[MD, VA, WV] sure is dead here

lol, you people took my post seriously? You obviously don't know me very well.
Sorry if I struck a nerve or something by saying that C3 needs hype, but something Tiamat said needs to be brought to attention: The idea that money = hype.

Some people might need the pressure that money brings to play right, I don't believe in it. Money on the line's not going to make you come up with something you didn't have to begin with.

Truth, and more truth.

First off,

The element of money in a competitive match is more or less just a psychological placebo. Some people think it will make them play better, and some believe it does make them play better.

Bullshit.

Money on the line introduces psychological pressure, which effects some physiological factors such as nervousness, increased heart rate, sweating, adrenaline rushes, etc. All of these do nothing to improve one's game. I'm hoping most, if not all, of us are learned enough to know that those physiological responses are there for "fight or flight." This is the same psychological/physical reaction you go through when you're scared as fuck to ask some chick you like out, or if you're in a dark room and someone you didn't know was there suddenly grabbed you and yelled, or if someone swerved in front of you in traffic and you had to slam on the brakes.

Point is, the adrenaline rush and increased heart rate don't magically make you play better, which is probably what some, maybe most, of these money-match fiends believe. Those physiological responses only help you haul ass faster if you need to run from an immediate danger, or give you a slight strength boost if you need to kick some ass and eliminate an immediate danger.

That's all it fucking is. You won't magically play perfect games and shit just because money is on the fucking line.

It's just affixing pride or ego to a material item. People are obviously driven by the material, especially the quantifiable kind, such as money, because it seems to me that to a MM-fiend, whether they know or not, the quantity of said material item is proportionate to the amount of pride/ego on the line. Which do you think will cause more controversy: a $100 MM or a $2000 MM?

If you think about it, there's no difference between a grudge match and a money match. There's only the perceived notion that money matches are better and create more hype because the amount of pride on the line can be quantified.

Two or more parties at odds, no matter if there is money involved or not, can, and will create hype. How someone sees and reacts to said conflict (giving in to the hype or not) depends on their perception of what creates hype.

It's all perception/opinion.

Just like how Thrilla says when he thinks hype, he thinks of JM vs Bronson MM (I think it was for $1000, not $500. Don't quote me on that) and Sanford vs Duc at Evo. It's his opinion.

Just like how I say when I think of hype, I think of Steve Harrison vs Minerva_SC, SWBeta vs Wallstreet, Needs More Whyte vs Waspinator, etc. Yeah, I think some MMs are hype as fuck, but not because of the money; because of the level of gameplay I'm going to be seeing. An example being YoungManRiver vs Bobino T5DR FT10 MM for $1000 (I think it was $1000, not sure).

But yeah, I'm tired of typing. Please don't say that no money involved doesn't mean there isn't HYPE present. It's your opinion that money = hype, and that's fine, so long as you don't pass it off as fact. It's my opinion that good gameplay, funny ass feuds, and friendly rivalries = hype.

Once more: Essentially, there is no difference between the two types of "hype-builders," if you will. Only difference is the psychology/perception behind them.

Finally, I didn't mean any insult by the term "MM-fiend." I just couldn't think up of an easy to type term for the believers in MM = hype. Maybe MM-lovers... lawl

Anyway, being semi-serious gives me a headache. I need a break.

Next UMBC Weekly GO!
Hudathan is trash, Moroha is trash, and so is Wallstreet. Minerva is so trash, he doesn't even deserve to be in the trash can--he's under it. Grudge matches galore on Wednesday, GET HYPE!!

We also need to get some team tourneys going. Team feuds always make for good times.

H~Y~P~E~!

Don't need money to play one's best. The UMBC weekly is an attempt to cultivate a richer SC scene here in MD, not a way to discourage some and give bragging rights to others. Imagine how few people we'll have in the SC scene here if I charged every potential player money just to hang with us. I personally have no interest in playing with money against people I essentially learn the game with, there's no hype when you do that period. Good game play is hype, not money. Plenty of money to be made out there in the world, it's not why I play games. Some people might need the pressure that money brings to play right, I don't believe in it. Money on the line's not going to make you come up with something you didn't have to begin with.

nods*

yep. I don't play any harder than I already do Regardless if money's on the line or not. I play as hard as I can WHENEVER I play. Last thing I think of in a tournament is the money to be honest. I'm there for the game, crowd, experience and the fun. Money's just a bonus. I got a job. Hence I don't believe in or do MM's. Not knockin what anyone else does, this is just my point of view.

lol

Well, I believe in money matches and winning cash for games cause it is nice. However, it doesn't effect my gameplay.
I can honestly say money would make people play worse if anything though and its nice having a free tournament because the scenes are much bigger and more comfortable. Its real good tournament practice.

Once again, I need a ride to NEC!

I have some hype for you everyone.

