Is Create-A-Soul Important?

Is Create-A-Soul Important?

• YES

Votes: 80 92.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
None of those games are fighters, and some who like fighters also like customization. I for example create D&D characters and stuff from my friends and my games and pick the closest style to them and fight with them. Also use the game to design some characters as I make them. Is fun for us to be able to make our characters and fight them against each other actively.
Is it just the fighting against each other part or is it generally the combat element part. Skyrim and Monster Hunter have the latter and you can still create your D&D characters and stuff from your friends in those two games.

Like in Monster Hunter I've created Cervantes with dual blades, Girardot with a shield and lance and Mina with her Insect Glaive. They're like CaS but can do a lot more when it comes to customization. From SC3 and onward, the customization is very limited; it maybe enough for you but for me it's never enough; I wish custom elements serve more than one purpose for game play; SC CaS isn't that way.

Last edited:
Honestly I use it for both, I love character creation for the sake of it. Between my two accounts I have created a total of about 1000 characters, but I equally love the gameplay. It also gives me a good middle ground for being able to play characters I don't like, by creating a separate CaS for it. Maybe I want a power trip, but I hate ivy. I'll make a CaS.

To replace an original character (in your case Ivy) with CaS, that's like a sick burn to the developer's creation.

For me I wouldn't due to the fact that I play SC pretty competitively and respect the move sets that belong to the originals; they are designed specifically for those characters. Besides CaS are banned in tournaments due to different hit box collisions and weapon reaches (long or short).

To replace an original character (in your case Ivy) with CaS, that's like a sick burn to the developer's creation.

For me I wouldn't due to the fact that I play SC pretty competitively and respect the move sets that belong to the originals; they are designed specifically for those characters. Besides CaS are banned in tournaments due to different hit box collisions and weapon reaches (long or short).
Clearly the CaS aspect of SC has a huge fan base. I get it, you don't like it. Others do and always will and that's ok. I like fighters, but I don't always like all the characters the developers create and some times I want my own cast. As for replacing a developers character with ones own being an insult, BS. Most CaS players aren't super into tournaments so the tournament argue means nothing to us. Look we get it, it's not for you, same as tournaments aren't for us. There's however not enough of you to support the game by yourselves, nor is there enough of us to do so by ourselves either. Trying to get us to leave will if successful do nothing but kill the game and vice versa. You're stuck with us at this point and we you.

Clearly the CaS aspect of SC has a huge fan base. I get it, you don't like it. Others do and always will and that's ok. I like fighters, but I don't always like all the characters the developers create and some times I want my own cast. As for replacing a developers character with ones own being an insult, BS. Most CaS players aren't super into tournaments so the tournament argue means nothing to us. Look we get it, it's not for you, same as tournaments aren't for us. There's however not enough of you to support the game by yourselves, nor is there enough of us to do so by ourselves either. Trying to get us to leave will if successful do nothing but kill the game and vice versa. You're stuck with us at this point and we you.
I already get that you guys have a world of your own while competitive players have theirs, but that's not really the point where I'm getting at. Even as a casual player what more does CaS have to offer that's really the point? cuz if it's just showing off a bunch of skins parading in costumes then might as well go for dress up games for mobile device when a much powerful machine can do more than that. Replacing an original with CaS is insulting because it makes players forget about the originals which in turn makes them forget what part of the game is about. Nonetheless, CaS is important to Namco because of sales, I don't mind being stuck with you guys as I'm bored at times and would like to debate since that's what the OP is encouraging here.

Actual transcript of above debate.

@franman: CaS is 4 filthy casuals
Dat's a poorly posted transcript.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not getting a "I hate CaS and you're all bad" vibe here.

If I may, I just feel like Franman is trying to understand the appeal beyond simple aesthetics, saying that a more worthwhile CaS mode would be one that had some unique or interesting gameplay elements and mechanics as opposed to "making a skin for a character" as well as wondering why people choose Soulcalibur in particular compared to other options available.

