Astaroth Vids

An Astaroth user won a tournament in Germany! This is just one vid of numerous matches on the account found in the link. You can also look in the Game Video Distribution section in the forums to see a full list of the vids.

Overall, I like his style, of course, it's very similar to other Asty's we've seen in tournaments. However, a few things kind of threw me off.

For example, 66K, W!, 66K, W!, 4B. I think there are much better options. How about 66K, W!, 4B which leads to tech traps or 1A_B+G/22_88B if they don't tech. And after 634:A+G, instead of 1B, I like 22_88B or 2A+K if they try rolling.

Well, I said it did kinda confuse me. So no need to be douchey b3rni... <_<

I'm sure he was getting 100% guaranteed damage, and 1B isn't necessarily bad where he used it. I was just saying that there was other damaging options here and there IMO. Overall, I liked his style. It's not like I was lost the whole damn time.

And that Taki in the video wasn't punishing effectively, which also confused me...

nice vid, you need to correct the link though you got http:// in twice

its actually a pretty different asta compared to the other tourney astas ive seen, much more aggresive. im loving the 4b abuse :D. the taki didnt seem to handle the pressure very well, well played. and oh like 136 said, the taki didnt really punish that well and shes one of the few chars that can punish astas stuff comfortably

Woops. Noted. I corrected it ojste.

The only real difference I saw was usage of 1B as enders and 66K, W!, 66K stuff. Overall, I thought it was about the same with abuse of 66K and 4B. From what I can remember anyway...

After Bull Rush into wall you can attempt a 2a+g/b+g or full charged headbutt which is stupid damage -_-

That was a lot of a bull rushes, I'm surprised the Taki didn't just AA after each blocked bull rush...she's the only one that can pull it off.

Otherwise, good match, both players seem to forgo a lot of guaranteed damage for wake up options (though maybe I suck and that's not at all what they're doing lol).

yeah, there is always room to improve or to critizise but keep in mind that you cant know what your opponent is doing next and if you have the reaction to punish constantly.

the wall thing: 66k W! 66k is great cuz after that you can [4]B and just think of a wallsplash and the next 66k RO`s ( happened often to me)

I'm surprised that the taki player didn't punish the 6k even once, and i find the lack of 2A from the taki player confusing too, they are just sticking to each others face and taking turns and whenever the rhythm is broken by taki (accident?) the asta player just spam GIs instead of proper spacing (obvious in the last 2 matches) the taki player should've abused 2A and asta wouldnt had a chance at that range. and it's obvious that jagthegemini is used to fighting people who can't deal with asta's basic moves properly hence the sticking to the face of a taki.

everyone played astaroth has been to through this stage when he kicks everybody's ass before somebody figures a thing or two about asty that makes the asta player thinks a little instead of just pressuring the shit out of his opponent.

bad matches overall and if it keeps going i can't see the asta winning as he is now.

JAG hasn't leveled up yet...that is all. I noticed that he didn't do 2A+K after 3B. Which tells me he is still learning SC4 asta.

First of all, Taki should have punished more, thats absolutely right. Im not going to say the match was perfect.

Apart from that, most of the stuff you guys wrote is so wrong, i even dont know what to say. Big lol at hellbottoms post.
Jag always goes for safe Damage, hes not the guy who goes for crouchthrows and situational" maybe it could hit if he techs" stuff. There is absolutely no reason for 66K W! Crouchthrowattempts when you can go for safe Damage + insane Wakeup and 4B Terror on a wall. Crouchthrows is what you use against some Noobs or online when they cant be broken. If they are broken you lose your Momentum, your Wallgame and the Damage. Not clever at all.

Astas 1B is very good in this Game, since it cant be punished due to the pushback.

Jag plays SC on High Level since SC1. He bet Team Belgium and the most of France during SC2 with MAXI. The only guy was able to beat him was Dan the Nightmare, i hope you know what happened next with DTN. Some of your comments just sound hilarious, "not leveled up" made my day.
And Adamas travelled to France and Poland during SC3 and he and his Team did very well, and he played an insanely good Asta during the whole SC3 era. Search for Neo4Life.

