Chai Xianghua matchups

This seems really obvious but be prepared to break a lot of throws. His knee on counterhit (Forgot the notation for it) is also pretty nasty. You have to be up close to do damage but he can also throw you out of your moves too so I think using some of her evasive moves like 44B or 1B+K (Among others) is a safe way to play him. Don't just stand in front of him, lol. Also be prepared to sidestep any predicted bullrushes for a free combo (Forgot the notation on that!). I'll have more later...

If you can't keep constant pressure, you're done. If you aren't the best rushdown expert, you'll have to dance in and around him. Moves that are safe and have some decent pushback also seem like a safe bet...moves which elude me right now so I'll have to do some playing around a bit later...

Oh yea, be careful with 44B because he can (and will) bullrush you.

Much thanks! i should really should not just stand in front of him lol, that really helped me :D

lol, probably shouldn't have deleted my last post...

MORE Asura thoughts! I saw on the anti Asura page that you can 1K the second hit of Asura and it knocks down...so it looks like you could get some 1BB fun out of this. And I see what I was doing wrong in regards to 4A+B after blocking the first hit of Asura, so good find KF-Kyo.

Would anyone happen to have any Anti-Setsuka strategies? It might just be me, but I'm finding her really difficult to deal with.

Man its been a while.....

Against characters that don't have the speed to beat it out, theres a frame trap after 88K, you have the option of 3B (Which only Taki, X, Setsuka and Amy can stop) or 2A (Which only Taki and Amy can stop), which means it could be pretty anti-based since you can launch with 3B which could leave into Anti-Game, or if you connect with 2A you can go into FC3B. I found this and thought it could used for anti-step ups.

Discuss.........

Hmmm, I'll want to try this out...

Anywho...more Sophie thoughts! What are the strings people tend to fall for most (All of them won't be a very helpful answer to me)? I want to investigate them further. Oh and when I said to step her, that is good but you'll want to step to her right (Whichever side she is holding the shield). I remember playing Sophie and trying to step her but she has moves that tend to track better if you step left.

Oh and on CF, it was mentioned by Neoshinji that you can interrupt the second hit of 1AA (If they commit to the second) with WS B, which with auto GI it.

nitrolens: I will have to look more into Sets before I say a thing! I know she punishes mistakes hard so you'll want to play it safe. She doesn't seem to have the greatest of reach but I'm not so sure on that. I'm curious on to how punishable she is if you block umbrella...doesn't have a LOT of lows but you still need to watch out for them.

WS B equals sophie 1AA ownage. If you haven't watched Kof Koyo's auto GI tutorial then you are missing out big time. Also don't underestimate Sets range. She has some very strong strong moves around the mid range area. bA and 33B come to mind. Oh and very punishable on umbrella block, something like -22 or 23. A smart Sets player will only use this for punishing, combos, or the occasional frame trap tho.

lol, probably shouldn't have deleted my last post...

MORE Asura thoughts! I saw on the anti Asura page that you can 1K the second hit of Asura and it knocks down...so it looks like you could get some 1BB fun out of this. And I see what I was doing wrong in regards to 4A+B after blocking the first hit of Asura, so good find KF-Kyo.

You can do 4A+B after the second hit of asura too ;) ( not i my video )

Any tips for Asta? having too much trouble with him

Depends on the Asta's play style. I like to get you close for throw and stun mixups. If you're playing a long range more defensive Asta, then I'd say get in close and and just pound, his attacks are too slow to keep up with X. Break throw attempts and punish any attack attempts. 1BB,3AK or combo's of the like are good for this. Make use of 3B+K as well. It's the bread and butter move. Ducks high throws and hits mid.

If your playing against an In your face Astaroth like me, Watch out for his 3A. It's fast and it'll lead you every time into either a 63, 84, or 72 damage combo. And that hurts. If you find yourself stunned by 3A, you have like a millisecond to counter the crouch throw, more so if he goes for 3A,6B,2A+G (or 2B+G). I would be wary of A+K mixups.. Astaroths 3A+G and 3B+G are leaping crouch throws, and if I play an X who likes A+K, I'll make good use of them. I'd go for very simple fast poke tactics. such as AAB and 2A+B with follow up B while rising or K while rising.

Hope I helped.

You can shake 3A on CH I believe...

Just more thoughts with Asta...

Watch out for his 6AB...if you guard the first hit, you can GI the second but eat it on counterhit and you'll be eating another throw, lol. Block the first hit and you can hit him with 66A+B or 1B+K.

On the 6K 2A+B A+G thing (You'll eat it), if they're a bit late on the throw, mash A to break it.

4A: Kills step fast. Step in either direction, and he could hit you with a 6AB, eat another throw...and yea. Safe too so be careful. It's high so you can use a tech crouching move to make him pay.

K: Safe and it gives decent pushback. If he does it at max range, he can hit you with a knee after it...and hence more damage!

