Mitsurugi General Discussion and Q&A

I'm not very confident against Algol yet and I'm not sure how he's supposed to play is really figured out yet anyways.

Generally I feel most comfortable against Algol in his face. His backdash and wiff punishment with 3b* makes playing around mid range feel quite risky. Against all his fireballs just side step and move forward. You can think of side stepping like neutral jumping a fireball if you want a SF analogy.

Look for 2b+k, b (low kick into fireball). If you block the first hit at close range jg the 2nd for a free 3b. If you block it further out you can QS the fireball and punish. Also if they do this as part of a combo don't tech or you'll get juggled by the bubble. Take the hit on the ground then stand up to block the bubble. If you stay on the ground they can hit you into the bubble as well.

Look for 1a you can block it on reaction for 236b. If you can jg it on reaction you get 4kb or crouch cancel 3b (i.e 4~3b).

His 22a is -0 on block iirc so be careful after blocking that. You might want to just 2a to interrupt.

Watch out for his 6kk, the 2nd hit is high but tricky to punish. A lot of normal from crouch options like fc1b will wiff. Instead duck it and cc~3b (i.e. 6~3b).

Watch out for his 8wr right/back k (11 on p1, 77 on p2). It's got like more than half screen reach is low and spaced correctly seems to be safe. If spaced incorrectly you get 236b on block.

Algol basically only has to win 2 rounds. If he wins 2 rounds he's probably got 2 super bars and Algol with 2 super bars basically gets a free round. 66b into 2bar super does 70% or more with clean hit.

Algol's command throw is an A break so favor breaking A against most Algol players.

Algol has a backdash counter (4b+k) that gives him ~50% damage. If he wiffs this launch him with 3b or run up 33b if he's far away.

His 4ba is punishable by 3b on block from most ranges. Be careful you're in range though because if he blocks 3b he gets 4ba. This move also give him a really easy damaging punisher for sidestepping almost anything you do so be careful using linear moves.

Look for 6bbb. You can duck the 2nd hit (which prevents the fireball from coming out) and punish with 236b hold. If you miss ducking it 22b around the fireball and he has to block it.

If he does hcf a+b, a+b block the first fireball sidewalk the 2nd hold 3/9 for a moment then hit with 33bb or 33b 236b. If he does the BE version and you don't correct in time you'll just get 11b which will still hit. This is really only for scrub busting no good player should be using this outside of combos afaik.

3aa is pretty strong anti side step, be sure to punish it with 6b9 on block.

Algol's ws kk is really annoying because you can charge the 2nd hit to a guard crush and release at any time which makes it hard to just guard. Side step left even on hit if he charges it at all, it's a combo if he releases it early enough but if he charges too long you get 236b hold. If he starts doing it uncharged on block you get 236b.

His chair vortex is a really annoying gimmick, BT b+k and BT a+b. The easiest way to deal with it is to move forward when he's going to teleport.

Also fc 1bb is guaranteed pretty much always on normal hit against Algol.

I'm looking for some ideas for close-range melee!

(Using Pyrrha as a test dummy)

Once I have someone up close blocking basic attacks I like using
4A
6B

It seems these moves give enough time (or push back) for me to counter a horizontal strike by using 1A. It is a seemingly very slow low-hitting move that knocks down on hit.

If the opponent starts to read this and answer with vertical strikes I'll quick step and than a whole bunch of options up.

That is pretty much my offense when Im literally in someones grill, lol. Aside from the 2K,B BE every now and then Im not sure what else I should/could be doing?

Random question: What does "UN" mean? It was in the guide but I couldnt find where it said what UN stands for.

Hilarious online tactic: Use 7/8/9A+B and if they block immediately do a 8A+B. This has worked almost every time without failure. It is super dumb how many times you can get people with this before they try and time it.

I'm not very confident against Algol yet and I'm not sure how he's supposed to play is really figured out yet anyways.

Generally I feel most comfortable against Algol in his face. His backdash and wiff punishment with 3b* makes playing around mid range feel quite risky. Against all his fireballs just side step and move forward. You can think of side stepping like neutral jumping a fireball if you want a SF analogy.

Look for 2b+k, b (low kick into fireball). If you block the first hit at close range jg the 2nd for a free 3b. If you block it further out you can QS the fireball and punish. Also if they do this as part of a combo don't tech or you'll get juggled by the bubble. Take the hit on the ground then stand up to block the bubble. If you stay on the ground they can hit you into the bubble as well.