You shouldnt post such loose comments after watching one Video, maybe you should watch his Matches against DaGotths Sophie, too. He punished pretty well and poked him to death. DaGotth is his brother btw and plays him for 10 years. Guess who won. They leveled up years ago. If you'll ever have the chance to play him you will recognize too.

[*]
[*]

Years of experience in SC1, SC2, and SC3 have nothing to do with not knowing new combos, frames, and such in SC4.

IMHO, 66K~ close wall splat is one of those things that the Asta player can choose the follow-up based on personal preference/situation and there would be good arguments for a lot of these options. 3B ~ 2A+K however is not one of those things. If 3B hits close to the edge/wall then I can see some arguments for replacing 2A+K.

I wouldn't say JAG THE GEMINI's Asta is bad, but I am still more impressed with Saitoh's Asta.

Where did you see him do 3B? Thats not a Move Jag likes to use afaik. Maybe he did it without purpose. The conclusion KingAce posted from not doing 2A+K after 3B gotta be a joke. "Shows me that he is till learning". Lol.I cant believe you are judging him from not doing 2A+K after a single 3B.If i remember right, he didnt do 3B once in the Match against Adamas.
Well, maybe you should watch some Vids of Top US players not doing every Combo in a Tournament Situation, such as Aris, BrianHates and others. Then come back and tell me they are still learning the game.

We're all still learning the game I am afraid =)

Back to discussing the video, I actually think Adamas should do more AB. Taki's A series give Asta a lot of troubles.

First of all, Taki should have punished more, thats absolutely right. Im not going to say the match was perfect.

Astas 1B is very good in this Game, since it cant be punished due to the pushback.

[*]
[*]

In that first vid you posted, JAG lost a round at 4:50 because 1B got punished. Yeah, the pushback can make it safe against a few characters, but I'm sure Soph isn't the only character that can punish that 1B.

In no way was I saying JAG is a bad player either. Hell, he won a tournament, so that's pretty good in my book. I was just commenting on how I had never seen a tourney Asta use 66K, W!, 66K before. I'm sure it's one of the safest options, but I'd like to test the damage from it and compare it to other options.

And to b3rni, I know the second 66K can ring out, but how often can you see that happening? Star Wars stage, Lizardman stage, and the ship stage are the only places I can think of off the top of my head with areas which would cause this to occur.

@136

I know, i wasnt refering to your post at all :)
Of course 1B can be punshed by some cars, even by Taki if its from close Range.

I just wanted the other guys to watch that Vids against a very aggresive and good Sophie Player that knows Asta in and out and punishes well. As you can see, even against a aggresive Poke Style with a lot of 2As you can play that way. Just 2A is not enough to stop Asta imo.

EDIT:

@136

Astas 66K W! 66K 4 is 83 Damage
Astas 66K W! 66K 4B is 66 Damage
And his 66K W! 66K 1B is 70 Damage

+ you still have him at the wall and can pressure with 4B.

His Throws both are 91 Damage after a 66K W!, which is only 8 more than 4 AND breakable, for 2A+G just 91 if you get the Wallsplat, too. Without it its just 31, i dont think the risk for the Throw is clever at long sight. You give away free 30-40 Damage and maybe gain just 10 for the breakable Throw.

lol that astaroth was decent and nothing you say will make him appear stronger.

I'll have to experiment with the double bullrush, but at the least what you say about 4 doc isn't borne out in those videos. It seems to be escapable/blockable which isn't terrible but is pretty underwhelming all the same.

Yeah no one's perfect. At least he has a clear idea what he's doing and some interesting tricks to pull out. I fear I'd have to have too much respect for my opponent to 44 cancel into guard at the last moment to use it most of the time, but he judged right there when he did it.

Yes that Taki could've done a lot more and I also think that the Sophie's aggro was too much(I'm one to talk), but he was doing well in taking advantage of them for it like you should. I think there is a time and place for being risky, especially with asta, but hey he won so his safety is obviously paying some dividends.

I don't get the cancel into guard.

Might as well just let it go and look for the counterhit bounce and free head pickup attempt/whatever else you want to look at.

Cancel in While Rising A, Cancel in while rising K, but guard? seems unneeded.

Back