1A vs. 11A: You'll know if there is a second option coming if he tends to hesitate. GI the second hit to make him pay.

Note on Astaroth:

you CANNOT sidestep Asta's bullrush reliably, unless you're at least a couple of steps back. I've tried DOZENS of times, but I mostly just get hit, whether from using 8wr, great wall, 2B+K, whatever. The best thing to do is block or GI. I dunno if anybody address this already, but I just wanted to throw that in

It's tricky. I'll look into it more because I usually can avoid it. His THROWS on the other hand...

Feel free to shred it apart as well but I found success with Asta with low pokes as well. 2K, 11K...etc...

EDIT: I can sidestep it but you must be quick about it! Dilly dally and pay the price.

Nightmare stuff! I feel people need to know about this guy because he's dirty and I hate him.

Some of his main stuff:

33B: His main launcher. Hurts big time if you eat it so sidestep it or GI it (It's awkward animation makes it a little tough to GI)

6k: This move is great up close. It interrupts, knocks down on CH and pushes you back like whoa...even on block you can get pushed out of attack range. It's high though so you can use a TC move to get under it (3B+K) or a crouching move in general (iFC3B) or sidestep it to the right or 1B+K it. You could also 66A+B it but he's knocked me out of it and you will really hate this move on CH.

3K: This again allows him to control the space in front of him nicely. Don't sidestep it, GI it or 66A+B it.

7_8_9K: It's a jump kick, and it's good! NM player can use this if they sense a low coming and it knocks down on CH. Safe too...but if they get a bit predictable with it, sidestep it or GI it!

A+K: It's a good close punisher and is also an attack throw but it's super unsafe. I was able to hit 3B after blocking it so yea...make them pay for this.

And please watch out for his throws near the edge...uhhhh forgot the specific breaks, it'll come to me later.

More later when I'm not high off sugar...

HELP

I need help with friggin Mitsurugi. He is virtually unpunishable with Xianghua, because all of her moves are either to slow or wont reach. I tried changing to a more defensive style of play, but I still find myself losing to even the SCRUBBIEST of Mitsus!

Mitsu: Good luck. I don't have any anti Mitsu (Sadly as some of the Mitsu players rarely show up anymore) so someone else will have to help out. I will chime in later, after I finish looking at Nightmare some more.

Soooo...Nightmare has two stances and you darn well be aware of them. I am also keeping this simple for now as I want to explore them first then go in depth later.

GS-Gloom Step
This is where he dashes forward after certain moves (33B) and can do several attacks.

GS A: Auto GI's mid and high verts. Unsafe on block but will stop a good deal of attacks cold and then he can follow with several attacks (4KK) that will add to your misery. Guard it and smack him with horizontals but be aware GS can crouch under attacks and you do not want to eat GS A. Ugh...

GS B: Doesn't auto GI anything (Thankfully) but on block, pushes you back enough so you can't do a darn thing. He can also go back into GS after this and if you try to attack, you could end up eating more damage. I'd play it safe here (For now! Let me look into it more)

GS KK: If you're on the ground, this will pick you up and could either ring you out or wall splat you for stupid stuff. On block, duck the second hit and punish. Honestly, they should use this outside of picking you up off the ground.

GS A+B: Gets a Soul Charge out of it and can GI weak attacks (I believe) but I wouldn't worry about this much.

NSS-Night Side Stance: Similar to one of Sieg's stances. He can go into it with B+K and avoid some things.

NSS A: A mid slice that is unsafe, as long as you're close enough. He can do it from pretty far too and you won't be able to do much after it.

NSS [A]: About the same except he stays in NSS after this and can screw you up if you try to attack after blocking this. If he stays in NSS, you could eat either an A or K follow up. NSS K on counterhit leads to dirty things and while NSS A on counter hit doesn't hurt as much, you'll have to be careful. Nightmare is dirty

NSS B: A long reaching low. You could jump it and attack but if he stays out of your range, good luck.

NSS bA: A high slice that also has a JF version but this is unsafe so either duck it or on block, punish it please.

Oh yea! Be aware that just like X and SXS, Nightmare can go into either in these stances from some moves (Like 33B6 which goes into GS or [A] that can go into NSS and lead to a block trap). Plan accordingly.

This is where reading Tiamat's NM guide will help as well...gogogogogogogo

Hehe~ I have Mitsu stuff from playing Mateo.

Mitsu is actually a character I like to stay away from and it works.
X has some good knockback potent if used right, against mitsu
I like to wait for my opponent to come to me then knock them back.

Now for some move stuff

2KB

We all know this move. I like to block the first hit and punish it with 2A (which leaves you in FC, which also means mixupz). It works and could lead to some good damage or even some soul gauge damage depending on what you use.

After training yourself to it you can step the first hit, wait for mitsu to stop or go into the the follow up. If they dont go into the followup you will have time to hit B for 25B. If he does go into the followup just punish with whatever since it wont hit you.

