Lost Swords

Edge Master but CoTS was much easier to get into because of the cinematics.
I'm getting the impression that you:
  • Haven't played SE's EM mode (either in a long time or at all). There are NO cutscenes, just text in a storybook explaining your progress.
  • Think I'm referring to SCIII's Tales of Souls (aka story mode). I'm not. CoTS is the CaS-exclusive mode, and the majority of the progress there is explained on text (with a coupe of cutscenes before the boss fights).
As for SCII's WM, the story was pretty generic and uninteresting. It was the missions that made it a fun playthrough.

I already said this though. and i am talking about CoTS btw.
I still think you don't get my point. The cutscenes are just a fancy way of introducing the enemies, they don't really contribute the the plot. The underlying story is still conveyed entirely through text, so your argument of "people are too lazy to even read it, so they don't get it" doesn't hold much water.

So again, what makes SCII's story good? I just wanted to see what your opinion is, because right now I don't see it.

I still think you don't get my point. The cutscenes are just a fancy way of introducing the enemies, they don't really contribute the the plot. The underlying story is still conveyed entirely through text, so your argument of "people are too lazy to even read it, so they don't get it" doesn't hold much water.

So again, what makes SCII's story good? I just wanted to see what your opinion is, because right now I don't see it.
I just personally thought it was a good read. Not very many writings that are in 2nd person point of perspective. The writing was well done as well. But like I said. This is personal preference. I found reading sc2's story much more interesting than sc3's. Sc3 to me didn't seem to have as much effort. I don't have any details because I haven't played the game in a while but I remember thinking this at the time though. Yeah it was interesting because it was your own character and it introduced other CAS characters as well but the writing lacked depth to me. Speaking of; does SC have any novels or novellas?

Well it's not a JRPGS but Blazblue does have an actually good story. It's easily the best story for any fighting game created.

Soul Calibur's story didn't use to be so bad. Soul Edge's story was decent. Not AMAZING, but every character was different, having their own background and motives, and Edge Master was fun.
Soul calibur's story for me started to fall apart when the atmosphere stopped feeling like a serious yet dark themed fictional history documentry and turned into a long unfunny cliche-ridden Naruto/Inuyasha-Filler if you know what I mean. I wish they would write more stories like Pyrha's.. so dark and sad like Vincent Vangogh. (within a similar feel). SC could easily have the best story telling of any fighting game if it was delivered in a much more accessable way with more direct engagement with plot movement and held your hand a bit more to help people follow along like Winnie-the-pooh's narration.

I will post a picture later but upon further inspection of one of the screenshots, it seems that a character's CE is dependant upon what weapon you have them equipped with. Maybe they will make 2 CE's simultaneously available:( 236, 236 and 214, 214) but it seems that again, it's equipment based but a secondary CE will nonetheless be possible.

I will post a picture later but upon further inspection of one of the screenshots, it seems that a character's CE is dependant upon what weapon you have them equipped with. Maybe they will make 2 CE's simultaneously available:( 236, 236 and 214, 214) but it seems that again, it's equipment based but a secondary CE will nonetheless be possible.
lol. that sounds like bloody roar logic. 236x2 or 214x2 for different supers. except with bloody roar animations weren't instant. you had to be a sneaky bugger to get that stuff off.

lol. that sounds like bloody roar logic. 236x2 or 214x2 for different supers. except with bloody roar animations weren't instant. you had to be a sneaky bugger to get that stuff off.
OMG Nagi the Spurious made Bloody Roar 4 look like Mortal Kombat!

Luckily CE's are easy combo finishers. Speaking of combos, I got nightmares after seeing Mitsu execute a full combo off of 2A. His blade is angry and I do not want to taste it. At all.

