Most Esteemed One-Shot Contest Thread.

If it's cool with Pocky, one more new 3P for the contest.

VIOLA 3P: TOKYO LOLI
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png.jpg
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_19.png.jpg
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_4.png.jpg

Detailed critique of contest entries in progress. Good luck!

Last edited:
Would everyone like a little extension time to finalize their CAS stuff? After this contest, I'm gonna sift through CAS forums sometime and post my best CAS for 8wayrun's finest thread. I might as well gather the best from other artists too. Who's up for the challenge?

Then as your Senior CAS mod, let us vote. I vote for Harrawesome. brucege and Quinion were close but Harrawesome's entires were all strong save for Cervy. I probably add/subtract a couple of things, but they're minor.

brucege
brucege tackled on Tokyo Viola very well. When an animish design isn't sexualized or just stupid, then most times I like them. In fact, a clean and well detailed one with simplicity always deserves my attention.

Voldo Pyrrha creeps me out because I would never dress up anyone that way. Taking off the "kill it with fire" goggles, it's loaded with details.

Quinion
The only problem is he played it safe with 2 old yet awesome CAS. If he unloaded everyone of his designs he would secure the win.

HolyCarp
Astaroth is Rastaroth. HolyCarp is Jolly Carp. I can't say much except that it looks the part just like how brucege's Tokyo Viola looks the part. Only difference is I prefer brucege's Viola more.

Then as your Senior CAS mod, let us vote. I vote for Harrawesome. brucege and Quinion were close but Harrawesome's entires were all strong save for Cervy. I probably add/subtract a couple of things, but they're minor.

brucege
brucege tackled on Tokyo Viola very well. When an animish design isn't sexualized or just stupid, then most times I like them. In fact, a clean and well detailed one with simplicity always deserves my attention.

Voldo Pyrrha creeps me out because I would never dress up anyone that way. Taking off the "kill it with fire" goggles, it's loaded with details.

Quinion
The only problem is he played it safe with 2 old yet awesome CAS. If he unloaded everyone of his designs he would secure the win.

HolyCarp
Astaroth is Rastaroth. HolyCarp is Jolly Carp. I can't say much except that it looks the part just like how brucege's Tokyo Viola looks the part. Only difference is I prefer brucege's Viola more.
Which among Harrawesome's creations would be your favorite? This info will be helpful when I count the votes.

I vote for brucege's Tokyo Loli Viola!
Not a big fan of anime designs otherwise, but I think this one is intriguing.
And some other costumes that I think are worthy of becoming a 3P:Tekken 1 Yoshimitsu, Quinion's Yoshimitsu, Soft Colored Natsu, Pocky-Yoshi's Leixia and Rastaroth (in no particular order).

In a world...where SpecEq combos and bump mapping dominate our CaS....one man did not give a fuck.
That would be @HolyCarp with his Rastaroth. He looks exactly as he's supposed to: a co-op weed farmer. I mean, look at him. He's too stoned to bother putting on his goddamn shoes. He does have the forethought to roll himself that thick-ass blunt before heading out to harvest that fresh batch of sticky icky though. That's what I call priorities. Totally in character too. God knows the poor golem needs an occasional break from all that crushing and mangling. Probably why his eyes are always cashed too. Anyways, Rastaroth for number one.

@Quinion
Warthog Yoshi: Solid design. That helmet is really cleverly made. Appropriately earth-toned palette. I like how the spikes on the shoulder kinda follow through with the tusk/warthog motif. I see that you carried the unchangeable blue color on the shoulder pads all the way down to the feet too. Great detailing without relying on DLC. The epitome of CaS mastery. My choice for second. I give first to HC's Rastaroth for two reasons. The first is that it actually got me laughing, one of only three or four CaS's in all my time in 8WR. The second is that it's really hard to make a convincing modern CaS like that in SCV.

Taiga Mitsu: Creative use of the raccoon tails to extend the tiger pattern up the torso. It's a great 3P, but I have two problems with it. The first is that I still see Xiba everytime I look at that shirt. The second is the pants. The geometric pattern, the flames, and the calligraphy are tacky. They remind me of this guy in high school who always wore silk shirts like this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...v25wnHqdV7U3fjxe8sLinE01gKklFOTb4oOZUkOQur7dh

@Pocky-Yoshi
Battle Leixia: Basics at their best. Sharp color matching. I think I reviewed this one already. Great job though.

Fencer Yoshi: I really like the angle you're taking this, but the connection to fencing isn't clear enough unless you make the uniform all white. I'd definitely give that a try.

