KiLLer Instinct [Xbox One Exclusive]

Seeing this game on the EVO stream made me dislike it even more.

-Movement looks slow as hell.
-Characters hardly do any damage, even WITH combos, making fights unbearably long. If I want to timer scam my opponents I'll play Cross Tekken, thank you.
-Announcer sucks compared to the original, gets annoying really quickly.

And now they're announcing that they're trying to incorporate Kinect to recognize your face and voice so it can configure buttons and other settings. That is beyond creepy.

Seeing this game on the EVO stream made me dislike it even more.
-Characters hardly do any damage, even WITH combos, making fights unbearably long. If I want to timer scam my opponents I'll play Cross Tekken, thank you.
So I guess you want 50%+ combo type characters don't you?

I thought I heard the game Devs talking about how you get big combo damage in this game, which sounded strange. From what I heard, landing a lot of hits doesn't do a lot of damage, but then you have to land certain attacks to "cash in" your hits for big damage -- sort of run up the combo counter and cash it in to actually hurt people.

Can anyone verify this at all? If so, it seems like nobody is playing it right haha. That damage is LOW.

I'm not a big fan of 20+ hit combos necessary to play KI. It's visually impressive sure but I prefer the slower, more tactical approach to fighting games like Tekken and SC.

No, I don't like all the tag combo clusterfuck that is MVC3 either :P
I'm sure KI will do just fine though! That chipper damage is just not for me lol

so wait... what the fuck just happened?

they said I get the full game for forty... but the fuck is season 2?

there goes your tourney scene KI.... forever in casuals is where you'll be.

Did you really expect the FGC, which is full of Playstation and Capcom fanboys, to embrace a whole new fighting game by a newbie developer exclusively for Xbox?

That aside, I think the way they're planning it is the best way to go. No more rushed characters or story mode or any of the other resource-consuming garbage nobody really cares about. By releasing nothing but the raw game, they can focus on making it the best they can.

you know, for a second there... I did. Not because it's a whole new fighting game by a newbie developer exclusive to xbox. But because it's Killer Instinct, and there is a nostalgia factor in play.

But when you're able to cherry pick how you want the game, I think it ruins any real competitive angle you're trying to make.

That said, I don't think this is a good way to go. Yeah, you don't have story mode at all in the beginning, and you play with 6 characters out the gate, but then you have to wait until next year for the full game regardless. IF you want that. otherwise, you're stuck with the 6 and you lose the 2. Then you have season 2 whatever that is, which I'm assuming is like how capcom does their annual updates to balance/ new characters etc, and however they do that like season 2 plus where again you get the full season two years from now or some bull shit. I'm sorry, that doesn't let you focus on the core gameplay, it lets you play an incomplete version of the game until it's "finished".

aren't those called demos? So you're paying $15 or $20 for a demo... but then you have a free to play version where you only get Jago.... which again.. is a demo. but you pay $40 for the full game that you have to wait for, next year where you'll get everything except online play. Meanwhile you play the $15 demo until that launches. Do you really feel good about that purchase? I sure as fuck don't.

but again, why do I think this isn't the best option? because it feels like a corporate maneuver to fulfill MS's demand and their promise made at e3 for this game to be a launch title. It's like they figured out they wouldn't be able to finish the game on time but they don't have the clout to say we need more time, so they're releasing an unfinished game first by polishing majority of the title for launch and then letting people have the full game next year when they actually complete the game. WITH no online play. they're still working that out apparently.

so to me, it doesn't look like separate pricing models. It just looks like one colossal fuck up and they're trying to apply make up on it so it doesn't look that way. Meh.. time will tell I suppose.

you know, for a second there... I did. Not because it's a whole new fighting game by a newbie developer exclusive to xbox. But because it's Killer Instinct, and there is a nostalgia factor in play.

But when you're able to cherry pick how you want the game, I think it ruins any real competitive angle you're trying to make.

That said, I don't think this is a good way to go. Yeah, you don't have story mode at all in the beginning, and you play with 6 characters out the gate, but then you have to wait until next year for the full game regardless. IF you want that. otherwise, you're stuck with the 6 and you lose the 2. Then you have season 2 whatever that is, which I'm assuming is like how capcom does their annual updates to balance/ new characters etc, and however they do that like season 2 plus where again you get the full season two years from now or some bull shit. I'm sorry, that doesn't let you focus on the core gameplay, it lets you play an incomplete version of the game until it's "finished".

aren't those called demos? So you're paying $15 or $20 for a demo... but then you have a free to play version where you only get Jago.... which again.. is a demo. but you pay $40 for the full game that you have to wait for, next year where you'll get everything except online play. Meanwhile you play the $15 demo until that launches. Do you really feel good about that purchase? I sure as fuck don't.

but again, why do I think this isn't the best option? because it feels like a corporate maneuver to fulfill MS's demand and their promise made at e3 for this game to be a launch title. It's like they figured out they wouldn't be able to finish the game on time but they don't have the clout to say we need more time, so they're releasing an unfinished game first by polishing majority of the title for launch and then letting people have the full game next year when they actually complete the game. WITH no online play. they're still working that out apparently.

so to me, it doesn't look like separate pricing models. It just looks like one colossal fuck up and they're trying to apply make up on it so it doesn't look that way. Meh.. time will tell I suppose.