For some people it's about bringing a character to life within an environment they already enjoy (Soulcalibur), which is why I suppose there's preference to other systems and games you mentioned Franman. Skyrim, for example has it's own limitations but I'm sure there're people who prefer that as a medium for realising their characters or what have you. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because with Soulcalibur you can instantly enter into gameplay and action with your creations, as opposed to RPGs which often have long periods of build-up before truly 'realising' your character.

But this is just conjecture as it's never something I thought about personally.

For my part I like 'calibur and I like customisation in games, so those two things came together nicely. I came here to improve myself as a player and found a niche little community of artsy-minded people alongside that.

I already get that you guys have a world of your own while competitive players have theirs, but that's not really the point where I'm getting at. Even as a casual player what more does CaS have to offer that's really the point? cuz if it's just showing off a bunch of skins parading in costumes then might as well go for dress up games for mobile device when a much powerful machine can do more than that. Replacing an original with CaS is insulting because it makes players forget about the originals which in turn makes them forget what part of the game is about. Nonetheless, CaS is important to Namco because of sales, I don't mind being stuck with you guys as I'm bored at times and would like to debate since that's what the OP is encouraging here.

Dat's a poor transcript.
Again using myself as an example. My girlfriend and I both play soulcalibur and D&D and love creating our avatars from thosr games into soulcalibur to compete with each other. We don't have seperate systems we don't play each other online. She had a short attention span so isn't into RPG videogames and such doesn't serve the purpose of making the many characters we create.

So this is what soulcalibur provides. An outlet where we can artisrically convert our beloved chatacters (especially those from games that ended) into fighters a genra we both enjoy, easily fire up, sit next to each other and play a few rounds using our beloved characters any time we want. Quick, easy and enjoyable for us both.

Nothing else you mentioned nor does any other fighter allow for us to do or experience this. Is unique to soulcalibur and is why it's so important to me. I can literally not get this experience from any other game. Is as a result the game my girlfriend and I play more than any other together.

So you want to know what I'm getting from it I can't from the games you mention that's it.

There's an HUGE base of truth on that post, the bold part in particular

I used to have the biggest likely most appreciated CaS thread here during SC5, and i got no problem to say that CaS also RUINED my SC experience

As designer i seen CaS just as another tool to do design. Got TONS of fun using it, hours and days

As SC fan i hated it online. And i was a SC fan even before it even had an editor (SC1)

And ALL it's not CAS fault, not Pros fault or whatever
Problem is Namco being stupid as fuck, not wanting give us a super simple option for online: CAS YES/NO

I think it's awesome SC have an editor and i'm the first to have fun with it.
But i buy SC because i like SC, so i will like play online and feel it's SC without be forced by namco to face CaS people and theyr stuff

Just as if i buy SFV i play vs Ryu, Zangief, Chun Li etc, i will like an OPTION to play SC vs Mitsu, Nightmare, Ivy etc

There's absolutely no superior reason to push into anybody's throat this
1538437925707.png

Last edited:
And that's how I want you to answer my inquiry. Your situational answer is enough to justify that.

@WindupSkeleton see I wish I have more debates like that; a more of a rational open-minded type of discussion than a hostile one based on assumptions. I may debate u soon when I get some rational thoughts in my head.
Sure man, but like I said I don't have many personal opinions on this topic so I'm not sure what I could provide by way of a debate. But yeah no worries :)

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy CaS way more than I should, but I really enjoy playing competitively online, I'm just not that great, i'll probably be trapped at like c2 or c1 at best. I just don't like ivy's personality very much. I understand your viewpoint but i just am not a fan of dominatrixes. I magically lost all my skills on the third day of the beta, so i got stuck at f2. That sucked. I just enojoy soul calibur as a game. Just for context though, i make costumes
for characters i actually like, so basically everyone except ivy and piratebeard.

