Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

270 now, I think. Could be wrong though :|

ergh, I should be contributing data or studying punishment... but I don't wanna do anything until this patch...

It's actually 300 now, which IMO is way too much health. It was 270 in DOA5 1.03, which seemed like the sweet spot.

You can still look over frames or such. I doubt that that much will be changed per character in the sense of negative frames on block or whiff.

It took me a couple hours to finish Kasumi's combo challenge.

I don't know if the game is actually really hard or it's just my brain that needs adjustments for it.

Edit : Full Izuna drop as Hi-counter Hold in the "Lost World" level + the fall does over 50% and OMFG does it look amazing.

I 'm not sure I like the idea of Izuna drop being somewhat mashable and 80 damage whereas Kokoro's (and others) isn't mashable and deals less damage.

And then there's Raijin.

I 'm not sure I like the idea of Izuna drop being somewhat mashable and 80 damage whereas Kokoro's (and others) isn't mashable and deals less damage.

And then there's Raijin.
Nakiryu does more damage than Raijin oddly enough for Hayate.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/wiki/christie-frame-data-doa5u/

becauseivelostcontrolofmylife-gif.35195

And then there's Raijin.

The Izuna Drop is not any less "mashable" than Kokoro's or LeiFang's combo throws/OH's. I mash the shit out of LeiFang's 236T for example. A counter Izuna is also hard as fuck to do on reaction and deserves big damage. Plus Izuna Drops are just pure hype! Watch any MASTER match to get what I mean.

I can't comment on the Raijin because I don't play Hayate.

It took me a couple hours to finish Kasumi's combo challenge.

I don't know if the game is actually really hard or it's just my brain that needs adjustments for it.

Edit : Full Izuna drop as Hi-counter Hold in the "Lost World" level + the fall does over 50% and OMFG does it look amazing.

Leon's Desert Falcon off the edge looks freaking hilarious. And then it eats up at least 40% of their HP.

The Izuna Drop is not any less "mashable" than Kokoro's or LeiFang's combo throws/OH's. I mash the shit out of LeiFang's 236T for example. A counter Izuna is also hard as fuck to do on reaction and deserves big damage. Plus Izuna Drops are just pure hype! Watch any MASTER match to get what I mean.

I can't comment on the Raijin because I don't play Hayate.

Counter Izuna's I'm cool with. I'm cool with the 236P+KPP360T Izuna too. I don't like how the traditional Izuna is so mashable for the damage given.

And I've never been able to mash out Lei's 236T or Kokoro's 214T, if I did that, the opponent is likely to escape Lei's. You can't escape Ryu's Izuna once it starts.

Of course, my (in)capacity to mash out certain throws doesn't really mean much. I do have to give props to players that can pull it off. And then face palm when they seem incapable of standing up to neutral play or basic reads.

You know, watching some random Warriors Orochi the other day, I realized I never really liked Rachel in NG... She has these huge eyes,

Rachel_ninja_gaiden_sigma.jpg

like a doll's. It's kind of creepy.

But in DOA... Look at her!

DOA5U - Screen - 2013-10-02 06-59-56.png

DOA5U - Screen - 2013-10-02 07-00-02.png

DOA5U - Screen - 2013-10-02 07-00-09.png

She's smoldering. It's hard to believe it's the same character.

(Though I guess the same thing happened with Starkiller and his game, huh...)

Now I'm just waiting for this patch so that mai waifu can be all mine again...

Alright, so let's say Helena did have TOO good frames. You want them to nerf a character that DOA characters SHOULD be like? And what would you even nerf? There's nothing left that wouldn't crush Helena. Nerf her lows? Horrible character. Most her stun extenders/starters are her lows. Please, do tell what you want them to nerf. I think you need to adapt against Helena.

Yes, I was especially talking about her lows which are insanely! good no matter if it´s from the bokuho stance, sidestep or from normal stance. But why are you talking about nerfing her? How about make make all lows in the game just as awesome!?

