Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

OK, i give you that. But i already made clear that it wasn´t meant that way.

Imo it is almost impossbile to adapt only during 2 fights. Players with very good yomi/mind skills can do that yes, but they are rare from my experience.

DOA was and is imo very extreme when it comes to mind and guessing games. Much more than SC or Tekken.

And no, this time i made myself very clear... I said "most people who use Helena..." not anyone.
You're right, it's harder to adapt in DOA on a tournament because you only go for two matches versus SC's 3. Never knew why they did 2 matches though. I mean, I can usually adapt enough but if I lose a round I'll start to panic because I only have one round to fix my mistakes and get in their head. It'd be nice if the standard were 3 matches and not 2.

You're right, it's harder to adapt in DOA on a tournament because you only go for two matches versus SC's 3. Never knew why they did 2 matches though. I mean, I can usually adapt enough but if I lose a round I'll start to panic because I only have one round to fix my mistakes and get in their head. It'd be nice if the standard were 3 matches and not 2.

It´s not about the rounds in tourneys only imo. It´s just that DOA is more mind game/yomi
heavy thus making it more difficult to come back/adapt during 2 rounds compared to other games like SoulCalibur. But that´s just my personal experience.

That's good to hear, do you play on PSN also? I checked on gamefaqs and seemed like the PSN DOA5 Ultimate board was a lot more active then the Xbox side.
I'm mainly on PSN, when I say the Xbox community is bigger, that's just from hearsay. That, and DOA has been Xbox exclusive for 2-3 games. If anything, because of this the killers are on the Xbox side, just like Soul Calibur happened to have its vets on the Sony side (because of PS2 loyalty).

I'm not sure if I am ready to move on to better competition, if I'm having trouble with these players. The thing is, I know I can beat them. I know exactly what moves they're doing and when and I know exactly what the weaknesses are. And yet, I'm unable to beat them because I get in my head that I need to vary my attacks to keep them guessing and it never works on them.
If anything, that is the reason why you have to move on.

A change of pace should be good for you. That, and maybe playing harder players will build an appreciation for spamming and easy mode.

at tourney's DOA has 3 rounds. i was confused by your post because you were using rounds and matches in sort of the same context. so there are 3 rounds. best 2 out of 3 matches. so it's the same as soul calibur. so i don't know what the deal is or what the issue may be here.

I think what JAG is basically saying is that there are so many variables in DoA that you don't really have time to figure out any habits, tells, or anything like that. I could probably word it better, but I know Ryujin told me that he doesn't even like playing casuals in DoA before a tournament because it gives them time to adjust to your habits. Whereas, say if you're playing someone fresh, there's so much to keep up with in DoA that you're, really, doing a lot of blind guesses (or reverting to the safest options) in a lot of situations.

Basically, you can run a bunch of mixups and jank before your opponent has any clue what's going on because, in a lot of situations, there are options that are just as good and/or damaging.

Just my take on it though.

I'm not sure if I am ready to move on to better competition, if I'm having trouble with these players. The thing is, I know I can beat them. I know exactly what moves they're doing and when and I know exactly what the weaknesses are. And yet, I'm unable to beat them because I get in my head that I need to vary my attacks to keep them guessing and it never works on them. I have play a very specific way to beat them and I'm having trouble adapting to it.

I'll punish a player using Brad's 2H+KK then 66P for the CB into a combo. 66P will get held often so I end up switching to just repeating 2H+KK, they hold mid, so I repeat the process three or four times until the critical stun knocks them down. Then I punish them again with 2H+KK and go in for 66P, they hold and I get punished. And I think its my fault (and it is) that I thought they would stop doing that.

There's this Lisa player that always opens up with 1PP and always varies with 1PKKK. If the distance is too great, its 1PP. I block, I punish, they keep doing it. Fine, great, I'll keep punishing. But I don't want to sit there just punishing it. I want to move into the offensive but I can't find ways of getting into that when the opponent is so recklessly stupid (and 1PP is a hard move to deal with since it can be used as a defensive tool). I don't know Momiji or Brad well enough to deal with the move or simply anticipate it. I know Kokoro can't really do much against it at close range (33P or sidestep P are about the only things that can handle it), but since I'm trying to learn Momiji, I would like to be able to stop 1PP before it starts and I'm not exactly sure how I can do that yet.

Basically, I know what the players are going to do, I know how to punish it, but I don't really know how to anticipate it and stop it from happening before it starts. I want to beat their stupid stuff, more than just punishing it, but by not playing a specific way to do it, but the way I want to do it. I want to cut off the head before it starts breathing fire.

Momiji's name is related to maple trees or red leaves. Its generally symbolic with autumn So if you wanted to give her a pet name or a nick name. You could always call her red, autumn, or maple (syrup).

I think your problem is that you're overthinking things. That's rule #1 of DOA: Don't Overthink Things; and a common error that people make. Just use what works until it stops working, THEN you can change things up and show off your "move variance". However that's also why I hate DOA's online at times because it's harder to decipher legit tactics from lag tactics especially when your holds don't come out 60% of the time.

If you know you can beat your opponents, visually what works from past experiences then work on that in the lab or in casual matches. Don't assume that your opponent will respond a certain way unless you KNOW they will respond in that certain way. Remember to not overthink the situation. If the opponent keeps getting hit by Brad or Kokoro's 2H+KK, then keep doing it until they correctly respond to it! Who gives a shit if they don't adapt? That's their problem not yours!