Now I read through this again, it's probably easier for me to just quote windupskeleton.
For my part I like 'calibur and I like customisation in games, so those two things came together nicely. I came here to improve myself as a player and found a niche little community of artsy-minded people alongside that.

haha, debate is heating up :)

First i am very much aligned with Le Bello and ArdenWolf, but i also like the debate sparked by Gatsu and Franman...
As franman said, many things could be done to extend the formula : besides what he said about the movesets, i could think about designing your own ExEqs or stickers, creating faces, even stages, since it is possible in other games...but the resources required to do it are substantial and the fighting needs to remain prevalent imho.

As i say, i am a casual not competitive player, but I beg to differ.
I don't think CAS are even remotely insulting to the devs as long a minimum of love and care goes into making them better and more original than the 1P/2P designs. The fact that devs put us up against half-assed or downright ugly CAS clones in solo modes, well THAT'S insulting because they could show us what they can do and have unlockable CAS costumes of their own making to showcase to our creative community !

Ok, i am not that much into Japanese anime designs, but some of SC5 original costumes were rather bland and lacking punch (fortunately, we were given the option to recolor them to our liking).
SC6 costume designs are nicely done but aren't really standing out from what i have seen so far (but i try not to spoil the discovery of the new chars too much (i chose not to watch the reveal vids for instance). Out of the new ones i threw a glance at, i really don't like Gro's typical standard-fare jap design with anime hair and purple hues, eeew ! but i wasn't a big fan of Ein either...so that's Zwei i don't like of the newcomers, if you get me. And the return of inferno, come on, what a waste of a character slot, edge master was...well...edgy, as seems to be the enchanter guys Az well :)

Let's admit it, some original SC costumes / designs are extremely cliché, but this is firstly cultural : we all have clichés on each-other's countries, like americans are always LIKELY to brag (wink) and frenchman are always likely to protest for no apparent reason...btw the latter is true i can tell :)
It is also probably marketing, in order to appeal to the wider audience and keep your fanbase, you are bound to have an artistic continuity over the years, which i totally respect.

In a nutshell, CAS are just a way to extend the game experience beyond the boundaries of preset designs, and the most artistically and technically gifted CAS artists out there have found ways to create wonderful designs they can all be proud of for their sheer originality or wow factor.
CAS editor is just a tool and a nice bonus to enrich an otherwise very bland solo experience for non competitive players (SC4 was great solo, 5 was bland). Everyone is free to use it or not !
I also agree with Gatsu that we should not be forced to play against ugly MK CAS clones online, but there were also private lobbies for gentlemen, if you weren't not into laggy glitchy ranked matches with rage quitters and all. At least that is the way we went with some friends, and when connection was good (most of the time), it really was a bliss to watch each other's stuff in action in (usually) hard fought battles ! (there was that sneaky RO or two though :)

CAS is both a blessing : it is a good way for people who don't draw or paint to create, it is fun and it is social !
...and a curse : can be really time consuming, there are equally shitty and beautiful CAS on display, and yes, it might detract you from honing your fighting skills...

To the question : would i buy a Soul Calibur game without CAS : YES
To the question : would i understand if CAS was left out of SC6 : NO

Last edited:
haha, debate is heating up :)

First i am very much aligned with Le Bello and ArdenWolf, but i also like the debate sparked by Gatsu and Franman...
As franman said, many things could be done to extend the formula : besides what he said about the movesets, i could think about designing your own ExEqs or stickers, creating faces, even stages, since it is possible in other games...but the resources required to do it are substantial and the fighting needs to remain prevalent imho.

As i say, i am a casual not competitive player, but I beg to differ.
I don't think CAS are even remotely insulting to the devs as long a minimum of love and care goes into making them better and more original than the 1P/2P designs. The fact that devs put us up against half-assed or downright ugly CAS clones in solo modes, well THAT'S insulting because they could show us what they can do and have unlockable CAS costumes of their own making to showcase to our creative community !