Then don't complain if you're losing. If you believe your personal style is better than what good tools the game gives you, then you've forfeited the right to bitch about what you can or can't do.

Adaptation is the very core of development in the FGC. If you can't adapt, then everybody's just going to leave you behind, and you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Of course I can complain if I want! It doesn´t even have anything to do with me winning or loosing, it´s about a personal playstile! What so special about "adaptation" guys, an efficient and personal playstile is imo more improtant.

@DrakeAldan.

If there won´t be any patches in the future, then Rachel will be high or top-tier. Thats´my honest prediction.

Yes, I was especially talking about her lows which are insanely! good no matter if it´s from the bokuho stance, sidestep or from normal stance. But why are you talking about nerfing her? How about make make all lows in the game just as awesome!?
You said, "Large update maybe coming in October? I hope so, Helena and Rachel are really strong." It was implied you thought Helena and Rachel needed to be nerfed. Mentioning them and saying they're really strong doesn't necessarily convey you wanting to buff everyone else.

Of course I can complain if I want! It doesn´t even have anything to do with me winning or loosing, it´s about a personal playstile! What so special about "adaptation" guys, an efficient and personal playstile is imo more improtant.

You can still play Ein according to your own "personal playstile", you just won't be as effective because of your stubbornness. If you don't know what's so special about adaptation then you're not playing fighting games properly. Adaptation is the essence of competitive fighting games. Adapt or die.

Giving everyone lows like Helena would turn the game into a Low spamfest and would defeat the point of Helena's individuality. Helena's strong but she's not OP (though her BKO duck is fucking annoying) and is perfectly fine offline. If you're having trouble against her, you're probably having trouble against other characters too. On the otherhand, Helena is unbearable to fight in lag though.

However, I do admit that Rachel could use some tweaking, but also suspect that people may just need to get accustomed to fighting her. In her case, I welcome a few adjustments.

... Okay, first off: if your personal playstyle is efficient and exactly how you want to play your character, you're horribly lucky.

Otherwise, your opinion is yours alone. Adapting to the game allows you to try and keep up with the best of the best, especially if you're a character loyalist. How do you think the greats like Rikuto and Master keep in the Top 8 with the characters they have fielded since their earlier days? They adapted their styles to fit with their character's good tech in the current game.

In the end, though, it's your call. Do what you want.

so I am still working through the tutorial thing for the trophy shit, but do I learn DOA characters like how I learn SC characters?

normally what I do with SC is going to the character specific forum, learning the top 10 moves, learn some basic combos, some tricks, watch some gameplay videos, and then just take the game online and see how I do. does this work with DOA gameplay system? I feel that going through the entire movelist of the character isn't really that helpful with DOA, but I don't understand jack shit when I watch gameplay videos of the characters I want to learn.

normally what I do with SC is going to the character specific forum, learning the top 10 moves, learn some basic combos, some tricks, watch some gameplay videos, and then just take the game online and see how I do. does this work with DOA gameplay system?
Yeah. Though depending on who you pick there may or may not be information in those forums waiting for you. ._.

Who are you thinking about?

Ultimately, understanding proper P/6P/2P usage, understanding the triangle system, and having some combos in the case of an enemy not holding is enough. You can get by just mixing up a small subset of moves and learn the rest later.

I give up. I truly, truly, truly give up.

I'm punished for trying to vary my attacks and I'm rewarded for constant repetition of the same moves. I am not learning and neither are the players I play against. None of them try to slow escape or block, they just hold, at random points and swing through the air constantly. Or the simply spam strings on a blocking opponent for minutes on end.

I punish, I pull off 50% combos, I repeatedly use the same exact move every time, and they eat it, every time, and they hold every time.

If I try to vary my attacks. If I try to do something new in the match, if I change strategies or doing something unexpected, it is defeated every time. The players simply don't care, and I have no idea how to make them care.