Calling the game F2P was a mistake, we all know Free Jago = Glorified Demo(You do have access to Online Play, Online play for the actual game will be there at launch. It was the OG KI included in $40 bundle Ken Lobb said would not have Online Play)

Round One(Season) is 8 Characters(6 at launch and the other 2 as they come out. You've paid for them. They'll simply download. Or if you waited til all 8 are out....you'd get all 8.). Round 2 will probably be an additional 8 characters...and there will probably be a Round 3. Each at $20...rounds out to $60. Which is a full retail game ($80 if you went Ultra in Round One, which is no more that most SEs and LEs for retail games) This also will bring the cast up to 16-24 characters total in the end. Granted, yeah. It sucks to have to wait for the rest of the characters but that blame can be pushed on to MS. Double Helix seems pretty fucking focused on making this game great and sadly, MS didn't give them enough time. Promising the game as a launch title. And going back on one of their hottest exclusives(nostalgia or not) on the console right now? No way!

Regardless. I'll be shelling out for the $40, Im hype for this game. Just slammed a late pre-order on an XBO few days ago(they fixed all the issues I had, even the mandatory Kinect requirement is gone. also. friends list.) and I can't wait to play it.(as well as next gen)

thanks for clearing that up Rek.
at the same time, I still can't find myself getting behind that. I don't know, it just bugs me and something in the pit of my gut is holding up red flags to that.

continuously waiting until you get the final game piece meal doesn't sound good to me.

I'm happy you're excited tho. My excitement kinda died when they threw all this shit out, and my want for this game and the system kinda just went with it. I don't know we'll see.

maybe if I get an impulse buy mode, I might cop an xbox, but my better half is slowly taking control of my money. I guess you can call that married life.

thanks for clearing that up Rek.
at the same time, I still can't find myself getting behind that. I don't know, it just bugs me and something in the pit of my gut is holding up red flags to that.

continuously waiting until you get the final game piece meal doesn't sound good to me.

I'm happy you're excited tho. My excitement kinda died when they threw all this shit out, and my want for this game and the system kinda just went with it. I don't know we'll see.

maybe if I get an impulse buy mode, I might cop an xbox, but my better half is slowly taking control of my money. I guess you can call that married life.
It was a gigantic, huge mistake to release this game the way it is, but I think Rek hit the nail on the head. This game is done in the sense that there are six playable characters, but only because they focused on making those characters work before focusing on the other potential characters down the line.

This game will cost $60 to play in full. Maybe more down the line if given piecemeal, but I'm OK with that. Why? Because SF4 costs close to $200 if you've been playing it from the beginning, and if they feed me content slowly without charging me $60 up front in the beginning I think it could work.

But yeah, this price method just reveals how unfinished the product is.

And that's perfectly okay. I'm just not comfortable with it, so I won't partake. The way I see it tho, is that this is unlike capcom by one thing:

Quality.

Capcom makes dlc and updated versions but they let you know what's added to it. Not just characters and stages but balance issues as well. This is the same for basically all their ports. With KI you're continuing to go until you get a finished product. Sure, you pay for only what you care about, but I see you buying a broken and disjointed game. But I would hope balance changes are made, but I haven't read anywhere where that would happen. Just 6 at launch and 2 next year. And however rek outlined it. So it worries me about getting an unfinished game piecemeal. I would rather pay 60.00 for a complete experience than 20 here, 15 there, and 30 over there... I guess I'm too old fashioned

And that's perfectly okay. I'm just not comfortable with it, so I won't partake. The way I see it tho, is that this is unlike capcom by one thing:

Quality.

Capcom makes dlc and updated versions but they let you know what's added to it. Not just characters and stages but balance issues as well. This is the same for basically all their ports. With KI you're continuing to go until you get a finished product. Sure, you pay for only what you care about, but I see you buying a broken and disjointed game. But I would hope balance changes are made, but I haven't read anywhere where that would happen. Just 6 at launch and 2 next year. And however rek outlined it. So it worries me about getting an unfinished game piecemeal. I would rather pay 60.00 for a complete experience than 20 here, 15 there, and 30 over there... I guess I'm too old fashioned
Nah, I get that and it makes complete sense. But at $20 I can walk away not feeling burned if I didn't like it and it doesn't seem like good updates are coming, while $60 for a game without good balance updates hurts more.

Pretty sure Double Helix is going to do everything in their power to make sure this game is AAA quality, this is their big moment. Their shining star. You can definitely expect updates and balance patches(feat. THE INFINITE POWER OF THE CLOUDlol). Hopefully this means when actually needed and not demanded.

If anyone is turned off by the Roster number to the Price tag. Then I would suggest diving into the game later when more is simply available.

That sounds all well and good. It just doesn't sit right with me. Especially with their plan,
and especially how I know companies work. It's like they would want to have updates and balance patches, but let's be serious.. it costs money for all that, and MS gave them how much to do it, that's the key to all of that. Like you said, everything in their power.. but what's in their power? in other words, what's their budget looking like?
dunno. And about characters, who's left? We got six left by my count not counting eyedoll or gargos or any of the ki2 cast.

Lets see

Cinder
B. Orchid
Tj combo
Fulgore
Riptor
Spinal

So then six at launch and two next year for a total of 8 characters. That means two will be left for season 2.... So two years to get the original full roster... That's just great

Last edited:
Talking about the roster, I wonder who the last two characters will be. I'm hoping Orchid and Fulgore.

That's just some early Glacius concept art.

gt_killerinstinct_exclusive_glacius_wt.jpg

Glacius.png

Killer-Instinct-09-07-13-001.jpg

Back