Here's what you'd be left with

You hit it right on, Sponge. I'm not suggesting that Hilde is the start of the chain, but merely a link in it. It's already been done, and thankfully it managed to take a couple steps backward by unbanning Vader and Starkiller. Maybe next year, even they will become allowed, but I'm not holding my breath on that. In fact, I actually predicted that Hilde would be the next person to become banned when I was fighting for everyone else to be legal.

That is true. Again, it is merely speculation based on analysis.

If it were fact, it wouldn't make for a good debate, now would it?

True. Still though, a character ban will drive some players away. At some point, there's going to be diminishing returns to the benefit of competitive play. Add the fact that community's kinda small as it is, and I wonder if we're not standing at that threshold already.

You hit it right on, Sponge. I'm not suggesting that Hilde is the start of the chain, but merely a link in it. It's already been done, and thankfully it managed to take a couple steps backward by unbanning Vader and Starkiller. Maybe next year, even they will become allowed, but I'm not holding my breath on that. In fact, I actually predicted that Hilde would be the next person to become banned when I was fighting for everyone else to be legal.

Ah, I see.

Well I hope no one has to be banned at the end of it, but we'll find out after nationals.

[edit: This is not directed at you Sponge, I'm just using this quote to start my post.]

Funny, because the death combo has been known about for a very long time. It's been on youtube already for a long time. It's been used in videos for a long time. Norcal, the area where we don't have ANYTHING banned is thriving more than it ever has from what I've been told.

Maybe all you people are just pansy banning bitches and need to learn how to roll with the punches.

truth. seconded.

Videos of cedric has been pretty much up since the first norcal monthly like last year. We also lifted any bans that people may of put on sw and algol, and I have to say, we're still playing the damn thing like it's just release day.

I have gatherings every week, and I know a few people that meets weekly-ish as well. Every tourny I see people improve 100x, and while going against cedric is tough, so is going against any of the top 5 placers at our gatherings. And it's not like cedric sweeps it all easily either; he FIGHTS for placing against the other top players and alex pretty much makes it around 1:1-ish anyways.

Ok, Craftsmen, here's what's going to happen if you all get your way and your cries for bans are answered, also what happens when you extend their logic.

Banned characters
Yoda: He can't be thrown, most highs miss, lows can miss if he decides to attack at the same time, monstrous combos up-close with full force, costs money for some players to practice with/against, this isn't Star Wars
Algol: He shoots projectiles, teleports, has very safe moves, boss character
Vader: Costs money for some people, this isn't Star Wars.
Starkiller: Breaks out of grabs with force, this isn't Star Wars.
Hilde: Skilled players can ring out from practically any distance.
Kilik: I don't like Asura Dance.
Cassanda: Hitbox issues

These are just actual complaints I've heard causing some people to ask for bans. Let's extend that logic to see who else would have to be included, shall we?

Nightmare: Grim Roundhouse picks up from grounded and rings out, Grim Stride makes high horizontals whiff.
Lizardman: Crawling stance can't be grabbed except by crouch grabs.
Astaroth: Can grab from any position, breaks grabs while backturned.
Rock: Infinite grab combo, even though breakable.
Raphael: Teleports.
Cervantes: Teleports, shoots projectiles.
Yoshimitsu: Teleports, flies, heals, this isn't Tekken.
Setsuka: Just Impacts better.
Voldo: Blocks backturned, poses can only be crouch-grabbed, breaks grabs backturned, different attacks for females/males.
Taki: An unblockable attack can launch opponent so she can leap and RO.
Yun-Seoung: Crane stance completely negates vertical attacks.
Amy: Small hitbox.
Xianghua: Can attack while grounded.
Tira: 2 characters in one. Nobody else gets entirely separate movelists.

Wow, lots of reasons to ban things. If this ban logic (if it can be called that) is extended to that point, here's what we'll end up with.

Ya know what you're right, and here's something else, when you're walking down the street and you see an empty can sitting next to a recycling bin on the ground, picking it up and putting it in the bin is a horrible idea, I mean if you're going to pick up a can why not run across the street and grab that bottle? Why not go a block off course to get a news paper on the side of the road? Before long you're running all over town picking up every piece of trash you see and putting it in it's place, with you're hands bloody and useless from al lthe broken bottles you just HAD to throw out!

But seriously, you do realize that what you're using is called a slippery slope argument, and that slippery slope arguments are considered flawed logic?

The reason for this is, you're taking one event and claiming it will lead to any number of dooms day scenarios with no real reason or evidence behind it.

Allow me to give you an example you'll understand.

If we refuse to ban anyone regardless of reasons for doing so, eventually Namco and companies in general will begin to disregard balance completely, leading to a character so blatantly overpowered not even people like you would deny it, but since (according to you) banning ANYONE, no matter how good the reason for it is, will inevitably lead to over half the caste being banned for absurd reasons, we will HAVE to live with that blatantly over powered character.

Now there are obvious flaws in that paragraph, and those same flaws (and more) are present in yours. Sure it's a POSSIBLE outcome, but it is neither the only outcome or even the most likely. But one part about it is true.

If you're right about the inevitable outcome of banning a character, than that means even if a character has an instant one hit kill unblockable with infinite range, banning that character will lead to over half the caste being gone, making banning it a bad idea.

You can think whatever you want about the characters that have already been banned, but don't pull random outcomes out of your ass.

Why are we allowing the greyed out characters in the roster? Sure, we had to unlock those but plenty of people really don't wanna play Arcade mode or Tower of Souls just to unlock all of them. Ban every character except the ones we're able to pick when we first put the disc in.

Why are we allowing the greyed out characters in the roster? Sure, we had to unlock those but plenty of people really don't wanna play Arcade mode or Tower of Souls just to unlock all of them. Ban every character except the ones we're able to pick when we first put the disc in.

Minus Hilde and Vadar of course.

Videos of cedric has been pretty much up since the first norcal monthly like last year. We also lifted any bans that people may of put on sw and algol, and I have to say, we're still playing the damn thing like it's just release day.

I have gatherings every week, and I know a few people that meets weekly-ish as well. Every tourny I see people improve 100x, and while going against cedric is tough, so is going against any of the top 5 placers at our gatherings. And it's not like cedric sweeps it all easily either; he FIGHTS for placing against the other top players and alex pretty much makes it around 1:1-ish anyways.

You're making me feel bad that I -still- haven't fought Cedric aside from that very last tournament I went to with you. ><

Those were 6 short matches lol. XD

But seriously, you do realize that what you're using is called a slippery slope argument, and that slippery slope arguments are considered flawed logic?

The reason for this is, you're taking one event and claiming it will lead to any number of dooms day scenarios with no real reason or evidence behind it.

Thanks for joining the conversation, your points are new and exciting!

What do you guys think about mods (game mods, not forum mods) in competitive gaming?

Back