RLC [A]

Alot of combos can be done out of this move. Lucky us that we have AA on our side. I might have to recheck it but if your close enough you can pretty much beat out all his options while hes in MST BESIDES 2K.

MST 2K

Since this is the only thing we cant punish after RLC [A] w/ AA I thought I would cover this seperate. You can block the low then beat out the follow-up with a nicely timed FC3B.

I'll edit later, i wanna grab some lunch but I'll retest (just to make sure theses work since they are off my semi-photographic memory) and test some others.

thanks man

one thing I noticed from playing smilingsaint and Thumper986 is that the key to winning against mitsu is patience -- I tend to rush in and get killed, but once I pull back and play keep away (like you said, shadius) then I have a much better chance to catch a mitsu mistake, and charge in with a 66B (I mix up 66B, 66BB, and 66B~SXS)

but, if you ARE up close and i learned that X has to pretty much turtle, which still feels real odd to me. But since his a moves negate 8wr, his mid moves take a chunk of life, and his low moves make his mix up games scary, trading blows is not the best thing.

I believe that the key is to start guarding early for lows, which kill two of his best options from jump by ducking A/High moves and blocking his low moves (which leaves him with sizable disadvantage), which only leave his mid moves to look out for, which are generally slow enough to stand and block upon seeing it. Blocking their somewhat predictable low game will also suprise the average mitsu enough for him to freeze! I've seen it many times, when even a good mitsu player gets their 1a or 2kb blocked and they pause trying to figure out what to do next. kinda like "you're not supposed to block that...!"

it's not full-proof and still is really risky, but at least i don't feel helpless anymore

also, 1B+K is a very decent move up close that is much safer than the great wall (which misses alot, especially to tech-lows) or 8wr moves (which are usually too slow to consistantly hit an up-close mitsu). You have to predict a B or something coming a few times, but hit it off a few times, and you may even force him to turtle...! I've even sidestepped mitsu's 2KB with it a few times, though I have to check about how reliable it is against it (which I think may be pretty reliable)

Creative gameplay>2KB

How do you play against Hilde ?

Hi !

I often play against Mystic, one of the best Hilde in France. But I just have no ideas how to play !

You certainly know if you saw my vids that i'm offensive, but Hilde C3A is so painful !! She auto-gi all my moves, especially 66A that I use to approach usually.

I tried 66K and it works better, but i don't have a lot of ideas. I thought about 44A+B ? It touches so far ! Perhaps Hilde can't hit me even with auto-gi because C3A is too short against a good 44A+B ?

I hope we'll find a way to play well against her.

Hello kayane

44K B to deal with C3A auto-GI might work. Provided he does not know how to deal with the B yet.

Personally i don't find 44A+B a good idea for a few reasons 1. C3A isnt really that short. 2. It has good recovery even if it misses. 3. 44A+B leaves xianghua in her same position without moving her forward 4. If you whiff 44A+B you can get launched.

C2B and C3B are VERY bad when they whiff. Step to hilde's sword side.. and if you spot them whiff, 2_85B to punish hard. If you hit the 2_85B at mid/far range, 33KA is the most damaging, and leaves X backturn for bT2B+K and BTB+K mixups in player one side.

C2AA can be used to kill your step. But If you know tis coming, a back step to make it whiff can be really great because C2A has BAD recovery when it whiffs.

2K is very important as a poke against hilde IMO. She can only FC2A to punish it, and it can make it REALLY difficult for her to step you. Killign her step is IMO very important because she has one of the best steps in the game. you could use AA too but there is the risk of getting C3Aed.

If hilde is poking you and rushing you down... probably when you have a life lead, AA is very good to break pressure. hilde is relatively slow. AA, 6A+K, 2A, K, 3K, 6K all give +4... 6A+K is i12 and the rest are i14 onwards. 2A is good too. You can use 1B+K or 44B but the risk if she is baiting it is VERY high.

I have 2 suggestions to make.. the second one being a lot less sure than the first one. But you could try it. It came up to me as i typed this post

1. When you have a big life lead. 1[A+B] and lie down. Hilde's wake up game is REALLY BAD. If you roll to he sword side, FCC2B, C3B cannot hit you on the ground. Remember to roll once so you dont stand up too quickly. She can like 2K you and 2B you. 2K is crouch throwable. Her other moves that hit grounded are VERY slow... they are 2A+B and 4A+B... so you can guard them on reflex. 11K is rollable to one side as well. 11B is VERY rollable.

2. When you wanna get in safely without 66Aing or 4A+Bing... how about lying down and rolling forward to hilde. :/ Might work.

If it's Hilde's aGI's you're having trouble with, remember that the C2AA and C3A aGIs don't work against kicks, and Xianghua has a healthy set of them. You can actually use 44[K] to get an SXS charge, if necessary.

BTW that roll tactic sounds hilarious. Too bad I don't have a Hilde player around to use it on. =P

Back