Mummymitsu: Steampunk cyborg/mummy. Not something you see everyday. I like it. Interesting bracelet.

Natsu 3P: I can't tell where you're going with this one. Those space-age shoulder pads really confuse me. Are you going for cyberpunk ninja or something?

Color Block Hilde: That color blocked pareo is totally chic. Love that color contrast. A ton of detail up top too, maybe a bit too much. But great job bump mapping the neck and torso. My favorite of this group. Very promising.

Kung Fu Farmer Mitsu: Interesting change of perspective for Mitsu. Cool belt buckle. Nice splash of color. Not sure about the flame stickers, but I see that you're adding cohesion to the design.

Hilde-hime: I get the warrior princess vibe you're going for, but that big, billowing skirt just distorts the silhouette too much. Perhaps go for a more Valkyrie Profile kinda look? And is that a reference to Rob Stark? He's got a lot in common with Hilde. Fighting for their families and shit. Naive. Moral to a fault. Wolf theme. Yeah, I can see Hilde on the wrong side of an SCV red wedding.

@Harrawesome:
Captain Raph: Hmm...it's a great foundation. Interesting pirate hate you made. Good job merging the school jacket with the waist cloth into a trenchcoat. I'd recommend filling in that white border with some kind of snazzy pattern for some bling factor. I'd replace those pants with something with more detail. You might opt for the cowboy pants which includes an extra belt. Or you might go for the legit 1700s look and swap in some knickers and stockings with buckle shoes. I see you're getting the hang of hair extensions too. Subtle, but effective.

Pirate Mitsu: Very fun. This samurai pirate mash up is very promising. Try adding a red and gold border along the bottom of those pants using two zipper stickers (position reset and axis to eliminate stretch effect). This will help bring some detail to the lower half. The red and white palette on the pirate/samurai hybrid looks a bit too Gundam. Definitely cut down on that white. With a few tweaks, this one could be really great.

Tekken Yoshi: This is where red and white look great together. You wanted the Gundam look, and you nailed it. Skillful color matching. Very well done, especially the waist armor.

Arabstaroth: Veeery nice. That color palette just screams 1001 Nights. Great sticker/pattern layering. All I'd do is bling out that hat with a goddess feather brooch + jewel or something like that. I could totally see this guy serenading Kim Kardashian as Jasmine on a magic carpet. In terms of character design, he'd be my number two, but Quinion's technique is OP.

Cervy and Sieg 3P's: Nice! I've reviewed these previously.

Edit: this is Rastaroth's BGM. Or really just at 2:39.

Last edited:
In a world...where SpecEq combos and bump mapping dominate our CaS....one man did not give a fuck.
Genuinely lol'd at this. Your description of Rastaroth was just perfect.

Anyhow, my vote goes to @brucege's Tokyo Loli Viola. I thought I'd seen far too many uninspired loli designs, but this one is a brilliant example of how it should be done. A very creative use of stickers to imply some sort of laced corset/dress, and there are enough intricate patterns and asymmetry to make the outfit interesting and unique, but not so much that it looks busy or compromises the overall theme.

I also really like Quinion's Mitsu and Harrawesome's Asta and Cervy, which made it really tough to pick a favourite.

As for Brucege's Pyrrha; it's like Voldo took a dump all over Pyrrha's concept art. And I love it.

Edit: this is Rastaroth's BGM. Or really just at 2:39.
I was gonna post his BGM...
But then I got high.

Just decided to share some 3Ps like the above.

Nightmare
CNiPPtKUAAAQOK4.jpg

This is based on his persona as Graf Dumas.

Pyrrha
CNiPOeqU8AIb1CR.jpg

CNiPNWtVAAAMk2p.jpg

This is based off the ending to SCV's story, where's she reverted to normal but still has the monster arm.

Tira
CNiPL17UkAAMb7I.jpg

CNiPJxqUAAAL2TU.jpg

This is based off unused SCIII concept art.

DISNEY
7a393390-3ae4-47c4-9f71-e662de876896.jpg

Technically, Disney includes old Pixar movies, Pirates of the Caribbean, and even Star Wars now, but try to stick to the classics. As usual, try to put your own spin on things. Feel free to draw inspiration from outside sources. History, Once Upon a Time, Google Image (shite's amazing), etc. Extra points for cyberpunk Pinocchio or goth-loli Jafar. Deadline for submissions is Sunday, September 20. Have fun!

Edit: Damn, look at Scar sizin' up Bambi on the left Kappa. That can't end well.

Last edited:
Disney characters huh? This won't be easy, much of the designs don't really lend themselves well to be recreated faithfully in CAS.

Back