Come to the December C3 and see if you can beat me. *insert uninspired trash talking here*

There ya go.

Hudathan is trash, Moroha is trash, and so is Wallstreet. Minerva is so trash, he doesn't even deserve to be in the trash can--he's under it. Grudge matches galore on Wednesday, GET HYPE!!

We also need to get some team tourneys going. Team feuds always make for good times.

H~Y~P~E~!
I nail you every time in tournament son!!! But you're right about Team feuds, that would be hype. Maybe 2 man teams to make it easier?

VA: It's true, C3 needs more hype, but we're a victim of location more than anything else. On a given day we're lucky to scrape together 10 tournament players, and that will just not do. Couple that with this C3 coming on the heels of Thanksgiving and the general lack of willingness that most gamers ever have when it comes to RSVP makes it hard to justify putting aside the time just to prove the suspicions right. I think the only way to jump start C3 is for you guys to hook up with Misato and the rest of the NOVA people and make it a regular thing down there like we did up here at UMBC. I'm 99% positive that people only started coming to UMBC legit because a bunch of us made it a serious and consistent get together, albeit small at first but the important part is that it showed. Because honestly I don't go to tournaments for the possibility of making some money, I go to have a good time, and I'm sure the rest of MD are like me and are afraid to make the drive down just to end up playing mostly the same people we usually do. I personally don't put much faith in small local tournaments anymore, the scene isn't strong enough for that. I can only depend on majors for a guarantee that good players will show and a decent tournament can actually happen.

I nail you every time in tournament son!!!

That doesn't mean shit! You're still trash!!

lol, <3

2-man teams is a great idea. We usually don't have enough people for 3-man teams, but 2-man could work great!

Come to the December C3 and see if you can beat me. *insert uninspired trash talking here*

There ya go.

You're not doing it right, man!
You gotta call someone out, and sound like you mean it!
Don't add that *insert uninspired trash talking here* line.
You gotta be into that shit!

Depending on what date C3 is, I might not be able to make it. I usually have class 6 days a week, including Saturday from 2:30pm til 9pm. By the time the semester is over, it'll probably be right before Xmas week, and holding a tourney around that week will obviously be a waste of time. December is too busy for me :(

December is a terrible month. Once school's over I'll be in LA visiting the folks. NEC caps off the year for me.

You're not doing it right, man!
You gotta call someone out, and sound like you mean it!
Don't add that *insert uninspired trash talking here* line.
You gotta be into that shit!
ex. Tiamat's all gimmicks, he's lucky I don't got time to come down to C3 to spoil his party.

That's hype right there.

There ya go.

Eh hehe. I'll let swordofdios know about that. now THAT is a fight I look forward to.

Well honestly I don't think of Steve H vs Minerva as hype. Regardless of money on the line or not hype is created by the skill levels of the players. I hate to say it (well actually I don't) but Steve H nor Minerva are really that good at SC4. Just keeping it real. Now I know Steve H is a beast when it comes to other games like CVS2 but in SC4 he's basically an average player.

Hype matches have already been mentioned in this thread already so I don't really need to give examples.

Hudathan vs Thrilla Raph Mirror HYPE match FT10 GO!

Also, might as well bring this shit up early, so people can mark it on their calendars and save money and practice hard. I'm planning on going to FRXI. I need a head count of how many people from this area are going. Depending on how many people are going, I'll see if we can pitch in and rent a van or something.

I only plan to be there for Saturday, because SC4 tourney is going down that day. We'll leave Friday night and come back Saturday night or early Sunday morning. We'll see when we're there.

If there's lots of interest, we'll also need to start training hard as fuck. UMBC wednesday nights won't be enough. We'll have to find other days/times/sessions to get some hardcore training in.

There was no hype for me vs steve harrison, all I remember was "YO STEVE HARRISONS HERE? YO MINERVA VS HARRISON GRUDGE MATCH HE'S BEEN TALKIN SHIT, I'M GETTIN THE CAMERA" from Huda or Beta, or both, and that was that. Course I did say he ducked out when he saw he was up against me a few weeks back, that probably had something to with it, maybe, who knows..........

Yep. I can't make it to NEC as BAD as I wanna fight OOF and Jaxel. bad timing though. Gl to those who are going and I am looking to make it out to a few c3's at least within the near future.

Also, might as well bring this shit up early, so people can mark it on their calendars and save money and practice hard. I'm planning on going to FRXI. I need a head count of how many people from this area are going. Depending on how many people are going, I'll see if we can pitch in and rent a van or something.

I only plan to be there for Saturday, because SC4 tourney is going down that day. We'll leave Friday night and come back Saturday night or early Sunday morning. We'll see when we're there.

If there's lots of interest, we'll also need to start training hard as fuck. UMBC wednesday nights won't be enough. We'll have to find other days/times/sessions to get some hardcore training in.

Just in case people missed it the first time.

Back