Lost Swords

I always thought that fighting games should develop better storylines. I know it's not what everyone wants from a fighting game but that's not a reason not to have a good, fleshed out plot. That's why I was really excited for SCV's story mode. I could tell they had something going: infact I think Pat is a much better protagonist than Siegfried. I think the game being rushed is why the story came out so faulty, I wish they could redo it. I can agree with the statement that I enjoy the characters and their backstory, but I also find a lot of enjoyment actually fighting other players. That's what the game was built upon, right? I'm sure they didn't make Soul Edge by saying "let's make a game about an evil sword." They probably said "Let's make a weapon based fighting game with characters from around the world, so players can choose their favorite and play against each other." I think maybe his statement was wrongly translated, or he didn't think about it well enough. I think we can all agree that we sort of care about the characters. If you're a Xiagnhua player, you were probably interested about Lexia, who she was and where her mother went. If you were a Tira player, you were probably interested why she doesn't follow Nightmare anymore.

I'm pretty sure you are one of the people who spent the most time complaining about how bad the story mode was and that you spend most of your SC time in CAS.

I may be wrong though.

Almost totally missed the target, you must have missed
"As for me for a SC chapter with the gameplay i like and the cast i like, i will kill the entire cas mode and story mode without think twice" :D

While in months of hype waiting the game is fun chit chat about every shit (story included why not), the moment i've disc in my hands i don't give a flying fuck about story mode, arcade with cheap skecth at the end is all a single player in a FG need

First months i was all about the game (not like i never touched CaS, but the big time was all about VS with friends and pratice)
Believe or not i was even one of those that asked many times for an option to disable CaS on online matches

Now most of my SC friends don't play anymore, i lost the initial wow, soon i will re-buy SSF4, waiting USF4 in Q1 2014
CaS? Yes as now i'm using almost only it. I'm designer as true job, see nothing wrong play with it as exercise

But again, is because for this chapter "i'm done" with SC, when a new one come out will again spend fuckton of hours on VS and pratice, caring only about gameplay

I started play SE on coin-op and later SC1 on my Dreamcast, and it was yet my favourite FG... years and years before editors and useless long single modes show theyr faces

And again maybe my english is'nt clear but i retry
I don't say SCV is casual
SCV is fucking solid
I say Namco wanted casuals money too and now you have them in the audience

For Christ's sake, the other day one of last friends that still play encountered online an human case with a pregnant CaS that started texting him the fanfiction of the character (of course, nobody asked for it)
WTF
We have pros TK have pros, but only we have special individuals like that freak, camon

Make a game only single for casual for them is WAAAY easier, they have nothing too serious to care, even if let's say, Lost Swords Zasa or Talim are overpowered who give a fuck, nobody will complain because LS is'nt going to be a true SC, just a marketing move to eat casual money
They will not bother on matchups, balance,beta-testing
Do shit and sell it easy and fast

They watched -part of- the audience and seen market potential to gain, simple as that

You was hoping for a true SC and no this shit? I was too
But at this point let them make wierdo's money and hope they will recycle it for a true SC(6?)

Last edited:
I always thought that fighting games should develop better storylines.
Well I would definitely love a fighting game with a good storyline, but just not SC. Or any of the big names of the genre for that matter. These games were designed around gameplay, and the story was just an afterthought (whih is why they're all so terrible). I think it would be interesting to see, say, JRPGS, adopt FG-esque battle systems.

Almost totally missed the target, you must have missed
"As for me for a SC chapter with the gameplay i like and the cast i like, i will kill the entire cas mode and story mode without think twice" :D
I don't remember ever seeing that first quote you said you made so forgive me for misreading your earlier comment if you did in fact say that, although I can't seem to find it.

I just dislike the fact that PS seem to be listening more to the people who play dress up over the people who actually play this game.

Funny how people who like story and single-player are criticized constantly
It's not really, actually it is really obvious why this happens. Especially since we got that tweet about SC players "not liking to lose" - I'm pretty sure this is because of the 99% of rooms on PSN and XBL being "No <insert random character's name> or kick" or "CAS Only" or even "Anime only".

These people are either considered bad at the game or casuals. Therefore casuals (generally the people who enjoy single player and story mode) have now, to everyone else's dismay, made Lost Swords into a single player only dressing up game. So I don't see why it's hard to believe these people are flamed and whatnot.

I don't remember ever seeing that first quote you said you made so forgive me for misreading your earlier comment if you did in fact say that, although I can't seem to find it.

I just dislike the fact that PS seem to be listening more to the people who play dress up over the people who actually play this game.