Look for 1a you can block it on reaction for 236b. If you can jg it on reaction you get 4kb or crouch cancel 3b (i.e 4~3b).

His 22a is -0 on block iirc so be careful after blocking that. You might want to just 2a to interrupt.

Watch out for his 6kk, the 2nd hit is high but tricky to punish. A lot of normal from crouch options like fc1b will wiff. Instead duck it and cc~3b (i.e. 6~3b).

Watch out for his 8wr right/back k (11 on p1, 77 on p2). It's got like more than half screen reach is low and spaced correctly seems to be safe. If spaced incorrectly you get 236b on block.

Algol basically only has to win 2 rounds. If he wins 2 rounds he's probably got 2 super bars and Algol with 2 super bars basically gets a free round. 66b into 2bar super does 70% or more with clean hit.

Algol's command throw is an A break so favor breaking A against most Algol players.

Algol has a backdash counter (4b+k) that gives him ~50% damage. If he wiffs this launch him with 3b or run up 33b if he's far away.

His 4ba is punishable by 3b on block from most ranges. Be careful you're in range though because if he blocks 3b he gets 4ba. This move also give him a really easy damaging punisher for sidestepping almost anything you do so be careful using linear moves.

Look for 6bbb. You can duck the 2nd hit (which prevents the fireball from coming out) and punish with 236b hold. If you miss ducking it 22b around the fireball and he has to block it.

If he does hcf a+b, a+b block the first fireball sidewalk the 2nd hold 3/9 for a moment then hit with 33bb or 33b 236b. If he does the BE version and you don't correct in time you'll just get 11b which will still hit. This is really only for scrub busting no good player should be using this outside of combos afaik.

3aa is pretty strong anti side step, be sure to punish it with 6b9 on block.

Algol's ws kk is really annoying because you can charge the 2nd hit to a guard crush and release at any time which makes it hard to just guard. Side step left even on hit if he charges it at all, it's a combo if he releases it early enough but if he charges too long you get 236b hold. If he starts doing it uncharged on block you get 236b.

His chair vortex is a really annoying gimmick, BT b+k and BT a+b. The easiest way to deal with it is to move forward when he's going to teleport.

Also fc 1bb is guaranteed pretty much always on normal hit against Algol.

Man, that was an awesome response. Sorry I couldn't reply quicker just got caught up with work and stuff. A number of counters there that I wasn't aware of.

Funnily enough, I don't find his fireball gimmicks that irritating unless he's using it in a form of pressure string at close range to go for more mix-ups (2B+K). And I'm still working on my JG execution after a block (sort of like a red parry in SF 3S) JG on it's own is alright, but doing it after blocking a number of hits in a string seems much harder.

I normally try to hit him while he's in the recovery of his chair teleport with a B3 and more often that not it's timed so that I can get the CH if he's opting for spikes. Risky, but he can be hit out of it. If I have any gripes with his character design it has to be the move that catches you walking or doing any back movement (even when mitsu starts his 4B). He can easily get an 80% combo off it if he has the meter. He's definitely a powerful character and must be approached carefully.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that if you connect with 3b, 236b is going to be better than having your back to them.

I find just guard is extremely hard so i dont bother with it.
Anyhow, Anybody got tips for the viola and raphael MU?
Viola scares me because I have no idea how to handle her attacks.
My mom mains Raphael and she always kicks my arse when we play.

Against Raph - sidestep a lot - but dont try to backstep too much as his attacks have good range and can touch you. Raph's main weakness can be said that he sucks at tracking to the side. After sidestepping him, make sure to punish him with the best tools Mitsu has. Utilise mid TC moves once he gets into PREP can close him down to some extent.

Has anyone mentioned that if you transition into Mist using 66B+K (or 88~6B+K) the transition retains super tech crouching frames similar to SCIV? I was just doing some minor testing and it easily goes under Mid's like Pyrrha's 236B.

I'm disappointed that after entering mist you cant use 66 more than once to "dash" under mids and highs like in part 4. But my biggest beef is the removal of mist 6b. This was a legitimate mid move that would keep opponents honest from ducking. On nh, mist b+k leaves you at slight disadvantage and you remain in mist. :(

No idea against Viola, but Raphs are generally going to be looking to hit you with 22B into their 3(B) BB BE combo string. Mitsu can't punish his 22B on block since it's only -10 and a mid hit, so I find the best solution is to move with Raph every time you see him step. If he QSs, QS with him, and force his 22B to whiff. You can throw in your own 22B after you step him for a free CE (or two!) or hit with 33B to launch.