Though this is also the reason why you should be playing better players. You shouldn't be playing people that get scrubbed out by 2H+KK's all the time (unless there's lots of bullshit lag of course). You need to face opponents that make you see that playing cheaply isn't a terrible thing if you can change it up when required. I'm a cheapass online because I can't play Ayane properly in lag. I also heavily recommend playing this game offline. When you and your opponent can respond to everything appropriately the gameplay dynamics and yomi multiply tenfold.

TL:DR

- Don't overthink the situation and pay attention to what works
- Seek out better players
- Try to play this game offline
- Smile ;) and message "TROLOLOLOL" if you get hate mail for your 2H+KK spam

I wouldn't mind taking a look at them. I like looking at different playstyles with various characters.

How are you going to distribute the replays?

Basically, you can run a bunch of mixups and jank before your opponent has any clue what's going on because, in a lot of situations, there are options that are just as good and/or damaging.

Just my take on it though.
This is basically why I'm not sold on DOA as a tournament game. It's fun as hell for casuals though. And like Drake said I think playing it will help you be more conscious of reading the opponent in other games as well.

This is basically why I'm not sold on DOA as a tournament game. It's fun as hell for casuals though. And like Drake said I think playing it will help you be more conscious of reading the opponent in other games as well.

DOA makes you ridiculously good at other fighting games, and people tend to hate you for it too. First they hear you're from that scrubby fighting game nobody takes seriously, and they will all be getting hit by your crazy yolo tactics in Soul Calibur and Tekken and be like "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!" and then you'll be like "Cause it worked, bish. #dealwithit".

I wouldn't mind taking a look at them. I like looking at different playstyles with various characters.

How are you going to distribute the replays?

I dunno. I figured that since the replay file in on the PS3 could be moved to a USB, I could upload to a site like this one let people download it and then have them upload it.

Or I could upload it to a public youtube channel (FSD's one, maybe?) although I would require the password to do so and I'm not entirely certain everyone would want to watch a player like me lose to dumb stuff. Anywho, still thinking about it.

DOA makes you ridiculously good at other fighting games, and people tend to hate you for it too. First they hear you're from that scrubby fighting game nobody takes seriously, and they will all be getting hit by your crazy yolo tactics in Soul Calibur and Tekken and be like "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!" and then you'll be like "Cause it worked, bish. #dealwithit".

Eh, I had some trouble transition back into Soul Calibur after playing DOA5 for a few months. They're very different mechanically. Though, I suppose the yomi used in DOA5 could transfer to SC5 or other games, but the execution level wouldn't. I still can't do SPUD in VF5, but I can do it just fine in DOA5. Speaking of which...

Pick Akira, then do something like 2P46P. Then do something like 2146P. Then do 214 wait then 6P and note how long the window is between the first inputs and the last. Now do 46P without doing it too fast, just a normal back then forward motion without rush. Then do it again using the 46P+K input. Odds are you'll get 6P+K instead of 46P+K. Now reverse positions and do it all over again, notice how much tighter the inputs are on the second player side versus the first player side, except for 214, 6P.

Akira isn't the only one that has these odd and inconsistent windows. Eliot's window for PP46P is wider in Ultimate than DOA5. Yet his normal 46P is still tightly constrained. Kokoro's 46PP is a little easier in Ultimate than 5 - on par with Hitomi's 46P window now, but inputs for throws are still incredibly tight for some characters and lax for others 33 inputs like Rig's or Hitomi's are pretty lax when it comes to kicks or punches, but try the same input for the throw and its a lot tighter. One could argue this is done because the overall character difficulty between characters is different, so inputs are less tight for more beginner friendly characters and harder for more difficult characters. But then you run into issues like when I mentioned Hayate's Raijin being and incredibly tight and difficult input, yet deals less damage than his Narikiyu. This also bleeds into (still) several offensive holds like Bayman's half-health OH (GDT?) being pretty lax on the inputs vs. escape windows, yet his standard mid punch hold is much harder to input during the limited window opportunities, or his 46T OHs.

Maybe the upcoming patch will address this? I can't say for sure. I am assuming that big patch is just preparation for the Halloween costumes and the Arcade character (to be downloaded and purchased separately).

To momentarily change to a slightly more casual topic, does anyone have a grasp of the costume unlocking mechanics in the game? Previously I thought costumes could only be unlocked through grinding through the offline modes with a character, or playing 10 ranked matches with a character, with the exception of some costumes unlocking by clearing offline modes on highest difficulty or playing a certain amount of ranked matches. There however seems to be something else also in play, since I yesterday got a message that a costume was unlocked for La Mariposa when I exited a lobby, and when looking I found a new costume had in fact been unlocked. I used La Mariposa in a few matches in the lobby but noticed nothing out of the ordinary, except for getting the achievment of having played 100 online matches. Is there some way of unlocking costumes also by playing in a lobby?

has anyone bought any of the new costumes? i want to but i don't know if people that don't own them can see them or not. if they can't then i don't want to buy them. i buy these things to show off that i have money and to show off my girls. if i can't do that then there's no point.

Costumes can be unlocked through time trial and arcade runs, as well as through online play. The single player runs are definitely the fastest way though.

has anyone bought any of the new costumes? i want to but i don't know if people that don't own them can see them or not. if they can't then i don't want to buy them.
They can't, unless they download the compatibility pack (just like SCV).

I'm still set on buying Rachel's new costume (once she gets nerfed...)

Back