No problem dude, believe it or not we are more or less on the same boat, even with my professional bias fetish for design :D
(btw the post is the #506 on this page)

About that this is my double side opinion:
positive- i don't think they listen more them, i believe that just to make money is easier make a retard casual oriented spin-off than a serious chapter
negative- i believe is a dangerous trend. If LS give them some money for SC6 is all good, but i just hope it don't do too much moneys if you get what i mean. I hope wierdos that give zero fuck about gameplay stay as they are supposed to be, a boost to the sales and nothing more.
Don't want them to become main part of the target, but maybe is too late

Please elaborate. I don't see it.
Pai Chan is the stereotypical Chinese female in different medium. Only now, she has some genki girl habits. Very small, but it's there.

Now Eileen is just borderline Genki Girl.

Akira is the Hot Blooded hero.

Well I would definitely love a fighting game with a good storyline, but just not SC. Or any of the big names of the genre for that matter. These games were designed around gameplay, and the story was just an afterthought (whih is why they're all so terrible). I think it would be interesting to see, say, JRPGS, adopt FG-esque battle systems.
SC has always had modes built around story (Edge Master Mode, and technically Arcade mode with the endings). Only now they've had a mode that is not only canon, but provides cutscenes after cutscenes.

Story, in general, may not be first priority, but you can't necessarily have a SC game without it. It's not like VF, whose story is all in the manual.

The truth is that we can do without a story mode (or a linear one like SCV anyways), but without a story? I doubt it, and like past SC games it would have to be displayed somehow. Either through arcade mode with character endings, or Edge Master mode.

Last edited:
Any fans the series gains from this will just end up with the mentality they expect people to have, unable to handle losing, and being disappointed that the single player isn't as extensive, and... these are not the people you want to attract, they are not the people who will put out a good word or support the community.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't get it. Online is a huge catalyst for anything aesthetic... I... ugh...

I agree. It seems most unfortunate that SC has to live under the shadow of Tekken. I believe I remember hearing of tournament participant numbers going down quickly months after SCV came out. Why can't SC retain numbers like Tekken!!

I agree. It seems most unfortunate that SC has to live under the shadow of Tekken. I believe I remember hearing of tournament participant numbers going down quickly months after SCV came out. Why can't SC retain numbers like Tekken!!
That's because people cried over characters being normalized & Step G being taken out.

Play the Tales Series from Symphonia onwards.

Regardless of the mountain of BS we have on our hands here, I'm at least waiting to see what Lost Swords is really doing. Is it going to be the 17-year interlude? Will it be what we never got from 5 story-wise? Perhaps both? Maybe a weird-ass CAS fanfic mode like we got in Broken Destiny?

No matter what, though, it does shit on the FGC when you don't get to play others. And no, ghost battles don't f**king count.

Ibelieve I remember hearing of tournament participant numbers going down quickly months after SCV came out. Why can't SC retain numbers like Tekken!!

A lotta tournament players are fans of the entire FG genre. Hence, due to the timing of different franchise releases, tourney players jump from game to game a few times per year.

money makes the world go round people. If you want the next bigger and better thing (a game in this case), a few things MUST happen.

#1. The previous titles must make a profit

#2. Gots ta have monies to make something else. (rather that come from profit from previous titles, other games, "filler games" such as LS/revolution).

So while having a 1 player SC game may seem like horseshit (and I almost agree), its revenue for namco. We need them to make money. No money=No SC6. bottom line.

If they need money, they could have just released an enhanced edition of SCV with more characters. Hell, they could still have done lost swords as the single player mode of an enhanced SCV and everyone could have won.

Its not that simple. I would thin that making aseperate game like they have, would be much cheaper for them to get out on the market. By inserting this "filler game" while they focus on future projects, is a great way for Namco to test the waters to see wha lt the recpetion will be like.

To have t re-program an entire game to acommidate even a few new movesets would cost tons of money just in rebalacing alone. Dosent seem smart business wise to do that.

Its not that simple. I would thin that making aseperate game like they have, would be much cheaper for them to get out on the market. By inserting this "filler game" while they focus on future projects, is a great way for Namco to test the waters to see wha lt the recpetion will be like.

To have t re-program an entire game to acommidate even a few new movesets would cost tons of money just in rebalacing alone. Dosent seem smart business wise to do that.

This man speaks truth.

Despite what the consumers think, developing, releasing, re-releasing, hell even adding updates to games costs a shitload of money. It has always cost a shitload of money, and it always will cost a shitload of money.

Unless you're Activision.

Not only that, but new technology is on the horizon with next gen consoles. I would hope Namco has their efforts towards this new technology and is buying time till its right. If i were namco, thats what Id be doing. The world is constantly changing. Gotta keep ahead of things.

Well shit biscuit! Losing is like the greatest high, because then you have to figure out how to win. Where is Daishi? Has anyone said lately how the game he produced sold more than dumbass TTT2. Jesus.
What's wrong with TTT2?

Back