Basic Q&A Thread

I'm well-versed in Street Fighter frame data, but I don't quite get the FD here. A lot of moves seem safer on block than on hit, and that doesn't make any sense at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking to get into Soul Calibur competitively but I am unfortunately starting from absolute ground zero. The first thing I wanted to do was learn all the system mechanics of the SC5 game engine, but I found that to be pretty hard to do! I found the "Newcomer Directory" in the tactics forum but it didn't answer most of the questions I had.

Is there some kind of system tutorial, either in a thread or video format, to help me out? I've found a lot of the basic answers, but I always have more questions.

Examples of questions I found by digging around -
What is a clean hit?
How do I tech roll?
Why do characters fall differently during a juggle? (air control)

Examples of questions I need answered -
What are the differences of the stun states and what how do I get out of them?
When can I hit my an opponent on knockdown, and when can they block?
Are there universal CH properties and what are they?
What's the difference between a special mid and special low?

I have loads more of these questions and I will only have more as I start to explore the game. Is there a single place for someone like me to learn the system mechanics of SC5? I feel I can't even begin to really play this game without knowing why things are happening. Even if the guide is for SC4, it would be better than nothing. Thanks in advance.

Can't tell if trolling, but my understanding is that certain "signature moves" for each character have the property of randomly generating a "clean hit" which increases damage.

It is the fighting game equivalent of a critical hit in an RPG, but only on certain moves.

See the incomplete thread here - http://8wayrun.com/threads/list-of-clean-hit-moves.9168/

I have some of the same questions as you. Special low means that it can be blocked high or low I think. I know that there was talk of a player making some tutorial videos, I believe they were going to call them "Quick Steps." I don't believe any have been made thus far.

One burning question I have is why does the SC community use the number notation system? I mainly ask this because the command lists for the characters have always been directional in-game. I'm not saying I'm too lazy to learn it I am just curious is all. But shit looks like a chemistry problem when I try to figure out combos. "8Ba+ Sb...8 moles of barium plus antimony... what?"

while i was reading the Natsu combo section, I keep seeing the using use
FC
PO
RCC
and
WS (while standing?)

what exactly do they mean?

I remember there was a thread regarding to 8wayrun terms under the beginner section.. but i can no longer find it.

while i was reading the Natsu combo section, I keep seeing the using use
FC
PO
RCC
and
WS (while standing?)

what exactly do they mean?

I remember there was a thread regarding to 8wayrun terms under the beginner section.. but i can no longer find it.

FC - Fully Crouched
PO - Possession Stance
RCC - Recover Crouch Cancel
WS - While Standing

Natsu specific terms are found here (like possession stance):
http://8wayrun.com/threads/scv-and-natsu-notation-conventions-aka-the-newbie-silencer.10418/
General terms are found here:
http://8wayrun.com/threads/basic-notations-and-terminology.58/

Alright, these might be a bit odd of questions but first is this:
When I got SC5, I got the strategy guide with it and found in the guide these strange scanning squares placed randomly within the guide. Anyone know what those are for or what they do exactly?

And for my other question, where is the code to get Dampierre? He looks like a definite wildcard character but despite how the guide says it's a download code, I never got that on my receipts.

Hello, everyone. I'm a new member here. Nice to meet y'all.
I have a question, I've following threads of notions and else, but I couldn't find any meaning of CE.
What's CE? Can you please explain it to me?

Thank you.

Hey guys I have a couple of questions: Are guard impact, unblockable attack and break attack universal?or do each character have their own inputs? How do you perform a move that has a small B and a regular size A?

How do I stop 8wayrun from sending me all these messages about new posts in watched threads?

I'm not 100% sure you can do this when it is already watched, but when you reply, hit more options and un-tick the watch this thread and/or receive email notification.

Hey guys I have a couple of questions: Are guard impact, unblockable attack and break attack universal?or do each character have their own inputs? How do you perform a move that has a small B and a regular size A?

I do believe that those are all universal, but I'm not certain. You could always check the move list for the characters just incase (guard impacts are labeled GI, unblockable attacks are UA... etc). a move such as :bA: is a slide input meaning you push the A button faster than normal after hitting the B button.

GI is universal.
Moves with Break or Unblockable properties are specific to the character - which you will find in training mode.

Lot of errors with iexplorer today. In before "use firefox", I'm using it right now, that's why I can post.

I always entered with explorer and doesn't have problems, but today I can't even quote properly

Back