What a stupid shit, are they trolling us?
No, they're addressing specifically the area where SC5 got the most hatred, like it or not most people centred their outcry more toward the lack of a competent single player presentation than anything else... Even the serious reviews trashed the game on how choppy the story was and how poorly written the character personalities were (Patroklos/Pyrra/Natsu/Xiba)... so what are they doing here? Giving those people their single player mode. For the other people who dont care, they have SC5 as is. Its a weird move though but I appreciate the fact they addressed it at all. You guys are acting as if this overwrites SC6. For what we should be hoping for is that this clears up the debate on what happened to the peviously missing characters. (Though sometimes I'm afraid to know seeing what they did to cervantes....) I just hope the writing isnt as god-awful in this version.

i mean that SC2 didn't have cutscenes for it's weapon master mode. and there was a box of text before every mission. if you read it all then it's actually a damn good story. but the thing is, how many people would read through that much text for over 100 missions? i don't know about Edge Master but CoTS was much easier to get into because of the cinematics. there was substantial less reading in SC3 than SC2's story.
This is why I say they need to have an audio narration and illustrated screencaps like Tekken does so that we arent forced to memorize walls of silent text. TBH most people don't really see how detailed and deep the SC story really is because of this fact AND none of the endings are ever canon outside the favoured ones PS chooses. I didnt like SC5's format though even with the cinematics because of the favouritism. It gave certain more characters screen time than others who needed it and flipped back and forth between them which broke up the flow and made character development skip over itself just to keep up with the leading character... MK's style doesnt work for SC because SC isnt a story about one person, everyone's story happens independantly at the same time until they come together. SCV's style just mushed everything together rushing the pacing.

Last edited:
Jesus Project Soul, you're really killing this franchise...
Any fans the series gains from this will just end up with the mentality they expect people to have, unable to handle losing, and being disappointed that the single player isn't as extensive, and... these are not the people you want to attract, they are not the people who will put out a good word or support the community.
I do agree somewhat with you and think that if PS pushes too much of this type of marketing but aren't using the idea for the right areas. As it is now they might be negatively conditioning the newer fans to only enjoy this series centred around dressing-up and flashy gimmicks not even related to the premise of the game.

I started to see this at the end of SC4's popularity, that people were started to identify the series based around its CAS mode, and the Star Wars guests but not catagorize it within the same praise Tekken and SF gets as hardcore fighting games. I mea most of SCV's sole advertisement was the teasing of dressing up Pyrrha in maid outfits (more cartoony anime cliches). I mean I have no problem with CAS but I wish it wasnt so fetishy the way they market it. It would have had more subtlty and relevance if they just gave us all armour or cultural clothing instead of the cartoony wackniness SCV's pushed for. (Not to mention the tone of the story being TOO light hearted and corny at times for any depth to settle.) Now I find the way CAS is done as more of a distracting decoration mode for people instead of an addition from the game itself. Personally if the CAS mode was done more like it was in White Knight Chronicles it would have been perfectly fine. Its very subtle but only noticable for people who look for it and the costumes given are relevant to the potrayed setting. It wouldn't look like such a dress-up game within itself if it didn't make itself into such a joke.

Its meaningless because thats pretty much all my group does with SC games. We make characters and play each other with them. When I want to make pretty pictures and not functional characters, I use Daz Studio, not Soul Calibur.
My solution to this audience division problem is a logical compramise.
This "LOST SOULS" type thing would have worked if they made a subseries for CAS itself. I mean if they said their making lost souls for people who hate competitive play then don't make them fighters. Give those people an RPG or action adventure exclusively for CAS. An even crazier idea would be to not have CAS in the main titles at all - BUT the ability to download your CAS from the subtitle game INTO your file of the main fighter like an add on. (Basically have 2 seperate worlds with the option to come together.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sha
The only two times the story was good were SE's Edge Master mode and SCIII's CoTS.

Other than that, it's always been a mess.
"Story Mode" and "Story" can be two completely different things....

The story itself has always been good. Not the best, but not the worst. At least it doesn't revolve around a tournament like most games.