Ok, i am not that much into Japanese anime designs, but some of SC5 original costumes were rather bland and lacking punch (fortunately, we were given the option to recolor them to our liking).
SC6 costume designs are nicely done but aren't really standing out from what i have seen so far (but i try not to spoil the discovery of the new chars too much (i chose not to watch the reveal vids for instance). Out of the new ones i threw a glance at, i really don't like Gro's typical standard-fare jap design with anime hair and purple hues, eeew ! but i wasn't a big fan of Ein either...so that's Zwei i don't like of the newcomers, if you get me. And the return of inferno, come on, what a waste of a character slot, edge master was...well...edgy, as seems to be the enchanter guys Az well :)

Let's admit it, some original SC costumes / designs are extremely cliché, but this is firstly cultural : we all have clichés on each-other's countries, like americans are always LIKELY to brag (wink) and frenchman are always likely to protest for no apparent reason...btw the latter is true i can tell :)
It is also probably marketing, in order to appeal to the wider audience and keep your fanbase, you are bound to have an artistic continuity over the years, which i totally respect.

In a nutshell, CAS are just a way to extend the game experience beyond the boundaries of preset designs, and the most artistically and technically gifted CAS artists out there have found ways to create wonderful designs they can all be proud of for their sheer originality or wow factor.
CAS editor is just a tool and a nice bonus to enrich an otherwise very bland solo experience for non competitive players (SC4 was great solo, 5 was bland). Everyone is free to use it or not !
I also agree with Gatsu that we should not be forced to play against ugly MK CAS clones online, but there were also private lobbies for gentlemen, if you weren't not into laggy glitchy ranked matches with rage quitters. At least that is the way we went with some friends, and when connection was good (most of the time), it really was a bliss to watch each other's stuff in action in (usually) hard fought battles ! (there was that sneaky RO or two though :)

CAS is both a blessing : it is a good way for people who don't draw or paint to create, it is fun and it is social !
...and a curse : can be really time consuming, there are equally shitty and beautiful CAS on display, and yes, it might detract you from honing your fighting skills...

To the question : would i buy a Soul Calibur game without CAS : YES
To the question : would i understand if CAS was left out of SC6 : NO
I wouldn't buy a soulcalibur without CaS at this point as it's literally my only option for a fighter like this with a decent character creation option. If soulcalibur were to drop it I'd literally be left with no options and if it were successful without it things would possibly stay that way forever. Soulcalibur with CaS is a big part of my life and I'll support that but I can't support it removing the one unique thing that puts it above all other fighters for me.

If there were other good options for what I need maybe. As soulcalibur is the only one supporting it without it means the death of it pretty much for any forseeable future.

Skyrim, for example has it's own limitations but I'm sure there're people who prefer that as a medium for realising their characters or what have you. If I had to guess, I'd say it's because with Soulcalibur you can instantly enter into gameplay and action with your creations, as opposed to RPGs which often have long periods of build-up before truly 'realising' your character.
I respect ppl's choice of simple customization, but as a consumer, I think it's a waste money. From my own consumer's POV I've spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of advanced tech for the sake of handling more complicated gaming tasks. Then when it comes to buying an $80 game based on customization, I would love to see how in-depth the hardware takes the customization aspect of things. If I were just a casual player who's deep into customization, then I wouldn't even consider Soul Calibur 6.

I respect ppl's choice of simple customization, but as a consumer, I think it's a waste money. From my own consumer's POV I've spent hundreds of dollars on a piece of advanced tech for the sake of handling more complicated gaming tasks. Then when it comes to buying an $80 game based on customization, I would love to see how in-depth the hardware takes the customization aspect of things. If I were just a casual player who's deep into customization, then I wouldn't even consider Soul Calibur 6.
Show us a fighter that does it better. See the problem yet? Soulcalibur may not have the best customization ever, but if you want customization in a weapons based based fighter it's the best you can get at the moment.

Mortal Kombat Armagedon
Which sadly isn't impressive enough for me but only as a casual.
Can't tell much about the full options from that video really. Plus the graphics suck. Plus I don't think anyone who even likes CaS even knew about that game. I certainly didn't. Heard about it recently and that it bombed, probably because, as I said had no idea MK ever had a game with creation until recently. If I had heard would have bought it for certain. Currently though, those graphics are monstrously out of date...

Anybody else appreciate being able to take proper screenshots of your customs?

And CaS is something you can’t back away from

Back