Fan-made SOUL EDGE 2 Game Demo/Beta!

• Admin
A fellow member of 8WAYRUN @saki has been working tirelessly for the past few months on a fan-made version of SOUL EDGE 2. The game is based on the very popular M.U.G.E.N. platform, so naturally its a 2D, 6 button fighter. But this isn't just some simple M.U.G.E.N. mod; he's customized everything, down to the menus and the music.

Since this is the first public version of the game, only a few characters are currently available: Cervantes, Mitsurugi, Taki, Sophitia, Siegfried, Nightmare, Ivy, Astaroth, Seong Mi-Na, Jin Kazama (Tekken) and Saber (Fate). There are also seven iconic Soulcalibur stages recreated in 2D form. Saki informs us that not all characters are complete (only 4 characters even have throws), and that this is strictly a beta.

mugen000.png mugen001.png mugen002.png mugen003.png mugen004.png mugen005.png mugen008.png mugen009.png mugen010.png

Downloads:

Instructions for use:
  1. Extract the first part named "Soul Edge II" to somewhere on your computer, "My Documents" is probably the easiest place to remember.
  2. Extract the other four parts into the "Soul Edge II" folder.
  3. If you've correctly done this your folder should look like this.
  4. Run the "MUGEN" application and your game will start.
To navigate the menu use the arrow keys and "a" on your keyboard or "Enter" to select an option. You can configure your inputs in the Options menu to suit your needs. The default input uses "a" and "s" for attacking with your weapon or fists; "z", "x" and "c" are used to attack with kicks. To taunt you can use "f". To use power-ups, press "d" and "c" simultaneously.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
How do you play this once you downloaded the files?
  1. The first part contains the main MUGEN folder. Extract this wherever you please.
  2. The subsequent parts contain extra folders that are to be extracted inside the main folder you extracted in step 1.
  3. If you've done it right, the folder should look something like this.
  4. OPTIONAL: To configure your commands, navigate the menus as shown, using the arrows and ENTER. Note that the keys you map here will also be used for the menus, so if you change movement to, say, WASD, you will navigate the menus with those.
In the Soul Edge II file there should be an application called "Mugen". Run it and it will start the game.
Please add these steps to OP to avoid confusion.

I know that this is a Beta but I'd just like to point out a bug: in character selection for duel it lets you pick Player 1 characters but then goes straight to stage selection and does nothing? Is this just me?

I know that this is a Beta but I'd just like to point out a bug: in character selection for duel it lets you pick Player 1 characters but then goes straight to stage selection and does nothing? Is this just me?
Player 2 needs to choose a character too lol.

Well... I knew about this already because beta's of the characters are on Saltybet.

Having downloaded the characters and given them a go myself... well... it doesn't take much inspiration from it's source, and I can see glaring balance issues such as Astaroth's low light punch, which is a half-screen, 5-frame uppercut with his axe, but is also somehow a low? And then also somehow hits aerial opponents?

It needs a lot of work, and if it were me, I would slow it down a little and, even if it's simply recycled animations at varying speeds, I would try to add some directional attacks and strings just to give it somewhat of a more Soul feel... And I wouldn't be so quick to use the name Soul Edge II either... :S

I didn't download the full game though, I'm just going through the files and testing in FF3, so if this is somehow all different from that .exe, then... yeah.

Last edited:

Live streams

2 Viewers
kazumi_takeuchi_
kazumi_takeuchi_
I wanna friend for Steam [friend code: 796175443] -- I'm a newbie
1 Viewers
Deyzuna_
Deyzuna_
Hey! Some Soulcal til PoE Necropolis League :D

Forum statistics

Threads