Now story mode is a mixed crowd. I agree that both SE and SCIII's Edge Master Modes delivered it much better. SCII's was like typical FG's, since the Edge Master mode itself was not story driven at all. Only the player is put into a quest. SCIV's is a condensed version of that.

I honestly didn't even know the Weapon Master mode was SCIIs story?????

I ain't have no time for reading all that text I was a child lmao bye

No, they're addressing specifically the area where SC5 got the most hatred, like it or not most people centred their outcry more toward the lack of a competent single player presentation than anything else... Even the serious reviews trashed the game on how choppy the story was and how poorly written the character personalities were (Patroklos/Pyrra/Natsu/Xiba)... so what are they doing here? Giving those people their single player mode. -.

But don't you think this is a little extreme? Having no multiplayer whatsoever? How does complaining about one aspect of a game translate into the removal of another?

But don't you think this is a little extreme? Having no multiplayer whatsoever? How does complaining about one aspect of a game translate into the removal of another?

This is what the fans asked for. They were bitching about not having enough single player and now they got it. This is why I sometimes despise some parts of this community. The moment PS tries to please they always pull something else out of their ass.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting something but I wish everyone would stop complaining and appreciate what we're getting because we could have gotten squat.

what i want is at least some online multiplayer without the shitty server features. disconnecting 8 out of 9 matches is the reason why i dropped the game in the first place. i have no offline scene here so online is all i have. if i can't play anyone online then what's the point of playing the game, if i can't enjoy it.

I do agree somewhat with you and think that if PS pushes too much of this type of marketing but aren't using the idea for the right areas. As it is now they might be negatively conditioning the newer fans to only enjoy this series centred around dressing-up and flashy gimmicks not even related to the premise of the game.

I started to see this at the end of SC4's popularity, that people were started to identify the series based around its CAS mode, and the Star Wars guests but not catagorize it within the same praise Tekken and SF gets as hardcore fighting games. I mea most of SCV's sole advertisement was the teasing of dressing up Pyrrha in maid outfits (more cartoony anime cliches). I mean I have no problem with CAS but I wish it wasnt so fetishy the way they market it. It would have had more subtlty and relevance if they just gave us all armour or cultural clothing instead of the cartoony wackniness SCV's pushed for. (Not to mention the tone of the story being TOO light hearted and corny at times for any depth to settle.) Now I find the way CAS is done as more of a distracting decoration mode for people instead of an addition from the game itself. Personally if the CAS mode was done more like it was in White Knight Chronicles it would have been perfectly fine. Its very subtle but only noticable for people who look for it and the costumes given are relevant to the potrayed setting. It wouldn't look like such a dress-up game within itself if it didn't make itself into such a joke.

My solution to this audience division problem is a logical compramise.
This "LOST SOULS" type thing would have worked if they made a subseries for CAS itself. I mean if they said their making lost souls for people who hate competitive play then don't make them fighters. Give those people an RPG or action adventure exclusively for CAS. An even crazier idea would be to not have CAS in the main titles at all - BUT the ability to download your CAS from the subtitle game INTO your file of the main fighter like an add on. (Basically have 2 seperate worlds with the option to come together.)

I agree. It's aimed more at casuals but the casual market is a big supporter of the SC franchise, weather it be they love the story, characters, or just like to create custom characters. I've seen a lot of bad players who play all day because they don't play to be competitive.

I think if Namco can tap into the market for casuals and use really awesome customization equipment to bait them into buying more things, that would be pretty efficient. Either way, the more SC games the better I guess, the game needs more fame.

This is what the fans asked for. They were bitching about not having enough single player and now they got it. This is why I sometimes despise some parts of this community. The moment PS tries to please they always pull something else out of their ass.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting something but I wish everyone would stop complaining and appreciate what we're getting because we could have gotten squat.

Well, if they wanna please all fans then make a good offline and good online, it´s the obvious and right answer.

Back