I can see entire strategies for some players at the B rank level in my sleep. I know when exactly they'll do it, they've practically got it down to habit. And yet every time I punish it and every time I win the match and every time we match up again, they continue to use the same strategies and they simply will not work. And I have to deal with them in a very specific fashion, that's not helping me learn or improve. And I'm not sure if I can get it through their skulls that what they're doing isn't going to work on me.

I guess, that in and of itself, would be what I should try to do; find ways to make them look at what I'm doing and take notice. But I'm not sure that's the right kind of learning. I don't think know enough of the character(s) that I do play that I might be able to do something to completely and utter dominate against them. All I know is if I continue to fight them as I do now, I will not improve and I will end up developing bad habits that will be difficult to get rid of.

Maybe I should play a character I'm completely unfamiliar with to get some more perspective. Although there are few I truly like. Or handicap myself with the characters I do play by forbidding myself from using the moves I use often to punish. I can't say for certain. All I can say is, these players I fight against I will always lose to unless I fight them a certain way. And I want to improve and I want them to realize that the tactics they use won't work against me ( or least shouldn't, yet I continue to be caught off guard by their lack of understanding).

i just got 3rd place at Wednesday Night Fights and i just bs'd my way through most of the brackets using bread and butter combos with Momiji. not to mention that i haven't played or practiced the game in about 2-3 weeks. but either way i say my rusty Mila got me through 1/3 of the brackets. and Momiji the rest. i wish i would have practiced before the tourney but there aren't any games at work. :P

am i the only one that thought of shortening Momiji's name and have only come up with Mom? it just keeps coming to me.

I'm punished for trying to vary my attacks and I'm rewarded for constant repetition of the same moves. I am not learning and neither are the players I play against. None of them try to slow escape or block, they just hold, at random points and swing through the air constantly. Or the simply spam strings on a blocking opponent for minutes on end.

I punish, I pull off 50% combos, I repeatedly use the same exact move every time, and they eat it, every time, and they hold every time.

If I try to vary my attacks. If I try to do something new in the match, if I change strategies or doing something unexpected, it is defeated every time. The players simply don't care, and I have no idea how to make them care.

I can see entire strategies for some players at the B rank level in my sleep. I know when exactly they'll do it, they've practically got it down to habit. And yet every time I punish it and every time I win the match and every time we match up again, they continue to use the same strategies and they simply will not work. And I have to deal with them in a very specific fashion, that's not helping me learn or improve. And I'm not sure if I can get it through their skulls that what they're doing isn't going to work on me.

I guess, that in and of itself, would be what I should try to do; find ways to make them look at what I'm doing and take notice. But I'm not sure that's the right kind of learning. I don't think know enough of the character(s) that I do play that I might be able to do something to completely and utter dominate against them. All I know is if I continue to fight them as I do now, I will not improve and I will end up developing bad habits that will be difficult to get rid of.

Maybe I should play a character I'm completely unfamiliar with to get some more perspective. Although there are few I truly like. Or handicap myself with the characters I do play by forbidding myself from using the moves I use often to punish. I can't say for certain. All I can say is, these players I fight against I will always lose to unless I fight them a certain way. And I want to improve and I want them to realize that the tactics they use won't work against me ( or least shouldn't, yet I continue to be caught off guard by their lack of understanding).
Looks like it's time to look for some offline comp then.

Also, it's not your responsibility to change up what you're doing. Rather, it's your opponents responsibility to make you change up.
i just got 3rd place at Wednesday Night Fights and i just bs'd my way through most of the brackets using bread and butter combos with Momiji. not to mention that i haven't played or practiced the game in about 2-3 weeks. but either way i say my rusty Mila got me through 1/3 of the brackets. and Momiji the rest. i wish i would have practiced before the tourney but there aren't any games at work. :P
Well, WNF is kinda filled with alot of new folks so most the comp there isn't that good yet (and, Hajin wasn't able to make it this week, meaning someone else got to win). You really should take advantage of it to start leveling up and making a name for yourself.

Last edited:

You need better competition that is capable of actually thinking. You cannot use logic against someone who does not think about their actions.

Back