Ivy SCIV->SCV Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walls of text up in this thread. Even though I'm old as dirt now I know my hands can do anything SCIV might ask them to, just the same, I always want the game to be more simple and more accessible. The fight should be between minds, not between hands. If you want something to practice, practice your yomi.

I really don't want Ivy dumbed down (too much).
One of the reasons I liked her was that she required more skill to play than most other characters, her different stances added a lot of depth to her play.

Hopefully she won't lose her edge (no pun intended).

One of the reasons I liked her was that she required more skill to play than most other characters, her different stances added a lot of depth to her play.

But she takes less skill to play than most characters in her current form. She just looks daunting at first because of her stances. Then you learn that in each stance there's about 2-3 moves that are so good you wouldn't need anything else. She only takes "more skill" if you want to get flashy and execution heavy, which honestly isn't too good to do in a competitive setting.

On topic though - One thing I noticed in the comicon trailer just released, looks like her
:B:::6::B:::4::B:::6::B:::4::B: in whatever stance it is in SCV might be worth it to learn this time around, as a GB effect was added on the last hit.

Yeah, she has a lot more moves/combo possibilities, which I love. I really don't like how they're dumbing her down.
But she takes less skill to play than most characters in her current form. She just looks daunting at first because of her stances. Then you learn that in each stance there's about 2-3 moves that are so good you wouldn't need anything else. She only takes "more skill" if you want to get flashy and execution heavy, which honestly isn't too good to do in a competitive setting.

On topic though - One thing I noticed in the comicon trailer just released, looks like her
:B:::6::B:::4::B:::6::B:::4::B: in whatever stance it is in SCV might be worth it to learn this time around, as a GB effect was added on the last hit.
You're right, she only has a few useful moves to guarantee high damage.. But do you really think taking away Coil will fix this?
And the GB effect isn't so much added as it is returned. It used to be GB, but they got rid of it in either 3 or 4. I know it's gone in 4, but I don't remember on 3 or not.

Because it must be asked; would it not be fair to speculate that's the engine's fault and not the fault of her character design?

-Idle

It is mostly the engine's fault. The engine not being very friendly to the aggressor and Ivy not having very many ways to pressure outside of SG damage forced the current Ivy meta we see today.

Because it must be asked; would it not be fair to speculate that's the engine's fault and not the fault of her character design?

-Idle

It would, doesn't make the statement any less true though. I didn't say it was a fault in design, but it was more in response to, "she's so advanced!" When in SCIV, she's really not. Making her accessible won't change her design much. I think people will still be happy that she feels advanced, whether or not she actually is.

A few things I noticed in the videos:

- the pushback of her moves has been nerfed, most notably SW 3B
- "CL" WS B (now from SW) doesn't even force crouch anymore on block
- old CL 3B doesn't seem to launch high enough on NH even for SW 6B8 to work (like in SC3)
- second hit of the new WSBB (?) seems to track a bit

That new move has some strange properties. It appears to hit and stun the airborne opponents on the ground. Also it looks awfully unsafe on whiff and block (the first hit anyway, the second one probably can be stepped or GIed)

A few things I noticed in the videos:

- the pushback of her moves has been nerfed, most notably SW 3B
- "CL" WS B (now from SW) doesn't even force crouch anymore on block
- old CL 3B doesn't seem to launch high enough on NH even for SW 6B8 to work (like in SC3)
- second hit of the new WSBB (?) seems to track a bit

That new move has some strange properties. It appears to hit and stun the airborne opponents on the ground. Also it looks awfully unsafe on whiff and block (the first hit anyway, the second one probably can be stepped or GIed)
The new hit.. I never saw them land both parts, except after 3A+B unblockable, and the second part was when died.

Oh, you're right. I wasn't paying attention to life bar, silly me! Either way the move looks interesting Hopefully it's not one of those useless attacks that were only meant to be flashy vide SCIV WP 6bA+B

Oh, you're right. I wasn't paying attention to life bar, silly me! Either way the move looks interesting Hopefully it's not one of those useless attacks that were only meant to be flashy vide SCIV WP 6bA+B
Yeah, that move doesn't serve /much/ of a point, but it is pretty good damage-wise. Just hard to find a place for it.

Has anyone ever considered that they might provide two different methods to input SS and CS? The easy method would be by using the meter (which would have the disadvantage of costing meter but would make Ivy more accessible to anyone). The harder method would be the traditional input, but wouldn't cost any meter. Actually, this would be a great idea, because it would cater to both newcomers and veterans. Maybe this is what was meant in the interview.

Oh, and it looks like her supersidestep uppercut is back from SCII, then transitioning into :B:::6::B:::4::B:::6::B:::4::B:

I'm kind of glad that they got rid of her coil state, I didn't really use it much.
All I like to use it for is for :8::8::+::B:/:2::2::+::B: lol. Although I loved Ivy's moveset in SC2 I think it would be awesome if it were similar but with the option to control the states in the later games so she is not limited.

I don't know about making her moveset easier for people is a good or bad idea. I would hate if she turned out like SC4 Kilik and was too overpowered and could just button mash to victory >_> It would ruin my respect for the character :( but on the other hand, if they do it right it would be awesome to see newcomers pulling off combos and Ivy players the chance to master and memorise her moveset ^^

Please.

These stances are what made Ivy a fantastic and deep character in SCII, with a great rhythm and flow.

Bring back "Spiral Tribute" and "Serpent's Embrace," Namco!!!

meh. I prefer the stances she can enter and remain in freely versus one's that you progress force you to in and out of. SE was good in SC2 but bad in 4. I was never a fan of spiral but it was more interesting than coiled.

SC1 !!!!! Imo thats the most bare bones one ever. I havent played SC1 competitively so cant say much but shes the most simple of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back