If you keep stepping his 22B on reaction, he might start throwing out 8wr A moves, but these are fairly low damage, and are all punishable on block with Mitsu's BB or AA.

Otherwise, what Luneth said. Don't backstep, as you're likely to get caught by his 236B. Depending on range, poke him out of his Shadow Evade when he goes into it. Be consistent in stepping.

Practice mode. I know that's not the answer you were looking for but it really is the best option. Tips? Mitsu's low attacks are probably his best feature. Some people don't bother since they took his Relic stance out but I still use Mist a lot so you should try combo-ing into that then unleashing the pain. His standing attacks are pretty fast too so they're pretty good for getting you out of trouble, but Mitsu's a more defensive character in this game (if you ask me anyway) so try keep your opponent at bay, he's got some pretty decent pokes/ranged attacks (4B, 4KB, 7/8/9 A+B) for a character who's pretty much an all close-range fighter. Some of the other guys will be able to give you far better tips than these but they're something to keep in mind. Mitsu's a pretty easy chatacter to learn and packs a lot of power, I've been playing him since I first played SC II back in the day and haven't looked back since. =)

ARgharghagrhgagrh! Does anyone have a reliable way of getting non-JF version of this in a combo - (for example after 236B BE?). I can get it normally, but in a combo, it sometimes comes out buffered as a JF!

I've tried:

6B6412
6B632
6B412

I'm trying to find an input method which means the JF will have 0% of coming out ... any suggestions?
Thx!

Yeah im curious about this too, its unbelievable how annoying it is when the JF comes out and you end up getting hospitalized because of it.

6b2 after 236B BE inputed too quickly or 'buffered,' results in a 6B:2. The visual cue to avoid this is to wait for the character animation to have returned to neutral before performing 6b2.

6b2 after 236B BE inputed too quickly or 'buffered,' results in a 6B:2. The visual cue to avoid this is to wait for the character animation to have returned to neutral before performing 6b2.
This is a good tip, I've tried it and it works
The other way is memorizing the timing, which isnt very hard when you've been around SC-series for over 5 yrs like myslef, but is a real pain for newcomers.

The problem I still get is to get normal version alot after dashing forward. I really have to make it slow to prevent jf from coming out. Then again, I generally have trouble getting non-JF version out, even outside of combos

If you keep stepping his 22B on reaction, he might start throwing out 8wr A moves, but these are fairly low damage, and are all punishable on block with Mitsu's BB or AA.
not true 22A its -10 on block
Actually matchup have been reversed from scIV now it seems mitsu has better pokes and more range..
If you QS a lot you risk 1K, A+B,A combo....
22B is good and also 11BA
raph suffers crouch and pokes more than step now......
If a raph does the mistake of entering stance NEAR you FC1BB is granted even on counterhit (except an awful K option nobody use), otherwise he can get out of range with prep4, or SE and punish heavily.

This is dumb though, they should patch that. Or make Cervy iGDR JF super easy like this so it always comes out too.
I bet this is a typo in their code somewhere. Instead of a 2 frame window for the JF timing, someone wrote 12.

I just input it as 2 different motions on my stick.

For the jf I slide from 6 to 3.
For the non jf I hit 6 let the stick go to neutral then hit 2.

not true 22A its -10 on block
Actually matchup have been reversed from scIV now it seems mitsu has better pokes and more range..
If you QS a lot you risk 1K, A+B,A combo....
22B is good and also 11BA
raph suffers crouch and pokes more than step now......
If a raph does the mistake of entering stance NEAR you FC1BB is granted even on counterhit (except an awful K option nobody use), otherwise he can get out of range with prep4, or SE and punish heavily.

Is the FP guide wrong about 22A with Raph? If so, I'll be using it more when I play him. Guide says -16 on block.

I wouldn't generally step within 1K range, but it shuts down most of his long range moves. And what's your reasoning with regard to crouch? Most of Raph's bread and butter moves punish crouch: 66B, 3B, 22B, BB.

Absolutely Agree. i use to rush into the 6b2 and the end result was the just frame. As you said best tip is to wait for character animation to recover to neutral. Perfect example is after connecting 66A+B. I try to sneak in 6b2 and the result is the jf version because I didnt wait long enough for mitsu to recover.

Back