's favor at the most.

Pyrrha is the only Alexandra you can remotely zone with Asta without taking too many risks. That cant be said for Omega & both version of Patroklos. Omega DNS game wrecks Astaroth zoning, and once at close range she dominates him anyway. If it's not a 3:7 it's a very heavy 4-6.

Algol owns Astaroth. He has more range than Asta, at least 2 safe starters for zoning, he fears nothing in that department. A lot of pushback that push asta out of throwing range. His whiff punish game is insane, borderline broken making Asta's zoning VERY risky. He got Asta specific combos, too. Asta 44A is risky due to Algol 4B+K. Also, he punishes throws very well, 75 dmg without BE, up to 150/180 with meter. Finally, Algol only weakness (block punishing/poor step) cannot be exploited well by Asta.

Mitsurugi may be the worst MU of all for Asta. You CANT zone a good Mitsurugi, it's impossible. It's way too risky between JG and the general recovery of Asta zoning moves. He can get in so easily it's ridiculous. Once close, his frame trap game will shut you down badly. Countering with 6B is rare giving the speed & frame game, with 6K it's quite risky. I absolutely hate this MU and cannot picture anything else than a 3:7 at equal knowledge & skill.

Raph's game is broken by 66K and 22B. The only thing going for Raphael is his 4B when punishing throws. How can you picture a 5-5 here ? Im really curious.

At last, Patroklos dominates at close range easily, 66B becoming a true blockstun on Asta and things like that. He punishes throws insanely well. His TC game is VERY dangerous, and his whiff punishing game very strong too. There's no range where Asta can fight him without taking a lot of risks.

Raph vs. Asta is definitely 5-5 or 6-4 in Asta's favor at the most.

Wait what? Bullrush totally shuts down Prep, 22B is "Hi I step your movelist" and he overall hits 2-3 times the damage. I am very interested as to why you think this could possibly be even.
It may be 6:4 for Astaroth against Siegfried.
Personally I think it is 6-4 for Asta against Siegfried. The main thing Sieg has going for him in this match-up is that wrB into SCH B combos on NH which gives him good punishment on Asta's throws, but Asta pretty much does better at everything else I think.

If you say that Night is 6-4 against Asta I don't think you can say the same for Sieg. So 5-5.

Sieg can mixup Asta, plays better at mid range, Asta has to go to throw range to do serious damage, or step/make whiff slow moves.

Not to mention his CE to punish whiffs, Asta specific combos, etc. etc.

Night, on the other hand, gets punished his stance game all the time, and has to totally adjust his style against the sexy Golem. His game becomes spacing, 1K, throws and 3AA/22A,A mixups.

If you say that Night is 6-4 against Asta I don't think you can say the same for Sieg. So 5-5.

Sieg can mixup Asta, plays better at mid range, Asta has to go to throw range to do serious damage, or step/make whiff slow moves.

Not to mention his CE to punish whiffs, Asta specific combos, etc. etc.

Night, on the other hand, gets punished his stance game all the time, and has to totally adjust his style against the sexy Golem. His game becomes spacing, 1K, throws and 3AA/22A,A mixups.
Sieg's CE is shit. The rest of what you said is fine however.

Sieg's CE is shit. The rest of what you said is fine however.

It's actually a pretty decent last resort whiff punish tool against Astaroth. If Asta whiffs moves at a far range with slow recovery (44A, 22_88B), Sieg can easily whiff punish with CE. It will cover some ranges that WR B will not reach as well, so I'd say using 1 bar of meter in order to make Asta smarten up is useful.

Sorry for double post. My match-up list: Asta VS Opponent

Aeon :5:5
Algol : 4:6
Alpha : 3:7
Cervantes : 4:6
Dampierre : ?
Ezio : 5:5
Hilde : 5:5
Ivy : 5:5
Leixia : 6:4
Maxi : 5:5
Mitsurugi : 4:6
Natsu : 4:6
Nightmare : 6:4
Patroklos : 5:5 (maybe 4:6)
Pyrrha : 4:6
Omega : 5:5 (maybe 4:6)
Raphael : 6:4 (maybe 7:3)
Siegfried : 6:4
Tira : 4:6
Viola : 5:5 (maybe 4:6)
Voldo : 5:5
Xiba : 6:4
Yoshimitsu : 6:4
Zwei : 5:5

I have reasons for each of these numbers, so if you do question my input feel free to ask. I'll be more than happy to discuss. Please keep it civil.

Back